Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

massive spider posted:

Its taken me far too long to stop trusting sound guys. I used to be all "well why *wouldn't* you want to work with the sound guy to get the best sound? I've he makes a suggestion he probably knows best"

On tour, every time we play at a bar or anything ( we usually do DIY venues ) I ask the sound guy if he doesnt mind us playing on the floor. First its more intimate which is nicer, as long as you dont have 100+ people its fine. Smaller people can stand on the stage to watch, it's kinda rad. And second, we practice and play mostly with no PA help so we know each other alot better with out it and it sounds more familiar/comfortable. and lastly most sound guys are egotistical and lazy which is a terrible combination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

jwh posted:

What's the wattage rating of the resistor? And what resistor is it?

Its the middle white guy in the picture. Not sure what position it is but it is on the board with two others and looks like the power section, ie connects to caps/OT. The only other place they have a similar looking resistor is powering the LED.

It smokes up a bit when turned on, way too much for me to be comfortable leaving it on. Its at his house and I didnt have my multimeter at the time so couldnt get a read on anythign just figured I should know a bit before I dive in there. Thanks dude

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Thinking about getting a cheap (~$100) practice amp just for playing at home. Looking around the Mustang I seems to be pretty highly regarded, would that be a good option? I don't really play high-gain stuff so that wouldn't be a deterring factor.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
A few months ago my amp blew it's fuses at the start of a gig, and I had to borrow some pa being used as an amp. Skip ahead a while and I finally take a look at my amp. Blown fuse and odd smell coming from the back. I think I blew the tubes too. poo poo. Fast forward, I left the band and finally set aside some time to look at it better. I also bought some new fuses and a set of JJ GC6L6s for it.

I play it on the high channel and hear a cracking and popping. I look at the chassis, which I took out of the cabinet to make the tube swap easier, and I see the powertube flash white too. I turn it off, let the amp cool down, I check out what's happening with the low channel. No pops, no flash, but a sizzle comes in and fades out.

So I'm kinda pissed since I spent a year without my amp while a guy took a look at it. He's not a super pro amp repair guy, but he's modded and maintained all the amps at the practice space I used to go to. But when I brought him my amp after the powertubes failed years ago, he replaced some resisters and he ended up loving around with the inputs on the amp. I can't remember if he said he had to to get to the board, but the amp was kinda weird ever since. Prone to some pops, especially when rolling back the volume and it suddenly cutting when i get to 0.

I don't want to bring it back to him, but I don't want to pay $300 to have someone better fix it.

tl;dr: My Sovtek Midget 50H is a headache sometimes.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Understanding posted:

A few months ago my amp blew it's fuses at the start of a gig, and I had to borrow some pa being used as an amp. Skip ahead a while and I finally take a look at my amp. Blown fuse and odd smell coming from the back. I think I blew the tubes too. poo poo. Fast forward, I left the band and finally set aside some time to look at it better. I also bought some new fuses and a set of JJ GC6L6s for it.

I play it on the high channel and hear a cracking and popping. I look at the chassis, which I took out of the cabinet to make the tube swap easier, and I see the powertube flash white too. I turn it off, let the amp cool down, I check out what's happening with the low channel. No pops, no flash, but a sizzle comes in and fades out.

So I'm kinda pissed since I spent a year without my amp while a guy took a look at it. He's not a super pro amp repair guy, but he's modded and maintained all the amps at the practice space I used to go to. But when I brought him my amp after the powertubes failed years ago, he replaced some resisters and he ended up loving around with the inputs on the amp. I can't remember if he said he had to to get to the board, but the amp was kinda weird ever since. Prone to some pops, especially when rolling back the volume and it suddenly cutting when i get to 0.

I don't want to bring it back to him, but I don't want to pay $300 to have someone better fix it.

tl;dr: My Sovtek Midget 50H is a headache sometimes.

could you post a clip of what the sounds exactly are? sounds like it might be a transformer issue, or some weird voltage jumping. Caps usually just get quiet and thin when dying.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

I don't want to risk blowing my amp right now to get a vid. I will describe it as a loud sharp pop or crack when I'm playing on the HI Gain input, and a quiet crackling that fizzles out in the Low Input. The white sparks only appear when I'm playing through the high gain input.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
does it sound like a "flag flapping in the wind at all"? also does it start immediately when you get off standby or is any noise present during standby?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

It's random, except when I'm on the high gain, it seem to do it more often the harder i'm driving the tubes. It's only when the signal is coming through. I'm going to have to check the pins at some point.

I think I know what you're describing with the flapping flag sound, and I'm going to say it kinda does.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Sounds like some sort of grounding issue which is a huge head ache to diagnose. Check the solder joints on the tubes, they could be getting too hot and when they do, weakens the joint.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Try different power tubes. Just because they're new doesn't mean they're any good.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Thinking of picking up a EHX 44 magnum power amp to use as part of a stereo rig I'm working on. I have a heavily modded peavey valveking 112 with a vintage 30 and have thought about getting a Mesa Boogie Royal-Atlantic/Trans-Atlantic 1x12 cab with the Celestion C90 to be either always clean or just the 2nd channel of my dd-20 delay. Any other 1x12's that would complement a Vintage 30 well?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Right now I've got a DA5 (babby's first amp) and a vox AC4TV. The Vox is nice, but it does seem to break up really early. The Fender models on the DA5 are decent, but that tiny speaker can only do so much. Are there any 5Wish amps that would complement the AC4 and give me some nicer clean tones? I don't own a single piece of gear more than $400, so just buying a princeton or something doesn't feel right. The odds of me ever playing anywhere other than my house are extremely low.

(I'm thinking of running the DA5 as the wet out from my superego so I can use the built in effects on it rather than sacrificing one of my other pedals to the loop)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

havelock posted:

Right now I've got a DA5 (babby's first amp) and a vox AC4TV. The Vox is nice, but it does seem to break up really early. The Fender models on the DA5 are decent, but that tiny speaker can only do so much. Are there any 5Wish amps that would complement the AC4 and give me some nicer clean tones? I don't own a single piece of gear more than $400, so just buying a princeton or something doesn't feel right. The odds of me ever playing anywhere other than my house are extremely low.

(I'm thinking of running the DA5 as the wet out from my superego so I can use the built in effects on it rather than sacrificing one of my other pedals to the loop)

Headroom is determined by wattage and speaker efficiency so you're either going to need more than 5 watts or you're going to need a more powerful speaker (which will be louder). Maybe the HT5R?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

no dad im not gay! posted:

Try different power tubes. Just because they're new doesn't mean they're any good.

Well, i found the original tubes they came to me with (just some sovtek 5881s). I swear, if those tubes i got aren't any good...

I've got to check the pin connections still, i've had no time to pull the amp chassis out.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Understanding posted:

Well, i found the original tubes they came to me with (just some sovtek 5881s). I swear, if those tubes i got aren't any good...

I've got to check the pin connections still, i've had no time to pull the amp chassis out.

It's common with new stock tubes, sadly. Either they're defective from the factory or from being knocked around in transit. If the 5881's in question were the ones that were in your amp when you the fuse blew I wouldn't use them. I'm sure your guy replaced the grid screen resistors after the power tubes failed in a spectacular fashion. Can't explain the input issue.

Try tapping sharply on the JJ's with a wooden chopstick. If you see arcing in the tube's glass ("flashing white") and/or experience the popping noise whenever you strike it then you have a bad tube and need a new pair.

edit: Depending on how bad the previous power tube failure was I wouldn't rule out arcing between pins of the tube socket from carbon deposits so it wouldn't hurt to look.

no dad im not gay! fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Feb 24, 2015

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
How would you guys describe the sound of a fender front man 25?

I played my buddies and really dug the clean sound. It has an almost acoustic like quality to it that I can't explain.

I'm looking for a larger, gig able amp with this same vibe.

I've owned a jc120, and currently own the JC 55, and while they were pristine, the tiny frontman practice amp has an earthiness to it.

Any suggestions?

I play 90℅ clean

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

no dad im not gay! posted:

It's common with new stock tubes, sadly. Either they're defective from the factory or from being knocked around in transit. If the 5881's in question were the ones that were in your amp when you the fuse blew I wouldn't use them. I'm sure your guy replaced the grid screen resistors after the power tubes failed in a spectacular fashion. Can't explain the input issue.

Try tapping sharply on the JJ's with a wooden chopstick. If you see arcing in the tube's glass ("flashing white") and/or experience the popping noise whenever you strike it then you have a bad tube and need a new pair.

edit: Depending on how bad the previous power tube failure was I wouldn't rule out arcing between pins of the tube socket from carbon deposits so it wouldn't hurt to look.

no, the 5881s were in the amp when I bought it years ago, I only changed them out because I wanted a better sound. They should be in fine working order.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

philkop posted:

How would you guys describe the sound of a fender front man 25?

I played my buddies and really dug the clean sound. It has an almost acoustic like quality to it that I can't explain.

I'm looking for a larger, gig able amp with this same vibe.

I've owned a jc120, and currently own the JC 55, and while they were pristine, the tiny frontman practice amp has an earthiness to it.

Any suggestions?

I play 90℅ clean

Look for a used Frontman 212r or a Peavey Bandit

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

havelock posted:

Get a Vox Night Train. Same general character, but lots more clean headroom and better overall sound when cranked. I got mine with the matching speaker for about $400 on Ebay.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Mmmmmmmmotherfucker.

Some guy on my local Craigslist posted a really nice Silvertone 1484 twin twelve head/cab... for $500 OBO.

Dammit, I really don't need any more gear, but it's such a good deal :negative:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Schpyder posted:

Mmmmmmmmotherfucker.

Some guy on my local Craigslist posted a really nice Silvertone 1484 twin twelve head/cab... for $500 OBO.

Dammit, I really don't need any more gear, but it's such a good deal :negative:

Buy it and flip it.

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
Buy it because it looks cool. I have one, but I really don't dig on the sound the way I thought I would. I have a 1482 that kicks the ever loving poo poo out of it.

I find the 1484 very dry and thin

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

rt4 posted:

Get a Vox Night Train. Same general character, but lots more clean headroom and better overall sound when cranked. I got mine with the matching speaker for about $400 on Ebay.

I think I'm stuck on tinkering with something new and different sounding. Does anyone have any experience with either the Egnater Tweaker or the Tech 21 Trademark 30? I know they are super different, but they aren't too expensive and seem to offer a lot of variety. Given that my mf drive is solid state and feels responsive, I'm not that worried about the tech 21 not having tubes (especially given the sans amp reputation). Anything else in this vein that I've missed?

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

So I took the snow day to finally pull out my amp head and check the old 5881 tubes. I was actually quite surprised that they functioned fine, but I was not surprised to find they sound like hot garbage. Whatever.

So i turn it off, wait for it to cool, swap back in those new tubes, and it's working perfectly. Or as perfectly as it was functioning before. No spark, no fizzle. Nice tone. Needs to be biased though.

So my only complaint with this amp would be from the hack job done to the low input during it's last big repair. I have no idea why he pulled the jacks out so badly, he couldn't figure out how to get them back together afterwards. Now, whenever I use the low gain input and turn down my guitar, it has a horrible static sound that gets louder as I approach 0. Only when the volume knob on my guitar is turned. Both pickups. Two different guitars. Only the Low Gain input. I loved my clean sounds from this amp, and it kinda makes it harder to work with if it screams bloody murder when I turn it down.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

havelock posted:

I think I'm stuck on tinkering with something new and different sounding. Does anyone have any experience with either the Egnater Tweaker

I own a tweaker and it's a moderately versatile little guy. Pretty loud for the size as well. The only real complaints I have with it is that it's single channel and the effects loop doesn't like to play nice with certain pedals of mine but I think that's just due to the high gain method I've set it up on. The three way amp voicing switch goes from a marshall to a vox to a fender tone.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Bass player is looking at a new gigging set up, and two are cheap on craigslist right now. One is a bassman400 2x10, the other is a 350w hartke head with a 1x18 cab. We play indie/punk stuff. Ideas on loudness/durability? I'm not up on my small bass rigs these days.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Bass player is looking at a new gigging set up, and two are cheap on craigslist right now. One is a bassman400 2x10, the other is a 350w hartke head with a 1x18 cab. We play indie/punk stuff. Ideas on loudness/durability? I'm not up on my small bass rigs these days.

don't get an 18 inch speaker

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
If the head is a HA3500W, that's a really solid, affordable head. I have one I use for rehersals and the odd gig/jam session. Smash is right about that speaker though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, ha3500. Why no 18?

How about that fender?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

They're big. I keep one on end and it's desk height. If you're hauling stuff in cars, will hog a lot of space and suck to unload. Also, I think some might find they're not "punchy" enough without a 2x10 or something to handle fast response and high end. Depends on how much you want the bass to cut through vs rumble underneath the rest of the mix.

What kind of 18 is it, out of curiosity? I personally like big bass speakers, though for gigs I just used a 2x10.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Gorgar posted:

They're big. I keep one on end and it's desk height. If you're hauling stuff in cars, will hog a lot of space and suck to unload. Also, I think some might find they're not "punchy" enough without a 2x10 or something to handle fast response and high end. Depends on how much you want the bass to cut through vs rumble underneath the rest of the mix.

What kind of 18 is it, out of curiosity? I personally like big bass speakers, though for gigs I just used a 2x10.

http://reno.craigslist.org/msg/4913327723.html

That's the listing. Size isn't a thing. And yeah, punchiness would be good, but an extension cab could always go with this. He'll be upgrading from a 200w ampeg 2x10 that's nearly drowned out when the volume is maxed, so really anything with more oomph is an improvement.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

http://reno.craigslist.org/msg/4913327723.html

That's the listing. Size isn't a thing. And yeah, punchiness would be good, but an extension cab could always go with this. He'll be upgrading from a 200w ampeg 2x10 that's nearly drowned out when the volume is maxed, so really anything with more oomph is an improvement.

Pull the guts from the Ampeg, sell it, and use it as a 2x10 extension cabinet for your 1x18?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sockington posted:

Pull the guts from the Ampeg, sell it, and use it as a 2x10 extension cabinet for your 1x18?

It's been thought of.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
Hi guys - I'm hoping your can help me with a question. I have a Bugera V22 tube amp, which has a strange issue. When the Clean channel is turned to max volume and max master it plays at 30% volume. Switching it to lead channel just cuts the sound. I've looked at the tubes and while both EL84 are bright orange, only 2/3 preamp 12AX7 are glowing - and dimly at that.

It should be said I've never changed the tubes, because I don't really know anything about it, but from what I've read it should be high time they got changed. Does this sound normal or am I two steps from electrocution?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Preamp tubes generally don't wear out. If you want to change the preamp tubes, though, it's really easy to do. Just unplug them and plug the new ones in.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

It's hard to say what's wrong without putting it on a bench and taking a look, but sure, you could replace the tubes. In fact, you can even replace the tubes without electrocuting yourself. Just play through the amp, and shut the power switch off (not the standby). You'll be able to hear the caps discharge as the amp winds down.

I just pulled up the V22 schematic, it's interesting what they did- the clean channel has three 12AX7 gain stages, and the dirty channel has five. They're all cathode biased with bypass capacitors (apparently when they designed this amp they wanted as much gain as possible), there's a negative feedback stage in there, and then there's a cathodyne phase splitter, and a fixed bias supply to the two EL84s.

So here's the thing: you can replace the 12AX7s without worrying about biasing them- they're self biasing. The EL84s, however, should be biased if you replace them. Ironically, "fixed bias," means "adjustable bias." You probably want someone to adjust the bias for you. Otherwise, there's a bias adjustment pot underneath the chassis that you can mess with.

I don't like master volume controls because they're basically starving the power section of the amp and getting gain from the preamp section. I would dime the master at all times.

Anyway, is the amp quiet all the way through the volume sweep, or does it only become quiet in that upper range?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I just looked at the schematic again- i'm going to take a guess, is the second 12AX7 the one that's not lighting up at all? it should be marked V2?

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.

jwh posted:

I just looked at the schematic again- i'm going to take a guess, is the second 12AX7 the one that's not lighting up at all? it should be marked V2?

You are quite right, it's the middle one. Thanks for your long answer, I'm just afriad it's lost on me. I've read about biasing and I grasp the fundamentals, though it won't help me much as - like you said - it's recommended to bring it to a professional.
I also read that normally the power tubes wear out before the preamps - but in my case it's the other way around.

jwh posted:

Anyway, is the amp quiet all the way through the volume sweep, or does it only become quiet in that upper range?

No the volume controls work normally, their output is just heavily diminished.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Ha! I'm proud of myself for guessing. Let me show you what's going on. I'll write something up. It's actually kind of interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Here you go. Long story short, just replace the second 12AX7. You'll be back up and running, and won't have to worry about biasing or anything.

Someone correct me if I say anything incorrect in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsVh35Vgds