Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I probably just got unlucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Shulk Vs. Rosalina. Over and over again today. I was Shulk.

It wasn't fun.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 24, 2015

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Spiritus Nox posted:

Shulk Vs. Rosalina. Over and over again today. I was Shulk.

I wasn't feeling it.

I just unlocked Lucina's Easy Counter 10 times before any of her other customs would come up. Sakurai sure was a dick when he designed nearly everything about this game.

TenaciousJ fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Custom parts are just More Useful Stickers.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dizz posted:

Okay that's good to hear, because spending an extra 40-100 dollars on the game just to get the adapter thing to use a gamecube controller really sucks.

look up the Hori battle pad for smash, works on not only this game but also almost all the virtual console games, unlike the one they hawk you that can just play this game. just hook that sucker into your wiimote and it's good to go.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

MinibarMatchman posted:

look up the Hori battle pad for smash, works on not only this game but also almost all the virtual console games, unlike the one they hawk you that can just play this game. just hook that sucker into your wiimote and it's good to go.

Good poo poo! I'll check it out when I'm all ready.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Dizz posted:

Okay that's good to hear, because spending an extra 40-100 dollars on the game just to get the adapter thing to use a gamecube controller really sucks.
Get the Mayflash GC adapter, it's the same thing for cheaper and also has PC mode support out of the box. I'm in Sweden and got mine for about thirty bucks including shipping from the UK. Figured it was a good investment for when multiplayer with friends would happen too, which is why I ultimately decided on it above the Hori Battle Pad (which does seem pretty good, though - I got to hold one briefly and it felt nearly identical to a GC pad save for being lighter).

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Just be wary of the Hori Battle Pad because lots of users have reported defunct units. You're able to trade them in if they are broken out of the box so it's not really much other than a small hassle, but it's something that has hit quite a few people.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Custom parts are just More Useful Stickers.

The equipment, yes

The moves, noooooooo

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Give them 14 years and I'm sure half the world's pro controllers will be broken. GC controllers are pretty sturdy, though some more than others.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Does that hold true for the new GC controllers? My friend tells me they're a little flimsy feeling.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Does that hold true for the new GC controllers? My friend tells me they're a little flimsy feeling.

The L button on mine gets some annoying resistance to it sometimes

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Less flimsy and more that they used a rougher plastic. It's actually better if you have sweaty hands and is less likely to slip.

The chunky shoulder buttons only affects some new controllers. It's possible to fix if you open it up, but it doesn't really matter unless you play Melee/PM.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
SUPER. SMASH. BROTHERS.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Multiple GC controllers I've owned have developed mushy A, B, and sometimes Z buttons.

I really like the controller but it hasn't been immune to wear and tear.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The L button on mine gets some annoying resistance to it sometimes

Mine was like that and the L button straight up stopped working yesterday. :(

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
As with nearly all nintendo products/game controllers in general, it's worthwhile to buy the proprietary screwdriver they use (Nintendo uses Tri-wing for the GCN controller) so you can clean out the parts and make sure things are sitting correctly. Makes them last a lot longer.

Side note, don't take the springs out of your triggers if you intend to play Smash 4 with the same controller because Smash 4 polls shielding from the analog rather than the button inside the trigger so if you take out the springs shielding doesn't work.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

This must be preserved for the ages. No clip holds the essence of this series better.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
Man, what the hell? I've never broken a controller in my life. It's always so weird to me hearing about people who go through multiple controllers/keyboards. I've used the same keyboard for 16 years and have been playing console games since the NES and have yet to break or damage a controller.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fhate posted:

Man, what the hell? I've never broken a controller in my life. It's always so weird to me hearing about people who go through multiple controllers/keyboards. I've used the same keyboard for 16 years and have been playing console games since the NES and have yet to break or damage a controller.

Have you seen the way people play competitive Smash? People are NOT kind to their controllers.

Apt Funk
Nov 2, 2012
I just got a pretty sweet kill, so I thought I'd share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUYog37T3b8

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Apt Funk posted:

I just got a pretty sweet kill, so I thought I'd share: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUYog37T3b8

And people say the Gale Boomerang is a step down. :allears:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

So it's been a few months. Any consensus on a good way to cheese Classic 9.0 with no deaths? Defensedorf just doesn't seem to work as well on the Wii U as it did on the 3DS.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Little Mac posted:

So it's been a few months. Any consensus on a good way to cheese Classic 9.0 with no deaths? Defensedorf just doesn't seem to work as well on the Wii U as it did on the 3DS.
I somehow got that one on pure accident, in that I didn't even notice it was no-death until the challenge panel popped, and was using Captain Falcon at the time.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I put the vampire badge you get from completing a challenge and a couple defensive stats on Bowser for that challenge. Got it on my first try. I imagine it'd work well with Ganondorf too, especially if you have that drop kick as a custom special.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just got a club nintendo shipping notification, despitie not having ordred anything...I think it may be the Smash soundtrack.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

I just got a club nintendo shipping notification, despitie not having ordred anything...I think it may be the Smash soundtrack.

It's Mewtwo

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

I imagine it's like a jack-in-the-box but it plays the Smash 4 theme and Mewtwo pops out instead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Seriously? I thought Mewtwo was coming after the Soundtrack...and where would there be a physical parcel for Mewtwo?

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

jivjov posted:

Seriously? I thought Mewtwo was coming after the Soundtrack...and where would there be a physical parcel for Mewtwo?

Through dark magic Nintendo scientists have created a real Mewtwo. He laid 4,000,000 eggs and everyone who bought a copy of smash 4 Wii U gets one of his unholy spawn. Strangely, these also function as amiibo.

Pretty sure he was joking. It's definitely the soundtrack

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Apt Funk posted:

Something is so glorious about killing a Link when sucked in by that move.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

jivjov posted:

I just got my soundtrack today, should be that.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I haven't got a shipping notification at all.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Apt Funk posted:

As a Falcon main who frequently gets steamrolled by slippery little Links, this is immensely satisfying for me.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Hey MA smash goons, if you want a tournament to go to in Boston we're having one Sunday!

It's gonna be at the Westin hotel in Boston, and we'll be running Melee, Project M, and Smash 4 (I'll be hosting Smash 4)

If you wanna come tickets are available online and you have to register for tournaments by FRIDAY NIGHT. Ticket info and event details HERE.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Do tournaments usually have an entry fee?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

CEO won't have custom moves legal

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes, they go towards the pot. Venue fees usually also go on top of those.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ChaosArgate posted:

Yes. Generally speaking the tournament entry fee goes towards the prize pool, which is then divided up among top3/top5/whatever. Sometimes some of the entry fee will go toward the venue/equipment costs, and if it's a charity event of some kind the entry will go toward the charity, with the prize being something donated.

The actual amount varies though. Our weeklies are $5 for venue fee and then $3 toward prize pool. This event coming up on Sunday is $15 for venue and $10 per tournament, but the venue is high because it's going to be an all day event with live bands and food and stuff. My charity tournaments are usually $5 entry, but I avoid venue costs by hosting them in my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I understand his reasoning but "why not just allow items then if we'd use customs to set it apart from Melee" is dumb for a whole host of reasons

E: I also really don't like the create a character comparison when they're way more similar to Marvel vs. Capcom assists. Nobody's clamouring for stat mods to be legal (except some smooth lander proponents but that's also open to literally everyone to equip).

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread