Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

DoctorWhat posted:

So I've heard a lot of things about Tigrex over the past two years of my life as a Monster Hunter, but since I started with 3U, I've never fought him. So when the campaign quest to fight one showed up, my eyes kinda boggled out and pure fear overtook my spirit.

What am I in for?

You are never at a safe range. Are you gunning? Don't fire and then reload consecutively without running a bit first. Are you melee? If you think you're safe to drink a potion, reconsider and run a bit more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Van Burace
Jun 4, 2003

Rascyc posted:

There are so many useless armors in this game.

I wish I could wear some of the gunner outfits while wielding a melee weapon.

It would be nice to be able to look like the character was wearing different armor then they actually are, yeah. I've been doing half of a gypceros set for poison immunity, tetsucabra and velociprey armor for most of the game now and it gets a bit old. Still just working through the story line at this point, too, I hope I at least get to look different in the post game. Mining and other gathering also blows, I wish that wasn't so boring. At least the actual monster fights are fun, but good lord I wish the mining and gathering stuff wasn't there.

Although maybe I'd have fewer gathering problems if I could just decide on one weapon type and stick to it, I guess.

(edit) basically all the weapons are awesome and I wish I could gather faster to make all the weapons awesomer, you see

Jack Van Burace fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 25, 2015

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Gravios is hilarious as an IG user because you can just get red up and continually vault into his underside and ride him all day. I love this.

Also, I beat Seregios. That was a good fight. He doesn't hold still enough to vault on much though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

DoctorWhat posted:

and within 30 seconds of the frenzy, i carted

eat for defense

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Capturing Gypce is kicking my rear end.

ANd also Kecha is kicking my rear end.

And I'm not 100% sure if I should get a sleepy lance, or a sharper one.

And I'm not sure how upgraded my lance should be.

I also want to try out the LBG, HBG, and Bow.

Where do I start?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
GOTCHA BITCH

only one cart, IG OP, that was one of the most :krad: fights i've ever had in monhun

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i decided to try charge axe and made the gore one from extra parts. was just learning the moves with the tutorial video in a gathering quest and a loving jaggi popped up. he limped off in less than a minute and i still barely know what the buttons do on this thing :stare:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Awesome! posted:

he's really not that hard. that quest was the first tigrex i had ever seen too. he's a train, get off the tracks.

I captured him my first try and I'm new, I think I fainted once. The way he freaks out when he frenzies is awesome though, I don't remember Congalala's moveset changing a lot but Tigrex seriously starts acting insane -- the attacks were dangerous gameplay-wise but they were also very expressive.

That's one of the reasons I'm getting really into this game, a bunch of the monsters somehow have more personality instilled into them than most major video game characters do, and that's just because of the way they move and attack and act during your fights-- most of them seem to have like less than a paragraph of information written on them and an (admittedly bad rear end) 15 second intro cutscene, practically everything is conveyed through gameplay

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also did the previous games show you and your companion in your current equipment during cutscenes? I only played a couple stars worth of low rank of 3U but I don't remember it happening. I also don't remember the cutscenes being so frequent or looking so cool in 3D. I like how they are very short and very sweet

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
IIRC the older games only showed the monster in in-game cutscenes, and even then it was only for a very few specific monsters like the Flagship monster for that game. 4/4U have really been the first to involve you in the cutscene that introduces the monster in a substantial way.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

goferchan posted:

Also did the previous games show you and your companion in your current equipment during cutscenes? I only played a couple stars worth of low rank of 3U but I don't remember it happening. I also don't remember the cutscenes being so frequent or looking so cool in 3D. I like how they are very short and very sweet

Nope, previous games had cut scenes but they never showed your character.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Stormgale posted:

Just to act as a counterpoint This is the most insane Guard point based play I have ever seen and it is glorious.

:stwoon: gently caress me I can't believe how loving hard that monster got chumped

Time to learn how to charge blade correctly I suppose!

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

:stwoon: gently caress me I can't believe how loving hard that monster got chumped

Time to learn how to charge blade correctly I suppose!

When you get In the Zonetm with the charge blade the only time you aren't doing something aggressive is when you are waiting because a monsters attack is: Quick and slow enough that you cant finish an animation to do anything if you need to GP it. Like I'm nowhere near good with it but when I get into fighting a gore magala or something you can just put so much pressure on the monster.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
The game gets substantially harder as you get further in, right? So far the Gathering Hall Quests through rank 1 and 2 have been kind of a joke so far.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I love to fight the Tigrex, he's one monster that always gets my blood pumping.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
gently caress plesioth tho

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

s magala got chumped. yeah i carted twice, but still, first-try quest and successful subquest to boot

didn't cap because i couldn't tell that he was weak but w/e

i love monhun

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

what's the fastest way into a supercharge? x, xa, xa?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

DoctorWhat posted:

s magala got chumped. yeah i carted twice, but still, first-try quest and successful subquest to boot

didn't cap because i couldn't tell that he was weak but w/e

i love monhun

FYI: can't cap elder dragons, they don't care about your silly tranq bombs.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dr. Carwash posted:

The game gets substantially harder as you get further in, right? So far the Gathering Hall Quests through rank 1 and 2 have been kind of a joke

I haven't been playing at the Gathering Hall but looking at the quest list for rank 3, that's where the monsters start appearing from when low rank single player starts really ramping up. You'll also start fighting multiple tough monsters at once, so I would say yes. Although anything in a full party of 4 will be easier than it would with less people; monsters are harder in the Gathering Hall than they are in the Caravan Quests, but they don't continue to scale up when you add more and more people to your party

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Mithross posted:

huh. then i guess i was perfect after all :smug:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Awesome! posted:

what's the fastest way into a supercharge? x, xa, xa?

I think the fastest is to R+X guard point then X+A, but since I still suck at guard points, I'm not positive. Otherwise, yeah, shield hit into supercharge.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This virus mechanic seems pretty unnecessary/contrived but I guess free extra attack power for no effort isn't really something worth complaining about.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

pnumoman posted:

I think the fastest is to R+X guard point then X+A, but since I still suck at guard points, I'm not positive. Otherwise, yeah, shield hit into supercharge.

You can do it after just a regular block. Doesn't need to be a guard point.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Triarii posted:

You can do it after just a regular block. Doesn't need to be a guard point.

Cool, didn't know that. Guess I need to start blocking more.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mithross posted:

Can't even lay a trap in that fight, it's X'd out

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

First you crack the shell - then you crack the nuts inside!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

DoctorWhat posted:

Ok how the gently caress can you play with the map on the top screen?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok how the gently caress can you play with the map on the top screen?

i literally do not notice the map unless i am looking actively at the map, even big maps like the area in that screencap.

it's even easier to ignore with 3D on, because your eyes focus "past" it.

besides, i've got no room on my touch screen for it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm doing HR5 key quests if anyone wants to join. 57-1789-7037-5892 pass is 6969. I am a winner, you want me on your team.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

besides, i've got no room on my touch screen for it.

Wait what? I have to know whats down there.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
So i've been using a combination of hammer and charge axe for this game, and I'm having a tough time deciding on how to go about picking a weapon. So far i've made a Pecospander, a Bold Barbarian Axe, and a Wild Axe + which i'm working on upgrading since I just got to the third town. I'm happy with those guys, but I'm totally lost on what to look for in a hammer. Any suggestions?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

And when The young monster looked back and only saw one set of footprints in the sand, the hunter said "That is where I Mounted you".

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

The Tigrex HBG is a complete Tigrex skull that hinges at the jaw.
:neckbeard:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Sard posted:

The Tigrex HBG is a complete Tigrex skull that hinges at the jaw.
:neckbeard:

Well I know what I'm hunting tomorrow.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Haruharuharuko posted:

Wait what? I have to know whats down there.

Camera, lock on, large item bar, signal to GET YOUR loving CATS AND THE MONSTER AWAY FROM THE ZONE EXIT/small item bar

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Stupid question but when's the soonest I can hunt a bunch of Rhenopolos in HR? Literally only thing I need for my HR Tetsu armor.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Randy Mythbuster posted:

So i've been using a combination of hammer and charge axe for this game, and I'm having a tough time deciding on how to go about picking a weapon. So far i've made a Pecospander, a Bold Barbarian Axe, and a Wild Axe + which i'm working on upgrading since I just got to the third town. I'm happy with those guys, but I'm totally lost on what to look for in a hammer. Any suggestions?

high raw damage is good, don't really need to focus on an element

just hit things in the face until they die

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Pomp posted:

Camera, lock on, large item bar, signal to GET YOUR loving CATS AND THE MONSTER AWAY FROM THE ZONE EXIT/small item bar

Man all I have on the top screen is my health and stamina. Bottom is big map target lock gestures and items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Back in my day, we played with one screen, and we contorted our hand into a hosed up claw shape, and plesioth could time you out while you can't touch him and his hipcheck would hit you from like 5 feet on the other side and we liked it

• Locked thread