Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Venture Brothers is a day-dream/nightmare of Jonas Sr. as he stands pre-coitus before a naked woman (Rusty's potential mom) and thinks about the consequences of his actions. Once the series ends, the last thing you see is Jonas deciding to not go ahead with it and instead ends up loving Col. Gentleman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I want to believe the sovereign is actually Jonas Venture Sr.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Lord Frisk posted:

Was.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Machai posted:

Venture Brothers is a day-dream/nightmare of Jonas Sr. as he stands pre-coitus before a naked woman (Rusty's potential mom) and thinks about the consequences of his actions. Once the series ends, the last thing you see is Jonas deciding to not go ahead with it and instead ends up loving Col. Gentleman.

Invert it. Day dreams about what would happen if he hosed a woman instead of Col. Gentleman, decides having a kid is a good idea

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Sash! posted:

decides having a kid is a good idea

But only because rusty will outlive him in order to build the teleporter that saves the world

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My favorite joke in the whole special was that scene.

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

reignofevil posted:

I don't have any complete answers but I think they were trying to get across that Dean has been left mentally unwell by his lifestyle and that sometimes that manifests in little breaks from reality; even if it hasn't happened on camera since. One parallel I would draw would be with the episode in season 4 where Dean is learning to become a super scientist through Progressive Rock and has a very similar type of fantasy while searching for inspiration.

I always kinda thought it also had something to do with the general mechanical chaos going on in the engine room at the time. As Dean goes down there, a panicking henchman is saying something about taking a report to the bridge, and then Dean bashes a bunch of pipes in with a giant wrench. So Dean's general tendency toward flights of fantasy + light asphyxia = exciting adventure dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm the dumb guy who never noticed before that at the start of the finale of season 5, Vatred tells the boys he is going to burn down the compound then laughs that he's joking to prepare them for the worst case scenario. At the end of the episode, he accidentally burns down The Monarch's house instead, and in the Gargantua 2 special he's essentially responsible for the compound burning down anyway.

Edit: I also just realized that by removing the ATRE part of his tattoo, he's now Sergeant VD :doh:

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Lord Frisk posted:

The original Jonas Sr., a kind and decent man, died while fighting a devious shapeshifter. Out of a twisted sense of responsibility, the shapeshifter took his form and his life. He led Team Venture and raised Jonas's son as best he knew how. When the boy went off to college, he deemed his penance complete, faked his death, and adopted a new identity: David Bowie, the Sovereign.

Headcanon, until a future episode proves me wrong. So a couple years, at least.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Nothus Infelix posted:

Headcanon, until a future episode proves me wrong. So a couple years, at least.

The episode that confirms this is very good, and a return to form in many ways- but I'm uncomfortable with the stab they took at President Charlotte Clinton.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm going to go with that the eagle shot at the end was a random eagle and not the sovereign.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It's sort of pointless to speculate when I know the guys don't really have a plan going forward, but I took all of the Sovereign stuff at face value that they had just run that part of the show into the ground and wanted out. Cramming it all into one episode, him being cornered and ousted, him not actually being Bowie, and his death, just seemed to be the VB way to say that we're done with this character now.

I'd be willing to believe that he was important in the lore and history of the show and might get mentioned again in some sort of greater context, but moving forward my guess is that he is no longer relevant at all.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The Thing the latest episode tried to express is that the Sovereign is (or was) no more "above" the general atmosphere of failure and frustration than anyone else on the show (except maybe Killenger). They did the same for JJ.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
And while JJ dies heroically, the Sovereign dies ignominiously, where nobody will likely find the body or even know he's really dead. All that work and all those years of building and it ends with a random gunshot.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

The Thing the latest episode tried to express is that the Sovereign is (or was) no more "above" the general atmosphere of failure and frustration than anyone else on the show (except maybe Killenger). They did the same for JJ.

It was interesting that he had no actual plan. At first it seemed like he might be legitimately planning something, but it turned out he was just scared and flailing.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I want to believe they did that "the Sovereign is not actually David Bowie" stuff to allow for the real David Bowie (voiced by David Bowie) to appear and kill the impostor. Why would you ruin such a great running joke if you are not doing a plot twist?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

fspades posted:

I want to believe they did that "the Sovereign is not actually David Bowie" stuff to allow for the real David Bowie (voiced by David Bowie) to appear and kill the impostor. Why would you ruin such a great running joke if you are not doing a plot twist?

This:

ultramiraculous posted:

It was interesting that he had no actual plan. At first it seemed like he might be legitimately planning something, but it turned out he was just scared and flailing.

He was just a loser on borrowed time.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
You know who else is flailing with no actual plan? Doc & Jackson.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

Entropic posted:

You know who else is flailing with no actual plan? Doc & Jackson.

You shut your dirty mouth every single detail has been meticulously planned out since 2002

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Earnestly posted:

You shut your dirty mouth every single detail has been meticulously planned out since 2002

This is actually true. However the plan is as follows:

Step 1. Make an amazing cartoon

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Ror posted:

Cramming it all into one episode, him being cornered and ousted, him not actually being Bowie, and his death, just seemed to be the VB way to say that we're done with this character now.
Well, Sovereign being a fake Bowie was explained last season by Brock. Sovereign was a shapeshifter who used to hang out with Bowie in the '70s. One of the weird people behind Bowie on the cover of the Diamond Dogs album is rumored to be him, possibly in his true form.

fspades posted:

At the very least I imagine they clarified Sovereign being a fake because they'd never be willing to kill off the real David Bowie. A Bowie-less world would just be too terrible for any of the show's creators to even suggest.

With no body found, will anyone really believe that Sovereign is dead, or will they forever be stuck worrying about his return?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Didn't they explain it in the special that he was just a loser who shape shifted into what he really wanted to be?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I just laughed a lot after reading what "A Mother Right: The Elizabeth Morgan Story"" is and remembering rusty was turned on by it.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
So is there actually any word when the next episode is airing or are they deliberately being vague again with "Early 2015"?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well, we know Rick and Morty SEASON TWO OUT THIS SUMMER. THIS. SUMMER. SUMMER 2015. I do not see Adult Swim overlapping new airings of Venture Bros. and Rick and Morty. So, unless it ends up being May for Venture Bros, I would not expect it until fall.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I'm starting to wonder if it'll be 2015.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm starting to wonder if it'll be 2016.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got my Venture Bros hoodie. This thing is comfy as hell.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Wait, do we actually believe a new season is airing this year?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I never believe a new season is airing until I've watched it in its entirety.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Everyone needs to embrace Venture Zen and just accept that episodes will air as they are meant to air. Fretting about time is wasteful.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

Everyone needs to embrace Venture Zen and just accept that episodes will air as they are meant to air. Fretting about time is wasteful.

This is really the only way to go. New episodes are great when they happen, but otherwise don't worry about it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My only problem with this show is that whenever new episodes come out I've completely forgotten what happened in the last season.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Entropic posted:

My only problem with this show is that whenever new episodes come out I've completely forgotten what happened in the last season.

Sounds like a good excuse for a rewatch!

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Entropic posted:

They already dealt with that exact problem in Escape to the House of Mummies Part 2 back in season 2.
That was about 3 seasons back, otherwise known as 9 years ago. (mid-2006)

(can't count season 6 until it gets here, after all)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
So what you're saying is... the gaps between seasons are artificial and are only there to make you buy the DVDs to rewatch?

:tinfoil:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

So what you're saying is... the gaps between seasons are artificial and are only there to make you buy the DVDs to rewatch?

:tinfoil:

Still overthinking it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?

Another Yaz album actually came out since that episode aired.

The third in 30 years.

It could be worse, is what I'm saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6-year plan man
Sep 1, 2007
working hardly, or hardly working?

Jerusalem posted:

This is actually true. However the plan is as follows:

Step 1. Make an amazing cartoon

Step 2: gently caress the fans and their bitching we'll make them wait longer for the next season now.

Step 3: Profit