Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Did a convertible drive the other way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Fail video with a few OSHA stuff, including what looks like a tanker creating some crude oil rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vLlrftRBg&t=58s

The whole thing's worth watching, but check out the truck :stonk:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That 'oil' is smoking. It might actually be molten asphalt.

That's gonna be fun to clean up once it solidifies.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Here's a link to a news article about a different fun asphalt cleanup.

And even when you're simply milling old asphalt, you need to pay attention.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Do It Once Right posted:

quote:

"I guess it was the truck driver that said, `There's a guy buried in here' and I ... found a shovel, and me and another guy tried digging him out," Hill said.
I love the sense of urgency. I get that it was most likely a mad scramble to get the kid out, but the way the article is written makes it sound like, "well we just ambled on over, figured we better grab a shovel.."

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Mad scramble or no, the kid was dead when the 300 degrees Fahrenheit material crushed him.
All following actions were an attempt to give his family a less-cooked body to bury.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOhd9ikNAw

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

aidoru posted:

Better topic: Share your best OSHA moments that you were personally involved in.
One of three times that week when I saw something on fire that shouldn't be on fire while waiting for a train.

Attached to a lamp post, no idea what it was powering.

I sometimes make money on the side installing security cameras. I moved the file cabinet the old video switch and VCR the cameras ran back to and found this

I replaced it with a power supply box like this one

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Do It Once Right posted:

:stare: Good lord, I never want to be involved with hot asphalt ever.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

:stare: Good lord, I never want to be involved with hot asphalt ever.

Yea, that's such a lovely way to go that even getting pulled into machinery would be a better death.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JB50 posted:

Cant fix infrastructure, need all that money to buy votes!

This goes for both parties BTW.

It's more like "we wont fund infrastructure because then a bunch of lazy liberal union members get more work and we demand to eviscerate unions before passing any major infrastructure spending bill. Also, high speed rail is really gay, the Koch bros told us so"

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Feb 23, 2015

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

he was burning his lovely parquet floor!:(

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Do It Once Right posted:

jesus christ. I don't know how it works for mobile equipment but at the plant I work at we have to turn off power sources and physically put locks on them so poo poo like this cant happen.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Do It Once Right posted:

i wonder who was asfault?

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Sorry. drat phone.

Robokomodo fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 24, 2015

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

spacetoaster posted:

Nah, places like Portland (the morrison bridge) are run by Democrats.

Oregon democrats are a mix of of socially liberal and economic libertarians that just happen to vote democratic.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

it has awoken

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Canada?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

it has awoken

oh poo poo, i didn't realize when i posted it but it's the dongkin from The Quest/Frog Dreaming/The Go-Kids

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Oh poo poo, I hope that's fake. The alarm is your horrific screams.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I would've paid good money to hear the conversation between management. "Gee, people keep triggering the alarm on this door marked "emergency exit" by using it during normal operations, got any ideas?"

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

Yes, Vancouver actually.

This was happening at the shop next door today:

I'm not sure how OSHA it is, but anytime i see someone get under a heavy object that is half-supported by a hydraulic hand jack, i get a little nervous.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 25, 2015

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Willfrey posted:

jesus christ. I don't know how it works for mobile equipment but at the plant I work at we have to turn off power sources and physically put locks on them so poo poo like this cant happen.

For a mobile asphalt milling machine the equipment moves as it operates. You'll have an operator and a spotter, and a small additional crew of at most a couple people for odds and ends. Nobody should ever be anywhere within arm or shovel-reach of its belts or moving parts while it is in motion, ever (as grindy-gus found out).

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i wonder who was asfault?

The guy standing directly underneath and behind the dump truck as it was dumping. There was no reason for him to be there (other than being an untrained underage child laborer who decided not to be within line of sight of the truck driver).

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Do It Once Right posted:

The guy standing directly underneath and behind the dump truck as it was dumping. There was no reason for him to be there (other than being an untrained underage child laborer who decided not to be within line of sight of the truck driver).

The owner took over the business from his uncle 9 years earlier, despite having little experience in the field and no safety training. None of his employees received any safety training. He hired 14 and 15 year olds when it is illegal for anyone under 16 to work in construction (he claims he didn't know that, that the regulator "doesn't advertise it" and that he thought all he needed was the parents permission). He was eventually fined $33,000.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Is this why they're all gung ho about this safety 24/7 poo poo where I work

Like, you have to put on full PPE to hang out with cool jamaicans now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Skinny Bins posted:

Yes, Vancouver actually.

This was happening at the shop next door today:

I'm not sure how OSHA it is, but anytime i see someone get under a heavy object that is half-supported by a hydraulic hand jack, i get a little nervous.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Holy gently caress, do you work at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Well, he chocked off the jack's wheels.

Or one of them anyways.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There was a building at work with a few extra doors leading to (site, not public) streets that they didn't want to put a railing or bollard up for because there were other doors with railings or bollards 4 steps away. Instead of locking or otherwise disabling, at some point in history they were hooked up to alarms which were since disabled in favor of other alarm systems and probably because people forgot why they were turned into emergency only in the first place. This is where I get to admit I'm awful at safety because I abused the hell out of those doors to save 4 steps all the time.

Anyway its tough to tell from the one picture because that could be anything from Triangle Shirtwaist to a prank. Even without the lock its the worst emergency exit ever because there's a turn handle instead of a pushbar and the signage is a low visibility copy machine printout, though to be fair maybe there's a lighted sign out of frame?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

http://i.imgur.com/Lr3DsU6.webm

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

what

Shions of Qud

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Natural gas explosion.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

gently caress GIFS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWCQw8XX9bg

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Yeah, that's dumb as hell and makes me cringe. Buy some loving jack stands and use them.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

That's just the female forklifts' mating ritual signaling other forklifts that its ready.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Gorilla Salad posted:

Holy gently caress, do you work at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory?

Though it is ridiculous and irresponsible to do such a thing, even a child could shoulder-check that door open. That's just mild steel screwed into mild steel.

As an emergency exit the biggest problem is that it doesn't have a whammy bar on it. Emergency exits should never have handles. It looks like it's drilled for it and has the appropriate wards on the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The problem comes when that child has been inhaling smoke from burning who-knows-what and is barely able to see, let alone move.

No emergency exit should be locked, ever.

We had an issue in our Singapore division where every fire extinguisher had to be rehoused. In Australia, we had them on small hooks and "all" you needed to do was lift them by less than 1cm and you could free them for use. But the company found a large number of employees in Singapore* couldn't lift the extinguishers at all. If there had been a fire, it would have been really bad, to say the least.

Now, after a lot of fuss, all extinguishers no matter where they are, sit in little plastic stands on the floor and can be simply dragged along the ground.

What's easy for you or me isn't necessarily easy for everyone.

* And more than one person here confessed they had been worried about having to try and lift an extinguisher in case of a fire but was afraid to mention it.

EDIT: here we go, we moved from this:

To this:

It's now company policy in every country that fire extinguishers are to be foor mounted in such a way they to not need to be lifted at all to be used.

(good lord, I can't spell tonight)

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 25, 2015

• Locked thread