Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Got the Rhitahtyn sas Arvina card on my first Cape Westwind. A few people got angry at me. Is that supposed to be rare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Nothing like playing TT for an hour and a half and just three loving godbert's to show for it. The RNG should really prioritize cards you don't have until repeats happen.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

So what's the consensus best way to get MGP? I hope it's not something stupid like win-trading triple triad.

Grind the Bahamut card. :unsmigghh:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

Nothing like playing TT for an hour and a half and just three loving godbert's to show for it. The RNG should really prioritize cards you don't have until repeats happen.

too bad you can't trade cards. all i get are bahamuts!!

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

I'm going to go play Triple Triad now...

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

good

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Shaezerus posted:

thats a weird looking card.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

GulagDolls posted:

thats a weird looking card.

It's too rare for my deck. :saddowns:

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009

Shaezerus posted:

Oh hi, Zeta bro.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Going into the patch I was most excited for chocobo racing, but Triple Triad has seized me. I already have a heavy hatchling, send help before I grind the entire bunny outfit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did anyone else have trouble with not being able to retrieve your newly bred Chocobo at the appointed time? I assumed it meant Server Time, but nada.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Loving the update, but with so many good TT cards gated behind boss refights, I guess I need to focus on getting to 50 before I play more TT huh?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can I glamour my TT cards

by that i mean can i wear them as armor

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I have decided I would pay an embarrassing amount of money to change my running animation so the character pretends to be an airplane. They look so carefree when running through the forest. :3:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't doubt some people hate it but I think it's fantastic how square keep the low-level content relevant by making it part of high-level prestige stuff. Hope they keep it up in 3.X

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Pierson posted:

I don't doubt some people hate it but I think it's fantastic how square keep the low-level content relevant by making it part of high-level prestige stuff. Hope they keep it up in 3.X

I agree, however it creates the problem of people who have no regard for the actual low level people trying to do the content for experience skipping absolutely as much as possible. Try to find a duty finder DD or AV that doesn't have people insisting on just doing sac pulls and skipping everything else. Doing goon groups was the only way I was able to do either of those dungeons for xp with my second and third classes.

Soldiery/light/atma drops should be scaled to the percentage of the dungeon completed so the people actually trying to get xp don't get screwed :colbert:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
DD and AV are a crapshoot no matter what because at that point the healer and tank need to know what they're doing and they usually don't.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Pierson posted:

I really disagree. I get that new players have to get things done but I've been playing since launch. I have seen all these dungeons and trials in excess of 30-50 times each now. Thanks to the Nexus grind I've seen Garuda probably 300 times. I am so done with this content and I direly hope that outside of lldr this is the end of throwbacks to drag high levels into low end content for at least a couple patch cycles.

It won't be, but I can wish.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
At least it's not WoW where you're stuck with a few new dungeons and a raid or two and that's it for half a year. :shepface:

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Bards set the fashion standard in FFXIV.

Every other class are hobos in poo poo rags compared to them.

You can glamour yourself into a weird leather goth bard with the gear from WoD/latest dungeons

Goddamn I love bard!

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

DD and AV are a crapshoot no matter what because at that point the healer and tank need to know what they're doing and they usually don't.

Half the time, the level 50 nexus holders don't, remarkably.

People will game any system that is based on grinding. The RNG factor just makes things more frustrating.

LLDR is a much better model. People don't get as impatient when the reward is guaranteed. It also places people where needed, rather than giving every bit of old content equal weight.

Animus books for dps classes are a perfect example. Why throw a thousand dps into queues for Halatali and Haukke, further crowding out new players? If I queue up for a book, and it says my expected wait is over 30 minutes, what shortage am I alleviating?

That said, LLDR is not something I do anymore as a 50. There's little reason it should offer so little poetics compared to EXDR when there's zero good loot or new, fun mechanics to otherwise enter these instances.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 25, 2015

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Robo Reagan posted:

Can I glamour my TT cards

by that i mean can i wear them as armor

this better be one of the sets for the astrologist (sorry if I got the name wrong oops!)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly the real solution to queue woes is to have a setup that doesn't rely on a tank and healer because there's always a shortage of them compared to DPS.

But MMO trifecta etc it'll never happen in XIV so there's no point in worrying about it except maybe the NPC mercenaries or whatever they're called.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elentor posted:

Did anyone else have trouble with not being able to retrieve your newly bred Chocobo at the appointed time? I assumed it meant Server Time, but nada.

Ok, just found it out - The in-game item actually points out to your local time, not the server time.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I was going to go to bed at a sane time last night and instead of doing that I stayed up an additional 90 minutes and played triple triad.

I have plans to be productive and responsible today but instead of following through I'm pretty certain I'm just going to play triple triad. Oh look, the launcher is starting how did that happen. I think I logged off right in front of a card npc!

I am so totally hosed now that this is in the game. I am doomed.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Also Garuda story, DD, and AV are some of the hardest 4 man content in the game because it's strictly impossible to outlevel them.

Post Zodiac, it's really amusing how night and day AV is versus something like Copperbell HM, which has been trivialized into nothing. Personally, I'd much rather run AV once or twice with all it's frustrations than blowing through Copperbell a dozen times hoping for a drop.

Of course, Zodiac combines the worst of both with highly levelsynced content AND rare drops. Troll Yoshi strikes again. :v:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Story Garuda is either some kind of frantic fight for our lives or a complete disaster. I've never had a smooth run and it gives awful xp so usually I drop it and feel like an rear end afterwards.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Speaking of relics, I'm going to assume a Shiva EX i115 bow, even with skill speed, beats out a perfectly itemized i110 relic? Isn't there something about determination being better on relics?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Meiteron posted:

I was going to go to bed at a sane time last night and instead of doing that I stayed up an additional 90 minutes and played triple triad.

I have plans to be productive and responsible today but instead of following through I'm pretty certain I'm just going to play triple triad. Oh look, the launcher is starting how did that happen. I think I logged off right in front of a card npc!

I am so totally hosed now that this is in the game. I am doomed.

lol same

i didn't even give a poo poo about it leading up to the patch because I never got into it in ff8, but now I see that that was a mistake, and triple triad actually owns a lot. gonna be reading up on it today between work projects so i can callously demolish some npcs tonight

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

PhilippAchtel posted:

Speaking of relics, I'm going to assume a Shiva EX i115 bow, even with skill speed, beats out a perfectly itemized i110 relic? Isn't there something about determination being better on relics?

Crit/Det novus is 500 weighted dex, Diamond Bow is 502 weighted dex (not taking into account the extra acc).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Robo Reagan posted:

Honestly the real solution to queue woes is to have a setup that doesn't rely on a tank and healer because there's always a shortage of them compared to DPS.

But MMO trifecta etc it'll never happen in XIV so there's no point in worrying about it except maybe the NPC mercenaries or whatever they're called.

I must be the only person not looking forward to these mercenaries people keep mentioning. Either they don't work as well as a group and they're useless for anything beyond Brayflox or they're too good and the Duty Finder dies.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

bonewitch posted:

Crit/Det novus is 500 weighted dex, Diamond Bow is 502 weighted dex (not taking into account the extra acc).

Oh boy, it really is a vanity project at this point, then. I'm at 34 of 75 alexandrite, so that shouldn't take too much longer, but then there's 2000 light as well, and by then there will probably be encrypted tomestones in CT3 or we'll be clearing final coil enough to get them.

:shrug:

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Verranicus posted:

I must be the only person not looking forward to these mercenaries people keep mentioning. Either they don't work as well as a group and they're useless for anything beyond Brayflox or they're too good and the Duty Finder dies.

I think that the intended purpose has something to do with going back to do old raids and doing watered down story versions of things like T13 which contain major story stuff but aren't seen by most of the players in game.

I doubt they'll actually replace people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Robo Reagan posted:

Story Garuda is either some kind of frantic fight for our lives or a complete disaster. I've never had a smooth run and it gives awful xp so usually I drop it and feel like an rear end afterwards.

So I'm leveling my first character as a dps and of course my plot is stuck at Garuda. After 30 minutes or so of queue I get a group.
me: Hi guys! First time here, what do I need to know?
dps2: Me too!
*tank aggros*
me: ???
*stick like to glue to healer since i'm rdps*
*wipe on final phase*
*tank and healer drop group*
me: uh, what do we do now?
dps2: cry?

A million thanks to the guys in PBC that tank/healed that for us after that. :D

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

PhilippAchtel posted:

Oh boy, it really is a vanity project at this point, then. I'm at 34 of 75 alexandrite, so that shouldn't take too much longer, but then there's 2000 light as well, and by then there will probably be encrypted tomestones in CT3 or we'll be clearing final coil enough to get them.

:shrug:

Well, a perfectly optimized relic will be better than any other weapon at it's ilevel, but substats are really kinda meaningless compared to mainstats and WD if you're not super into minmaxing. At this point, a perfectly optimized i135 relic is about 4 dex better than a Dreadwyrm bown

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Is it possible to enter the Gold Saucer without being a godly manly man/woman such as you fine goons?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Diabetic posted:

Is it possible to enter the Gold Saucer without being a godly manly man/woman such as you fine goons?

You only have to be level 15 to get there, if that's what you mean.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

So I'm leveling my first character as a dps and of course my plot is stuck at Garuda. After 30 minutes or so of queue I get a group.
me: Hi guys! First time here, what do I need to know?
dps2: Me too!
*tank aggros*
me: ???
*stick like to glue to healer since i'm rdps*
*wipe on final phase*
*tank and healer drop group*
me: uh, what do we do now?
dps2: cry?

A million thanks to the guys in PBC that tank/healed that for us after that. :D

Funnily enough, story Garuda is way harder than Hard Mode Garuda just because you can't brute force the mechanics. Everyone's gotta be on the ball and know how the fight works for story.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

level 15 i think it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Robo Reagan posted:

Funnily enough, story Garuda is way harder than Hard Mode Garuda just because you can't brute force the mechanics. Everyone's gotta be on the ball and know how the fight works for story.

The thing that took me entirely too long to get was how to survive the Mistral Shriek when she appears on the far end of the arena. :saddowns:

• Locked thread