Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Hi I don't want to put in the effort to build any actual levels and Minecraft is just making so much money that I want so I made a random level generator.

Now give me your money, plebes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ekster posted:

"cinematic experience" is probably my most hated description of a game, it reeks of failed movie director inserting his garbage story in a videogame at the expense of everything else

actually that also owns

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oh man CoD is making so much money, i better make fixed and designed levels instead of randomly generated!!

now give me your money plebs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stux how much do you like Dear Esther.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Stux how much do you like Dear Esther.

i havnt played it, i like gone home and proteus though if that helps u out

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

U should play it imo but dont read up on it first just go in blind. This is a sincere recommendation not a prank or troll.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Dear Ester but I thought it smelled like fake banana.

That's right you can call me the lead singer from the Offspring because that's a goddamn chemistry joke.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Dear Easter but I couldn't find all the hidden secrets.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I liked Dear Hastur. I liked Dear Hastur. I liked Dear Hastur.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

U should play it imo but dont read up on it first just go in blind. This is a sincere recommendation not a prank or troll.

many thanlk

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Stux stux Bo bux

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
"retro" is the worst description because most old games are garbage by today's standards and it's used almost exclusively by washed-up developers trying to cash in on that one hit they had 20 years ago or kids who think that they can hide their inability to make graphics or music behind lovely pixels and chiptunes.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Any game made before 2008 isn't worth playing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

You're not a true 90s kid if you don't buy lovely, pixelated platformers at outrageous prices for nostalgia while chomping on expired Dunkaroos snacks, sipping Squeeze-its and using a Care Bear to mop up your tears.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Me, drinking OK Cola: OK.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I use an NES controller to play all my Wii U games. It doesn't have enough buttons or motions controls, so I had to create a device to filter the input through my piece of the Aggro-Crag. Unfortunately, the power from this arcane crystal is beginning to seep into my brain, and I am growing Donkey Kong hair and involuntarily yelling out Link's grunt noises. Gak is pouring from my ceiling and my Ninja Turtles figures have mutated into actual Ninja Turtles. Please send help.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

90s Kid: This is what you get when you mess with us.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Bicyclops posted:

I use an NES controller to play all my Wii U games. It doesn't have enough buttons or motions controls, so I had to create a device to filter the input through my piece of the Aggro-Crag. Unfortunately, the power from this arcane crystal is beginning to seep into my brain, and I am growing Donkey Kong hair and involuntarily yelling out Link's grunt noises. Gak is pouring from my ceiling and my Ninja Turtles figures have mutated into actual Ninja Turtles. Please send help.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

You're not a true 90s kid if you don't buy lovely, pixelated platformers at outrageous prices for nostalgia while chomping on expired Dunkaroos snacks, sipping Squeeze-its and using a Care Bear to mop up your tears.

I unironically love pixel art as a medium so I get really mad at hideous blocky poo poo with no basic color theory trying to skate on retro nostalgia like this and this and this and even this. Wow, you made your particle effects cubes, you're just like the guys who made Mega Man 2!

Real pixel art back in the day tried really hard to push the envelope of the systems they were on, and had genuinely talented artists trying to make the most out of a super limited medium, and it resulted in some pretty darn enduring imagery.

Even the low budget, IP tie-in and shovelware games, excluding really lovely early PC games, usually had more effort and craft put into their art than the poo poo that some "retro" games try to get away with. It really burns me up because that crap gives the medium a bad name, and while modern 2D game art has come a long way, it's still totally valid to use pixel art to do something with a classic aesthetic or save money for smaller studios. You just need to do it right.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Pixels are dead, PS1 polygon poo poo is the hot new thing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Within five years every indie bundle will be nothing but Crash Bandicoot ripoffs with puzzle elements.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Braid the Kakapo in: Time Twist Terror!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tim Schaefer: "For our next game, we looked to Bubsy 3-D, because that's the only platformer with worse controls than Psychonauts."

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

i'm beginning to think tim schafer just made a couple fluke good games during some enlightened state of mind, and then he sorta fell into a rut after Grim Fandango and Psychonauts and never quite found his footing again

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

i'm beginning to think tim schafer just made a couple fluke good games during some enlightened state of mind, and then he sorta fell into a rut after Grim Fandango and Psychonauts and never quite found his footing again
Tim Schaefer used to be the only guy doing what he was doing, albeit with mixed execution. Now tons of people are playing with unusual visuals, quirky characters, self-aware plots, pop culture references, etc.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

if i won the lottery i would probably spend about half my winnings pouring funding into game sequels, like Psychonauts 2.

i want more moments in games like the nightmare in Sasha's happy disco party mind world. things that make your brain hungry for more information about what the gently caress is going on

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Broken Age is actually real good though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

I heard it doesn't work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Accordion Man posted:

It stinks.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
They call it Broken Age because it's Broken and we'll have Aged a lot by the time it comes out

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

I heard it doesn't work.
It does, it's just missing the last half. What's there is real good though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The reason adventure games died out is because everyone realized that they were dogshit.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Tim Schaefer used to be the only guy doing what he was doing, albeit with mixed execution. Now tons of people are playing with unusual visuals, quirky characters, self-aware plots, pop culture references, etc.

i'm trying to remember if psychonauts had a single actual meme or pop culture reference in it, i can't really think of any

which is hard to imagine compared to modern games where a girl can walk up to a TV and watch Spirits Within and talk about it being the CGI masterpiece of the 21st century

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This pixel art RPG has all of its dungeons and monsters procedurally generated!! The pixels assemble into a random blob and are assigned random stat blocks, and the terrain is assembled randomly. Maybe this dungeon has a tree in it, or a treasure chest next to a lake, it's a new experience every time. Sometimes it may just have doors that open to brick walls, but that's part of the fun, haha. One of the random NPCs won't attack you... because he took an arrow in the knee! That one was Tim's idea.

So far you can't level up or purchase any equipment or gain achievements, but we are confident that will be our next phase of development. Please visit Kickstarter for more info.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

the word masterpiece is tossed around far too often these days imo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

i'm trying to remember if psychonauts had a single actual meme or pop culture reference in it, i can't really think of any

which is hard to imagine compared to modern games where a girl can walk up to a TV and watch Spirits Within and talk about it being the CGI masterpiece of the 21st century
The Godzilla level, some popular tropes like Napoleon imitators in the insane asylum, all the red scare stuff. Just the Saturday morning cartoon feel and all the summer camp stuff. Not like super-specific references like you'd get in Shrek or w/e.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Excels posted:

the word masterpiece is tossed around far too often these days imo.

The word disasterpiece isn't used enough.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Our team consists of me, Tim, and Sherry, who drew the art for the opening. We are inspired by the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy series, Earthbound, and films based on Bret Easton Ellis novels. I'm putting my English degree to good use by creating the game experience, Tim is our computer guy. You can read Sherry's blog about fashion in Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes at the link under her name, once our page is done being under construction.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You folks remember Chrono Trigger? This is like the bonus content on Chrono Trigger DS, you're gonna love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alain Post posted:

The reason adventure games died out is because everyone realized that they were dogshit.
This isn't wrong, the puzzles got so lovely in the 90's adventure games that the genre pretty much committed suicide. The new school of adventure games have been learning from the old school's mistakes though.

• Locked thread