Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Nerokerubina posted:

this thread could definitely thrive in PSP because there is nothing wrestling fans love more than stories about how crooked the business is behind the scenes

Is organized crime involved? Because that'll get the kickboxing fans, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Anime Reference posted:

Is organized crime involved? Because that'll get the kickboxing fans, too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Don't forget to submit your banzuke entry form for Guess the Banzuke!

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/gtb/GTBEntry.aspx

A Canadian, Brody Henderson, has joined Nishikido Beya. I don't know if he'll be in MaeZumo for March Tournament but its probably likely.

He's 20, 150 kilo (325 lbs) 201 cm (6'7").

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

He won the most recent US Sumo Open. I was hoping he would go to Japan.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Uncle Jam posted:

So two bits of news:

1. Apparently people were heckling Osunaarashi at the final day, calling him 'Islamic State'

2. This Sunday is the Fuji TV Sumo knockout tournament. I don't know if this will get uploaded to youtube at anytime but here are the initial draws:

Hakuho vs Jokoryu
Tosayutaka / Sadanofuji vs Endo
Aminishiki vs Sadanoumi / Tokushoryu
Chiyootori vs Ichinojo

Goeido vs Tokitenku / Kagamio
Toyohibiki vs Kaisei
Takayasu vs Arawashi / Sokokurai
Kyokutenho vs Kisenosato

Harumafuji vs Okinoumi
Kotoyuki / Chiyomaru vs Terunofuji
Homarefuji / Kyokushuho vs Ikioi
Yoshikaze / Myogiryu vs Kotoshogiku

Aoiyama vs Toyonoshima
Takekaze / Shohozan vs Tochiozan
Takarafuji vs Tamawashi / Osunaarashi
Tochinoshin vs Kakuryu

If I remember correctly, Aoiyama won last year.

I stumbled across a link to the finals match for those interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJFjEkW7DA

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I stumbled across a link to the finals match for those interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOJFjEkW7DA
Ha, that victory pose. Good win, shame we couldn't see the whole thing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I wish I could see all the strutting and salt throwing for the matches on Kintamayama's channel, even though I'm sure I'd get tired of them eventually. It's part of the pageantry of the thing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I wish I could see all the strutting and salt throwing for the matches on Kintamayama's channel, even though I'm sure I'd get tired of them eventually. It's part of the pageantry of the thing.

The problem is that it takes over 2 hours to go through all that, and that's just for makuuchi. I was raised on baseball and I can't even watch 2 straight weeks of baseball games like that. That said, Jason's All Sumo Channel usually covers the last half-dozen or so matches, and in their entirety. The new Sumo app seems to cover matches starting with the last sip of water and salt throw, so you do get some drama.

You could figure out which match Jason covers first, then watch Kintamayama's summary (or individually with the sumo app, although currently you'll have the results spoiled) up until that match, then switch over and watch the big matches in their entirety.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fryhtaning posted:

The problem is that it takes over 2 hours to go through all that, and that's just for makuuchi. I was raised on baseball and I can't even watch 2 straight weeks of baseball games like that. That said, Jason's All Sumo Channel usually covers the last half-dozen or so matches, and in their entirety. The new Sumo app seems to cover matches starting with the last sip of water and salt throw, so you do get some drama.

You could figure out which match Jason covers first, then watch Kintamayama's summary (or individually with the sumo app, although currently you'll have the results spoiled) up until that match, then switch over and watch the big matches in their entirety.

Yeah, I know. A huge part of the appeal of watching this sport is that it's 15 minutes a day every couple of months, it's not some all-consuming thing I have to block out time for. I may or may not go through the trouble, but heck, it's a new YouTube channel to add to the bunch. Thanks for the suggestion.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Uncle Jam posted:

Don't forget to submit your banzuke entry form for Guess the Banzuke!

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/gtb/GTBEntry.aspx

A Canadian, Brody Henderson, has joined Nishikido Beya. I don't know if he'll be in MaeZumo for March Tournament but its probably likely.

Jesus christ. This guy looks exactly like me, except huge. My girlfriend actually asked why I had photoshopped my face onto a sumo body. Hope he does well so I can watch myself wreck poo poo.

At that height I'm hoping he becomes the new Human Crane.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Gibbo posted:

Jesus christ. This guy looks exactly like me, except huge. My girlfriend actually asked why I had photoshopped my face onto a sumo body. Hope he does well so I can watch myself wreck poo poo.

Gonna need a pic of your face on his body now for science

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Human Crane? All I'm coming up with in a search is Myobundani from the 60s, and he was 6'2 and 250, reportedly. This guy looks more like a Baruto, who I would definitely agree was a human crane, even if not Human Crane himself.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Fryhtaning posted:

Human Crane? All I'm coming up with in a search is Myobundani from the 60s, and he was 6'2 and 250, reportedly. This guy looks more like a Baruto, who I would definitely agree was a human crane, even if not Human Crane himself.

I was indeed talking about Baruto.

I could have sworn I had seen that name in a wiki or something somewhere. "Human Crane Baruto" is bringing up nothing but Naruto references on google now. Weird.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 9, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Was having trouble finding info on him, then figured out it's actually Brodi, not Brody.

Highlight video from him winning the 2014 tourney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vh1UNzKuug

Dude beat Byamba :stare:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Knew he looked familiar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW7n2UP60bk

Skip to 6:06.

After watching this video, it's normal to be apprehensive about other videos for a while, as though expecting Byamba to burst through one of the walls a la Kool-Aid man, demanding that the subject consume a steaming, sloshing bowl of chankonabe.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 9, 2015

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

Was having trouble finding info on him, then figured out it's actually Brodi, not Brody.

Highlight video from him winning the 2014 tourney - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vh1UNzKuug

Ah, my bad, I was reading from the katakana so I just took a guess.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

After watching this video, it's normal to be apprehensive about other videos for a while, as though expecting Byamba to burst through one of the walls a la Kool-Aid man, demanding that the subject consume a steaming, sloshing bowl of chankonabe.

It's also normal to be apprehensive of the human race, after reading through some of those comments :yikes:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Fryhtaning posted:

What the actual gently caress, he's only 20?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
How good is/was Byamba?

e: It looks like he reached Makushita and then retired due to injury. Was he projected to continue to improve?

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Kibner posted:

How good is/was Byamba?

e: It looks like he reached Makushita and then retired due to injury. Was he projected to continue to improve?

it's hard to tell at that level. plenty of very good rikishi toiled in makushita for a good while before finally coming into their own. hakuho wasn't there for that long but if you look at his record he got some very favorable promotions while he was there.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Next round of Chiyonofuji's streak is up on the sumo app.

I can't determine if film from that era just ran faster, or if sumo was just that much more explosive back then. Wrestling Chiyonofuji looks like wrestling an angry crocodile in most of those videos.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Third round up on the app now. You can see the nerves starting at the very first one, against garage rikishi - it's amazing he won another 20 after that. Pure beast.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Banzuke for Haru basho

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

hey, another russian. i wonder if this one also henkas every bout

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Huh, Gagamaru's back in makuuchi. Wasn't expecting that.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
From reading Amuuru's wikipedia page, I wouldn't expect too much from him. He's lighter than Harumafuji and has had two serious right knee surgeries in the last five years. I'll be surprised if he makes it to 8 wins.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kikkoman posted:

From reading Amuuru's wikipedia page, I wouldn't expect too much from him. He's lighter than Harumafuji and has had two serious right knee surgeries in the last five years. I'll be surprised if he makes it to 8 wins.

He only got 5 the last (and only) time he was up. He seems to be even more Greco-Roman style than Aran and overall just wasn't very impressive from what I remember.

Geez, they were brutal to sanyaku. I never would have expected 10-5, from M9 (Tamawashi), against ZERO sanyaku or yokozunae, would be enough to push a 7-8 komusubi (Tochiozan) down to maegashira. Tochiozan beat a yokozuna, an ozeki, and the other komusubi ffs. Tamawashi might go 0-15.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
7-8 means you have to be demoted at least one rank if you're not an Ozeki or Yokozuna, but I agree that Ichinojo is more deserving of the slot. Biggest surprise for me is Chiyotairyu going all the way from M5 to Juryo.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Recently they've been very unkind to people who pull out due to injury, which makes the problem even worse. That's why Jokoryu was up there crippled basically.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Konstantin posted:

7-8 means you have to be demoted at least one rank if you're not an Ozeki or Yokozuna, but I agree that Ichinojo is more deserving of the slot. Biggest surprise for me is Chiyotairyu going all the way from M5 to Juryo.

I don't buy it. What if you go 8-7 as M1 and everyone above you is also kachikoshi? You aren't guaranteed a promo just for kachikoshi. It makes no logical sense for 10-5 against trash from 20 spots down to result in a higher spot than a 7-8 performance against all sanyaku and M1-3. I know sekiwake and komusubi are known as the meat grinder, but ffs. And it's Tochiozan, pretty much the only rikishi who has had a chance at ozeki in the last two years other than Goeido, so he has earned his place in sanyaku.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
A K1w has never stayed there after a 7-8. http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=K1w&form1_wins=7&form1_losses=8
Yeah sometimes stuff gets jammed up and winners can't move up, but there has always been an element of luck with getting into Sanyaku.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Are there any decent write-ups online for the lower divisions?

I'm curious about who is considered up-and-coming and was watching previous year's matches for Ishiura (who has just come up to Juryo) and Shodai (who will probably bump up after this basho).

I couldn't find anything (in English) about expectations for these guys.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Last round of Chiyonofuji's streak is online, including the match that ended it. Unless it's a typo, you only have 3 days to watch these (through 2/28), so get to it - you don't want to miss three tsuridashi, one of them possibly the most impressive one I've ever seen.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The March basho is here!

Day 1: http://youtu.be/Vqbk7Mj0s6c

Today was not a good day for people in the first couple of rows.

If you bowl over a gyoji seated ringside while crowdsurfing, what is that called?

Ouch, Kakuryu out for the whole basho

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 8, 2015

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
What happened on the Hakuho bout there? it looked like both wrestlers lost their balance at the same time for like 1 second or so. Funny stuff.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIkwrMd-FGE

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Okinoumi was a decent match, and the finish in the Hakuhou match was pretty great, but what a boring day of sumo.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0nPqOSWdZs

Aminishiki-Tochinoshin was pretty fun.

:laffo: Ichinojo with the John Cena shoulderblock to win his bout.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 10, 2015

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgq7QhEy8Dc

Well there goes my 0-15 prediction for Tamawashi, thanks to Okinoumi being kyujo. :argh:

Finally some spirited bouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Fantastic style by Harumafuji. Nobody else could win like that with such speed.