Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's 2 pretty good deals right now.

1080p touch Haswell i5 Flex 2 for $400, or for $660 a 1080p 540p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Hadlock posted:

Those of you looking at Lenovos in the $500 range and aren't buying a T450 make sure you check out the outlet store, they probably have the laptop you want with the upgrades you can't afford for less money than you see on the site.

For those of you buying a new T450 make sure you look at the :siren:B&N gold link in the OP, it takes some effort to get logged in the first time, but effectively gives you enterprise volume pricing for individual laptops, between 5 and 20% off the main store website.

B&B gold thingy is only for the US right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chu020 posted:

Seconding the lenovo outlet. I got a t440s back in August for the wife with great specs (i5, 1080p non-touch screen, 8gb ram, 180gb SSD) for $850 shipped. Just picked up a X1 carbon (2nd gen) with slightly better specs (i7, touch screen, 256gb ssd) for $933 shipped. It can be crazy through if you really want a good configuration, as they tend to go very fast.

My ex-roommate got a Thinkpad Yoga i7 with 16gb ram, stock 1080p touchscreen and the upgraded SSD for $650 of the Outlet store after trolling it for three weeks :psypop: poo poo's crazy. He's happily enjoying it on the beach in Colombia as I type this.

Faldoncow posted:

B&B gold thingy is only for the US right?

Yes I think so. For that price though, you could have an american friend ship it to you and pick up your local language keyboard for another $70 if you're willing to jump through that many hoops to save $300 over your local price.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
There's a Canadian equivalent, or at least there was 18 months ago when I purchased from lenovo. I can't recall how to access it but it was pretty easily accessible with a google search if I remember correctly.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Hadlock posted:

For those of you buying a new T450 make sure you look at the :siren:B&N gold link in the OP, it takes some effort to get logged in the first time, but effectively gives you enterprise volume pricing for individual laptops, between 5 and 20% off the main store website.

It doesn't appear to offer any money off for the T450. The prices are the same as on the normal Lenovo site.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I think Microsoft's missed a beat by not making a thicker (admittedly clumsier) power cover that somehow locks in a traditional hinge for those who don't mind the Laptop configuration being heavier but more solid and lasting forever.
I think the reason this didn't happen is because their OEMs might murder them if they did so. :v:

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

From the tablet thread:

Q: What’s my best choice for taking notes or drawing?
A: Microsoft Surface Pro 3 or Toshiba Encore 2 Write. Nothing else comes close to those two.

I'd prefer a 2in1 laptop, it doesn't have to be the best of the best as far as stylus usage goes, tbough, I'm not an artist or anything.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The XPS 13 is borderline magic, you guys.

It's my first laptop in 4 years, it runs all my art and video programs stupidly fast, has no trouble with indie games or any AAA title pre-2010, boots in 4 seconds. And the battery life is as ridiculously good as the reviews say. I used it on a 11 hour flight, marathoning TV shows and playing Steam games.

It's like... they nailed every category of what a laptop should be. It's nirvana.

I am stoked to have this little piece of tech along on my travels.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

It doesn't appear to offer any money off for the T450. The prices are the same as on the normal Lenovo site.

I am seeing a 20 percent discount on the W441 and W550.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 25, 2015

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

DNK posted:

Basically, don't spend 1400AUD (~$1100USD) on that crap. Are you sure you can't find anything from Lenovo outlet / Newegg / Amazon that ships to Aus? The 850m, in particular, is annoying because the 860m is considerably more powerful and very minorly more expensive.

A huge HDD / optical drive in a laptop is a red flag for me because it just makes the entire thing thicker and heavier with more moving parts to break. Stick with externals (that are really cheap! Like $20 for external optical and $100 for external TB+ HDDs).

~$1100USD can get you a lot of laptop, and I wouldn't settle for that.

Unfortunately, Lenovo's offerings cost more for around the same spec in Australia both on Newegg and Amazon.

MikeJF posted:

I have a laptop with an AC 7260 and it's been the most unreliable piece of poo poo I've ever used, and googling around, I'm not the only one. Fix your drat drivers, intel.

Is it only the AC Bluetooth version that's bad cause everyone seems to praise the desktop version of it in the Hardware thread? Am I to assume the Killer NIC is not horseshit in notebooks?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Thinkpad T540p for $535. Should I pull the trigger on this?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ZergFluid posted:

Interesting flaw with the new Dell XPS 13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEVUPvmfXF4

Still, I ordered one. Looks like I'll get it in three weeks.

Very much reported on already, the camera position. Do people honestly use webcams very often? It's only an issue if you want to type at the same time. Fine for the odd video chat once you angle it right and sit back, it seems.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
No. Don't buy 1366x768 on any panel larger than 12 inches. EVER.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

For that type of money you'll have to make a serious compromise somewhere. The previous one you had with the slow drive is probably a better bet. You can always upgrade the drive later really easily. As seamonster said that resolution is crap. Drop in to a best buy or something and browse a few websites. Its crazy how little real estate you have.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

bpower posted:

For that type of money you'll have to make a serious compromise somewhere. The previous one you had with the slow drive is probably a better bet. You can always upgrade the drive later really easily. As seamonster said that resolution is crap. Drop in to a best buy or something and browse a few websites. Its crazy how little real estate you have.
Good call, thanks.

In general, how are people finding the refurbished units from the Lenovo Outlet? Are they generally reliable, or is it too much of a case-by-case thing to really make generalizations?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

HalloKitty posted:

Very much reported on already, the camera position. Do people honestly use webcams very often? It's only an issue if you want to type at the same time. Fine for the odd video chat once you angle it right and sit back, it seems.

I dated a girl off and on who was going to vet school on a remote Caribbean island. She also had a twin sister who lived in Hawaii; I sort of hated Skype but she carried her drat iPad everywhere she went and had skype running so she had a constant video link with her sister halfway around the globe to talk about their cats. They would even bring it in the bathroom when showering and just point the camera at the ceiling so they could talk in there too. It seemed bonkers then and it still seems insane now but apparently there's a huge class of users who are absolutely addicted to Skype and webcamming. Webcams are a big deal for some people.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I dated a girl off and on who was going to vet school on a remote Caribbean island. She also had a twin sister who lived in Hawaii; I sort of hated Skype but she carried her drat iPad everywhere she went and had skype running so she had a constant video link with her sister halfway around the globe to talk about their cats. They would even bring it in the bathroom when showering and just point the camera at the ceiling so they could talk in there too. It seemed bonkers then and it still seems insane now but apparently there's a huge class of users who are absolutely addicted to Skype and webcamming. Webcams are a big deal for some people.

That sounds fairly reasonable, twin sisters half way round world. If they dont use the poo poo out of Skype then noone does.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's a ridiculous design decision. Yes, the bezel on top would've been a bit bigger, but the sides could still be super thin.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

MikeJF posted:

I have a laptop with an AC 7260 and it's been the most unreliable piece of poo poo I've ever used, and googling around, I'm not the only one. Fix your drat drivers, intel.

Are you using the newest drivers directly from Intel's website? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24656&lang=eng&ProdId=3714

A lot of the issues with the 7260 where due to power management problems which where causing disconnects and BSODs occasionally. The last few releases have fixed these.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

stevewm posted:

Are you using the newest drivers directly from Intel's website? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24656&lang=eng&ProdId=3714

A lot of the issues with the 7260 where due to power management problems which where causing disconnects and BSODs occasionally. The last few releases have fixed these.

I am. No luck fixing the issues I've been having, but maybe I'm just a special case.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

The Ferret King posted:

For a laptop that won't get moved much, I'm starting to think a lower build quality model would be a perfect fit for my wife, since the savings are significant.

Lenovo tech support is bad, IBM support is good

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Chas McGill posted:

It's a ridiculous design decision. Yes, the bezel on top would've been a bit bigger, but the sides could still be super thin.

My guess is it was an afterthought, and they didn't want to gently caress up the nice thin bezels as they stood. There will no doubt be a newer version in time that fixes that issue. In the meantime, there are a lot of people who don't care about webcams, for them it isn't even a negative point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

If you can do $660 you can get a 540p with 1080p and an SSD.

If you want to keep it under $600 firm, there's still plenty of 1080p options on the outlet site.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

MikeJF posted:

I am. No luck fixing the issues I've been having, but maybe I'm just a special case.
I've had the worst experience with the AC 7260 and they pretty much all went away when I bought a new router. Everything was 100% pointing towards the AC 7260 or the driver being at fault since no other device had any problems with the router. My dad went through exactly the same thing when my mom bought her laptop with that chip.

The thing is good now it works, but goddamn can it be picky about what it will reliably connect to.

With the new router everything is going swimmingly and I can see where the people are coming from recommending it.

Maleficent
May 26, 2014
What are everyone's thoughts on the HP Stream line? For $230 I can't really argue. Just looking for a solid WIndows 8 laptop to do some light programming, gaming and possibly recording music.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've had the worst experience with the AC 7260 and they pretty much all went away when I bought a new router. Everything was 100% pointing towards the AC 7260 or the driver being at fault since no other device had any problems with the router. My dad went through exactly the same thing when my mom bought her laptop with that chip.

The thing is good now it works, but goddamn can it be picky about what it will reliably connect to.

With the new router everything is going swimmingly and I can see where the people are coming from recommending it.

Out of curiosity, what router did you start with and then switch to? I'm having similar issues with a T440s on my network, and nothing else is having trouble connecting, so I thought it was the card too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Chu020 posted:

Out of curiosity, what router did you start with and then switch to? I'm having similar issues with a T440s on my network, and nothing else is having trouble connecting, so I thought it was the card too.
I went from an aging D-Link DSL-2460B to an also already outdated Cisco Linksys X2000 I got for free from someone. These are adsl modem/router combos. My dad went from a D-Link DIR-615 to some Motorola thing.

So that's not really helpful. Maybe since the AC 7260 is the recommended card here, someone in the home networking thread can recommend you something more up to date (with 5GHz and ac) that they know for a fact to be working together with it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

system protocol posted:

I am seeing a 20 percent discount on the W441 and W550.

That W550 does look like a lot more bang for the buck. Still the same solid construction as the T series?

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

That W550 does look like a lot more bang for the buck. Still the same solid construction as the T series?

Yes. You could kill a burglar with it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Iron Rose posted:

There's a Canadian equivalent, or at least there was 18 months ago when I purchased from lenovo. I can't recall how to access it but it was pretty easily accessible with a google search if I remember correctly.

I think it's this? http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/landingpage/portals/students/

You have to swear you're a student at one of their affiliate schools (like how you swear you're a Barnes and Noble Gold club member or whatever). Also, all of the deals I've seen seem to be available as coupon codes with a little Googling.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Maleficent posted:

What are everyone's thoughts on the HP Stream line? For $230 I can't really argue. Just looking for a solid WIndows 8 laptop to do some light programming, gaming and possibly recording music.

They're good for web surfing, office, etc. I'm basically looking at it as a more useful Chrombook. Gaming, programming or music recording would not be ideal use cases.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

The Ferret King posted:

The W441 is a quad core i7, with a better Quadra gpu. The W550 is dual core. But either way they are both good deals. Same quality as the T series of course.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
2 quick questions about doing a reformat/reinstall on a Samsung laptop:

1. Can I just re-install windows using the license key on sticker attached to the bottom of the computer, or has that already been "used" by the OEM and won't work?

2. If I use the current HDD to create a windows install USB stick, but swap the HDD to an SDD before installing is windows going to think I'm installing on a different computer and throw a hissy fit?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

1 The key doesn't get used up, you can use it over and over on the same computer.
2 Swapping a drive doesn't make it a different computer as far as Microsoft is concerned.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Is it worthwhile getting the basic options on a Thinkpad T450S and then immediately upgrading? They want $170 for a 4GB SODIMM, and $130 for a 128GB SSD, and I'm pretty sure I can get those on NCIX for a lot less.

Is there any point in getting the 16GB "micro hard drive"?

Is there any point to getting the extended warranty?

Extended warranty: if it includes accidental damage protection, in case someone drops it and then steps on it :v:

$170 RAM: the magic is in selling it to companies who can't be bothered to pay IT staff to crack open 5000 laptops and install more RAM. The bonus magic comes from the Lenovo market research idiots who think "consumers order 4gb RAM laptops" actually means "consumers only want 4gb RAM laptops" instead of "consumers realise that screw drivers and amazon exist".

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SouthLAnd posted:

FullHD Toshiba Chromebook 2 would be my recommendation. I have the first generation model and its been great. I think the 13.3 inch screen size is about perfect.
Thanks for this suggestion, looks ideal.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
Anyone have a suggestion for a laptop for someone who thinks the best laptop ever made was the T43 or maybe T60? I need a VERY rugged but not toughbook style laptop with a current gen i5 or i7, 16gb ram and a 1080p or 1440p display that can fit an evo 840 SSD into it since I have a spare one kicking around.

I looked at the Dell M3800 but I read some very soso reviews. I think that a 4k display is probably a bad idea but they also have a 1080p.

It is very important that it has a 4 year no fault accidental damage warranty because I have a really bad history with laptops. Some companies don't offer free shipping to the repair depot and that would be a dealbreaker also. I need to have the laptop expense be a one time outlay for 4 years.

I bought my daughter an X-1 Carbon and I really hate it and I am pretty sure I do not like any Lenovos currently because the keyboards and the mousepads suck suck suck. I could be totally missing something and there might still be a good machine from their business line.

Top budget would be 2k with warranty. Would love to spend much less.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 26, 2015

Maleficent
May 26, 2014

Maneki Neko posted:

They're good for web surfing, office, etc. I'm basically looking at it as a more useful Chrombook. Gaming, programming or music recording would not be ideal use cases.

Hm, yeah that's probably right. My budget is around $400 ideally. The only thing I'd use it for is League of Legends and maybe recording my guitar sometime, so I don't need or want anything too fancy.

Lafarg
Jul 23, 2012

Demonachizer posted:

Anyone have a suggestion for a laptop for someone who thinks the best laptop ever made was the T43 or maybe T60? I need a VERY rugged but not toughbook style laptop with a current gen i5 or i7, 16gb ram and a 1080p or 1440p display that can fit an evo 840 SSD into it since I have a spare one kicking around.

I looked at the Dell M3800 but I read some very soso reviews. I think that a 4k display is probably a bad idea but they also have a 1080p.

It is very important that it has a 4 year no fault accidental damage warranty because I have a really bad history with laptops. Some companies don't offer free shipping to the repair depot and that would be a dealbreaker also. I need to have the laptop expense be a one time outlay for 4 years.

I bought my daughter an X-1 Carbon and I really hate it and I am pretty sure I do not like any Lenovos currently because the keyboards and the mousepads suck suck suck. I could be totally missing something and there might still be a good machine from their business line.

Top budget would be 2k with warranty. Would love to spend much less.

Dell Latitude E6430 ATG and/or Latitude 14 Rugged Notebook for something bulletproof. The only thing is they don't offer HD displays. HP still makes their Elitebooks out of metal, probably check those out.

Lafarg fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

system protocol posted:

Dell Latitude E6430 ATG and/or Latitude 14 Rugged Notebook for something bulletproof. Otherwise HP still makes their Elitebooks out of metal. The Dell ATG however is a personal favorite of mine.

I was looking at the Elitebooks. I will try to find somewhere that I can screw around with one. The Dells seem very toughbookesque. I liked the T43/T60 because they are rugged as hell but don't look like a suitcase. I have two convertible tablets (x201t and x230t) that have had to go in for repairs 5 times between them and never had to get a T43 or T60 sent in for anything (not counting hard drive replacements for either set).

EDIT: http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/MiddleFrame.asp?page=config&ProductLineId=435&FamilyId=3199&BaseId=46401

This ends up being 1400 with 16gb ram and the 4 year no fault warranty. Drawbacks are the wireless card and last gen processor. Resolution is close to what I want. My previous laptop is a 12.5 inch 1366x768.

Demonachizer fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 26, 2015