Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I never got the chance to play around with an M8 so I don't know how much is new, but I'm really liking the look of Sense. Very distinctive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

repiv posted:

The glass chin is where the display/digitizer driver lives. It's possible to squeeze buttons on top of it, as HTC used to do before they switched on on-screen ones, but there's no way to fit a large speaker on there.

I admit it's goofy looking but it can't be helped without losing the nice audio v:shobon:v

This is BS, N6 has virtually no bezels with amazing speakers.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Reverse Centaur posted:

This is BS, N6 has virtually no bezels with amazing speakers.

N6's speakers are mediocre at best by comparison, nowhere near the volume and a lot more tinny sounding. They're seriously the only exceptional thing about the M8 outside of Sense and having a metal unibody. Regardless, I'm sure HTC could ditch the huge bezels and retain the speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if the bezel is purely a design decision, and one of many rather poor ones.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 25, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Bit of revisionist history here. Softcard (ISIS) was already being developed before Google released Wallet. One of the main sticking points for Verizon and other Softcard partners was an exclusivity agreement that was established before Google ever showed off Wallet.

So, it wasn't that carriers and credit card companies got pissed off at being bypassed and invented ISIS as a response. They were already well on their way to developing contactless credit card payments when Google strolled in and said "Hey, how about this Wallet thing we made?"

Google essentially sent out party invites after everyone else had already RSVPd to a different bash and then wondered why no one showed up.

It's just another example of them not working with their partners. Had they developed a formal plan for wallet and presented it to carriers and credit card companies to get them on board before ISIS ever was founded in late 2010, then this whole thing might have never happened. Instead, Google did their normal thing about playing it close to their vest and then launching a beta level product on their own, expecting everyone else to change their plans and play along after the fact.
Oh those poor carriers and credit card companies.

All the players involved here wanted their own piece of the pie, there was never going to be getting them on board with terms any reasonable person would accept. Which let's face it, is probably a large part of why Apple bided their time rather than getting involved.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Rastor posted:

Oh those poor carriers and credit card companies.

It's not exactly like google is an underdog in all of this. They have plenty of weight to toss around if they care to.

I wasn't painting a tale of woe. I was just stating a fact that Softcard wasn't a reaction to Wallet. It was already well under development when Wallet came out and by that point it was too late for Google to even attempt to make headway with the carriers and card companies.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

Regardless, I'm sure HTC could ditch the huge bezels and retain the speakers. I wouldn't be surprised if the bezel is purely a design decision, and one of many rather poor ones.

Not with their current speaker design, it spans the entire thickness of the phone and height of the metal lip: https://i.imgur.com/3BrpKre.jpg / https://i.imgur.com/ulI8EZi.jpg

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

repiv posted:

Not with their current speaker design, it spans the entire thickness of the phone and height of the metal lip: https://i.imgur.com/3BrpKre.jpg / https://i.imgur.com/ulI8EZi.jpg

I see, that certainly explains their packaging decisions. Hopefully they'll at least improve the weight bias for the M9. Big bezel aside it could be an amazing device if they improved the handling, there was a lot to like about the M8, just not a lot to differentiate it from the usual competition. The Snapdragon 810 paired with a 1080 display is an intriguing proposition.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mr SoupTeeth posted:

The Snapdragon 810 paired with a 1080 display is an intriguing proposition.

This is why I'm strongly considering the G Flex 2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I never got the chance to play around with an M8 so I don't know how much is new, but I'm really liking the look of Sense. Very distinctive.
As someone who doesn't vomit when you see TouchWiz, I'd be curious how you feel about Sense in comparison.

As an outsider who hasn't used modern Sense I think it looks quite nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

This seems like the worst kind of buying from a spec sheet possible.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I wouldn't consider it too strongly, apparently the G Flex 2/Snapdragon 810 has ridiculous overheating/throttling problems.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I'm trying to decide on a phone or tablet or something that I can use to take notes in OneNote. How is the current Samsung S-Pen? And how well does it work with Android's version of OneNote? Are the Note 4 and Note Edge significantly different in a way that would affect notation?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

this_is_hard posted:

I wouldn't consider it too strongly, apparently the G Flex 2/Snapdragon 810 has ridiculous overheating/throttling problems.
Also reviews have been complaining about the display.

So the G Flex 2 has a bad processor and a bad screen, but hey, how important are those on a smartphone anyway?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Rastor posted:

quote:

Images, videos and text are bright and rich in detail. The screen is easily viewable in sunlight with the brightness turned all the way up, it has a wide viewing angle, and it's responsive as well.

quote:

The display itself is also very pleasing to the eye. I was never convinced that LG’s G3 needed a Quad HD resolution and the G Flex 2 reiterates the point: this new phone looks just as good, if not better, than its fellow 5.5-inch brandmate. 1080p resolution and the deep beautiful blacks of OLED make for vibrant, strong imagery whatever you’re looking at

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Rastor posted:

So the G Flex 2 has a bad processor and a bad screen, but hey, how important are those on a smartphone anyway?

That's a bummer, I was looking forward to seeing what a high end SoC would do with a reasonable display. UHD/4K screens are nice, but the GPU power isn't quite where it needs to be. Unless the device has a 9" display or you hold it a quarter inch from your eyeball I don't think it's worth the performance trade off. Hopefully the M9 puts on a better showing.

Mr SoupTeeth fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 25, 2015

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Moto E 4G announced with SD410, Moto Display and Lollipop out of the box.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/02/25/moto-e-4g-lte-specs-official/

Shame about the display, 720p at 5.1" :(

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Hace posted:

It's actually worse: 960x540 at 4.5"

But it's still a great device for the money.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Oop yeah totally misread that. Either way going below 300ppi still kinda hurts, though 245 isn't terrible or anything.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hace posted:

Moto E has a 4.5" display.

E: Beaten

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

butt dickus posted:

G Flex 2 review quotes

Yeah, I saw that one and the Engadget review (where they mentioned that the phone didn't get all that hot while watching HD video, etc.) and both left positive impressions but a lot of people have criticisms of those sites for reviews. I don't know - I don't really keep up on who does the best reviews these days. I do like the idea of that phone though and would consider getting one if the price wasn't so high.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Here are some sourced quotes regarding the G Flex 2 display:

quote:

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2885053/lg-g-flex-2-review-a-powerful-curved-smartphone-that-might-just-convert-you.html

The phone’s display produces bright and vivid colors—about what you’d expect from a high resolution OLED display, thought it wasn’t perfect. For instance, even at the lowest brightness the display was too bright, and I found myself attempting to avoid turning the phone on in the dark. I would have appreciated a slightly lower brightness setting for nighttime use.

Also, the P-OLED’s colors didn’t appear as vibrant and true as normal OLED colors typically do. Oranges and reds appeared pastel-colored, and though white backgrounds appeared to be truly white at first glance, they’re actually a tad faded and blue-hued upon closer inspection.

quote:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/02/18/lg-g-flex2-review-practical-less-interesting/

Unfortunately, for a phone obsessed with its display, the G Flex 2's remains one of its biggest potential drawbacks. While the reduced size is welcome, the continued issues with graininess, distortion, and now the bewilderingly high minimum brightness are pretty substantial compromises for the sake of the curve.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

dphi posted:

Yeah, I saw that one and the Engadget review (where they mentioned that the phone didn't get all that hot while watching HD video, etc.) and both left positive impressions but a lot of people have criticisms of those sites for reviews. I don't know - I don't really keep up on who does the best reviews these days. I do like the idea of that phone though and would consider getting one if the price wasn't so high.
The second quote is from The Verge, which is notoriously critical of Android devices. I thought this was the most impressive part.

quote:

I asked Ramchan Woo if it’s designed to flex, to which he responded by throwing his G Flex 2 on the floor and stepping on it. "You can even sit on it," he said before vigorously demonstrating that very action multiple times over. I later put his word to the test by trying to crush the Flex 2 with my fist, stepping on it, and throwing it up to a height of 20 feet in the air. Admittedly, it was landing on a soft carpet rather than unforgiving concrete, but none of these extreme tests made even a dent in the Flex 2. LG’s even gone so far as to take Gorilla Glass 3 from Corning and give it a special chemical treatment that the company says makes it 20 percent stronger and more durable. LG calls this Dura-Guard Glass and points out that it’s a particular improvement at the edges of the screen, which is where Gorilla Glass’ durability is apparently not as great as at the center.

Rastor posted:

Here are some sourced quotes regarding the G Flex 2 display:
It's interesting that the complaint on an OLED screen is now that it's too bright. I'd like to read what AnandTech and Displaymate have to say about it.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

quote:

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g-flex-2-review

For the most part it's a decent-looking screen, but "decent" is about as much praise as we can muster. Here, as with other areas of this device, you'll witness the compromises involved with creating a curvy smartphone, and if you're expecting something to rival Samsung's latest SuperAMOLED displays then you'll be disappointed. While it's perfectly visible in daylight, and delivers the deep blacks we've come to expect from OLED screens, it's decidedly mediocre in other areas.

Firstly, the minimum brightness level is criminally high, making use at night or in darker rooms problematic to say the least. Colors are generally muted compared to what we've seen from rival OLED panels. Although the display settings menu allows you to choose between three preset levels — normal, vivid and natural — these don't do much to improve color quality. There's also a noticeable graininess to images on the screen, which is most noticeable when looking at dark greys or gradients. And on top of that, we've noticed some yellowish discoloration around the top of the screen on our unit.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
What's the story with the Oneplus One? It's interesting, but I don't know a drat thing about it other then reviews online...

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

What's the story with the Oneplus One? It's interesting, but I don't know a drat thing about it other then reviews online...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Yossarian posted:

The story is that the spergs itt have a huge hate boner for it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Ok, since both the Nexus 6 and Moto X (2014) have made it officially to Amazon, I've got some questions for both devices.

Last night, I watched Erica the Tech Nerd's review on the Nexus 6 and some other guy's review. Both state that the Nexus 6 has pretty bad burn in that happens very quickly. Is this the case for those of you who have had the 6 for a while? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

The 2014 Moto X seems to suffer from the same burn-in issues. Are there any 2014 X users with this issue? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ok, since both the Nexus 6 and Moto X (2014) have made it officially to Amazon, I've got some questions for both devices.

Last night, I watched Erica the Tech Nerd's review on the Nexus 6 and some other guy's review. Both state that the Nexus 6 has pretty bad burn in that happens very quickly. Is this the case for those of you who have had the 6 for a while? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

The 2014 Moto X seems to suffer from the same burn-in issues. Are there any 2014 X users with this issue? Are there any other hardware related issues I should be aware of?

Burn in can happen on any device with an AMOLED panel. Whether or not your phone gets burn in largely depends on how you use it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

No noticeable burnin on my N6 after a couple months, but I keep my brightness quite low.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I just don't think it's a particularly great phone; seeing OnePlus' other PR and manufacturing screw-ups is just funny, regardless of how good the phone is. Unless you have a really great reason for buying off-contract, I wouldn't consider it. Even then, I'd still prefer a 1st gen Moto X or a used M8 first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nimper posted:

Burn in can happen on any device with an AMOLED panel. Whether or not your phone gets burn in largely depends on how you use it.

Yeah, I understand that. My Nexus S had burn-in after a few years. However, the problem with these two devices seems to be it's happening with regular usage and very quickly (from a few days to a few weeks of receiving the new device).

EDIT:

CLAM DOWN posted:

No noticeable burnin on my N6 after a couple months, but I keep my brightness quite low.

That's good to hear. I'd probably be keeping the brightness down too. Do you use Adaptive Brightness? also, how is the battery life?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, I understand that. My Nexus S had burn-in after a few years. However, the problem with these two devices seems to be it's happening with regular usage and very quickly (from a few days to a few weeks of receiving the new device).

EDIT:

That's good to hear. I'd probably be keeping the brightness down too. Do you use Adaptive Brightness? also, how is the battery life?

I do use adaptive brightness, it works fine. Direct sunlight is not very good for viewing but pretty much every phone I've owned has had issues with sunlight. Battery life is amazing for my use case which is light during the work day and pretty heavy in the evening. I can usually get through a full day with charge to spare. Battery gets nuked if I use my phone heavily at work though because the cell signal is poo poo here and no wifi. Overall it's the best phone I've ever owned.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I do use adaptive brightness, it works fine. Direct sunlight is not very good for viewing but pretty much every phone I've owned has had issues with sunlight. Battery life is amazing for my use case which is light during the work day and pretty heavy in the evening. I can usually get through a full day with charge to spare. Battery gets nuked if I use my phone heavily at work though because the cell signal is poo poo here and no wifi. Overall it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Yeah, sunlight seems to always be an issue for me too. I'm still kind of waffling between the two but mainly leaning towards the N6 mostly because no where around here seems to have a Moto X to mess around with for display.

Battery life sounds better than the N4 which is good. I barely get 3 hours or so out of it now a days. Do you have that ambient notifications thing turned on?

Any cases you (or anyone else) can recommend? Is Diztronic still the go-to thing?

Loop

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 25, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, sunlight seems to always be an issue for me too. I'm still kind of waffling between the two but mainly leaning towards the N6 mostly because no where around here seems to have one to mess around with for display.

Battery life sounds better than the N4 which is good. I barely get 3 hours or so out of it now a days. Do you have that ambient notifications thing turned on?

Any cases you (or anyone else) can recommend? Is Diztronic still the go-to thing?

I only use Diztronic cases so I can't very well recommend another one!

I should mention too that I have the ambient display thing turned off, which is supposed to slightly improve battery life (the feature where if you lift your phone off a desk/table it lights up a portion of the display in b&w to show notifications).

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Everyone who has an opinion that isn't 100% in line with mine is somewhere on the Autism spectrum, and probably guilty of at least one crime against humanity.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I only use Diztronic cases so I can't very well recommend another one!

I should mention too that I have the ambient display thing turned off, which is supposed to slightly improve battery life (the feature where if you lift your phone off a desk/table it lights up a portion of the display in b&w to show notifications).

Yeah, it doesn't look like the ambient display works very well anyway. Does the Diztronic make the phone annoying to pocket?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, it doesn't look like the ambient display works very well anyway. Does the Diztronic make the phone annoying to pocket?

Nope, it's a very minimal/light/thin case. Also like $9.99 so it's hard to go wrong.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Diztronic is the best case IMO.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nope, it's a very minimal/light/thin case. Also like $9.99 so it's hard to go wrong.

Awesome. Mine was $12 for the N4 one. :v:

Oh! How's the camera? Erica's had focusing problems while taking videos. How's the picture quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The N6 doesn't have a great camera but I like it better than the Note 2 one.