Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

In IWDEE did they allow you to go from dual weapons to a bow? I know this wasn't possible in the old engine. Also do cleric/rangers still get all the tasty spells or was that fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Decrepus posted:

In IWDEE did they allow you to go from dual weapons to a bow? I know this wasn't possible in the old engine. Also do cleric/rangers still get all the tasty spells or was that fixed?

No, having a bow equipped disables the off-hand slot. There is an option in the .ini file where you can enable the BG2 cleric/ranger behavior to get all the druid spells.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Taliesyn posted:

It's a helluva story, isn't it?

Two questions:

1) Did you manage to merge with the three Incarnations in the Fortress of Regrets?
2) Which ending path did you take? There are a number of ways to finish, many of which avoid combat altogether.

Also, Deionarra's fate just seriously got to me during my first play-through. If I could have tortured the Practical Incarnation to death, I would have cheerfully done so.

Note: I'm using the spoiler tags because at least one other person reading this thread is playing for the first time.

I merged with all three past incarnations. It took a reload because I angered Paranoid Incarnation.
As for which ending I got, the first time I fought the Transcendent One I fought him in combat. It was really unsatisfying. I didn't think that was the proper ending so I reloaded and realized that I could talk my way into merging with him. TNO then revived all his allies and said goodbye. It was a pretty touching ending. The final cinematic depicts TNO in Carceri or the Blood War? I'm not sure what was about...

As for Deionarra's fate, I had a feeling that her death was under some especially horrible circumstances and I had a feeling some incarnation of TNO was very productive but very sinister. I get to that scene and I feel like the whole game has been leading up to that point. Maybe I felt like that because as I played through the story, I tried to be as good as possible, almost to redeem any past offenses that my former selves had committed.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

DoubleCakes posted:

As for Deionarra's fate, I had a feeling that her death was under some especially horrible circumstances and I had a feeling some incarnation of TNO was very productive but very sinister. I get to that scene and I feel like the whole game has been leading up to that point. Maybe I felt like that because as I played through the story, I tried to be as good as possible, almost to redeem any past offenses that my former selves had committed.

This is a good observation. The (Planescape endgame spoilers) practical incarnation, which is one of the three incarnations you meet just before TTO and whose movements you have been tracking throughout the game, was both highly competent and extremely evil. He was the one who manipulated and then intentionally abandoned Deionarra.

I hope you kept the bronze sphere and used it after merging with your previous incarnations.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Also, what was your answer to the big question?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Draile posted:

I hope you kept the bronze sphere and used it after merging with your previous incarnations.

I kept it and used it but nothing notable happened.

omeg posted:

Also, what was your answer to the big question?

When Ravel asked me that question, I answered with "You, Ravel. As you changed my nature forever." That's as best an answer I could say truthfully at the time. When TTO asked me that question, I gave him the "Anything one believes in can change the nature of man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DoubleCakes posted:

I kept it and used it but nothing notable happened.

it's supposed to give you a bazillion xp.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I need to replay pst sometimes because last time I forgot to pick up the bronze sphere :(

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Skwirl posted:

it's supposed to give you a bazillion xp.

It does, it levels you up hugely. Maybe there's a prompt with one of the incarnations though that the other poster missed?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm a giant nerd so one of the tracks on my bands forthcoming debut album is called What Can Change the Nature of a Man?

The song is about regret.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
The only right answer :colbert:

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Taear posted:

It does, it levels you up hugely. Maybe there's a prompt with one of the incarnations though that the other poster missed?

I think you may need to learn from one of the incarnations that it is a sensory stone for it to work.

For me, more important than the xp (meaningless at that point) is the tremendous narrative device of TNO learning his name without the player finding out what it is, because what it is doesn't matter.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Thaddius the Large posted:

You've got all your bases covered with those people, and an extra emphasis on melee, so while the general suggestion would be to play an arcane caster (Wild Mage erry day) because more arcane casters usually mean a big leap in power, you can really just go with personal preference.

JustJeff88 posted:

I was going to recommend that you play an evil druid or evil druid dual-/multi-class, but I just remembered that in 2nd edition druids could only be true neutral and it wasn't until 3rd edition that druids could be any flavour of neutral, like neutral evil. A TN druid would still work well enough provided that you keep your rep from getting too high; after all, your main character isn't going to get fed up and leave the party if they are too evil. I like druids because of they have a few class-specific spells that are just fantastic, and avenger druids add a bit of arcane might to the mix. They are pretty frail in combat, but this party has enough muscle I would say.

You have two tanks, one more defensive in Korgan and one more offensive in Dorn, so you are in good kit there. If not a druid, I would say maybe a bard kit since they add a bit of everything: a somewhat limited arcane caster, someone who can pick pockets so that Hexxat doesn't have to worry about it, and a bit of muscle. Also, a mage/cleric multi would be a good idea. You would get practically every spell in the game in one character, they are insanely powerful at high levels, and you would have an extra arcane and divine caster for when needs must.
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I went ahead and did an LG Kensai (mostly because the Bhaalspawn abilities are somewhat useful) with the intent of dual classing and got to Chapter 2 again before realizing that my Strength was too low to dual class (14).

Considering starting anew, perhaps with a pure mage, albeit one created in ToB and imported backwards for giggles.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I went ahead and did an LG Kensai (mostly because the Bhaalspawn abilities are somewhat useful) with the intent of dual classing and got to Chapter 2 again before realizing that my Strength was too low to dual class (14).

Just boost it up with Gatekeeper; I promise that I won't tell anyone.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

JustJeff88 posted:

Just boost it up with Gatekeeper; I promise that I won't tell anyone.
I think I could just spawn a tome of strength in the console but that way is such a slippery slope for me.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I have a question about druid/multiclassing xp. I am about to fight Amellisan at the Throne of Bhaal, and most of party is really high level: Mazzy and Rasaad in the 30s, Imoen and Neera in the mid-20s. Even my mutliclass cleric/fighter is at 22/20. But Jaheria is a level 19 fighter and a level 14 druid. This seems unbelievably low; I know that druids wonky xp tables, but according to Jaheira's char sheet it takes the same xp to get to fighter 20 as druid 15 (3,000,000). Is my game glitched, or is this how it is supposed to be?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

I have a question about druid/multiclassing xp. I am about to fight Amellisan at the Throne of Bhaal, and most of party is really high level: Mazzy and Rasaad in the 30s, Imoen and Neera in the mid-20s. Even my mutliclass cleric/fighter is at 22/20. But Jaheria is a level 19 fighter and a level 14 druid. This seems unbelievably low; I know that druids wonky xp tables, but according to Jaheira's char sheet it takes the same xp to get to fighter 20 as druid 15 (3,000,000). Is my game glitched, or is this how it is supposed to be?

Nope, that XP level is correct. Keep in mind that if you can actually get Jaheira to Druid 15 she will get massively more powerful, as she will get 6 spells per day at every spell level including 7th.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times, but there' s no way even with a mod to dual class a Sorceror in Baldur's Gate 1/2, right?

I recently got the Enhanced Editions of BG1 & 2; played 2 when it came out but otherwise haven't played BG 1 or 2 since then. Vaguely remember playing some kind of melee spell-mage that from what I can figure out must have been a dual-class kensai/mage but all told I'd really prefer the ease of play of a sorceror if possible.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sadly no. It would have been awesome tho, especially something like Monk/Sorcerer.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, given that the coolest option is off the table, then, what's the recommendation for starting fresh if I intend to take the character through both games? Still Kensai/Mage dual?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yeah, Kensai/Mage is the best since Kensai's penalties (no armor and ranged weapons) are a non-issue due to mage's spells.

But you can always do something wild and dual class a barbarian into a mage and have fun as a berserking gish.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Is there any particular set of tips for starting as a kensai in BG 1 with plans on dual-classing to mage later, then? Any particular magic items i should look for?

It's painfully hard to search for BG *1* guides, especially ones that incorporate the Expanded Edition info.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 27, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Disco Infiva posted:

Yeah, Kensai/Mage is the best since Kensai's penalties (no armor and ranged weapons) are a non-issue due to mage's spells.

But you can always do something wild and dual class a barbarian into a mage and have fun as a berserking gish.

If you're playing SCS the barbarian dual class is arguably better because rage gives immunity to a ton of status effects, and I don't think there's a barbarian npc in bg2. This is particularly important if you go solo.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there any particular set of tips for starting as a kensai in BG 1 with plans on dual-classing to mage later, then? Any particular magic items i should look for?

It's painfully hard to search for BG *1* guides, especially ones that incorporate the Expanded Edition info.

Just stop with the Kensai crap and play a regular Fighter/Mage multiclass. They're a lot more fun anyway.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Kensai is going to be terrible in BG1. No armor is obviously a problem, but also keep in mind: there are no Ioun Stones, so your MC is always vulnerable to critical hits. Also, ranged is king, and a kensai can't use the better ranged weapons.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Smol posted:

Just stop with the Kensai crap and play a regular Fighter/Mage multiclass. They're a lot more fun anyway.

Aww, but it's a kit! Kits are always better!

Actually serious question can I just adopt the kit later

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Actually serious question can I just adopt the kit later

You can't.

Really just play what you want - but min/maxing it to the degree of dual classing like that really isn't something you need to do and it'll be bloody hard if you're playing through BG1 as a Kensai.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Seriously, just try a berserker mix. I just did a playthrough with a berserker/cleric dual-class and it was ridiculously easy - you wind up immune to mind affecting magic, maze, imprison, everything like that, and you're one spell away from full fighter THACO (and 25 STR if you've not assembled Crom Faeyr yet or have someone else using it).

Nemo07
Jul 26, 2013
Add another person to the list of people playing PST for the first time. :v: I know where to find Pharod, but haven't met him yet.

I'm one of those jackasses that tends to play RPGs with a walkthrough right beside me the very first time. I get the impression that's a terrible idea for Planescape, though, so should I just go at it blind and pick up anything I miss on a second playthrough? Is there anything important that I could easily miss?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Nemo07 posted:

Add another person to the list of people playing PST for the first time. :v: I know where to find Pharod, but haven't met him yet.

I'm one of those jackasses that tends to play RPGs with a walkthrough right beside me the very first time. I get the impression that's a terrible idea for Planescape, though, so should I just go at it blind and pick up anything I miss on a second playthrough? Is there anything important that I could easily miss?

There is an almost infinite amount of awesome stuff you could completely miss in planescape without a walkthrough. At least one full companion,

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Nemo07 posted:

Important? A few things - none critical or show-stopping, but there are a lot of neat stories, a hell of a lot of background, as HA said, a full companion, and an object that eventually can net you something like 2,000,000 xp that you can easily miss without a walkthrough. Even if you're the type to explore everywhere, believe me you'll miss poo poo.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Nemo07 posted:

Your experience is going to be a bit different based on how you build your character anyways.

There is a ton of content that's amazing to find on your first go-around. Don't use a walkthrough; just play the game slowly and explore everywhere you can. Talk to everyone thoroughly (including your companions) and maybe jot down notes on places/people to return to. Experiment with items, especially weird ones.

It's really good!! Using a walkthrough your first time would be a shame.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm still in the Clerk's Ward. I went to the Sensatorium, and I found the secret room under the brothel. Is there anything I can do there? It showed up in the journal that I found it, but I can't figure out what to do. At this point, I know that I need to ask the girl at the brothel for a piece of her, but I still don't know where to find the gate to Ravel's maze. I also opened a dodecahedron, and I'm considering going back to the mortuary to talk to Deionarra, cause holy poo poo, I was apparently a total dick to her in the past.

Planescape Torment is good so far.

Edit: I'm also getting the feeling that every terrible thing that has happened to anybody before, I am the cause of it. Oh, your father was murdered? Turns out that was most likely me.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

I'm still in the Clerk's Ward. I went to the Sensatorium, and I found the secret room under the brothel. Is there anything I can do there? It showed up in the journal that I found it, but I can't figure out what to do. At this point, I know that I need to ask the girl at the brothel for a piece of her, but I still don't know where to find the gate to Ravel's maze. I also opened a dodecahedron, and I'm considering going back to the mortuary to talk to Deionarra, cause holy poo poo, I was apparently a total dick to her in the past.

Planescape Torment is good so far.

Edit: I'm also getting the feeling that every terrible thing that has happened to anybody before, I am the cause of it. Oh, your father was murdered? Turns out that was most likely me.

Have you acquired the portal key?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Taliesyn posted:

Have you acquired the portal key?

I haven't talked to her about it yet. I'm still just seeing what is available to me here. The demon woman in clerk's ward has a LOT of stuff for me to buy, so I'm trying to buy all of that.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

I haven't talked to her about it yet. I'm still just seeing what is available to me here. The demon woman in clerk's ward has a LOT of stuff for me to buy, so I'm trying to buy all of that.

Ahh, okay. You'll need to pick up your legacy to get that quest moving again.

Edit:

quote:

Let's just say that TNO has had a long and storied career.

Taliesyn fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 27, 2015

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Taliesyn posted:

Ahh, okay. You'll need to pick up your legacy to get that quest moving again.

Edit:

Let's just say that TNO has had a long and storied career.

Yeah, I've talked to the lawyer guy and gotten two of them, one from what I believe was mine, and one from one of my prior companions.

I just spent way too much time trying to find out who stole a loving veil.

Edit: The only thing I really dislike about the game is that a) I'm not really sure what I'm doing during combat still, and b) the pathing that either completely blocks me from entering a room or going somewhere or sending me to a completely different room than the one I was trying to enter. This only really happens if I select my entire party to move with me at the same time.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 27, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Taliesyn posted:

Seriously, just try a berserker mix. I just did a playthrough with a berserker/cleric dual-class and it was ridiculously easy - you wind up immune to mind affecting magic, maze, imprison, everything like that, and you're one spell away from full fighter THACO (and 25 STR if you've not assembled Crom Faeyr yet or have someone else using it).

I started up a berserker . . . and rolled a guy with 88 total points and an 18/100 strength after just a few minutes of clicking. So yeah going berserker. I'll see how he works out, thanks!

Edit: What's a good level to dual-class over to Mage, given I'll be playing him all the way through both Enhanced Editions?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 27, 2015

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I started up a berserker . . . and rolled a guy with 88 total points and an 18/100 strength after just a few minutes of clicking. So yeah going berserker. I'll see how he works out, thanks!

Edit: What's a good level to dual-class over to Mage, given I'll be playing him all the way through both Enhanced Editions?

If you're rolling zerker the best thresholds to dual class are probably 4 and 8, as you get another enrage every 4 levels. You can also dual at 12 if you want more combat stats, but you'll be an under-leveled mage for much longer into BG2 if you do that without scribe cheesing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Level 9 is also a good contender for an extra weapon pip, and it is also the last level you get full HP from. HP is a good reason alone actually.