Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a way to determine the freshness of milk before drinking it? I bought some chocolate milk at the store the other day and when I took my first sip of it, it was sorta fizzy and tasted all tart and disgusting like expired soda. It wasn't even past the expiration date; the container was brand new and unopened, and it still had the seal on it and everything. :gonk:

It was a lactose-free grocery store-brand milk that's unsweetened and fortified with extra protein, in case that helps.

And before anybody even brings it up, no I am not switching to soy/rice/almond/possum/whatever fake "alternative" milk your goon rear end prefers over regular milk, and no you may not ask why or tell me reasons to think about doing that. Because I see that get brought up on SA a lot whenever the subject of milk comes up. I don't care if cow's milk is the devil and I shouldn't drink it :colbert:... as long as it doesn't taste nasty or make me sick, I'm good.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Before drinking it? I just smell it. Before buying it? I just find the latest date possible. I always buy heavy cream to keep on hand for cooking/baking and just adjust for the fat content I need. But I guess that doesn't help your chocolate dairy needs unless you want to try a 1:1 water-cream ratio plus chocolate syrup (or be an ultimate goon lord). I guess in your case just learn the good expiry range and try to not push it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hed posted:

Before drinking it? I just smell it. Before buying it? I just find the latest date possible. I always buy heavy cream to keep on hand for cooking/baking and just adjust for the fat content I need. But I guess that doesn't help your chocolate dairy needs unless you want to try a 1:1 water-cream ratio plus chocolate syrup (or be an ultimate goon lord). I guess in your case just learn the good expiry range and try to not push it.

That's the thing though. It was the same expiry range I always buy, and I did buy the latest date on the shelf, give or take maybe 2 days.

I actually bought two cartons of it, and now I'm scared to even open the second one because what if it has the same problem :ohdear:

The thing about milk affecting your loogies is a myth, fyi :viggo:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

The thing about milk affecting your loogies is a myth, fyi :viggo:

Sure, but I always get a kick out of the ridiculous things that PETA does.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Is there a way to determine the freshness of milk before drinking it? I bought some chocolate milk at the store the other day and when I took my first sip of it, it was sorta fizzy and tasted all tart and disgusting like expired soda. It wasn't even past the expiration date; the container was brand new and unopened, and it still had the seal on it and everything. :gonk:

It was a lactose-free grocery store-brand milk that's unsweetened and fortified with extra protein, in case that helps.

And before anybody even brings it up, no I am not switching to soy/rice/almond/possum/whatever fake "alternative" milk your goon rear end prefers over regular milk, and no you may not ask why or tell me reasons to think about doing that. Because I see that get brought up on SA a lot whenever the subject of milk comes up. I don't care if cow's milk is the devil and I shouldn't drink it :colbert:... as long as it doesn't taste nasty or make me sick, I'm good.

If its not past the expiration date, report it to the store and the fda (if thats the right place anyway...not an american here)

anyway, milk is gross, why drink it in the first place?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Have you had that type of milk before? My girlfriend gets lactose free milk and it smells a bit funny.

Edit: so what I'm saying is maybe it tastes a bit funny too, never had it. I much prefer kale milk.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Milk is good. Drink milk.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Eeyo posted:

Have you had that type of milk before? My girlfriend gets lactose free milk and it smells a bit funny.

Yes. A lot. For a long time. I tend to go through it embarrassingly quickly, too.

EDIT: I saved the carton in case it needed to be inspected or I needed a proof of purchase. I dumped all of the milk down the sink and rinsed it out with water a couple of times, though.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 25, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Only way to tell if milk is bad before opening it is to see if the carton is bulging.

Hard to say whether the milk is straight up rancid or if that's just the flavor. Milk is frothy if you shake it but it certainly shouldn't be fizzy like a soda after opening it. The taste could be influenced by whatever they used to fortify it with protein. There's a lot of variables but I'd say just buy regular milk and use a chocolate mix. It's cheaper, you can vary the flavor, and now you can use the regular unflavored milk for the myriad other uses for milk.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oh gently caress me I just sniffed the lid opening and it smelled like pee

I think I drank cow piss guys :barf:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oh gently caress me I just sniffed the lid opening and it smelled like pee

I think I drank cow piss guys :barf:

That'll teach you for drinking lactose free milk. Whole or bust.

But if you still have the receipt definitely bring it up at customer service. Hell, bring it up anyway tampered/spoiled food is one of the few things companies take seriously.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

al-azad posted:

That'll teach you for drinking lactose free milk. Whole or bust.

But if you still have the receipt definitely bring it up at customer service. Hell, bring it up anyway tampered/spoiled food is one of the few things companies take seriously.

That will give you your money back, definitely.
but then they'll just throw away the package and nothing is done about it.

if there's a fault in the production process that needs to be fixed, you need to address the manufacturer itself and/or the authorities.

edit: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm049087.htm
also, insert a batch number when you mail the manufacturer

paraquat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 25, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone here have any good dehydrator recipes?

I got a pretty fancy dehydrator for Christmas and I've been tinkering with it for a little while now. I started with easy stuff like kale chips and dried fruit before moving on to beef jerky. I've made a few batches and have tried out some different flavors with decent success and I'd like to move on to something more complicated at this point. Any and all recipes are welcome, but I'm really interested in using this thing with more vegetables. My attempts at sweet potato chips turned out poorly.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Safety Factor posted:

I got a pretty fancy dehydrator for Christmas and I've been tinkering with it for a little while now. I started with easy stuff like kale chips and dried fruit before moving on to beef jerky. I've made a few batches and have tried out some different flavors with decent success and I'd like to move on to something more complicated at this point. Any and all recipes are welcome, but I'm really interested in using this thing with more vegetables. My attempts at sweet potato chips turned out poorly.

don't have a dehydrator, so I cannot reccomend recipes, but you might want to google the "raw food" people.

http://www.therawtarian.com/best-raw-dehydrator-recipes
http://thehealthyfamilyandhome.com/category/dehydrated-foods/
see?

paraquat fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 25, 2015

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Milk is good. Drink milk.

Comparable amounts of sugar to soda and nutrients you can get in the same amounts from other sources. Na I'm good.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Safety Factor posted:

And lo our lord Alton Brown did come down from the mountain

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/beef-jerky-recipe.html

IMO, there's 4 important ingredients:

1 1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
DRYING THAT poo poo PROPERLY FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS FOR YOUR UNIT

The rest is really up to you. Start experimenting, have fun, lament your meat bill.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Comparable amounts of sugar to soda and nutrients you can get in the same amounts from other sources. Na I'm good.

You probably don't like cookies either.

Communist.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Communist.

if you like milk, drink it,

if you drink milk because you think it's good for you, you'd better trade it for eating green veggies and drinking a glass of water

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Communist.

I actually don't :smugbert: But I also don't like sweet things

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
oh, and completely unrelated to the milk debate, but because I cannot think of another place to post this:

we had a doc running to the media over here, because she had seen a few too many malnourished kids with "educated" parents
that fed them loads of "superfoods" and skipping normal food ..... I'm just saying: LOL

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I only feed my kids a mixture of flax seeds and coconut oil. Aside from the incontinence, they seem pretty healthy.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I only feed my kids a mixture of flax seeds and coconut oil. Aside from the incontinence, they seem pretty healthy.

it must be very healthy then, please continue.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I had a bunch of extra eggs, so I tried to make salty eggs with them, but I must have left them in the brine too long because I used one today and it was just tooooo salty. Also the yolk was hard. Is there anything I can still use these in? If I soak them in water will it draw some of the salt out?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Esme posted:

I had a bunch of extra eggs, so I tried to make salty eggs with them, but I must have left them in the brine too long because I used one today and it was just tooooo salty. Also the yolk was hard. Is there anything I can still use these in? If I soak them in water will it draw some of the salt out?

unless you brined 144 eggs too long, I'd say throw them out?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

paraquat posted:

unless you brined 144 eggs too long, I'd say throw them out?

Aww I hate throwing out food, but you're probably right. Eggs are cheap.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Comparable amounts of sugar to soda

I suppose "less than half the amount" is technically "comparable"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

poo poo, I was thinking of calories I guess?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I milk goats. Red and Cinders were nice enough to let me milk them, I am determined to do wonderful things with it.

In another vein, is it just me or is beef heart better reheated then fresh off the grill? All the times I've had it now, it benefits from a night in the fridge and two minues in the microwave.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 25, 2015

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

paraquat posted:

don't have a dehydrator, so I cannot reccomend recipes, but you might want to google the "raw food" people.

http://www.therawtarian.com/best-raw-dehydrator-recipes
http://thehealthyfamilyandhome.com/category/dehydrated-foods/
see?
Thanks for the links. The recipes are more or less what I'm looking for and will act as some decent guidelines. I made the mistake of glossing over vegan stuff, but that's easily modified if I really feel the need to do so.

Start experimenting, have fun, lament your meat bill.
I already am. I think I've gone through a dozen pounds of meat so far just trying out different flavors. I've been giving a lot away to get opinions on things. The favorite so far is based on an old marinade my family uses. It's equal parts lemon juice, Worcestershire, and butter and sits in the fridge for 12-24 hours. Get a little bit of salt and pepper on that and run it through the dehydrator.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Esme posted:

Grate them on top of pasta like you would with a hard cheese.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

poo poo, I was thinking of calories I guess?

8oz of skim milk = 80 calories, 8g protein, 8g sugars

What kind of soda are you drinking?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

KettleWL posted:

8oz of skim milk = 80 calories, 8g protein, 8g sugars

What kind of soda are you drinking?

Skim milk? Come on.

2% is 183 every 12 oz
Coke Classic is 140 calories in 12 oz

Hell, Skim is 120 every 12 oz so just barely less than a Coke.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Skim milk? Come on.

2% is 183 every 12 oz
Coke Classic is 140 calories in 12 oz

Hell, Skim is 120 every 12 oz so just barely less than a Coke.

Skim is also 10:1 cal:protein, which is great. Just because there's milk options with more calories doesn't mean skim is a bad option

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
So don't drink excessive amounts of either pop or milk? I don't understand why this is becoming an argument.

Anyway, I've recently discovered fancy nutty/grainy salads. I'd like to make some at home, any suggestions for good things to put in them? Should you cook cous cous/quinoa/etc as normal and then shock with cold water or are they fine to just cool on the side and in the fridge?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Except it's loving gross. 2% club for life. :rms:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
DRINK WHEY. Most fat and sugar removed for cheese. It is tangy and refreshing when cold, perfect after a hard day out in the sun.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Suspect Bucket posted:

DRINK WHEY. Most fat and sugar removed for cheese. It is tangy and refreshing when cold, perfect after a hard day out in the sun.

So is gose.

Gose is good. Drink gose.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
i drink buttermilk on the reg, straight from the carton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bollock Monkey posted:

So don't drink excessive amounts of either pop or milk?
GOMAD or go home.