Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Where are you finding it for that cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Can anyone give me some basic specs to look for in a tablet to sit in the back of a car and play kiddie movies on long trips? Is there a type of screen that would work best in that situation? Can I stuff a 64gb memory card ito it etc...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd say that kid's Kindle Fire, but it apparently only has 4.5 user-available space and no expansion, so that's probably not great for filling with movies.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
We need a tablet for work that basically just needs to display an Excel sheet 24/7 for our client DB. Ideally we want to spend less than $250. Something that has a keyboard cover available would be awesome too. Will basically any Android tablet suffice for this? It is hard to sort between the $100 and $500 stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's lots of Windows 8 tablets in that price range. Some even come with Office!

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

There's lots of Windows 8 tablets in that price range. Some even come with Office!

Anything that isn't awful? I found an Acer one that fit the bill but reviews are terrible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

The Gunslinger posted:

Anything that isn't awful? I found an Acer one that fit the bill but reviews are terrible.

It's a bit more than you're looking to spend ($300) but the Asus Transformer T90 Chi is suppose to be coming out soon and that comes with a keyboard.

If you need it now and want something a bit bigger, I've heard good things about the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 with Windows (10"). That's $369 and comes with a bluetooth keyboard.

I just updated the Windows 8 tablet thread so it has a good list of the tablets that are available. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698422 (Recent ones. You may be able to find a used Dell Venue 8 Pro or Toshiba Encore [original] that's in your price range)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 4, 2015

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm looking to get a used tablet in the ~$200 range that comes with or supports the use of a stylus (like Samsung's S-Pen, not just a finger replacement). Screen should be around 7"-8", definitely leaning towards Android unless theres a compelling Windows tablet option.

I intend to use it for just drawing and web browsing.

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 4, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's none in that price range beyond maybe a used Galaxy Note.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

Endless Mike posted:

There's none in that price range beyond maybe a used Galaxy Note.

Like this one? http://amzn.com/B00BQH8UEY

Looks pretty nice, anyone have an opinion on this model?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

StickFigs posted:

Like this one? http://amzn.com/B00BQH8UEY

Looks pretty nice, anyone have an opinion on this model?

1280x800 display is pretty bleh

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I have a year of Amazon Prime now. Considering grabbing the Amazon Fire HD tablet, since it's on sale for megacheap. Should I?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Deciding between iPad Air 2 or... If I don't actually need a tablet and my Galaxy S5 is good enough.

I'll use it mostly for browsing. But years of marketing has me believing the Apple line about unique apps for tablets. Are there enough unique iPad experiences to try to justify the $100+ price difference between an Android tablet and an iPad?

And an Android tablet doesn't really excite me as my GS5 is basically just as powerful as any Android tablet, just with a slightly smaller screen, but basically same apps.

So iPad Air 2 for couch browsing and a new app ecosystem, or continue browsing on my phone?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

You sound like you want a new toy, not a tablet. Save the money.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I agree with that, but to answer your question: Yeah, there's lots of unique iPad apps that *might* be possible on a phone, but the added screen size really helps to flesh out. That said, if you don't really have any specific use case, you'll probably end up not using it.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Segmentation Fault posted:

I have a year of Amazon Prime now. Considering grabbing the Amazon Fire HD tablet, since it's on sale for megacheap. Should I?

If you got the money, go for it. 6" tablet for < $100 is a good buy as long as you aren't grabbing some no name knock off.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Segmentation Fault posted:

Amazon tablets are all trash, the software is trash, don't touch it. I've uses all of them for testing at work they cause no end of problems. You can't install Chrome FFS.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Are there enough unique iPad experiences to try to justify the $100+ price difference between an Android tablet and an iPad?
There's two reasons why there's lot of iPad-targetted apps and fewer on Android. The first is due to the popularity of iPads over Android tablets, especially any one Android tablet, such that a single layout/design effort within an app will reach a wide audience.

The second reason though is that iPhone UIs look lovely and terrible on iPads; they're blown up and letter boxed, so you have to make apps that target iPads. In contrast, Android apps generally scale reasonably to larger device sizes. Sure a simplified 4-5" phone interface will end up being a little too simple on a 9" Android tablet, but looks a lot better than the iPhone-to-iPad equivalent, so there's less pressure to target tablet-specific layouts on Android.

Honestly though it comes down to what your use cases are. Most of my iPad use is web browsing and GoodReader.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm going to assume that, from recommendations in the last couple of pages, there's no reason not to buy the Moorefield ASUS MeMo 7 over an earlier version, correct?

At present, I have a lovely Tablet (Dragon Touch Y88: 4GB Storage, 512MB RAM, iMAP X15 Dual Core, Android 4.1.1) that I picked up from a rummage shop for $30. It's decent for what I use it for (light gaming, watching movies, very light browsing) but it's showing its limitations: can't run Goat Simulator (dies on the title screen), couldn't load some of the Humble Bundle Sorcery! games I picked up (wouldn't install), no future OS upgrades, storage is really tight, 1000 mAh battery capacity goes fast and drains even while plugged into USB, a bit chuggy. I wouldn't mind retiring this to "the movie watching tablet" and picking up a cheap one for general screwing around with a bit more under the hood. I want at least 16GB in main storage after seeing how cramped 4GB became. Either of the ASUSes above seem like a good fit?

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
I've been happy with my Moorefield ASUS Memopad. The last few updates have solved the issues I had with it (except the 3 hour recharge time from 0% battery). It has decent battery life; I mainly use it for Netflix and reading magazines with some gaming. I've added an SD card to it, but I still have about 3gigs available on the device itself even with 14 games (and other apps) installed.

I have the games you were having trouble with. Goat Simulator runs great, but the tablet will heat up a bit. Sorcery games I've not played much, but I have had no problems so far. Hearthstone plays ok; it's laggy, but consistently so if that makes sense. I've never played it on the computer, so I don't know if that's just because of network latency or the platform or the tablet. Terraria can't accept the built-in keyboard, so install Swiftkeys or an analogue.

Take a Best Buy moving coupon with you to save 10%. Remember, you can always return it if you're not happy with it.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Picked up the galaxy tab s 10.5, this thing is pretty awesome. I have to say certain websites make so much more sense now. Thanks for the help.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

My 94 year old grandfather has been stealing my aunt's ipad to play solitaire. We want to get him a 10" tablet he can use for some card games. I don't think he's ever used a computer or email or anything, so I don't expect him to do much besides play those games.

I'm looking at some android tablets but there's a ton of brands I've never heard of. Are there any recommended 10" tablets? I guess the budget is somewhere around 200$, which looks it could get an older Galaxy refurb or an Acer Iconia.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Debating between an Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 or iPad mini 2.

How good is the multi-window in the Samsung? Probably the biggest draw for me as I would love to be able to watch a YT video/twitch while I browse the internet. Does it work on any apps or is it fairly limited? I'd like to use the reddit app and watch YT videos for example, at the same time. Anyway to do that on an iPad?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Phiberoptik posted:

Debating between an Samsung Galaxy tab s 8.4 or iPad mini 2.

How good is the multi-window in the Samsung? Probably the biggest draw for me as I would love to be able to watch a YT video/twitch while I browse the internet. Does it work on any apps or is it fairly limited? I'd like to use the reddit app and watch YT videos for example, at the same time. Anyway to do that on an iPad?

iPad can't do multiple apps at once. However, way more apps are optimized for the iPad vs the Samsung, so I would always recommend an iPad over android tab for that reason alone.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

iPad can't do multiple apps at once. However, way more apps are optimized for the iPad vs the Samsung, so I would always recommend an iPad over android tab for that reason alone.

If my plans basically involve SA/Reddit/Chrome, and YT/Twitch is this as big of an impact for me? I never really find myself using random apps that much other than maybe some games and mostly web browsing.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Multi-window is only good if you root, otherwise you can't add your own apps to it IIRC.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Would an Asus Transformer T100 work for code development? Is it worth the extra money to have a Windows 8 machine rather than running off of KitKat? Or would I be better off with a Chromebook of some variety? Since I tend to have one window with the site on which I'm working and another showing my code, I believe the answer is 'yes', but I wanted to be sure. Anything at all is an upgrade from my Latitude D620 craptop at this point, but I don't have the up-front capital for a full-on laptop yet.

BlueInkAlchemist fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 23, 2015

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Would an Asus Transformer T100 work for code development? Is it worth the extra money to have a Windows 8 machine rather than running off of KitKat? Or would I be better off with a Chromebook of some variety? Since I tend to have one window with the site on which I'm working and another showing my code, I believe the answer is 'yes', but I wanted to be sure. Anything at all is an upgrade from my Latitude D620 craptop at this point, but I don't have the up-front capital for a full-on laptop yet.

It's worth keeping in mind that the T100 doesn't have a full sized keyboard.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 24, 2015

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that the T100 doesn't have a full sized keyboard.

There would definitely be an external keyboard involved for longer hours of code/writing work. An external full-sized mouse, too: touch pads can be difficult, touch screens finicky, and mini mice give my hands nasty cramps.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Is there a good tablet that has some kind of active stylus interaction with OneNote that isn't godawful expensive? I don't need a Surface.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

signalnoise posted:

Is there a good tablet that has some kind of active stylus interaction with OneNote that isn't godawful expensive? I don't need a Surface.

Toshiba Encore 2 Write? 8 inch is $349 and the 10 inch is $399

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I'm looking to buy a tablet to game, browse the internet, and play movies. I prefer to buy one premium device and stick with it until it's horribly outdated. My budget will probably be around $700, and want an Android device.

It looks like Samsung Galaxy Tab S is the closest to my needs. Are there other Android tablets out that are equally as good or better for what I want? Any unreleased tablets that I should wait for? It looks like the Galaxy Tab S2 looks to be another solid device, although I'm not sure if I like the 4:3 screen that it will probably have. Also I prefer to have a screen at least 9 inches.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Why do you want a android device specifically?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I already use and familiar with the google / android ecosystem.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
I want a cheap tablet for decking about with on the train is there any reason not to get tescos hudl?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

fluppet posted:

I want a cheap tablet for decking about with on the train is there any reason not to get tescos hudl?

Is it much different than your phone? It will run the exact same apps, same layout, a little more screen real-estate, and probably worse performance.

Also, if it doesn't have 3G/4G then it's of limited use for travel imo.

I'd rather just use my phone, or else buy a bigger & better tablet.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

I'd say it's an ideal tablet for dicking around with. Just remember you're not paying for top specs.

e: it even looks half decent in black

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I'm looking for a pretty solid tablet that does everything well, mostly videos, comics, browsing etc. Not looking for an IPad. I have a bunch of gift cards from work that are expiring, so I'm willing to pony up the dough for something awesome. Seems like the shield and tab s are the favorites from browsing here and the android thread, though the yoga 2 seems kind of cool too. Anyone want to sway me in a direction?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you want something that does everything well, you want an iPad. There's a reason why android fansites even say the iPad Air 2 is hands down the best tablet out there right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I'm looking for a pretty solid tablet that does everything well, mostly videos, comics, browsing etc. Not looking for an IPad. I have a bunch of gift cards from work that are expiring, so I'm willing to pony up the dough for something awesome. Seems like the shield and tab s are the favorites from browsing here and the android thread, though the yoga 2 seems kind of cool too. Anyone want to sway me in a direction?

You should probably figure out if you want an Android or a Windows tablet first. Android apps tend be a little nicer in their specialization, but a Windows tablet will be able to utilize desktop apps (with the caveat that they aren't always meant for use with a touch interface). I can see either kind being recommended depending on what you mean by 'does everything well'.