Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I changed to Short Daiklaive and forgot to update the rest of the sheet.

Also, I see no problem with a compassionate guy cheating backstabbing people he's fighting. He's a pirate: he cheats!

Edit: The level 5 Manse was mostly because that merit is goddamn good (giving a level 4 hearthstone (I chose freedom stone) and demesne for free) and because having a cool secret island base is, well, cool.

Edit edit: I would have gone down with Supernal Sail, but it needs to be a Caste skill and not a Favored one.Which I find stupid, but there you go.

Fair enough. I feel you on the cheating pirate and Island Bases being loving sick.

In that case, I'd consider Supernal Stealth as it's basically both a Combat and Non-Combat ability and goes really well with Ebon Shadow. Blurred Form Style, Hidden Snake Recoil, and False Image Feint are all absolutely ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So my group's putting an Exalted group together, and these are the house rules we're using specifically to eliminate the egregious and insanely stupid problems with rules-as-written chargen. I figured they might be of use toother people.

MERITS: At chargen, you get 10 dots to spend exclusively on story merits like Followers, Backing, etc. You can't buy story merits with BP.

Purchased and Innate merits can only be attained by spending BP, either in chargen or later in play.

BONUS POINT COSTS: Use the table from the book, but with these changes:

-The first three dots of any Ability cost 1bp apiece, whether it's caste, favored, or otherwise.
-Any Essence 1 Charm or Terrestrial Circle spell costs 4bp, whether it's caste, favored, or otherwise.

CHARACTER ADVANCEMENT: There's no such thing as experience points - you advance your character with bonus points. Generally, 1bp = 2xp if you need to convert on the fly for the purpose of some later rule, so the standard per-session BP reward might be 2, 3, 2, 3... (or just 3 if you're feeling generous).

It's possible we missed a spot, but I think this ensures that traits cost the same whenever you buy them and therefore that there's no pressure to buy certain things late or early in order to conserve build points.

It changes the balance on a few things slightly - for instance, with bonus points, bringing a new martial art to 5 dots so that you can buy all its charms only costs the equivalent of 1.2 charms rather than costing the equivalent of 2.25 charms - but, honestly, who cares? Does anyone believe that the prior ratio was actually precisely calibrated? Certainly not me!

In our game, most Purchased and Innate merits, particularly those that basically duplicate D&D feats and just constitute bonuses to specific uses of existing traits (Quickdraw, Strong Back, Toxin Resistance, all of that) don't exist at all and can't be purchased. The "Martial Artist" merit also isn't real - If you want to learn a martial art, you just sink your dots/BP into ability dots for it, same with any other Ability. We made this change for reasons of personal taste, though, so if you're purely concerned with BP parity there's no special reason to follow in our footsteps.

We also aren't letting anyone buy artifact/manse/demesne with their starting story merit dots and deleted the Supernal Ability, but that's similarly irrelevant to purchase timing concerns.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 25, 2015

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I house ruled XP to be static and just gave everyone 50xp instead of 15BP. It gives starting characters more to work with (a personal preference rather than a wider suggestion), and is slightly more work, but I like the granularity of xp more then bp. Still, basically the same
I also house ruled that Strength can be used for attack accuracy and that you get two Supernal abilities (giving +2 essence rather than setting it to 5), only one of which must be Caste.

I'm setting my game around the Dreaming Sea, and I've been writing up a lot more detail for the region. Here's some of the mechanics, merits, artifacts etc. I've written if anyone has any feedback

YSYR
Sorcerous Archetype: Sorcerer-King of Ysyr
You were born and trained on Ysyr, gifted with the power of sorcery and welcomed into their ranks as a Sorcerer-King. Your body is perfectly formed, you may command legions of slaves and lesser thaumaturges according to your whims, and you cloak yourself in Wyld energies. Few may place themselves above you, for your blood is Sorcery itself.
Shaping Rituals:
*Your fingernails are painted with a Wyld-born solution, one for every spell you have mastered, to a maximum of ten. Each fingernail painted in this way grants you a single sorcerous mote per day that can be applied to any spell. Motes applied to your control spell refresh at the end of the scene rather than the day.
*Your slaves worship you alone, granting you exceptional magical power. You may add your Cult rating to all shape sorcery rolls. The first time you cast your control spell per scene, you add your Cult rating in successes rather than dice.
*You have made a pact with the Fair Folk for greater power. Once per scene you may consume one of your Intimacies, gaining sorcerous motes equal to its rating, but reducing its rating by one step. Intimacies weakened in this way recover at a rate of one step per week. Casting your control spell does not count against the once per scene limit
Other Benefits
Perfect Body (Merit ****)
Your body is shaped by sorcery, perfect in every way. You gain two successes on all rolls to resist disease and poison, and your Appearance is treated as one higher when comparing against Resolve. Finally, you become immune to Wyld mutation.
The Lesser Fuel (Merit ****)
You have learned how to divert the cost of Sorcerous Workings onto your lessers. By sacrificing sentient beings and draining their power, you can reduce the xp cost of Workings. For every 50 being sacrificed, you may reduce the xp cost by 1. Each circle above Terrestrial doubles the required number.

PRASAD
Prasadi Code (Merit **)
You display your emotions and station through your clothing in a complex color-language unique to Prasad. Increase your Guile by 1 against anyone without this merit, but decrease your Guile by 1 against those who have it.

Line of the Founders (Merit ***)
Your connection to the Founders is stronger than most, granting you social standing and value in Prasad. You gain a bonus die on all social influence rolls against Prasadi and you are perceived as being higher status. You are considered a good catch for marriage prospects, and a solid foundation for an alliance.

Dragon Helm (Artifact ***)
The twenty Dragon Helms of Prasad are iconic artifacts forged nearly four hundred years ago by the great crafter Ophris Julianus, last of his line. They are each attuned to one of the elemental Aspects, and are carved to resemble the Immaculate Dragon associated with each. When attuned for 5m, each helm has the following two abilities, as well as a set of evocations tied to its element:
*The anima flux of the wearer either doubles in radius, or doubles in damage. Switching between these is a reflexive action that can be performed once per turn.
*The bearer can consume three levels of Anima to launch a decisive attack out to short range, with an attack pool equal to (Perception + [Thrown or Awareness]) and a base damage of Essence + Initiative.

VOLIVAT
Ancestor’s Bulwark (Artifact ***)
This artifact shield is a medium artifact weapon forged from bronze and blessed by the last breath of an ancestor spirit before it passes to lethe, and frequently bears some mark or image of that ancestor. It has the tags “Bashing, Shield, Thrown(Short), Melee”. As long as the bearer wears no armor, they gain Hardness equal to their current Initiative, to a maximum of 7 (5 outside of combat, or in other situations where they have no initiative score). As usual, this does not stack with other sources of Hardness, and does not function during initiative crash. Evocations from this artifact tend to focus on fighting alone, impressive displays of strength, or drawing on the strength of one’s ancestors.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I get houseruling away the BP/XP issue, but is Supernal really that problematic?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
We didn't like the pressure it created to race up a specific tree, play specific castes, or generally make a lasting pronouncement about what you're REALLY good at rather than just PRETTY good at, but I wouldn't call it a real needs-fixed problem with the game, no.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

We didn't like the pressure it created to race up a specific tree, play specific castes, or generally make a lasting pronouncement about what you're REALLY good at rather than just PRETTY good at, but I wouldn't call it a real needs-fixed problem with the game, no.

Yeah, I'd probably just make Supernal Caste or Favored just out of an aesthetic sense. The thing I liked most about Solars is that they didn't have to be shoehorned by their Caste identities.

I mean the greatest frigging Sorceress in 2E was Salina, who was a Zenith. Brigid was just the first, and didn't really contribute all that much to the field.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Bedlamdan posted:

Yeah, I'd probably just make Supernal Caste or Favored just out of an aesthetic sense. The thing I liked most about Solars is that they didn't have to be shoehorned by their Caste identities.

I mean the greatest frigging Sorceress in 2E was Salina, who was a Zenith. Brigid was just the first, and didn't really contribute all that much to the field.

Well, anyone can be equally good at any ability... eventually. And Sorcery can't be bought at hyperspeed with a Supernal Ability anyway. My group was just specifically not fond of the shape it imposed on chargen and the implied behavior patterns with your early XP. I wouldn't frown at the prospect of playing with Supernal Abilities in the same way I would at playing with a BP/XP divide in the year of Luigi 2015.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

I'd go farther and say that I don't like a hypothetical Salina to have to decide, from chargen, that she'll be better at sorcery than anything else she'll do.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ferrinus posted:

I'd go farther and say that I don't like a hypothetical Salina to have to decide, from chargen, that she'll be better at sorcery than anything else she'll do.
Yeah, this is one of the larger and general weaknesses in this game, as guided by the rules: it feels like if you want to have your character figure out what she does in the course of play, with trends but not hard-and-fast rules, you can do that-- but you're probably going to be worse at it, possibly forever, than the person whose character was built from the ground up to be an RWBY character. In a novel this wouldn't be a problem, of course.

Upon reflection, it seems like this trend may have more to do with the feeling of "Solars are weird, hypercapable autists" a fair number of people get, it's because the rules encourage you to be immensely focused on a specific thing from the very start. I wonder how much of this is due to the way the Caste abilities were organized? I never got this feeling in the DB games I played - there were certainly trends but since everything was spread around, it wasn't like the swordsman had to be Fire-aspect, or the Martial Artist had to be Water-aspect.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
I've been thinking about houserules too. So far it's to do away with xp and BP both and do arrays for character creation and give out dots or Charms whole later. Maaaybe leave in solar xp but treat it more like group Beats from nWoD 2.0.

I also didn't like how Supernal warped character progression, but I liked the idea of bumping up effective Essence for the purposes of buying Charms. So instead I was planning on having caste/favored Abilities have Essence+1, while Supernal have Essence+2. Mainly because without xp or BP there's no difference between favored/caste and everything else, and being able to buy deeper in a tree is a great way to show what a character excels in.

I like the idea of multiple lesser Supernal Abilities. And I probably should make them pickable out of any caste/favored, since I never liked being locked down by caste archetypes either.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

My advice to anyone who feels chargen is too constrained without the supernal ability is just to start everyone at Essence 2, just like they did back in 1e and 2e. That opens things up a lot, especially for martial artists - as-is, more than half the published styles don't even let you turn their Forms on before E2.

That said, there are a lot of Essence 1 charms, and making a bog-standard dawn caste swordsman, I haven't felt constrained at all by essence prereqs. Of course, that's because I want Melee, Resistance, Awareness, Brawl...

Nessus posted:

If anything, DBs used to be way more typecast, because your out-of-element charms weren't just available later but actually, materially worse - a fire aspect brawler was paying an extra 1m every turn he used brawl charms. Since they're just going to go crazy and make charms of each element for each ability, that's no longer going to be a problem... and yet...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

If anything, DBs used to be way more typecast, because your out-of-element charms weren't just available later but actually, materially worse - a fire aspect brawler was paying an extra 1m every turn he used brawl charms. Since they're just going to go crazy and make charms of each element for each ability, that's no longer going to be a problem... and yet...
Huh! This looks like a rule we all forgot about, or assumed didn't apply to Favoreds. Evidently for the better. :v:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Maybe each of you had just mastered all five immaculate dragon styles.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nessus posted:

Huh! This looks like a rule we all forgot about, or assumed didn't apply to Favoreds. Evidently for the better. :v:

Yeah, I think that rule was errata'd away eventually during 2.5, but for years DBs were shafted.

EDIT: There was also an Essence 5 charm or something in DotFA that let you qualify as multiple aspects all at once to ignore the surcharge and it was just thematically stupid and mechanically unnecessary.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bedlamdan posted:

Yeah, I think that rule was errata'd away eventually during 2.5, but for years DBs were shafted.

EDIT: There was also an Essence 5 charm or something in DotFA that let you qualify as multiple aspects all at once to ignore the surcharge and it was just thematically stupid and mechanically unnecessary.

I missed that one; I only knew that you lost the surcharge for one element if you mastered a different immaculate dragon style beyond your own... but while you were learning and hadn't mastered it, you got the surcharge for everything, including your natural element, for forcing your Essence to do weird things.

Dragon-Blooded were strange that way.

LimitedReagent
Oct 5, 2008
The rule was even weirder, since it was +1 mote per out-of-element Charm per tick. And it discouraged some things and not others: One extra mote in combat, especially when a Charm might cost 1-3 motes, can be a big deal, while out of combat it's not usually not an issue. And the surcharge mote wasn't committed, so scene-longs suffered little.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
You know, guys... I'm starting to suspect that Exalted 2e was bad. It was bad and not good.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The wrong-element mote surcharge goes back to 1e, although I don't remember which edition it was most punishing in. I actually expect it to return in 3E, given that there will be charms of every element for every ability, and wouldn't mind if it did under those circumstances - it'd give weird DB mystics who truly want to master all the elements something to strive for while not straightforwardly punishing someone who wants to be an air-aspected lancer or whatever.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The obvious answer would be that your favored abilities, or supernals, or whatever, are exempt from that surcharge as a manifestation of the Dragon of (whatever). Water-aspect with Thrown and Stealth? You must be an ICE DRAGON, or whatever SFX you want.

In practice who knows.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Attorney at Funk posted:

You know, guys... I'm starting to suspect that Exalted 2e was bad. It was bad and not good.

It was bad execution wrapped around a mix of good and bad ideas. I don't think anyone ever thought it was a good system.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kenlon posted:

It was bad execution wrapped around a mix of good and bad ideas. I don't think anyone ever thought it was a good system.
Yeah, the most I'll say is "more functional than people sometimes act" and "was not literally composed entirely of poop"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The mote surcharge seems like one of those backwards ideas where you demonstrate the power of Immaculate martial arts by giving Terrestrial Exalted an irritating penalty and letting master Immaculates remove it. Also to encourage specialization or something.

Unfortunately this method never works.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

The mote surcharge seems like one of those backwards ideas where you demonstrate the power of Immaculate martial arts by giving Terrestrial Exalted an irritating penalty and letting master Immaculates remove it. Also to encourage specialization or something.

Unfortunately this method never works.
Well if you simply had to keep the flavor of that: Any aspect where you have your favored abilities is a secondary aspect to your elemental nature, and has no mote surcharge on Charms. This way, at least one aspect's charms definitely would. Credit it to the mingling of the blood of the elemental dragons. This would also provide a way in which the Dragon-blooded have improved, because presumably that would've been the case in the past, and yes your unthawed First Age Dragon-blood, Breeding 5 or whatever though he might have, will not have this advantage. Suck it, purebred.

e: Or you could just drop it because it's stupid, of course, and perhaps just have a flavor note about it. Reward Immaculate grandmasters with expanded Essence pools or something.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Thanks guys, I switched most of my athletic charms for Stealth and now have 5 in MA. Whenver my group actually gets around to testing this game, I've got a character... if we play enar water. :facepalm:

Have the writers said anything about Warstriders? Might we get cool robots without terrible mechanics for once? I really wanna play a Solar with Cybuster.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thanks guys, I switched most of my athletic charms for Stealth and now have 5 in MA. Whenver my group actually gets around to testing this game, I've got a character... if we play enar water. :facepalm:

Have the writers said anything about Warstriders? Might we get cool robots without terrible mechanics for once? I really wanna play a Solar with Cybuster.

The Warstrider book is supposed to be the first supplement after the corebook. I know the Dawn Caste in my gaming group is really looking forward to it.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Judging from what they did for battle groups it'll be the same broad principle we've always had, implemented in a more sharply defined (and balanced?) way.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I can Evocations working really well for Warstriders, now that I think about it. Cool over-the-top attacks.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just start off with a pirate ship. That'll emphatically tell the GM what you're expecting.

Barring that, just check if you can't just apply the charms to blimps or war balloons like the Haslanti have.

MonsieurChoc posted:

They talked up Warstriders a lot, though as usual they never said much about how they're supposed to be implemented :v:. From what was said, it's supposed to enable a lower essence Solar to do things like duke it out with Ligier. They'll be having their own unique Evocations as well.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Attorney at Funk posted:

The Warstrider book is supposed to be the first supplement after the corebook. I know the Dawn Caste in my gaming group is really looking forward to it.

Wait, so, rather than having their first supplement post-core be something really important, like, say, Dragonbloods or Lunars, it's going to be a supplement for one of the things that I've literally never heard anything good about in 2E? One of the things that basically no one, not even the most fanatical Exalted fans I know, was excited about, because the execution of the concept was just so bad? (and the concept itself wasn't exactly too hot, either).

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Wait, so, rather than having their first supplement post-core be something really important, like, say, Dragonbloods or Lunars, it's going to be a supplement for one of the things that I've literally never heard anything good about in 2E? One of the things that basically no one, not even the most fanatical Exalted fans I know, was excited about, because the execution of the concept was just so bad? (and the concept itself wasn't exactly too hot, either).

The Dragonblooded book is the first hardback, but Arms of the Chosen is the first supplement period, assuming they keep to their stated plans.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Attorney at Funk posted:

The Dragonblooded book is the first hardback, but Arms of the Chosen is the first supplement period, assuming they keep to their stated plans.

It's not just the 'Warstrider Book' either so much as a big ol' book of equipment, like Artifacts, Manses, and yes, Warstriders.

For what it's worth it generally follows the same release format that 1E and 2E had, where the corebook came first, then an equipment book (Book of Three Circles 1E/Wonders of the Lost Age 2E), a setting book (Scavenger Sons 1E/COTD: Scavenger Lands 2E) and then Dragonblooded. The main difference is that the first setting book is dealing with the Realm instead of the East in 3E, probably to act as a resource for DB players.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Warstriders always were the major point where Exalted struggled with how honestly to treat the anime influence - I mean sure the rest of the game always had that too, but with warstriders the source material is so blatant. There was always an air in the writing of 'well but these aren't ACTUALLY straight mecha honest look let's add some fiddly stuff to keep our bronze-age gilgamesh cred alive here, these still totally make sense in your non-anime game'

It's another case where a single textblock saying 'warstriders are mecha, if you don't want mecha they never existed in the setting and you can skip this chapter' would have made live so much easier - they could then have gone balls to the wall crazy and focused on how to make mecha combat *good*.

Who knows, maybe that's what they'll do this time.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

xiw posted:

They could then have gone balls to the wall crazy and focused on how to make mecha combat *good*.

Who knows, maybe that's what they'll do this time.

Then you run into having the problem where you basically need to give the whole party one, or you basically run two parallel games.

In videogames you can have areas that Warstriders can't fit. In tabletop, parties will do whatever it takes to burrow a warstider-sized hole into the manse interior.

You are talking to a huge Xenogears fan, so I'm all for ancient fantasy giant robots, but does it work for Exalted and how?

Mile'ionaha fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 26, 2015

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

If I use warstriders in my game, they'll almost certainly be automatons rather than vehicles. Less Mazinger Z and more Talos of Crete. I don't actually have any aspiring Gundam pilots in my group, though, so this entire question is pretty easy for me to resolve.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Warstriders work fine in Exalted, but not when mixed into a group that cannot match them. For instance, if your circle is two solars with warstriders, a lunar capable of turning into a 50 foot behemoth, and a titan sized alchemical, your group can all match your warstriders.

If you hand over a single warstrider to one character, and the rest of them are stuck on foot, then that one person suddenly has more power, or should.

Warstriders are something you choose to include in a campaign when making your campaign, they're not something you just have your player say 'okay, i'm spending 5 dots on getting a royal warstrider, thanks!' They are an aspect that can define a campaign.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
just let everyone pilot the warstrider at once like it's a megazord and use the mechanics from unity of the closed fist

Attorney at Funk posted:

If I use warstriders in my game, they'll almost certainly be automatons rather than vehicles. Less Mazinger Z and more Talos of Crete. I don't actually have any aspiring Gundam pilots in my group, though, so this entire question is pretty easy for me to resolve.

I'm pretty sure they're something right out of Escaflowne, IIRC.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 26, 2015

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."
The 2e Warstrider rules were lazy and not good, which didn't really help things even though I love Warstriders in theory for many Exalted campaigns. I was working on 2.5 Warstrider rules that aimed to have them more as something you use as an equalizer versus armies or behemoths, and less useful/ridiculous in combat versus Exalt-scale enemies. There were also serious problems with ranged-weapon warstriders than fly quickly; They basically can't be fought except by something else like that while being able to destroy anything.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bedlamdan posted:

just let everyone pilot the warstrider at once like it's a megazord and use the mechanics from unity of the closed fist

This is pretty much the best idea, and now I want to play power ranger Exalted.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Bedlamdan posted:

I'm pretty sure they're something right out of Escaflowne, IIRC.

I'm ashamed to admit this in the Exalted thread, but I haven't seen very many animes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Actually, with the current artifact ruels, it's super-easy to do a Sentai/Power Ranger/Super hero character. Jus take an artifact armor, give it cool powers, and take the charm that lets you summon/unsummon your armor. Take a cool pose and scream a cool catchphrase when you summon it.

HENSHIN!

• Locked thread