Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zombie Dragon. If it was a Dracolich it would have actually been intelligent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aww, I liked that Therkla strip. Clever, and sweet.

Shaking lemur butt
Jan 5, 2015

:haw: :v: :ohdear: :cool:
It was a nice comic. Maybe Rich is okay after all... :allears:

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So having started on the latest OOTS book, did they ever give a set reason why Nale hated Malack so much?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Because vampire.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

So having started on the latest OOTS book, did they ever give a set reason why Nale hated Malack so much?

If I remember correctly, Nale wanted to break away from his father's regime because he didn't think leading a handful of countries from behind the scenes was ambitious enough. He thought they could do more. There was a fight between Nale's group and his father's group, during which Nale killed some of Malack's vampire spawns. Thence the animosity.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nale was all and Malak was pretty much Tarquin's best friend so the hatred went to him too

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The way I understood it, it's that Nale has been terrified of Malack since being a baby, him being an undead monster and all.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, Nale always hated Malack, I don't know if the feeling was mutual before Nale killed a bunch of Malack's "children" but it certainly was until they both died.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
It being 'you scared me as a kid' is probably enough, Nale was as shallow as a drying puddle in every aspect of his life.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cornwind Evil posted:

It being 'you scared me as a kid' is probably enough, Nale was as shallow as a drying puddle in every aspect of his life.

Nale:"The Linear Guild is practically synonymous with taking disproportionate revenge over quasi-imagined slights!"

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We know Malack tutored Nale, which is the extent of what we were told of their past before the death of Malack's spawn. I think it's fair to assume that that is where Nale's hatred originates. Whether Nale was just scared of the creepy old snake monster, or Malack was a really harsh and unpleasant tutor is fine to leave to the imagination.

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015
There is a new one. :toot:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I smiled a bit.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That really captures the absolute shrug most players give to masterwork and special metal weapons until one of the very narrow, exceptional cases where they matter comes up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

I smiled a bit.

I smiled quite a bit at MONEY!

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Honestly this is one of my favorite individual comics yet, it's such a classic gag too.

also,
Shortsword! Dagger! Money! *shank*

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 25, 2015

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
In the background of the final panel you can see Haley giving Crystal a raspberry.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hah! Loved 'MONEY!'.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
You know it's bad when Haley literally throws away money.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Now that her dad's free from prison, does she have any more reason to hoard gold?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Now that her dad's free from prison, does she have any more reason to hoard gold?

She likes to.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ultrafilter posted:

Shiny.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really liked this one.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

ultrafilter posted:

She was always like Thief that way:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

D1Sergo posted:

Honestly this is one of my favorite individual comics yet, it's such a classic gag too.

Yeah, I liked it too. How many strips have their even been since the very early days of the comic that work this well as a standalone?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Dolash posted:

That really captures the absolute shrug most players give to masterwork and special metal weapons until one of the very narrow, exceptional cases where they matter comes up.

The special metal stuff isn't even that expensive compared to the utility you get when that circumstance comes up! If you don't have a masterwork version of your primary weapon in Silver, Cold Iron, and Admantine by level 5 you're either a primary spellcaster or DOING IT WRONG. :colbert:

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

jng2058 posted:

The special metal stuff isn't even that expensive compared to the utility you get when that circumstance comes up! If you don't have a masterwork version of your primary weapon in Silver, Cold Iron, and Admantine by level 5 you're either a primary spellcaster or DOING IT WRONG. :colbert:

Primary weapon? Just take all of 'em. Nobody tracks carrying capacity anyway.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Your primary weapon as defined by the one you're Weapon Focused in. So Dwarven Waraxe, say, for a Dwarf Fighter who should have a Cold Iron Waraxe, a Silver Waraxe, and a Admantine Waraxe, one of which should be magical.

If you've got the gold to spend on getting a full metal set for your throwing axes, sure do that, but that's less important than keeping your Belt of Giant Strength, your Armor, Shield, and Cloak of Resistance up to date.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I see we'll be fighting succubi today. Caddy, hand me my #4 cold iron.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Colonel Cool posted:

Precisely. :golfclap:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zoe posted:

Yeah, I liked it too. How many strips have their even been since the very early days of the comic that work this well as a standalone?

Its just a lovely little self contained story as well. We're introduced to two characters we are made to feel sorry for, then the gag is that the protagonists burst into their lives, resolve their problem in two panels, and then run out again. The secondary gag in the final panel also tells us that these guys are going to have a happy ending, which leaves you with a pretty warm feeling in a strip that's gone a long time without a good guy getting a win.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
This is a good strip. :3:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Colonel Cool posted:

I really want to make a character who does, in fact, have an axe caddy, now. A wealthy traveling axe collector who can chop heads with the best of 'em, on a quest with his collection of rare axes in search of more rare axes. The caddy is just a rudimentary construct shaped like a butler who carries all the axes inside a Golf Bag of Holding.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I really want to make a character who does, in fact, have an axe caddy, now. A wealthy traveling axe collector who can chop heads with the best of 'em, on a quest with his collection of rare axes in search of more rare axes. The caddy is just a rudimentary construct shaped like a butler who carries all the axes inside a Golf Bag of Holding.

Leadership is the feat for you. Plus if you are high enough level (IIRC) you can actually have like, a horde of followers

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Bertie "the axe" Wooster and his (much more intelligent) construct Jeeves.
"Blood runs true, eh Jeeves?"

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Actually, there's a game that basically does that. It's called 7 Blades and the main character does in fact have seven various wacky swords, and he has a vassal that follows him around with a giant bag of swords and throws him whatever sword he wants to use.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

If you really want to be prepared, you've got a slashing weapon of every metal, a blunt weapon of every metal, a piercing weapon of every metal, one of each damage type in wood (for Ravenloft Elf Vampires and Rust Monsters), then a Ghost Touch, a Holy, an Unholy, a Lawful, a Chaotic, and one of each Element. And enough feats or levels in Monk to deal with "Resistant to anything that isn't a natural weapon" .

Come to think of it, that would be a pretty fun character to play. I'm thinking a Dwarf with a Gnome as his axe/morningstar/spear caddy. The tricky bit would be getting enough INT and ranks in the right knowledges to make the Monster ID rolls to know which weapon to call for...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alchenar posted:

The secondary gag in the final panel also tells us that these guys are going to have a happy ending, which leaves you with a pretty warm feeling in a strip that's gone a long time without a good guy getting a win.

Happy ending until the wave of snarling nothingness washes over them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

jng2058 posted:

If you really want to be prepared, you've got a slashing weapon of every metal, a blunt weapon of every metal, a piercing weapon of every metal, one of each damage type in wood (for Ravenloft Elf Vampires and Rust Monsters), then a Ghost Touch, a Holy, an Unholy, a Lawful, a Chaotic, and one of each Element. And enough feats or levels in Monk to deal with "Resistant to anything that isn't a natural weapon" .

Come to think of it, that would be a pretty fun character to play. I'm thinking a Dwarf with a Gnome as his axe/morningstar/spear caddy. The tricky bit would be getting enough INT and ranks in the right knowledges to make the Monster ID rolls to know which weapon to call for...
Would probably work as a Ranger. Favored Enemy bonuses and all that. Though Fighter would be what you'd need for the feats. You're right that Monk would be useful, especially if you get enough levels that you can lax on the Blunt and Lawful weapons because you can just kick a motherfucker.