Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Edmond Dantes posted:

I'm heading to NY this week and I want to get a nice lens for my T2i.

I currently have:
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens (the kit lens)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens (The Nifty Fifty).

I love the 50mm, but with the crop frame it's a little too close indoors; I've been toying with the idea of getting a good 35mm and I've narrowed it down to one of these:
Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM
Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM

However, earlier today I was discussing this with a friend and he suggested I just trade in the kit lens and get the Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 as an "all rounder" to replace it.

I'm having a bit of problem making the decision because I haven't really decided on something in particular I want to shoot, I just shoot what strikes my fancy (though I do have a tendency to use shallow DoF for close up pictures), so having a fixed length with a large aperture seemed like a good idea, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Do you ever plan on going full frame? If not, Sigma makes a APS-C version (30mm) of the ART 1.4 which is just as great in build quality but is about half as expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Do you ever plan on going full frame? If not, Sigma makes a APS-C version (30mm) of the ART 1.4 which is just as great in build quality but is about half as expensive.

I'm guessing you mean this one.? I don't plan on changing bodies right now, but eventually I probably will.

Shellman posted:

The 18-35. The Canon 10-18 is an awesome ultra wide though, and goons swear by that tamron.

Ah, thanks.

Huxley posted:

Not to pimp too hard, but if you end up interested in the Tamron I have one up in the buy/sell thread, still. It's a great lens in good shape, I just moved to a smaller setup and don't carry my SLR any more.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=206#post439569261

Cheers mate; it may be complicated since I'll be moving around, but I'll keep it in mind if I go for that one.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Huxley posted:

Not to pimp too hard, but if you end up interested in the Tamron I have one up in the buy/sell thread, still. It's a great lens in good shape, I just moved to a smaller setup and don't carry my SLR any more.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3125105&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=206#post439569261

I'm actually really, really interested in this. But if Edmond Dantes wants first shot at it, it's his.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

suboptimal posted:

I'm actually really, really interested in this. But if Edmond Dantes wants first shot at it, it's his.

Go right ahead, mate. I still haven't really made a decision and it'd be quite complicated to set up a delivery with me hopping across cities.
Just... Just give it a good home.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Thanks man, rest assured that if I do buy it, it will indeed be well loved and only take pictures of great things.

Huxley, I'm going to crunch some numbers and shoot you a PM later on.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

suboptimal posted:

Thanks man, rest assured that if I do buy it, it will indeed be well loved and only take pictures of great things.

Huxley, I'm going to crunch some numbers and shoot you a PM later on.

Sounds good!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buy the Sigma 30 1.4

This is the best advice. SUCH a good lens.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Buy the Sigma 30 1.4

This is the best advice. SUCH a good lens.

The one Whirlwind Jones mentioned? This one?

suboptimal posted:

That's all I needed to know. :v:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I rarely shoot wider than 35mm, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have for landscapes on an upcoming trip.

What are the cheapest, sharpest options wider than 35mm? EF mount, don't care if it's manual focus.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

KinkyJohn posted:

I rarely shoot wider than 35mm, but I'm thinking it would be nice to have for landscapes on an upcoming trip.

What are the cheapest, sharpest options wider than 35mm? EF mount, don't care if it's manual focus.

I have a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 that works pretty well. I think I paid around $250 for it, used. Lightroom's profile correction for it really cleans up the distortion. I like it a lot.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

dakana posted:

I have a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 that works pretty well. I think I paid around $250 for it, used. Lightroom's profile correction for it really cleans up the distortion. I like it a lot.

Also the aforementioned Tamron 17-50 (non-VC version). I've got it and it's very handy as an all round "covers most focal lengths you're likely to want except telephoto" lens. The other bonus that gets you over the 17-35 is f/2.8 throughout the whole range.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

rolleyes posted:

Also the aforementioned Tamron 17-50 (non-VC version). I've got it and it's very handy as an all round "covers most focal lengths you're likely to want except telephoto" lens. The other bonus that gets you over the 17-35 is f/2.8 throughout the whole range.

Huh, just realized; is the non-VC crop-frame only? Both have Canon (APS-C) listed as format, but the non-VC has this on it: WARNING: Not compatible with "full-frame" (35mm size) cameras.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Edmond Dantes posted:

Huh, just realized; is the non-VC crop-frame only? Both have Canon (APS-C) listed as format, but the non-VC has this on it: WARNING: Not compatible with "full-frame" (35mm size) cameras.

Yep, it's crop only. All Tamron's lenses for Canon use the EF (not the EF-S) mount regardless of whether they're crop-sensor lenses or not, presumably for cost reasons.

Edit:
To clarify, both 17-50 versions are crop only as the APS-C designation suggests. Not sure why the non-vc one has an extra warning, that doesn't make much sense.

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 25, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Right. The 17-35 2.8-4 is a full-frame lens.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Who makes a solid and affordable (ha) m43 to EF adapter?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

Haggins posted:

My vote is for the 70-200 2.8 IS II with the Canon 2x III extender. Best of both worlds.

hey throwing back to this real quick, can someone school me on extenders?

there is a difference between these and macro tubes right?

I bought a "macro extender" off ebay for a laugh and yeah it made my macros great but the lens obviously (but not obvious to me at the time) couldnt pull focus on anything distant. The canon 2x extender you mentioned here works differently right? At surface it seems to be basically the same thing.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

maxe posted:

hey throwing back to this real quick, can someone school me on extenders?

there is a difference between these and macro tubes right?

I bought a "macro extender" off ebay for a laugh and yeah it made my macros great but the lens obviously (but not obvious to me at the time) couldnt pull focus on anything distant. The canon 2x extender you mentioned here works differently right? At surface it seems to be basically the same thing.

Yeah, totally different things.

Macro tubes consist of empty space that goes between a lens and the mount. It increases the minimum focusing distance, which allows you to take macro photos.

Extenders contain glass elements in an adapter that sit between the lens and the mount that increases the focal length of a lens.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
coool

cheers

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

iSheep posted:

Who makes a solid and affordable (ha) m43 to EF adapter?

I'm using a Kipon one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEnhMXgL6Vo

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

dakana posted:

I have a Tamron 17-35 2.8-4 that works pretty well

I see it's no longer being manufactured and my used market is a bit limited.

How about the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 or the Samyang 14mm f/2.8? They go for 399 and 319 new respectively. They're supposed to be quite sharp, although you have no electronic contact points, so manual focus only, which is fine by me. Some reviews on B&H are complaining about quality control though...

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're both the same lens.

Samyang also sells under the brands Rokinon, Bower, Walimex, Vivitar, Falcon and god knows what depending on the region. I don't even know what the point of doing that is, but it seems to work out for them.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Combat Pretzel posted:

They're both the same lens.

Samyang also sells under the brands Rokinon, Bower, Walimex, Vivitar, Falcon and god knows what depending on the region. I don't even know what the point of doing that is, but it seems to work out for them.

Old brand names that :corsair: might still remember, or brand names that sound like old photo equipment brands/not foreign. Not that anyone actually cares.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

blowfish posted:

Old brand names that :corsair: might still remember, or brand names that sound like old photo equipment brands/not foreign. Not that anyone actually cares.

Brand perception is very important - There's a reason Toyota rebadged their luxury cars as Lexus when selling in them in the US. No American was going to buy a 40k$ Toyota. Americans will drop 10k on a robot made Rolex, but wouldn't dream of paying 8k for a Grand Seiko that has as much handcraft in it as a 25k Vacheron.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Er sorry, I meant attach M43 lenses to my Canon. I'm interested in the Helios lenses for some video and portrait work.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
m4/3 lenses aren't going to cover your sensor?

Edit: Helios lenses appear to be m42 screw mount, completely unrelated to Micro 4/3. Any dumb adapter will work for these, but be careful since these lenses screw in instead of having a bayonet mount like anything modern does. I've heard stories of people not being able to remove the adapter from the mount (though I've never personally experienced this).

Adapters are cheap so I would just buy one for every lens.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 25, 2015

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Maybe you mean M42 screw mount?

E: beaten

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Right, one more question and I'll leave you guys alone.

How's this Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8? I've been reading and watching reviews of all the lenses we've been discussing these past few pages, and this seems to be a bit of a step up from the Tamron 17-50 non-vc (which I know goons love, but I've been reading some not so stellar reviews).
It's also discounted quite a bit for the next few days, which makes it only 20 bucks more expensive than the Tamron.

Thanks for the patience, guys.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh yes m42... My brain has been slowly betraying me over the past week.

So really any cheapo adapter will work? I've read that even with adapters there are issues that come up like the mirror not having enough clearance, so I was wondering if there are certain adapters that can help me avoid that problem.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
EOS and m42 have a difference in flange distances of about 1.5mm, I'm pretty sure the adapter itself covers that nicely.

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
If you google you find lists like this where people log what lenses are fine on full frame bodies. IIRC it was bigger problem with original 5D, later bodies had smaller mirrors. But don't quote me on that, I don't have full frame :)

theloafingone
Mar 8, 2006
no images are allowed, only text

Edmond Dantes posted:

Right, one more question and I'll leave you guys alone.

How's this Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8? I've been reading and watching reviews of all the lenses we've been discussing these past few pages, and this seems to be a bit of a step up from the Tamron 17-50 non-vc (which I know goons love, but I've been reading some not so stellar reviews).
It's also discounted quite a bit for the next few days, which makes it only 20 bucks more expensive than the Tamron.

Thanks for the patience, guys.

I've owned it and used it on a T3i and it worked fine for me.
It's a good lens in terms of IQ/features but without being able to AFMA it can be hit or miss especially with the older non-global vision lenses.
Sigma can probably adjust it for you if you are willing to send in the body and lens though.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

iSheep posted:

Ugh yes m42... My brain has been slowly betraying me over the past week.

So really any cheapo adapter will work? I've read that even with adapters there are issues that come up like the mirror not having enough clearance, so I was wondering if there are certain adapters that can help me avoid that problem.

get an adapter with a focus confirm chip, makes things much easier.

edit: I have this one, works nicely (that's sold out, but gives the general idea)

next-day-edit: I haven't seen any indication that the mirror would hit the lens, as they don't protrude beyond the adapter (I'm using a 6D and 550D) for any of the lenses I own. The helios lenses - I have 3 of them - have an awesome look.

Note that some adapter/lens combos won't let you focus to infinity, not sure why yet, but I assume poorly made adapters.
The linked adapter focuses to infinity on all my lenses - it also presents itself as a "1-65535mm f/1.4" lens.

dorkanoid fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 26, 2015

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

This is pretty cool. If you bolt a bunch of telephoto lenses together, you can do some serious astronomy:

quote:

The array consists of eight Canon 400 mm f/2.8 L IS II USM telephoto lenses coupled to eight science-grade commercial CCD cameras. The lenses are mounted on a common framework and are co-aligned to image simultaneously the same position on the sky. The system provides an imaging capability equivalent to a 0.4 m aperture f/1.0 refractor with a 2.6 x 1.9 degree field of view.

The present system can accommodate up to 15 lenses with only minor modifcations, and we expect to increase N gradually with time. Even larger systems can be constructed by upgrading the existing mount.
http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.5473

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

quote:

The Dragonfly Telephoto Array is therefore executing a fully-automated multi-year imaging survey of a complete sample of nearby galaxies in order to undertake the first census of ultra-faint substructures in the nearby Universe.
That's bitchin'

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

So, what's the advantage of old lenses + adaptors? Relatively low cost for good quality glass, presumably with the disadvantage of losing things like autofocus?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Certain old lenses just have a unique way they render colors/contrast, bokeh, etc. People talk about "Minolta colors" or the way some Canon FD lenses render black and white because the lens elements have yellowed with age giving you that yellow filter effect but without an actual filter (so its better).

EDIT: and radioactivity

Seamonster fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 27, 2015

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Bubbacub posted:

This is pretty cool. If you bolt a bunch of telephoto lenses together, you can do some serious astronomy:

That is incredible. It's also $84,000 in just lenses.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

dakana posted:

To be fair that's chump change for a physics/astronomy experiment.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah scientific instruments are mostly either cheap and disposable or $stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

dakana posted:

C'mon, I'm sure they rent.