Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I think it'd be cool to do a photobook exchange instead of a print exchange this year.
Smallish photobooks (or big if you want) are cheap enough and we can all use another coffee table book anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

bobmarleysghost posted:

I think it'd be cool to do a photobook exchange instead of a print exchange this year.
Smallish photobooks (or big if you want) are cheap enough and we can all use another coffee table book anyway.

Zine exchange?

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
A "poo poo Posting" book you say?

I'll start.

Untitled by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

Zine exchange?

Yes!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sounds good to me. Somebody make the thread and be sure to put in guidelines for number of photos, number of pages, overall size, hardcover vs. soft, etc.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

quote:

“I’m the world’s most famous photographer, most sought-after photographer, most awarded photographer,” he said one recent afternoon, sipping a can of Red Bull in a conference room at Peter Lik USA, a 100,000-square-foot headquarters in Las Vegas devoted solely to the production and sale of Peter Lik photography.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/business/peter-liks-recipe-for-success-sell-prints-print-money.html?_r=1&referrer=&smid=nytimesphoto

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Much as I want to hate the guy, I can't because he basically has it all figured out. He's not just gaming the system, he's gaming the world. Someday he might come crashing down, but until then he's making crazy bank off of gullible suckers who would never call him out on it.

I've realised the same thing Peter Lik did ages ago. I'm primarily a concert photographer, and I've got lots of photos I've taken that are great, but I wouldn't want them hanging on my walls because they're suitable for a CD cover or show poster, but they're not "elegant" or "tasteful". Decor photos are generally inoffensive with as wide appeal as possible, and that's what he does.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It helps when your customers aren't art snobs too. When you sell stuff that passes the gut check you're going to do okay.

Dude comes off like an rear end but he's kind of earned that privilege.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I really really really want to hate that guy but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't jealous. He's got a hell of a setup.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
So he is basically the Thomas Kinkade of photography?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

quote:

Mr. Lik doesn’t seem to have much interest in art, either, at least art made by other people. He never studied any photographer, let alone took an art class, and seems to take some pride in that fact. He professes no interest in Ansel Adams, perhaps the most famous American landscape photographer and an obvious touchstone to anyone dragging a big camera into a national park.

“Just a nice shot of Yosemite,” Mr. Lik said, summing up Adams’s work. “Right place at the right time.”

This is the attitude of sour-grapes r/photography grognards.

This dude is like MLM applied to photography, the same way Kinkade is MLM applied to painting.

E: V I take it to mean high pressure sales to buy comically overpriced bullshit with little to no resale value, then evangelizing that it's actually A Good Purchase to anyone who will listen.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 25, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm not entirely sure you know what MLM means

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

red19fire posted:

E: V I take it to mean high pressure sales to buy comically overpriced bullshit with little to no resale value, then evangelizing that it's actually A Good Purchase to anyone who will listen.

That's just sales.

MLMs are pyramid schemes that just baarrreeely fall on the legal side of the line. Things like Shakeology, Herbalife, Beach Body, Amway, pretty much every health product you see your friends hashtagging on facebook.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
People want pretty things to hang on their wall, not a picture of carpark/buildings/gas stations, and he provides it in spades with a slick sales pitch.

I think he gets peoples backs up because he makes these claims to being fine-art artist, yet has no interest in the field himself. To me he seems like a very skilled crafts-man capable of making a product that appeals to wide range of people, not an artist. And to be honest I don't think you can make claim to being an artist yourself, thats for other people to decide, you can say you're a photographer who takes photos, but are your photos art? Thats for the viewer to work out.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
It's not art but figuring out how to nail mainstream appeal and market it widely is an artform on it's own.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

He's one hell of a salesman but he will probably never get what he wants, which is to be recognised by the actual fine art photography world, so that he can further legitimise his work and bolster resale value. Further more, most of his super expensive sales are to dodgy private collectors instead of through proper auctions or galleries sales, like Gursky.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

DJExile posted:

That's just sales.

MLMs are pyramid schemes that just baarrreeely fall on the legal side of the line. Things like Shakeology, Herbalife, Beach Body, Amway, pretty much every health product you see your friends hashtagging on facebook.

It's MLM-ish at the very least. There's no pyramid, but there's definitely snake oil.

alkanphel posted:

He's one hell of a salesman but he will probably never get what he wants, which is to be recognised by the actual fine art photography world, so that he can further legitimise his work and bolster resale value. Further more, most of his super expensive sales are to dodgy private collectors instead of through proper auctions or galleries sales, like Gursky.

Look up Dan Nainan, it's the same thing. He's a stand up comedian that gets paid a king's ransom to do the hackiest jokes at corporate events, but gets no respect from other comedians because he's a supremely untalented sellout. Like he once offered Marc Maron $10k to let him be a guest on Marc's WTF Podcast.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Yall saying people just want pretty wall things are missing the main thrust of that article and his biz model, which is to trick people into thinking his poo poo is an investment, when in reality there is no secondary market for it and there never will be.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Yall saying people just want pretty wall things are missing the main thrust of that article and his biz model, which is to trick people into thinking his poo poo is an investment, when in reality there is no secondary market for it and there never will be.

Which suggests he should pursue a partnership with De Beers.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

365 Nog Hogger posted:

, when in reality there is no secondary market for it and there never will be.

I think that's what is keeping him awake at night.

“If you’re in Caesars Palace, you’re no joke,” he said. “That was a huge turning point. I’m in Caesars. I’m God. Nailed it.”

Hahah this guy

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 26, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
He's a shady used car salesmen selling mediocre photos. I can't hate on someone for wanting to make a living but high pressure salesmen are scum of the earth.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

As I was reading the article I had this picture in my head of the scene from wolf of wall street where DiCaprio teaches his sales team how to sell to suckers.

I imagine lik's team all huddled in a smoky room trying to swindle people with tons of money, buy now! Buy now! No lata buy now!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

bobmarleysghost posted:

I imagine lik's team all huddled in a smoky room trying to swindle people with tons of money, buy now! Buy now! No lata buy now!

I think that is the actual reality.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

alkanphel posted:

I think that is the actual reality.

According to the article that is 100% the reality.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
His whole "45 artists proofs" is really shady, all 995 prints are identical, and he wonders why the art world ignores him.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Spedman posted:

His whole "45 artists proofs" is really shady, all 995 prints are identical, and he wonders why the art world ignores him.

Well he's artist proof, or rather art proof so I guess the naming is kind of apt. Well, I guess he could turn out to be gay, increasing the chance that there's some small part of an artist in him, but otherwise ...

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

DJExile posted:

That's just sales.

amway gum loving owns

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

gumchat

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Whitezombi posted:

amway gum loving owns

Nice try, you're not reeling me into that pyramid scheme with just gum.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hahaha at shittalking Ansel Adams. He is absolutely the Thomas Kinkade of photography.

I live in Vegas and one of my friends was in a Peter Lik gallery with her mom a few years ago. I guess one of the sales people came up and said Peter Lik was there and asked if she wanted to meet him. Her mom told the guy she was 16 and he was like "ooops, nevermind."

Welp, that's my Peter Lik story.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Have you guys been caught up in that white/gold black/blue dress crap going on in Facebook. I know this is buzz feedy crap, but what the gently caress.

When I first saw it was gold and white. I had a conversation over dinner about it and I was being smug and said "uhh well the camera doesn't see things the same way as us and it over exposed and it depends on the lighting". In my mind it was gold and white, no question about it. Later on I took another look at it, and what the gently caress it is black and blue. Now every time I look at it, it's black and blue no question.

I guess it's good thing I just happened to buy a colormunki and color checker passport earlier today.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Haggins posted:

Have you guys been caught up in that white/gold black/blue dress crap going on in Facebook. I know this is buzz feedy crap, but what the gently caress.

When I first saw it was gold and white. I had a conversation over dinner about it and I was being smug and said "uhh well the camera doesn't see things the same way as us and it over exposed and it depends on the lighting". In my mind it was gold and white, no question about it. Later on I took another look at it, and what the gently caress it is black and blue. Now every time I look at it, it's black and blue no question.

I guess it's good thing I just happened to buy a colormunki and color checker passport earlier today.

Same happened to me:

Saw it on my desktop in these forums in the morning and it was white

Went to the toilet with my phone, came across it in Twitter and it was blue.
Assumed that it was a colour space issue and being rendered differently on different screen.

Opened up Twitter on the same desktop and it was blue.
Assumed that there was something funky with the file that was causing it to be rendered differently on different hosts.

Come back to the desktop a few hours later and both images are blue.
The change from white to blue is quite dramatic - almost scarily so

I am guessing that it's my eye recalibrating itself from 'just awake' to 'been in the sun all day'

EDIT: only 30mins since this post and it is white again.

spog fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 27, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Been blue everywhere I've seen it, maybe I don't get enough sunlight.

*cracks open another mt. dew and a bag of doritos*

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

spog posted:

I am guessing that it's my eye recalibrating itself from 'just awake' to 'been in the sun all day'

EDIT: only 30mins since this post and it is white again.

Yeah just after I posted, it when white again too. It keeps going back and forth. I heard your color perception changes throughout the day, maybe that has something to do with it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
It's blue and white, always will be always has been and I've never seen it white and gold. I do, however, want to know what it is that's making people say it's white and gold. Can it be exploited to make more photos that trip people up?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably not, as I'm thinking it's a version of the checker shadow illusion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checker_shadow_illusion

Basically it only works if you can control the whole viewing context such as ambient lighting and the background.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

In dim light I see it as blue with black stripes. In bright light I see it as light blue with gold stripes.

Cool optical illusion.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Basement dwelling photographers with color corrected monitors will always see it as blue and black hth

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It changes even on calibrated monitors. More of a brain thing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Haggins posted:

It changes even on calibrated monitors. More of a brain thing I guess.

Yes.

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2015/02/27/whats-going-on-with-thedress/