Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hahaha Kirkman didn't know the Center for Disease Control was a real thing? Hasn't he heard at some point about how the CDC contains smallpox and ebola and all kinds of other nasty poo poo? Has he ever been to Atlanta?? I find it really hard to believe that he did such a spot-on job of utilizing Atlanta in the comics without going there for research or having friends from there or something because I assure you, every one of the 5 million people in Atlanta know about the CDC because it's kind of a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I don't think Rick punching Aaron was something the audience was meant to like, which was an interesting direction to go in.

But then they muddied the narrative with all sorts of stilted bullshit to make punching Aaron seem like the right move. "Mom made me eat applesauce so I'd like girls" was so intensely contrived and poorly written, I wondered if it was bad improv.

They shot all of Aaron's scenes to make him look distrustful, but there was nothing to indicate we were seeing him from Rick's perspective. Instead, we saw this poor actor directed to play "helpful but evasive" which he pulled off about as well as anyone could. It's just a jarring, conflicting mood.

I think writing the character more firmly either way would have been an improvement.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This weeks episode was better than usual. I think the bit about applesauce was the worst. Your life is at stake Aaron don't complain that your mom made you eat applesauce so you would be manly. It didn't work.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I liked it when he punched Aaron out. It demonstrated exactly where Aaron and Rick stood at that moment. It was a way to say to him "I can do what I want to you. I am in charge here," without having to say it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

This weeks episode was better than usual. I think the bit about applesauce was the worst. Your life is at stake Aaron don't complain that your mom made you eat applesauce so you would be manly. It didn't work.

It was character development foreshadowing his gayness. These are tools that intelligent writers use.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Intelligent writers also know when to use them.
"Eat this to prove it's not poison."
"gently caress you, I'm developing my character and foreshadowing!"

Truly brilliant screenwriting. Watch out, Breaking Bad!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah that's my issue. The guy could kill you any time and you think now is great opportunity to refuse because you hate applesauce from being a kid?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think it was poorly done, but you can't underestimate psychological problems. They coulda had a stronger reaction to it than just "momma tried to ungay with applesass" but then you run the risk of making aaron not seem composed and stuff which is what he is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It also raised the question of why the gently caress he packed his number one hated food for lunch. "To prove we have apples." Ok, bring an apple?

They were trying SO HARD to make Aaron this ambiguous, complicated character that they just stumbled around in big-boy writer shoes and accidentally wrote a shifty idiot.

E: Giving him a common food allergy would have actually leant the scene some gravity.

moths fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 25, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He bet his life on Rick not murdering him long before that moment, acting as though he isn't being truly held hostage but is rather a new buddy has been his strategy all along.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Okay, with some sort of mystery going on and some homophobe outrage to look forward to, I am on board again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope they do something where the group actually sticks around in the community for at least a season, rather than doing more wandering. Would at least create a different dynamic.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

People have been so pissed off when the group stays in one place for more than a couple episodes so it's funny seeing the opposite reaction this time for some reason.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure he refused the applesauce not because of being an ***effeminate GaY*** but in a misguided attempt to develop a rapport with Rick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

No, it was to make him seem evasive while building character.

And they even hosed that up. "Mom wanted a tough guy, oops." vs "I've faced down warlords at gunpoint as an international aid worker."

I mean, I already want to like this character because seriously who wears pressed button-downs in zombie days? I assume it's just a combination of the actor and writers not having found their feet yet. The preacher character is in the same boat. Michone took a whole season before they bothered to develop her, and poor T-dog's most interesting stuff came out after he died.

In a way, they're trying to front load Aaron, telling-not-showing us too much up front.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Can we talk about the TWD spinoff here or is there a separate thread because LOLLLLLLLLLL THIS LOOKS BAD

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

No, it was to make him seem evasive while building character.

And they even hosed that up. "Mom wanted a tough guy, oops." vs "I've faced down warlords at gunpoint as an international aid worker."

It would make no sense for a person to either verbalize their anxieties like that, or to provoke tensions with pointless arguments (as showing off is something one should learn to drop when dealing with trigger happy killers), depending on what precisely you meant. It only makes sense to me as a clumsy attempt of a shaken up person who has internalized his role as a diplomat to use his "talent" in an inappropriate situation. But whatever, I guess it can be attributed to poor writing.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 26, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

Intelligent writers also know when to use them.
"Eat this to prove it's not poison."
"gently caress you, I'm developing my character and foreshadowing!"

Truly brilliant screenwriting. Watch out, Breaking Bad!

Now I'm just picturing Saul Goodman selling Rick's crew on coming with, and that would have been a trillion times more entertaining.

He's even used to selling a pitch with guns pointed at him and taking a beating!

warcrimes posted:

Can we talk about the TWD spinoff here or is there a separate thread because LOLLLLLLLLLL THIS LOOKS BAD

Instead of developing a spin-off with a well developed character after the main series had ended, AMC sees dollar signs and produces an unrelated series in the same universe for absolutely no reason. The only way they'd got me wanting to see it happen is if the cast included Lee Everett and company.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 26, 2015

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope they do something where the group actually sticks around in the community for at least a season, rather than doing more wandering. Would at least create a different dynamic.

If the comics are any indicator they're going to be there for pretty much the foreseeable future

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jesus, that spin-off looks loving LOL on every level.

steinrokkan posted:

But whatever, I guess it can be attributed to poor writing.

They're giving the audience (ostensibly through Rick) a reason to question his trustworthiness. The same with how Judith started crying, because television babies and dogs can sense evil.

The problem is that they shoehorned in this ridiculous applesauce story to create tension. They could have had tension emerge naturally: What if the scouting team is delayed past an hour - Will Rick follow through on his threat? What if Aaron were deathly allergic to applesauce

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Choo Choo Here Comes the Applesauce!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Instead of developing a spin-off with a well developed character after the main series had ended, AMC sees dollar signs and produces an unrelated series in the same universe for absolutely no reason. The only way they'd got me wanting to see it happen is if the cast included Lee Everett and company.

My concern is that they are looking to cover the events of the early days of the outbreak. Which is about... three weeks before the events of the current series.

Also, they are going from one warm environment to another, Atlanta to LA. It would have been nice to see something at least Vancouverish.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Nihonniboku posted:

My concern is that they are looking to cover the events of the early days of the outbreak. Which is about... three weeks before the events of the current series.

Also, they are going from one warm environment to another, Atlanta to LA. It would have been nice to see something at least Vancouverish.

I think finding wilderness like in ATL out here in LA would be considerably more difficult. I think it will be interesting to see the sprawl of civilization. Also water is going to be substantially more important in this one.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like Aaron and would like to see him more than most of the people we have now.

And holy poo poo, that spinoff sounds terrible. "Nick you're too old to live with me! You have to move out!" "But what about the zombies?" "You're a big boy!"

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Blazing Ownager posted:

Actually, I don't want any present characters or current time setting. I'd like a new location and fresh faces. One of my favorite things about zombie apoc stories is the initial breakdown as the virus breaks out and spreads. Love seeing the initial panic and disintegration of gov't services as we spiral into total chaos. We didn't get that with TWD and I'd love to spend an entire season going through that process.

My reason for thinking this spinoff is looking bad has more to do with the characters themselves-

You think Coral is bad? How about three Corals?

MOM, HE'S TOUCHING ME!

YOU DON'T GET ME AT ALL, DAD, I WISH MOM WERE HERE!

Also, why would you introduce another character named Andrea? The gently caress is that.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

warcrimes posted:

Actually, I don't want any present characters or current time setting. I'd like a new location and fresh faces. One of my favorite things about zombie apoc stories is the initial breakdown as the virus breaks out and spreads. Love seeing the initial panic and disintegration of gov't services as we spiral into total chaos. We didn't get that with TWD and I'd love to spend an entire season going through that process.

My reason for thinking this spinoff is looking bad has more to do with the characters themselves-

You think Coral is bad? How about three Corals?

MOM, HE'S TOUCHING ME!

YOU DON'T GET ME AT ALL, DAD, I WISH MOM WERE HERE!

Also, why would you introduce another character named Andrea? The gently caress is that.

yep, another Andrea!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The only way this could be worse is if it's presented in found-footage.

On the CW.

e: vvv It's a channel that used to market itself at teens REAL HARD, but they may have backed off since.

moths fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 26, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
CW?

Now I want to see the group encounter Sam and Dean Winchester and find out that they caused of the zombie apocalypse. Awkward!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Cody Cabrera: The angriest kid in town

Can't wait.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I can completely understand the applesauce thing. My folks tried forcing potato salad on me as a child a lot. Eating it makes me physically vomit.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SocketWrench posted:

I can completely understand the applesauce thing. My folks tried forcing potato salad on me as a child a lot. Eating it makes me physically vomit.

With mustard or just mayo?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I love potato salad.

Would you say that, today, you're more or less gay than you were as a child?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I have never drank white milk in my life because the very smell of it makes me want to vomit.

Weirdly enough I have no problem with milkshakes, ice cream, cheese, or even chocolate milk or putting milk in my coffee. Just plain white milk. :iiam:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

I have never drank white milk in my life because the very smell of it makes me want to vomit.

Weirdly enough I have no problem with milkshakes, ice cream, cheese, or even chocolate milk or putting milk in my coffee. Just plain white milk. :iiam:

Yep, I love all other dairy, but hate white milk.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Lycus posted:

Yep, I love all other dairy, but hate white milk.
I wonder what it feels like to be really wrong about milk????

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

If I could afford it and it wouldn't be way too many extra calories, I'd drink a gallon of whole milk every single day, easy.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Pharmaskittle posted:

If I could afford it and it wouldn't be way too many extra calories, I'd drink a gallon of whole milk every single day, easy.

Knew a guy who did this, also ate 12 eggs a day and if you made bbq or any kind of meat he'd ask for all the gristle and fat. Saw him once with a jumbo ziploc eating congealed meat fats like a snack.
He ordered a glass of milk at a local diner and chugged half of it, said it tasted funny and sniffed it and sure enough it was sour, he chugged down the rest.

He was 42 and looked like the well zombie from S2, actually the well zombie looked in batter shape over all now that I think about it.
He had a stroke last year.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah I did this too and I'm actually the closest to a healthy bodyweight of any men I know. :colbert:

The trick is not adding 12 eggs and lard and sour milk on top of it. And not being fat.

(I'd still die instantly during the zombie apocalypse.)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I used to drink white milk with nothing but sugar on it but once when I must have been around 4 or 5 I was putting sugar in my milk and my mother kept warning me "are you crazy, that's too much sugar you're going to ruin it" to which I replied something along the lines "don't be dumb, sugar is great". I still remember distinctly trying to dissolve it all and it just wouldn't it was so saturated.

First sip of milk "oh god what have I done, this is terrible, throw this away and heat me another glass :gonk:". And then she made me drink it all. It was the last time I managed to even sip white milk, good job mom. I'd still drink a gallon of it and ask for more if some nut had me tied down to a chair and threatening to cut my head off if I didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MeLKoR posted:

I used to drink white milk with nothing but sugar on it but once when I must have been around 4 or 5 I was putting sugar in my milk and my mother kept warning me "are you crazy, that's too much sugar you're going to ruin it" to which I replied something along the lines "don't be dumb, sugar is great". I still remember distinctly trying to dissolve it all and it just wouldn't it was so saturated.

First sip of milk "oh god what have I done, this is terrible, throw this away and heat me another glass :gonk:". And then she made me drink it all. It was the last time I managed to even sip white milk, good job mom. I'd still drink a gallon of it and ask for more if some nut had me tied down to a chair and threatening to cut my head off if I didn't.
Keep going down that lane and we'll quickly enter Zombie origin stories I am sure!

• Locked thread