Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nanomashoes posted:

Yes, but what color are Sonics arms?

I am still outraged they changed his eyelids blue.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If someone could mod the first one into Generations that would be great, thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xweLnNHDqbQ

Close enough?

Astro Nut posted:

I really liked the artstyle from Unleashed through to Lost World, at least in terms of how they designed Sonic and Co. Still relatively modern, but decently proportioned. Then again, I loved Unleashed's artstyle in general - the Pixar-esque feel really went well with Sonic, good for action and character moments, but enough to remind you not to take things too seriously and have fun.

Yeah, the art style since Unleashed has been really solid. When the characters look as good as they do in the Colours intro, there's not much that needs to improve.

However, I think Eggman and Knuckles really fit their Boom character designs, mostly because they're the ones whose personalities have changed the most since their first redesign in Adventure.

sharrrk posted:

dimps is bad at making games

In their defence, Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Rush had a lot of really good ideas and gameplay, but like the rest of their games they were brought down by unfair level design. Sonic Advance 1 was a much better attempt at a Sonic 4 than the one they made years later.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Maybe if they spent less time on making cool hubworlds the game they put out would not have been 75% hot loving garbage.

They should have thought of a better way to add more content than just making you play a terrible God of War clone. At least you can download a completed save file, or just use the Unleashed mod in Generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

For Unleashed, I always recommend the Apotos DLC - the Apotos DLC Night Stage Act 1 gives you a game-breaking amount of EXP, so it's great for quickly grinding and getting the werehog's stats up. The levels go by a lot quicker and have a much nicer sense of flow to them when you can pound the enemies into jam in seconds.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the problem with the werehog stages is that they put way too much focus on their bad god of war clone and not enough on the platforming. there's some really good platforming hidden in those levels but it gets completely brought down by the camera never being in your control when you want it to be, and everytime you complete a platforming section you're rewarded with a bunch of enemies who have way more health than they deserve and a wall that won't go away until they are all dead. it's the definition of a game being ruined because the developers were afraid of it being too short instead of just making sure the game they had was good, though i guess they've since learned that lesson so w/e

That loving Sned posted:

I am still outraged they changed his eyelids blue.

his eyelids should have been blue from the beginning

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nah, they were skin-tone for a while. I can't remember when they changed to blue, post SA2 maybe?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

In their defence, Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Rush had a lot of really good ideas and gameplay, but like the rest of their games they were brought down by unfair level design. Sonic Advance 1 was a much better attempt at a Sonic 4 than the one they made years later.

let me rephrase that. dimps hasn't been able to make a good game in a long time now and probably shouldn't be expected to any time soon

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Making Sonic's eyelids blue was the best change to ever happen to this series.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

sharrrk posted:

let me rephrase that. dimps hasn't been able to make a good game in a long time now and probably shouldn't be expected to any time soon

Dragonball Xenoverse.

Now if you mean Dimps hasn't made a good Sonic game in a while, then I'll give you that.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Bee posted:

Dragonball Xenoverse.

Now if you mean Dimps hasn't made a good Sonic game in a while, then I'll give you that.

They also helped with Street Fighter IV.

At least Dimps handled the Sonic series better than Artoon did with the Yoshi series.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i was actually thinking of street fighter 4 and now 5 when i wrote that.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Screaming Idiot posted:

Megaman 9 were bad

ban

As much love as generations gets, I actually really thought that game sucked too and that people were getting caught up in the nostalgia factor. The "Classic" levels suffered from terrible platforming - the stopping and starting felt terrible, and if there were a series of moving platforms it was awkward frustrating as heck to actually traverse the level. Not only that, but the game was full of launch pads that would straight up kill you if you appraoched them at the wrong angle. The series has had ten loving years to fix that problem and they still haven't.

The game did have some fun levels, and was really pretty with great music, but it was still a flawed and irritating chore.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 27, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
HOLY poo poo

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe Sonic was never good

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
You mean Sega has franchises other than Sonic that people give a poo poo about?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Holy poo poo we're bringing Okami into this? AND Viewtiful Joe?? :stare:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Okami and motherfuckin' SKIES OF ARCADIA

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Holy poo poo, Joe, Vyse, Amatarasu. The only way this could be better is if they gave us Ryo Hazuki and Kazuma Kiryu. Where the gently caress is Saga Vs Capcom? Xzone was bad, or something.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Wow, even Nina from breath of fire and Billy hatcher, both sides are just putting every character they have in this. Even got the giant gore magala from the new monster hunter at the top there. I might actually have to read this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This is either a promotion for Sega vs Capcom or taking the crossover thing a bit far

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Is that Firebrand? That's kinda neat.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
We have Clover, but no Platinum? :cmon:

Also, seconding Ryo Hazuki, but only if they make him into the biggest loser possible (I.E. pair him with Dan Hibiki).

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

dpbjinc posted:

We have Clover, but no Platinum? :cmon:

well they have to save something for the sequel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Platinum has exactly 1 kid-friendly franchise and it belongs to Nintendo.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

SKIES OF ARCADIA

Like Shenmue, I was finally okay with SoA being done, but the act of them acknowledging it has re-lit the fanboy pilot light.

sharrrk posted:

the problem with the werehog stages is that they put way too much focus on their bad god of war clone and not enough on the platforming. there's some really good platforming hidden in those levels but it gets completely brought down by the camera never being in your control when you want it to be, and everytime you complete a platforming section you're rewarded with a bunch of enemies who have way more health than they deserve and a wall that won't go away until they are all dead. it's the definition of a game being ruined because the developers were afraid of it being too short instead of just making sure the game they had was good, though i guess they've since learned that lesson so w/e

Definitely agree on a lot of these points. The werehog levels were just way too long. They could have been quick little rests between fast levels, but they were these long, laborious challenges between the much shorter and more fun day levels. I remember finally quitting furiously after a particularly bad one, and found out that I needed more of those emblems to unlock the next day stage. Generations had a nice way of getting time out my play because the main campaign was of a decent length and solid, with lots of extras unlocked by playing the levels in different challenges. That, and S rankings didn't require an autistic amount of devotion like some games, so for once I cared about getting highest rankings in all the levels.

I haven't tried Colors or Lost World, but they look pretty fun.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 28, 2015

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Platinum has exactly 1 kid-friendly franchise and it belongs to Nintendo.

Don't ruin the dream of being able to see more Vanquish. If there's God Hand too, I might cry.

Besides, it's about a guy in armour with a transforming gun who fights robots in space. Sounds like a perfect fit for a comic with Mega Man.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Plan Z posted:

I haven't tried Colors or Lost World, but they look pretty fun.

Colours is legit great, get on that right now.

I'm definitely more forgiving of the Werehog than others, but I quite like levels in games that are enormous slogs, in a perverse sort of way. I love the satisfaction of finally being done with it, so the sheer tedium is sort of a prerequisite for that. I love Eggmanland for that reason too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure Sonic 3 and Knuckles is still good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sonic 1 through S&K are all good and it's a shame they stopped making Sonic games after 1994.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Sonic 1 through S&K are all good and it's a shame they stopped making Sonic games after 1994.

Sonic Advance and Heros are legit good games.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I like Heroes but it is not.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Sonic Generations is pretty and parts of it remind me of good Sonic games. Playing Generations is like covering yourself in a warm Sonic blanket and sitting on the carpet eating Sonic Spaghetti-O's and playing Sonic 2. Until you play the level based on Sonic '06 and then horrible reality sets in.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Sonic Generations is pretty and parts of it remind me of good Sonic games. Playing Generations is like covering yourself in a warm Sonic blanket and sitting on the carpet eating Sonic Spaghetti-O's and playing Sonic 2. Until you play the level based on Sonic '06 and then horrible reality sets in.
I thought the Sonic '06 levels in Generations was pretty decent since that game just reuses the theme of the old levels and not the design. The Sonic Colors levels, now those were poo poo. Both were overly long and bogged down by terrible gimmicks. Colors itself had much better level design.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

crisis city is one of my favorite levels in generations. both classic and modern versions are really fun

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I thought the Sonic '06 levels in Generations was pretty decent since that game just reuses the theme of the old levels and not the design. The Sonic Colors levels, now those were poo poo. Both were overly long and bogged down by terrible gimmicks. Colors itself had much better level design.

i still don't understand how they forgot how to use color powers well after one game

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

J-Spot posted:

Yeah, I saw a few Sonic Colors levels in playthrough videos and a lot of them looked really fun, so I was disappointed that what we got in Generations was so bad. And that game was made by the same team, so is Planet Wisp a stage they're really proud of or something?

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I saw a few Sonic Colors levels in playthrough videos and a lot of them looked really fun, so I was disappointed that what we got in Generations was so bad. And that game was made by the same team, so is Planet Wisp a stage they're really proud of or something?

Well, I'm sure that part of it is the expectation that levels near the end of the game (in Planet Wisp's case, the *last* level) are going to be harder than those near the beginning, though I do agree that they went pretty overboard in terms of both difficulty and length.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

sharrrk posted:

crisis city is one of my favorite levels in generations. both classic and modern versions are really fun

The music in the modern version is one of the best tracks in the game. If they hadn't had the stages in chronological order, it would've been a great final stage.

Rooftop Run Classic is also a great remix. It's hard to find any I don't like, but those two stages in particular are great.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

who s the dragon in the top right of that comic image?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's the dragon from Panzer Dragoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Level Slide posted:

remember that time sonic and tails thought it would be brilliant to take on a heavily armed flying fortress using only a biplane?

because I do.

• Locked thread