Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Powershift posted:

Sorry to interrupt bike chat with terrible car stuff, but here's some terrible car stuff.

Eh, I really have no problem with these three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, I really have no problem with these three.

Number one bothers me the most just because it looks like their was some time spend and even an autozone toggle switch would be it 100x better.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Can't seem to find the pasti dip thread and this doesn't quite qualify as a mechanical failure

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=46272.0

Guy removes the plasti dip, aaaaaaaaaaand a bunch of clear coat

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

neckbeard posted:

Can't seem to find the pasti dip thread and this doesn't quite qualify as a mechanical failure

Car looks better now then when it was plastidipped.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

What did he use to start the peel, a cheese grater?

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Guess we know who made these now...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

neckbeard posted:

I guess this is an issue on new and recently painted cars. There was a guy who dipped a brand new Audi on the DYC forums and when he went to peel it the clear was wrecked.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

VWVORTEX.JPG

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's a vortex of something, anyway.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Well hey, there's a problem you can solve real quick with just a twist of your wrist!

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
had to steal this as i can't grab my own pics while driving, but i've been seeing this around a lot lately.

fake Audi-ish stick on LEDs.

saw them on a decade-old Nissan Sentra the other day. needless to say it looks hilariously bad.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Oh god, jorts

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

angryhampster posted:

VWVORTEX.JPG

This makes me feel good about not having my Sportwagen anymore.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Iridium posted:

had to steal this as i can't grab my own pics while driving, but i've been seeing this around a lot lately.

fake Audi-ish stick on LEDs.

saw them on a decade-old Nissan Sentra the other day. needless to say it looks hilariously bad.

There's a grotty Volkswagen t35 I see most mornings that has a literal light rope stapled across the grill, bumper and headlights, it's retarded, teetering on the edge of awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I like the idea of DRLs but in practice lines of cheap LEDs put me off. Manufacturers really need to start putting diffusers on them because the look like poop.

Anyway, I laughed when I saw this. There's discussion of Japanese car people not giving a gently caress about their vehicles and we all know there are some people who really don't and I think this dude is one of them hence the badly hacked arches aaaaaaaaaaaaand...

Wait, what?

Oh Japan. :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

88h88 posted:

I like the idea of DRLs but in practice lines of cheap LEDs put me off. Manufacturers really need to start putting diffusers on them because the look like poop.
Especially on film, the new vette and porsche Top Gear reviewed this week looked like poo poo because of the led flicker.

I wonder how hollywood fixes that. Custom lamps, or fix it in post?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You could probably get around it by adjusting the shutter speed of the camera.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

angryhampster posted:

VWVORTEX.JPG

Pretty accurate description.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

xzzy posted:

Especially on film, the new vette and porsche Top Gear reviewed this week looked like poo poo because of the led flicker.

I wonder how hollywood fixes that. Custom lamps, or fix it in post?

Different frame rate for tv and movie recordings

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

MrYenko posted:

What's wrong with center exhausts?

Where the heck is the intake? The cabin?

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

nitrogen posted:

Where the heck is the intake? The cabin?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Had a yellow Scion pass me on the highway today. Luckily my passenger had a camera.

Yes, that is a Scion xB that's been cut to be a pickup truck. It looked like someone took a sawzall and a tub of bondo over a three hour span and did the whole job. After the picture he promptly cut off the truck on his left and took off down the highway.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Perfect trash disposal system.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Had a yellow Scion pass me on the highway today. Luckily my passenger had a camera.

Yes, that is a Scion xB that's been cut to be a pickup truck. It looked like someone took a sawzall and a tub of bondo over a three hour span and did the whole job. After the picture he promptly cut off the truck on his left and took off down the highway.

I would drive the poo poo out of a pickup that size, if it was structurally sound.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

88h88 posted:

Anyway, I laughed when I saw this. There's discussion of Japanese car people not giving a gently caress about their vehicles and we all know there are some people who really don't and I think this dude is one of them hence the badly hacked arches aaaaaaaaaaaaand...

Wait, what?

I think this cage manages to beat that Supra with the green cage that was rolling around a while back.

fake edit:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

One, that girl is cute as gently caress. Two, I unironically love those headlights :allears:

Actually, minus the cage i'm digging that Supra. Those flares + that fitment :h:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

This. This is High Art. A shining beacon highlighting the justification for our self-propelled extinction.

edit: could this be a thing where the vehicle has been written off and had the seatbelts cut so no one is tempted to pass it through an inspection? And then, people being people, they got "repaired" and passed anyway?

Memento fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 27, 2015

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

T1g4h posted:

One, that girl is cute as gently caress. Two, I unironically love those headlights :allears:

Actually, minus the cage i'm digging that Supra. Those flares + that fitment :h:

Yeah I mean I'd like it without the cage (and the stupid spikes sticking out of the flares), but even given my rather lax safety history I don't think I'd want to ever sit in the passenger's seat.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Crotch Fruit posted:

I would drive the poo poo out of a pickup that size, if it was structurally sound.

It was definitely not that. I'm pretty sure it was a back yard hackjob.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It was definitely not that. I'm pretty sure it was a back yard hackjob.

While chances are it was a backyard hackjob, they did make a "truck" version of the Toyota bB called the Open Deck.

I kinda want one. I have a strange love for those boxes on wheels.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen a couple of those running around, here. One was a company vehicle for some kind of engineering service and all their tools etc were stacked vertically in the tray like cutlery in a dishwasher rack.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Negromancer posted:

While chances are it was a backyard hackjob, they did make a "truck" version of the Toyota bB called the Open Deck.

Yeah, no chances are. They had definitely sawzalled an xB. I'd never heard of that car you posted. Interesting.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well now I know what car I want next. That Open Deck owns. If only...

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Negromancer posted:

A tail gate AND a split rear door? What a time to be alive.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

88h88 posted:

wow that cage - they didn't even bother welding all around the X joint in the middle of the windshield

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Giblet Plus! posted:

wow that cage - they didn't even bother welding all around the X joint in the middle of the windshield

Please tell me that's cyclone fencing or possibly water pipe.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Memento posted:

edit: could this be a thing where the vehicle has been written off and had the seatbelts cut so no one is tempted to pass it through an inspection? And then, people being people, they got "repaired" and passed anyway?

Is that a thing? Couldn't someone just spend a little bit of money on new seatbelts and call it good?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

Is that a thing? Couldn't someone just spend a little bit of money on new seatbelts and call it good?

Ahahahaha.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I mean, relative to the cost of a salvage vs non-salvage automobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hell, even used belts out of something that hasn't been crashed would likely be fine.