Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Dr.Smasher posted:

I know, it's a Gawker site, but prepare to have your eyes raped by a trend in Bolivia

Even more nightmare fuel from io9

pretty sure this is canon for the interrior of an eldar spaceship

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 25, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Brinny-chan posted:

This is the new library in Halifax, Nova Scotia:

I can't decide how I feel about it. I like it initially, and in a city with very little modern architecture it certainly is eye-catching. But the more I look at the top piece, the more it looks like a giant glass shipping container was just slapped on there. :confused:

E: Retarded phone poster, image fixed.

I imagine they have some sort of super effective UV blocking glass or something nowadays, but still. That can't be good for the books.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Awesome, just spent a tonne of money making this extremely expensive novelty house. How can I get these wires into the house in a way that won't ruin the look... oh gently caress it, just string them up everywhere!

If I ever win the lottery this is what I want to build

Wowbagger2004 posted:

In Birmingham UK, there was a Victorian Library that looked like this:

So naturally that had to be replaced with this:

But that has to be replaced with yet another shopping mall so they put this up:

It was extremely expensive to build the new one and not long after opening the council crushed the opening hours and fired half the staff they employed to run it because they couldn't afford it.

Jesus Christ what is wrong with people :barf:

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

Skutter posted:

This if the "front", street-facing part of the museum

for a second I thought my video card was overheating

e: f, b

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I actually think all of the birmingham libraries look like cool and good buildings.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I actually think all of the birmingham libraries look like cool and good buildings.

You may have a brain tumor :ohdear:

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

DamnCanadian posted:

I grew up in Toronto, and I think City Hall owns. I don't understand, though, how it could get so hot in the summer, since the glass-window side faces north, and is never in direct sunlight?

The window side faces south.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Arian_Samurai posted:

The Asahi Brewery headquarters is shaped like a giant glass of beer. I don't know what deal with the giant golden sperm is though.

Do they jack off into the beer? Is that what they are saying????

I took a picture of that when I was passing by it and have asked everyone who I've shown it to what they think it's supposed to be. Nobody knows. :iiam:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Cool old municipal building.

Oh wait, let's take such bad care of it that it's torn down after only 60 years and replaced with mediocre junk a few blocks away.

And then when they need to build a new police station, make bland junk "inspired" by the original building. I mean, it's basically the same design, right? Right?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

You may have a brain tumor :ohdear:

The interior of the new one is pretty rad. I mean, there's not THAT many books but when you get up the elevator to the third floor there are some!!!!!! I don't dislike the exterior. It's also got quite a nice terrace garden thingy.

I'm just mad they are demolishing the lovely bit of Brutalism and not doing something cool with it. What is replacing it is dead boring. Anyway have some crappy cameraphone pics of the new library.

Hey look you can see some books

It lights up pretty nice (so sorry about the quality of these omg)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:psyduck:

Your post keeps saying that it's good, but every picture makes it look even worse

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The Cincinnati Library then:

And now:

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
That escalator with the blue lights gives the distinct impression you are entering a Saturn shop to buy some discount consumer electronics.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Paddyb posted:

And now:

Did they convert it to a 1980s mall? :stare:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Paddyb posted:

And now:

:psypop:

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
i think that birmingham public library is pretty cool guise, i dunno :shrug:
now these - these are both crap

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Since we're talking about questionable redevelopment in Birmingham, let's take a look at New Street train station.

There was once a big airy space

But someone said "hmmmm let's bury that in concrete and put a shopping mall on top of it..."

"...The roof should be low and black and there should be no natural light. Diesel fumes from idling locomotives should should stay inside choking people..."

"...And the signal box should look as awful as possible."

This has been pretty terrible for a long time but no fear: they're leaving the same dark cramped concrete building but putting a shiny cladding all over it:

As you can see, this seamlessly integrates with the existing structure:

This is mostly done but just you wait: yet another shopping centre is going to built on top of that, supposedly eventually looking like this:

Jesus gently caress

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

:psyduck:

Your post keeps saying that it's good, but every picture makes it look even worse

IDK maybe you have to go and see it in person. Those pictures were from a particularly bleak day.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, those railings are not up to modern standards. Like 2.5 feet tall.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Paddyb posted:

If they didn't use endless belt manlifts or at least paternosters to get from level to level, I'll be disappointed.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Did they convert it to a 1980s mall? :stare:

Looks like they tore the original one down because it was beyond capacity for books and had ventilation problems and built a soulless pile of bricks as a replacement. :smith: That old library was cool as gently caress and I'd hang out there all the time if it was still there and I lived in Cincinnati. Current building? I'd go get the books I needed and then leave because gently caress hanging out in sad, ugly buildings longer than you have to.

I need to stop reading this thread because all it does is make me sad and angry.

When I was little, I wanted to be an architect when I grew up, but I had the idea that architects were all like Julia Morgan and I'd be able to design epic Beaux-Arts castles with impunity and get paid for it. Naturally, my dreams were shattered when it dawned on me that present-day architects just glued a bunch of shapes together in a weird, asymmetrical ugly mass, scaled it up, and called it a building. And that William Randolph Hearst wasn't around anymore to commission epic Beaux-Arts castles.

Also all you Britgoons are ruining my dumb-American mental image of Britain being all old-timey and not having to worry about losing cool historical buildings to the cancer of lovely "progressive" development.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know any architects, but is there an attitude of contempt amongst them for "classic" designs?

"Arches, pillars, and stone? JFC, that's disgusting :rolleyes: Where is the large rectangle with other rectangles in it?"

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I don't know any architects, but is there an attitude of contempt amongst them for "classic" designs?

"Arches, pillars, and stone? JFC, that's disgusting :rolleyes: Where is the large rectangle with other rectangles in it?"

Yes, there is a current style called New Classical.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Classical_architecture

Here's an example from 2006:

Remember that most of what we consider "classic" architecture is actually neoclassical that was aping the Greeks and Romans.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Am I some sort of bad person for thinking that's a perfectly good and timeless exterior for a concert hall?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Philly Art Museum went nuts with the neoclassical thing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Computer viking posted:

Am I some sort of bad person for thinking that's a perfectly good and timeless exterior for a concert hall?
Of course not. It's exactly that.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It does tend to be rather expensive to use the correct materials, and substituting can lead to awful results.

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 2 years!)

smackfu posted:

Remember that most of what we consider "classic" architecture is actually neoclassical that was aping the Greeks and Romans.

hey that's here in Nashville.

the acoustics a amazing there. aside from a few buildings, nashville has some okay architecture.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

smackfu posted:

tsk tsk tsk, a wasted opportunity for a condo building... maybe in a few years

BUt yeah thanks for the post :hfive:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

from that wiki link

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Dr.Smasher posted:

I know, it's a Gawker site, but prepare to have your eyes raped by a trend in Bolivia

Even more nightmare fuel from io9

cool as hell, at least they're trying something different

not even that expensive i could almost afford to live in a crazy fluorescent house

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I don't know a single thing about architecture but the tops of those columns remind me of that overdone anime thing where something cut in half diagonally with a sword sloooowly slides off its bottom half.

I guess I'm trying to say it looks very strange and not good. It's probably just the perspective of the camera making it look that way, though v:shobon:v

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

0haiThere posted:

I think the architect may have been having some video driver problems

This looks like something designed to keep earthlings 10,000 in the future away from our nuclear waste dumping grounds.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

nomadologique posted:

lol the "hip new thing" of mondrian-inspired rectangles of prisma color plastic

there was so much potential in this trend, but everywhere i've seen it's been badly realized, and we are going to regret it more and more with the coming decades

there is no uglier architectural feature than pastel rectangles

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That looks like a somewhat blander version of the Helsinki railway station.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Anatharon posted:

I took a picture of that when I was passing by it and have asked everyone who I've shown it to what they think it's supposed to be. Nobody knows. :iiam:

Isn't it steam coming off a cup of coffee? but the steam is gold for some reason

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Elukka posted:

That looks like a somewhat blander version of the Helsinki railway station.

Which is incidentally a really neat building, right down to the lantern carrier men at the front entrance.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Oral Roberts University is one of those weird places I can't decide if I hate or love its design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

smackfu posted:

It does tend to be rather expensive to use the correct materials, and substituting can lead to awful results.

Though probably still less expensive than Frank Gehry's $110 million dollar parking garage for Disney Concert Hall.

But yeah, any sort of traditional/revivalist building where they've cheaped out on materials looks pretty bad. What I think is worse, though, is when they don't get the geometry and proportions quite right - it's like this uncanny valley for buildings, like it's supposed to look like it's been around for 200 years when you know it hasn't because there's just something OFF about the whole thing, and no amount of hand-carved marble detailing can make it right. I figure that if you can't even figure out how to get the drat proportions right, don't even try. You can fix finishes and windows and stuff, but you can't fix lovely proportions.

That new classical concert hall is super nice, and I'm glad they decided to spend money on good solid stonework for a lovely timeless building instead of, say, individually manufacturing, bending, and sizing thousands of unique pieces of stainless steel cladding to exacting specifications so they can fit properly over the arbitrarily warped facade of Gehry's latest bizarro ego trip.

I'm also sure that by choosing to utilize practical right angles and standard-issue modular I-beams, fittings, tooling, and stone blocks and stuff, they can save on costs by not having to individually modify every single loving piece of construction material to make it adhere to a million different arbitrary angles and curves. You also don't have to waste money inventing outlandish new engineering solutions to ensure the loving thing remains standing.

So yeah, with new classical buildings, I'd hope that by going with tried-and-true layout and structure, they make construction easier and cheaper and can then splurge on nicer materials, finishes, and detail work. Actually, a large portion of my hatred for zany starchitecture bullshit is that regardless of how these buildings look (and yes, many are pretty cool-looking), getting them built is a stupidly, unjustifiably expensive, ridiculous process. And then you can run up costs maintaining them and their weird custom fixtures and awkward angles and excessive heating/cooling costs due to glass in weird places and not enough insulation or whatever the gently caress. I think it's quite possible to create awesome buildings that don't require enhanced alien technology to put together. I'm a pragmatist when it comes to architecture, so gently caress trying to reach new heights of engineering and architecture for the sake of reaching new heights in engineering in architecture, just build a nice building that loving works, won't put the city in crippling debt for a hundred years, and won't polarize the population over whether it's the next step in human ingenuity or a big hideous eyesore. If you really need something to polarize the local opinion, just get some big hunks of stupid public art.

• Locked thread