Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I don't see how urgent quests are supposed to feel like a milestone when you have to repeat the exact same thing 4 times in a row. The group I'm playing with dreads getting to each urgent because they're always a slog that breaks the pacing and variety of the rest of the game.

deadly_pudding posted:

Seltas Queen is a big weird crab thing, and I laughed out loud when she grabbed her little Seltas buddy out of the air during the intro cutscene and they combined to form a big, gross Voltron.

I think you mean like a gross Gurren Lagann. (You even make drills out of its parts!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fungah! posted:

not nearly as bad as lao-shan

The worst part of Ceadeus was the boring trip to the big room and you really only had to do that once.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Been playing this game ~a lot~ over the last week. I played a handful of FU and 3U but neither grabbed me as hard as 4U has.

Random thoughts now that I'm caught up on the thread:

- Great Sword is the best weapon. I made myself a full Diablos set towards the end of LR and gemmed it up so I was running with Crit Draw, Fast Sheath, and Focus and it rules so hard. Focus especially was a real gamechanger, letting me smash poo poo with level 3 charges with much smaller openings.

- Seregios is a really cool fight. Probably my favorite in the game so far.

- I used to think Rathian/alos were the worst monsters in the game but then I had to farm Molten Tigrex to upgrade my Seregios GS. Never have I been comboed to death from full health more often than during that garbage fight. Get hit once with an attack that puts the blast debuff on you -> that ridiculous spin like a top attack he does -> dead. I got him though. Only took 3 kills to get the pieces I need.

- Speaking of which, the Seregios GS is awesome. I haven't used a single whetstone since I built it.

e: Also, learning how to climb a wall without sheathing your weapon first is really, really useful in a few fights. Dodge at the wall, hit a to start climbing even with your weapon out, hit a again to immediately jump away, air attack, repeat. Makes mounting a lot easier.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 25, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Potsticker posted:

The worst part of Ceadeus was the boring trip to the big room and you really only had to do that once.

the part in the big room's not great either. but yeah, you had to do the long walk every single loving lao shan fight, and then the courtyard portion's insanely boring. i'm so god-drat glad we haven't seen lao-shan in two gens

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Lao-shan Lung looks super cool and awesome but yes, his fight and shen gaoren's fight were awful snoozefests.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Crowbear posted:

Been playing this game ~a lot~ over the last week. I played a handful of FU and 3U but neither grabbed me as hard as 4U has.

Random thoughts now that I'm caught up on the thread:

- Great Sword is the best weapon. I made myself a full Diablos set towards the end of LR and gemmed it up so I was running with Crit Draw, Fast Sheath, and Focus and it rules so hard. Focus especially was a real gamechanger, letting me smash poo poo with level 3 charges with much smaller openings.

- Seregios is a really cool fight. Probably my favorite in the game so far.

- I used to think Rathian/alos were the worst monsters in the game but then I had to farm Molten Tigrex to upgrade my Seregios GS. Never have I been comboed to death from full health more often than during that garbage fight. Get hit once with an attack that puts the blast debuff on you -> that ridiculous spin like a top attack he does -> dead. I got him though. Only took 3 kills to get the pieces I need.

- Speaking of which, the Seregios GS is awesome. I haven't used a single whetstone since I built it.

e: Also, learning how to climb a wall without sheathing your weapon first is really, really useful in a few fights. Dodge at the wall, hit a to start climbing even with your weapon out, hit a again to immediately jump away, air attack, repeat. Makes mounting a lot easier.

What is the difference between LR and HR diablos armor? Like if I get LR armor and upgrade it all the way is it just as good or just worse armor wise?

DoctorX
Dec 11, 2013

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What is the difference between LR and HR diablos armor? Like if I get LR armor and upgrade it all the way is it just as good or just worse armor wise?

It will have lower defense but slightly different skills. HR armor usually have at least 1 negative skill but better positive ones iirc.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Fungah! posted:

not nearly as bad as lao-shan

this x200

All of the newer huge monster fights are WAY more interesting than the old ones. Even fatalis and akantor etc. I will take mohran or dalamadur (i love dalamadur) over shen gaoren or lao shan any day

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Man I want to learn GS now but I don't want to craft a third weapon type.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Is there a way i can aim my kinsect at upward or downward angles? I found i had a devil of a time fighting monster on steady inclines or declines because the kinsect defaults to aiming ahead.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Of course, the big difference is that HR Diablos armour doesn't exist. :cheeky:

(There's only LR and G versions of the Diablos gear.)

But yeah, there's a pretty huge difference in defence between LR/HR/G armour, for the most part. Also, G armour tends to look different to LR/HR.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I need more armors to have full paint jobs, I'm really bummed that the only thing that changes color on this Khezu Helm is the tiny little coat of arms on the side.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Reposting this as a reminder for anyone with the downloaded version of the game- don't let your 3DS brick. Downloaded games have their save data encrypted to a key unique to that installation of the 3DS firmware and if you lose functionality without transferring it, your hundreds of hunting hours are gone for good. Some people have learned this the hard way when they back up the SD card to a PC and then do something to the 3DS for whatever reason, the backup won't work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turtlicious posted:

Should I be upgrading my weapon after every key quest? Like grinding for it? When do you know to stop grinding?

This question doesn't really make sense to me. Its not like your weapon is going to upgrade every quest.

Lets say you have the rathian SA, maybe there's one upgrade you can do from grinding but the next upgrade requires rathian+ which is something you're not going to see for awhile. Then once you get that one the next level requires G rank rathian so once again, its not like you even have the option to grind. That's not something you can do.

You should get all the mats you need to craft weapons after one or two hunts anyways, its not like you have to grind period. Grinding is for full armor sets, which do take awhile, which is why you find a set that gives you the stats you need and then you hold onto it until you can't use it anymore because its too low level and weak.

Weapons though yes you should constantly be crafting. A single weapon won't be able to upgrade for a long time, but I personally craft every separate weapon tree of the weapon style I favor as I go. I usually have enough mats from doing the key quests anyways.

In general a weapon's "rarity" will tell you generally how strong it is. Most of the weapons you craft from a certain rank are going to be of the same rarity and overall about the same effectiveness. I craft one of every weapon so I can swap around to use the best element for the boss I'm up against, but its not really necessary.

Triarii posted:

I don't see how urgent quests are supposed to feel like a milestone when you have to repeat the exact same thing 4 times in a row. The group I'm playing with dreads getting to each urgent because they're always a slog that breaks the pacing and variety of the rest of the game.

You have to do the same thing in Dark Souls and it kinda sucks but you just kinda get used to it and accept it.

Urgents aren't supposed to be a milestone; they're a skillcheck. They're a challenge you have to pass to get to the next level.

That said they really should just give everybody credit for the quest, its not like you can't powerlevel people because they have to be the host or something, just makes it take longer. It does create a negative online environment though where people hop in and get their kill and then leave, so everybody only wants to host the quest and nobody wants to help anybody out. :doh:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 25, 2015

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

As someone mentioned there isn't a HR diablos set, just the LR one and the X set which takes G rank parts to make.

The regular set and the X set seem pretty comparable just looking over their stats. Skills are mostly the same (X has 2 more points in fencing and 2 more sockets which is nice, and 7 points in stam recovery which seems meh to me). The max armor values on both sets seem pretty much comparable, like within 2 armor per piece (125 per piece for LR, 127 per piece for G). So it seems like the LR set would be fine for a long time.

I think I'm almost at the points where I can fight G rank Diablos so I'll probably farm up the X set and see for myself if it's that much better, but I've been using the LR set up through Caravan 10 and Guild 7 and it's been fine.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 25, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sard posted:

Reposting this as a reminder for anyone with the downloaded version of the game- don't let your 3DS brick. Downloaded games have their save data encrypted to a key unique to that installation of the 3DS firmware and if you lose functionality without transferring it, your hundreds of hunting hours are gone for good. Some people have learned this the hard way when they back up the SD card to a PC and then do something to the 3DS for whatever reason, the backup won't work.

The memories will always remain.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I had to capture about 20 azure raths last night to get 2 rubies so idk why people are complaining about having to repeat an urgent a whole 4 times.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

tower of druaga posted:

I had to capture about 20 azure raths last night to get 2 rubies so idk why people are complaining about having to repeat an urgent a whole 4 times.

I did an expidition quest (I am not sure of all the terms here) and afterwards, when I finished, it said TWO guild quests for velociprey had popped up. I then did another expidition and it said 2 more guild quests for velociprey had showed up. Does this mean I now have 4 guild quests? What do guild quests do?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I finally managed to bang this out since I had a charm that would accomodate it, though I would not recommend taking this path alone as it required far too much expedition and GQ farming to accomplish in the first place:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tower of druaga posted:

yeah i basically treat urgents like a free chance at gear upgrades. you run them enough times that you're usually close to getting a set together and they're usually decently good sets

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Sard posted:

The Nintendo has bricked, but the soul still burns...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fungah! posted:

yeah i basically treat urgents like a free chance at gear upgrades. you run them enough times that you're usually close to getting a set together and they're usually decently good sets

That or if you already have plenty of whatever parts you're getting you can just sell them for a lot of money, which you will probably need eventually because weapon upgrades get crazy expensive. I help people with the gore and pink rath urgents all the time, it's easy money.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Emalde posted:

I finally managed to bang this out since I had a charm that would accomodate it, though I would not recommend taking this path alone as it required far too much expedition and GQ farming to accomplish in the first place:

What items are those?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

What items are those?

This set is highly relevant to me as a LS user.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Last time I tried the MH3 demo, some rabbit kicked my rear end. Just tried the mH4 demo and killed the east and imtermediate monsters first try. (Though the second one was close)

Did the game get easier or was it trying the switch ax?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Intoluene posted:

This set is highly relevant to me as a LS user.

I want those for my DS

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Bombadilillo posted:

Last time I tried the MH3 demo, some rabbit kicked my rear end. Just tried the mH4 demo and killed the east and imtermediate monsters first try. (Though the second one was close)

The game is both easier and harder. The demo is using (by all accounts) very high end gear and slightly less powerful monsters. But MH3U gave a defensive bonus to all players that isn't in this game. So the game is harder, but the demo doesn't really show that.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

This is a series where the best asset you have is your own experience. You're not coming in fresh. You're coming in with some practice. Every subsequent Monster Hunter will seem easier and easier, but come to threads like these and inevitably you will find someone complaining about the same old poo poo, like bad camera, slow/clunky combat, etc.

You're just better than you thought you were.

That said, sometimes monsters get easier. That rabbit is back. Don't be surprised if he's a push over when you get around to it. Other times some of the new utilities weapons get make the game easier. Switch Axe can roll into an up-swing now. Doesn't sound like you have anything to compare it to, but in earlier hunts, those new utilities can often make encounters much easier. Later, you will need to learn those utilities rather well because monsters will be balanced more around those new weapon mechanics.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Soooooo... I just tried this Fatalis Caravan quest and it went EXTREMELY POORLY! His tail is 6 miles long and very hard to dodge and oh god everything does so much damage how do I kill it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe

Kiggles posted:

This is a series where the best asset you have is your own experience. You're not coming in fresh. You're coming in with some practice. Every subsequent Monster Hunter will seem easier and easier, but come to threads like these and inevitably you will find someone complaining about the same old poo poo, like bad camera, slow/clunky combat, etc.

You're just better than you thought you were.

That said, sometimes monsters get easier. That rabbit is back. Don't be surprised if he's a push over when you get around to it. Other times some of the new utilities weapons get make the game easier. Switch Axe can roll into an up-swing now. Doesn't sound like you have anything to compare it to, but in earlier hunts, those new utilities can often make encounters much easier. Later, you will need to learn those utilities rather well because monsters will be balanced more around those new weapon mechanics.

The LS spirit slash right after a Fade Slash is a huge QOL increase. I don't care that the weapon got 'nerfed', that move is just amazing. Dodge with the fade slash and get right back in the monster's face.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Drythe posted:

What items are those?

Vangis X
Garuga X
Gore X
Garuga X
Azure Rath Z
A charm that can have at least +4 hearing and +2 handicraft
3x Spirit Gem 1
1x Spirit Gem 2

With a slotted weapon you also get +1 crit eye on that set in particular.

E: main issue is that it requires g-rank garuga/gore/deviljho, all three of which are restricted to Guild Quests

Emalde fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Emalde posted:

Vangis X
Garuga X
Gore X
Garuga X
Azure Rath Z
A charm that can have at least +4 hearing and +2 handicraft
3x Spirit Gem 1
1x Spirit Gem 2

With a slotted weapon you also get +1 crit eye on that set in particular.

E: main issue is that it requires g-rank garuga/gore/deviljho, all three of which are restricted to Guild Quests

Give me your G rank Gore I need his stuff to upgrade hella poo poo

Emalde
May 3, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

Give me your G rank Gore I need his stuff to upgrade hella poo poo

P. sure I sent it to you along with deviljho last night but I get off in a few hours so I'll do it then

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I fought my first Kirin. Was a fun battle and I'm interested in making possibly the Dual Blades that come from it. Anybody vouch for those or what?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Drythe posted:

I want those for my DS

FWIW DS don't get much out of Razor (DS sharpness already declines half as quickly), and a flexible s+1 & speed sharpen set is way easier to build

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

John Lee posted:

I got to HR and there's a quest to hunt Rhenoplos for me. A quest to kill ten of the things, I used it to hunt for rare charms with Felyne Explorer for a bit. Are you talking about singleplayer only?
I'm a little late but yeah, I meant single player. I haven't touched the online quests yet.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Does anybody have access to 3DS capture gear? Are you willing to do a dumb thing real quick? I wanted to show a buddy of mine the Meownster Hunter minigame because of how ridiculously awesome it is, but there are absolutely zero videos of it out there.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Emalde posted:

FWIW DS don't get much out of Razor (DS sharpness already declines half as quickly), and a flexible s+1 & speed sharpen set is way easier to build

I though DS were notorious for dulling really quickly?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Fun Shoe
So, someone actually told me the correct procedure for petting Poogie. I thought this pig was just a jerk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Anyone wanna do some G1 keys and eventually get to G3? Could use some help

• Locked thread