Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

chuggo is BACK posted:

if they call themselves blue steel RBNY should rename themselves Jet Fuel

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Lamont Cranston posted:

hahaha blue steel

http://youtu.be/D519hT7-ytY

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

chuggo is BACK posted:

if they call themselves blue steel RBNY should rename themselves Jet Fuel

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ban Americans from playing football imo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Blue Steel

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Ewar Woowar posted:

Ban Americans from playing football imo.

Case in point:

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More like Hearts of Polyethylene

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Dunban posted:

Case in point:

ahahahaha this team hasn't even played a game yet

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Maybe that goon resume service can help you join that supporter club.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jesus loving christ.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Dunban posted:

Case in point:

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Alexander Hamilton and his Corsicans? What the gently caress do Aeneas and Odysseus have to do with NYC?

loving sham of a club, they could not be trying harder to fabricate a history

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Dunban posted:

Case in point:

What. The. gently caress. :what:

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Aaaaagh this is the worst bullshit I have seen in a while :negative:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Close this thread, it doesn't get any worse than this.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dunban posted:

Close this thread, it doesn't get any worse than this.
No need, it's being encased in plastic with every new post about NYCFCTM (R) (C).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

What are you guys talking about? I can't wait to be a NYC HO

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The loving club doesn't even exist yet and you need references in order to get to help unfurl the Super Mario tifos.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Why the gently caress are they the hearts of oak, anyway?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I hope you have a white sounding name, and a nice suit. Degree would be nice but it's a matter of selling yourself the right way.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

blue footed boobie posted:

Because it was a boast that has filled the drunken songs of Blackbeard's crew.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

blue footed boobie posted:

Probably because there's an actual team called that in, like, Ghana or one of those places, and MLS is entirely supported by cargo-culters

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Probably because there's an actual team called that in, like, Ghana or one of those places, and MLS is entirely supported by cargo-culters

Its because a militia group during the American War of Independence (or to give it its proper name, English Civil War II), was called Hearts of Oak. Which seems like a fine allusion to make for a club bankrolled by an English team.

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It is Ghana (Accra) and their slogan is 'Never Say Die' which is badass. The club from Kumasi's is 'Kill a thousand, and a thousand more will come'. There should probably be a thread for awesome mottos (real or fake).

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Blue Star Error posted:

Its because a militia group during the American War of Independence (or to give it its proper name, English Civil War II), was called Hearts of Oak. Which seems like a fine allusion to make for a club bankrolled by an English team.

They should call themselves the New York Bani Yas imo. After the original tribal confederation of Abu Dhabi (thanks Wikipedia)

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Frank Lampard is going to kill himself after three weeks with that lot, and he loving played for Chelsea.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Dunban posted:

Case in point:

Hehe this is great

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Nuke New York

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
#explainingthejoke

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Is NYCFC setting up skull&bones like clubs for its members? List them all folks, I'd like to get in on ground zero and not end up in one of the plebby ones that can't actually effect anything.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
IMO, Freddy was sabotaged by US Soccer because he was and still is a THREAT to our so called system. He is the one player who has come out of it looking like he should be playing along the likes of the greats in Europe. No other US product has been able to play a creative position over there because we can't produce them.

Freddy stole the spotlight from players who the system put their "Made in USA" stamp on. He threatened their existence and ultimately questioned their soccer talent because they couldn't pull off the genius he was/is able to create. The whole thing of him having a big ego, not being a team player, not playing defense....those are comments likely from teammates who wouldn't embrace him because they were used to a youth system of entitlement not merit.

Soccer is the one sport in the US where you will never see THE best talent on the national teams or perhaps MLS because we can't produce enough players with real talent by Europe's standards. We have to have a system of mediocracy because that's all the kids who pay to play can amount to. No disrespect to those parents or kids, but the standards are too low. Sunil Gulati is an economist for heaven's sake and he's running US Soccer; he knows how supply and demand works. He realizes there's money to be made off of the middle and upper class who are more than willing to pay for their kid to have their 15 minutes of fame at every youth level and then send them off to play for NCAA. The carrot has to dangle low enough for enough people to keep paying to get it.

Freddy had/has pure creative soccer talent. The media saw it when he was young and he was rewarded for it. Heck, that's what they do overseas....recognize and reward talent. The type of talent that commentators/spectators complain about not having in our attack now. But when we cry about not having it after we've already had it, you have to go back and wonder what's happened. Fortunately, video footage can be seen on Youtube of Freddy playing (specifically MLS). Freddy can be seen doing what players in Europe are paid big contracts to do. He creates, he slices defenses, he scores, and he sets up his teammates. But when it's time for those teammates to finish, most of them fail. Beautiful plays he created, wasted because his teammates couldn't finish. Teammates who felt inferior to him based off his soccer ability, the fact he was making bank, an unwillingness to accept competition, and ultimately the inability to improve their own game. Interesting how big contracts and the media flock to those creative players who can make their teammates look good, but here in the US, he gets penalized and a sabotaged career. Who would've guessed.

So when we as a country who now embraces soccer as a sport of our own, cries out that we don't have the talent, don't have the creative playmakers, can't make it out of our group....is that really true? Or are we penalizing those true talents who can get us there but because they are a rarity to our system, who might make Johnny or Suzy uncomfortable with having the bar raised, who forces US Soccer to reward real talent, that we create a conspiracy and sabotage their career? Now even the media gets silenced because they've learned to be politically correct. Only in the US would we do something so "bass ackwards" as to punish what we set out to create.

To Freddy: You make the game beautiful to watch and I know my children/family find it a joy to see you play. We appreciate your talent and what you have to offer the game. Taylor Swift is right...haters gonna hate. Someone should've told you it was going to be political. Please continue to do what you love so that maybe on Youtube, we can love watching you. Don't let the fire burn out.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

There's no way I'm reading that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrapnig posted:

There's no way I'm reading that

from the three sentences i read it's about how freddy adu is the second coming of jesus, and also includes the noted taylor swift quote "haters gonna hate".

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I read it and it's amazing

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I thought he was talking about Freddie Ljungberg and it didn't make much more sense...

Thx vyelkin for pointing out it was Adu.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I didn't bother getting up for the City/Liverpool game as I knew Pellgrini would blow it and you can feel the Scouseness climbing the top 4 wall like the Orcs at Helms Deep. :(

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
http://i.imgur.com/rV6tKxG.jpg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i had some text about adblock but I couldn't read it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fortunately, video footage can be seen on Youtube of Freddy playing (specifically MLS).