Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neogeo0823 posted:

What?? Is there any easy way to transfer the contents of all my barrels to rock pots?

Easy? Pfft. But there is a way!

Step 1: create a dump zone
Step 2: designate all barrels for dumping
Step 3: individually select each barrel with 'k' from the main menu, and un-mark it for dump (leaving its contents designated to dump)

All of the stuff in all of the barrels will then be dumped into a dump, leaving you with empty barrels sitting in stockpiles.

Step 4: While paused, un-mark your dumped stuff and mark your barrels for dumping, which will result in a pile of dumped, forbidden barrels in your dump zone and your goods awaiting pickup to be returned to stockpiles in rock pots.

At this point, simply leave all barrels forbidden and they will never be used, and just do not build any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Note: once you have all the poo poo marked for dump, you can just do 'autodump" from dfhack unless you really like seeing dwarves run back and forth.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
seeing dwarfs run back and forth is the whole point of the game

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So... there seems to be a completely passive Ogre in my kitchen. Just... hanging out. Dwarves don't notice it, even use the same square.

I just... what?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Had the same thing happen with troglodytes who swam in. They just hung out, investigated our digs, the dwarves ignored 'em.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Look at the units list, is he a visitor or a diplomat or something?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

He's listed as a wild animal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Neat.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

StrangeAeon posted:

He's listed as a wild animal.

Catch it and eat it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
My mission to have manipulator completely replace Dwarf Therapist is well underway! Lethosor was a boss and started off with batch editing, and I've gone on to add custom profession templates and "Current Job" as a detail column option. You can either save a profession by selecting a dwarf and hitting Shift-P, which will save a plain text file to "DF/professions/Profession" with the labors enabled. Alternatively you can manually add files here and add the tokens you want. "NAME Something" will set the dwarves profession name if present, and MASK will only apply the specified labors and leave the rest alone (while the default is to clear all labors and apply only whats in the file).

Hopefully we can get this out in the next release or two.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solid Poopsnake posted:

Catch it and use it for live fire archery training.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

After tinkering with that hive wasp mod that is lining up with Masterwork a bit, I can't recommend it, it's super unstable - worldgen crashes about 3 times out of 4 for me with it enabled. It also looks like a bunch of monty haul sillyness really, it's kind of all over the map. Maybe in a few months it'll have its poo poo together better. I was hoping for some kind of low tech civ that was, y'know, wasp like, but that thing is kind of all over the map tech-wise.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

neogeo0823 posted:

What?? Is there any easy way to transfer the contents of all my barrels to rock pots?

No, it's all dumpy dumpy dump dump stuff again, but there's one trick to occupy barrels to make way for pots: get a sweet pod crop and make tons of syrup. That reaction only ever accepts barrels, and your dwarves won't eat the stuff raw. You also get a nifty pile of trade goods for the next non-elf merchant that rolls by.

StrangeAeon posted:

So... there seems to be a completely passive Ogre in my kitchen. Just... hanging out. Dwarves don't notice it, even use the same square.

I just... what?

Ooh, I've had a few trolls like that. Something about their building destruction pathing went awry, I guess. They totes started breaking heads once someone tried to use the workshop, though.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 24, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well if you're going to that trouble you might as well just keep them and cook the syrup because syrup/egg/lard/beef is pretty much the breakfast of loving dwarven champions.

e: For people stubbornly playing 0.34 because you like Masterwork/have FPS problems, did you know that dfhack/prospect works BEFORE embarking, and can tell you whether or not you have sand on that embark (with some caveats)

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 24, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

e: For people stubbornly playing 0.34 because you like Masterwork/have FPS problems, did you know that dfhack/prospect works BEFORE embarking, and can tell you whether or not you have sand on that embark (with some caveats)

Works decently well. Also embark-tools with sand enabled can show you without even using "prospect all". Both work in 40.24.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Huh, I have a weird graphics issue on my macbook with the latest release. I remember being able to play DF nicely months ago but right now, when I launch it I get an ugly window like this:

Any idea on how to fix this?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Senso posted:

Huh, I have a weird graphics issue on my macbook with the latest release. I remember being able to play DF nicely months ago but right now, when I launch it I get an ugly window like this:

Get rid of your mac. :pcgaming:

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Senso posted:

Set the PRINT_MODE to STANDARD or 2D (I forget which one, but if its already STANDARD use 2D) in data/init/init.txt. You can also use the MacNewbie Pack which includes TWBT and does not have the issue on first launch.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I wish Dwarf Fortress would have sex with this game and have a giant deformed thalidomide baby city building/strategy game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbsPHfNCOo

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

necrotic posted:

Set the PRINT_MODE to STANDARD or 2D (I forget which one, but if its already STANDARD use 2D) in data/init/init.txt. You can also use the MacNewbie Pack which includes TWBT and does not have the issue on first launch.

Ah yes that did it, 2D to STANDARD. Thanks.

Gibbo posted:

Get rid of your mac. :pcgaming:

I wish but work laptop.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
would be cool if it was like medival engineers and you could build your very own eribor/ lonely mountain.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Flesh Forge posted:

After tinkering with that hive wasp mod that is lining up with Masterwork a bit, I can't recommend it, it's super unstable - worldgen crashes about 3 times out of 4 for me with it enabled. It also looks like a bunch of monty haul sillyness really, it's kind of all over the map. Maybe in a few months it'll have its poo poo together better. I was hoping for some kind of low tech civ that was, y'know, wasp like, but that thing is kind of all over the map tech-wise.

i get what they were going for with the way the wasps reproduce but i feel like the step of infecting pet-level slaves who will eventually explode into new wasp people didn't really need to be involved

then again, this is masterwork, so it's about par for the course

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I actually liked that, but all the goofy poo poo with giving all of your civ members any particular bullshit special ability you want (fire breath,web spray, paralyzing gas what the loving gently caress) seemed pretty monty haul, plus they just feel way too tech/magic heavy for what is supposed to be some bugs that live in the caverns :shrug:

I'm really annoyed, I switched back to 0.34 to mess with Masterwork for a while and there's such a tremendous FPS difference - my forts stay pegged at 150 fps with all sorts of biomes, but with the new version my FPS seems to just go in the toilet way too quickly regardless of biome, but most particularly if there's aboveground growing stuff. Something has to be majorly hosed up, I can't see the biome changes being THAT much more math.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think there would be a lot of room for weird mutation poo poo like that if they just made it more consistent and based a lot of it on different types of venom when stinging things or something instead of having them belch out gasses and whatever the gently caress else. being able to grow their own weapons is also kinda unique, and i like the weird summoning poo poo they can do with their religious structures.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

c Mysterywork s: the adults are fine, it's the babies that are mom-portable barf dispensers coating every inch of the halls

Hunting tigers are pretty great otherwise, but they can't really bite through the head of an elephant that well. Maybe these giant jaguars??

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

If I'm using autolabor in DFhack and I draft some dwarves into the military, will DFhack stop messing with them? I'm picking up where I left off last night, and I didn't actually consider that until just now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Anyone know a reason my DF would play normally and fine, with a good FPS and all, but once or twice a minute it will freeze up for a couple of seconds before carrying on like normal? It's not completely beyond tolerating but it's really annoying, and my PC is certainly powerful enough for this game when I'm in a 3x3 brand new fort.

e; Actually, on further observation, it seems that after the brief pause the game will run faster for a moment, and eyeballing it it looks like it wants to catch up to where it's supposed to be.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 25, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Really hard to find a site when the entire world's ocean is evil and that awful shade of orange. My eyes refuse to focus on the screen. Thanks, The Suicidal Water!

I just wanted a savage good tropical moist broadleaf forest with some metals and unicorns, is that so much to ask?

Edit: and speaking of evil, I'm having a lot of trouble generating worlds with any evil and good biomes. are they more rare than they used to be, or am I doing it wrong? Is there anything I can tinker with in worldgen?

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 25, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You can turn up the minimum number of good/evil tiles in worldgen settings yes. IMO it's much better to have a lot of varied small clusters of good/evil than a huge swathe of a single good/evil biome though, because of how their contents will vary. There is A LOT of luck and patience involved in getting a lot of either type.

This new thing with designating activity zones for plant/fruit gathering is super wonderful, I think it's one of the nicest new features.

e: plant/fruit gathering is RIDICULOUSLY productive, I can't really see Toady leaving it this way because dang why bother to farm?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 25, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I just love that when your chef makes a masterpiece meal it announces it to the entire fort

HEY BAD rear end FRIED DINGO BALLS OVER HERE COME GET SOME GUYS

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

e: plant/fruit gathering is RIDICULOUSLY productive, I can't really see Toady leaving it this way because dang why bother to farm?
dont you have to go outside?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

awesmoe posted:

Yup. Making it a useless ability.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

necrotic posted:

Only garbage dwarves with garbage skill that are only good for dumping garbage go outside, and that's just to punish them. Real dwarves do it underground.
(This does lead to good times when my squad of ultimate badasses all keel over and vomit themselves into a coma the moment they chase someone past the gate)

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

awesmoe posted:

necrotic posted:

:goonsay:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dudes you know all that rock that you cut into blocks, what you do with it is you build a roof over the entire surface.

fair point though

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

necrotic posted:

Err in all seriousness, gather plants works fine on underground plants too.

e: Welcome to the fortress of Glistenlard, army of undead besiegers, you won't get through my walls... oh wait yes you will, like they're not even there, RIP Glistenlardians

Seriously invaders can just climb over walls now?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 26, 2015

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

Dudes you know all that rock that you cut into blocks, what you do with it is you build a roof over the entire surface.

fair point though

I thought tiles that are outside stay that way even after covering. Meaning you can poke holes and put floors over to reduce cave adaptation.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes you absolutely can do that, but there's a difference between "inside/outside" and "light/dark" and "surface/subterranean":

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tile_attributes

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ye olde wiki claims that most garden plants have been fixed and should work now. I distrust the wiki, but I'll at least give it a shot and report back. Then again apparently most of you are scared of the outdoors anyway :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
What the Hell kind of pussy is afraid of the surface? I mean, unless you've embarked in a place where it rains/fogs some kinda hell broth that turns everything into a relentless engine of destruction. Go outside, nerds!