Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Gwaihir posted:

Are they network printers? SNMP that poo poo!

(But seriously gently caress printers sideways always and forever)

About a quarter of the printers on our print server will report back an error and refuse to print until I turn off SNMP (despite working for weeks/months with it turned on) then they'll keep printing without issue.

Skynet will happen the day someone hooks up a printer to the first AI, from which it will learn to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

hihifellow posted:

About a quarter of the printers on our print server will report back an error and refuse to print until I turn off SNMP (despite working for weeks/months with it turned on) then they'll keep printing without issue.

Skynet will happen the day someone hooks up a printer to the first AI, from which it will learn to hate.

If we're lucky it'll realize it's a printer and kill itself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Knormal posted:

In printer chat, I've discovered that the new small Samsung printers we're rolling out will switch their tray's paper size to legal any time someone tries to send a legal-sized job to them, then it has to be manually set back to letter before it'll take normal jobs. Naturally checking tray paper size is beyond the scope of the average user, but at least I can toggle it back over the web interface. Samsung printers have really made me miss HP printers.

That sounds a lot like "this colonoscopy really made me miss urethral catheterization".

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

pr0digal posted:

Thanks to the Sony attacks the TSA is on the lookout for Cyber Terrorists, you'll probably be pulled aside for a more intense search. They'll want to make sure you're not carrying any "scriptz" or "warez".

In reality you'll probably be fine, maybe you'll have to answer a question as to what it is.

I've carried on Forensic Falcons, Cellebrites and nearly 20 hard drives in the last 5 months. The TSA agents didn't even bat an eye, except for the part where I was pulling 4 computers out of my bag to run through the scanner and holding up the line.

Just pull it out like its a computer and you'll be fine.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Agrikk posted:

Also, get a known traveler number from TSA. $85 for five years of express lines and minimal TSA hassle is very, very worth it. The first time I breezed through TSA security while all the regular schulbs groused in the long line paid for itself.

Listen to this guy, I'm in and out of EWR (Newark) and MCO (Orlando) every other month. First time I breezed past all the families with their strollers and princess dresses I nearly cheered out loud.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
A government agency creating a situation that's so bad that you jump at the chance to pay them to bypass it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bhodi posted:

A government agency creating a situation that's so bad that you jump at the chance to pay them to bypass it.
In business terms we call that a captive market. :v:

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

I have a Nexus card and being able to skip custom lines are loving awesome.

The only downside was now they have my retina and finger prints in the system :tinfoil:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bhodi posted:

Hey, if you don't pay that agency to bypass it, it wouldn't have enough money to continue to operate!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Agrikk posted:

This is all you need to do. Proactively displaying weird electronics radically reduces any hassles you get from TSA.

Also, get a known traveler number from TSA. $85 for five years of express lines and minimal TSA hassle is very, very worth it. The first time I breezed through TSA security while all the regular schulbs groused in the long line paid for itself.

I only fly once every 4 or 5 years though so this wouldn't really be worth it for me. And I am flying out a relatively small airport (GRR) so the lines won't be too bad.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Trastion posted:

I only fly once every 4 or 5 years though so this wouldn't really be worth it for me. And I am flying out a relatively small airport (GRR) so the lines won't be too bad.

GGR is awesome compared to basically any airport that has international flights. You can spend 2 hours in TSA security theater before getting a nice dude in blue gloves to touch your junk. If I start flying more than once a year, I'll probably sign up for it.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

GGR is awesome compared to basically any airport that has international flights. You can spend 2 hours in TSA security theater before getting a nice dude in blue gloves to touch your junk. If I start flying more than once a year, I'll probably sign up for it.

I fly out of CHA and the last time I had a flight they called for me by name on the PA when it was boarding time so I didn't miss any time at the bar. 2 minutes in line at TSA and not a minute of drinking missed. Compared to Atlanta it's a paradise.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Gothmog1065 posted:

This guy's communication from start to finish was terse rear end in a top hat from start to finish. He's the athletic director, so he's probably used to people bowing to his whim at any given moment. The coworker got out there, started to do his fixes, asked the guy to log back in and the teacher refused to let him touch or look at the laptop or even refused to talk to the tech again. We ended up reporting it to the administration and our director, and he almost punished badly for it. I'm assuming some other administrators have had dealings with this guy and immediately jumped on the punishment bandwagon. We told him we're not fussed with punishment, we just wanted them to know in case he did start complaining that we did our best to talk to him.

He's got something illegal on there, I guarantee it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like it when my line manager says "I'll take some screenshots of the brief for you and email them to you." and I receive a series of unfocused, 1024x768 photographs of his tablet, taken with his phone.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

OwlFancier posted:

I like it when my line manager says "I'll take some screenshots of the brief for you and email them to you." and I receive a series of unfocused, 1024x768 photographs of his tablet, taken with his phone.
Print it out, annotate it in pen, take a picture of it, print out the picture, scan the picture, and send that as your email reply.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Volmarias posted:

He's got something illegal on there, I guarantee it.

Time to search the girls changing room for his hidden camera.

And the boys room, too.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
A new VP came in...

With a completely new vision for IS being headed up by a team called the "Transformation Office". Among the new changes are:

-A new MTTR requirement tied to incentive for low priority tickets from users that get pushed to our team that does not count weekends or holidays in the calculation.
-A very high % "productive time" requirement for time reporting that counts things such as PTO, training, and mandatory meetings about our Transformation as non-productive. People non-jokingly said "well I guess I'll just put in more overtime"
-A plan to develop a relationship with "a low cost sourcing company" for contractors to be used for our staffing needs in the future. I'm exempt and am not super afraid of this, but some of our teams are as much as half contractors.

We're also getting rid of ClearQuest/ClearCase as our source control solution for some other IBM product that I didn't catch the name of ("rational" something or another as if that's informative). So far our experience with CC has been that you have to fight it every inch of the way to get it to perform mediocrely. I just don't understand why we can't get away from IBM. There are so many nice products out there and everything IBM on my machine is just a heap of poo poo. Maybe we just configure it badly but either way I don't have a lot of hope that this new product will be much better.

And I was in a pretty good mood after playing with my dog in the snow yesterday, too

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Eldercain posted:

We're also getting rid of ClearQuest/ClearCase as our source control solution for some other IBM product that I didn't catch the name of ("rational" something or another as if that's informative). So far our experience with CC has been that you have to fight it every inch of the way to get it to perform mediocrely. I just don't understand why we can't get away from IBM. There are so many nice products out there and everything IBM on my machine is just a heap of poo poo. Maybe we just configure it badly but either way I don't have a lot of hope that this new product will be much better.

Congrats you're moving from Rational ClearCase to Rational ClearCase 2.0.

(He probably meant Concert which is the new bullshit, never used it, IBM tried to pitch it to us.... we're happy with git.)

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
All employees, exempt or not, should be afraid of the word "Transformation". I'd update my resume/CV/LinkedIn just in case.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

All employees, exempt or not, should be afraid of the word "Transformation". I'd update my resume/CV/LinkedIn just in case.

Yeah, this too.

I am in Puerto Rico, and the company already told my department that we have to cut our budget by ~8% (from what was approved) because of the projected income loss from the VAT implementation.

Yaaay.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A gift came in...

Homemade curry beef pastries from a faculty.

Also a basket of chinese pears, chocolates and cookies, and a plate of brownies from a different staff member. It has been a rough week so this couldn't have come at a better time. New C-level has all of the "directors" freaking out and the helpdesk has been taking the brunt of some weird sudden policy changes.

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 27, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Eldercain posted:

-A very high % "productive time" requirement for time reporting that counts things such as PTO, training, and mandatory meetings about our Transformation as non-productive. People non-jokingly said "well I guess I'll just put in more overtime"

This is straight bullshit. Having PTO makes you more productive, presumably you come back from the vacation rested and better able to work. Training makes you more productive because presumably you're being trained in how to do your job. Mandatory Meetings should make you more productive otherwise why the gently caress are they mandatory?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kurieg posted:

Mandatory Meetings should make you more productive otherwise why the gently caress are they mandatory?

Because there's usually at least one huge ego in management and they get more out of stroking it when there's an audience.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A ticket came in on Friday morning. For a case three hours away that has to be taken after hours (after 9PM). Which means I get to spend half my Saturday driving back. A quarter of the weekend that I get off, before doing another 12-day stretch.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Che Delilas posted:

Because there's usually at least one huge ego in management and they get more out of stroking it when there's an audience.

Even my manager basically rolled his eyes about it. He's a good guy and it sucks that he's getting a lot of this stuff pushed onto him. All of my "non-productive" meetings including this one that he ran are the brainchild of some higher up. I don't mind going to the annual I/S strategy meeting since it's a half day I get to spend eating buffet food, but it's pretty bizzare for it to count against me in a performance review. Discouraging PTO, even tangentially like that, is pretty sinister though.

deimos posted:

Congrats you're moving from Rational ClearCase to Rational ClearCase 2.0.

(He probably meant Concert which is the new bullshit, never used it, IBM tried to pitch it to us.... we're happy with git.)

:sigh: This is pretty much what I was afraid of when I heard it. We did some really weird stuff with the original and built a bunch of in house code instead of buying the whole package, but after using even old stuff like svn I found it to be pretty unintuitive. Nowadays when I have to check in new code I click the "apply to all" button and just get up and go to lunch or something because it takes 15-20 minutes during which my computer just chugs.

Someday I'll work with cutting edge tools. Someday... :allears:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Eldercain posted:

A new VP came in...

With a completely new vision for IS being headed up by a team called the "Transformation Office". Among the new changes are:

-A new MTTR requirement tied to incentive for low priority tickets from users that get pushed to our team that does not count weekends or holidays in the calculation.
-A plan to develop a relationship with "a low cost sourcing company" for contractors to be used for our staffing needs in the future. I'm exempt and am not super afraid of this, but some of our teams are as much as half contractors.

And I was in a pretty good mood after playing with my dog in the snow yesterday, too

yall are hosed, goondolences

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Che Delilas posted:

Yes. I was more saying that "Saying that they don't help productivity is tacitly admitting that they're a waste of time".

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A ticket came in on Friday morning. For a case three hours away that has to be taken after hours (after 9PM). Which means I get to spend half my Saturday driving back. A quarter of the weekend that I get off, before doing another 12-day stretch.

Boooo. That really sucks. Makes me appreciate my weekends more.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So around 8pm last night I get an alert to my phone. All servers are offline.

After a few calls I find out that the power has been off in the area for 30 mins and our UPS systems have died. So I get dressed and head on down to work. The whole blocks is off and the local electrical company doesn't know what the problem is or an ETA on repair. So last night it was -20c by 9pm and would drop another 5. Frozen pipes are very common this time of year and we had a plumber come in twice this week to thaw ours out. We need to get our generator up and running in order to prevent this from happening.

We run to our second location down the street and get the trailer with the gennie in it. Turns out it's dead bolted instead of padlocked (like we were told) so now we have to find the keys. Turns out they are in a building that uses keyfobs to enter. The keys to that building are 2 hours away. So now we need to find some bolt cutters. We head to our maintenance shed across the street and start looking around. The bolt cutters are missing, no where to be found. We then start going into our company trucks looking for them and they finally turn up under someone's seat.

This is 1.5 hours at this point. We still see trucks driving around the area with flashlights trying to find a broken cable or something. We go back to the trailer with the bolt cutters and cut the lock.

The power comes back on the second the lock hits the ground.

I rush into the basement and see all the servers powering back up except our web. The UPS seems to have a fault in it (only a year old). I manually start the UPS and it starts up. 25 minutes later, all services confirmed as online. We pack up, lock the building and I get home around 11:30pm.

I sit down to relax and my phone goes off.

Power out again.

:suicide:

I told my boss I'm not going back down. I told her I would monitor for a few hours and if by 1 AM it hasn't recovered I'll call her so we can go back down with a gennie and a heater. By 12:30 it comes back online but the webserver is still offline (same UPS problem). I say gently caress it, we don't need it online until tomorrow.

6 am my phone rings "Why is the server offline?" Explain my situation and have the maintenance guy at 7 AM hit the reset on the UPS. Everything comes online.

Happy Friday!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Eldercain posted:

Someday I'll work with cutting edge tools. Someday... :allears:

So you going to become a landscaper? :)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Trastion posted:

So you going to become a landscaper? :)

This seems to make people happier in movies.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Coredump posted:

Boooo. That really sucks. Makes me appreciate my weekends more.

And I got an email threatening to cut some time I posted because apparently it took too long for me to wake up at 5AM when I got a phone call for a high priority call. It took me 30 minutes to talk on the phone, check road conditions because we were in the middle of a blizzard, and verify that I didn't need a particular cert that account usually wants. So they're threatening to cut 15 minutes off that time, in some of the most petty bullshit I've ever seen. And they're cutting an hour off of the time that I can bill each day for travel, and they're saying they want us to start showing up at sites at 8 AM, rather than starting work at 8 AM.

I'm really tempted to just quit, but jobs are scarce and I really don't have enough cushion saved up to last me for a few months.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You work for a bunch of cunts

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

And I got an email threatening to cut some time I posted because apparently it took too long for me to wake up at 5AM when I got a phone call for a high priority call. It took me 30 minutes to talk on the phone, check road conditions because we were in the middle of a blizzard, and verify that I didn't need a particular cert that account usually wants. So they're threatening to cut 15 minutes off that time, in some of the most petty bullshit I've ever seen. And they're cutting an hour off of the time that I can bill each day for travel, and they're saying they want us to start showing up at sites at 8 AM, rather than starting work at 8 AM.

I'm really tempted to just quit, but jobs are scarce and I really don't have enough cushion saved up to last me for a few months.

Thanks Ants posted:

You work for a bunch of cunts

Seriously, man. There's a reason unemployment exists, and in cases like this, I'd have no qualms about using it while I looked for another job. When they start getting petty is when you start telling them to shove it up their rear end and get out of there.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

neogeo0823 posted:

Seriously, man. There's a reason unemployment exists, and in cases like this, I'd have no qualms about using it while I looked for another job. When they start getting petty is when you start telling them to shove it up their rear end and get out of there.

You generally don't get to collect unemployment if you quit, or even if you get fired for most reasons.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

22 Eargesplitten posted:

blackswordca re-reg?!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, no unemployment if I quit or get fired with cause.

And from what I can tell, the C-level management of this company are loving awful. I haven't been around for long, and the time that I have been here has been them screwing up royally and getting the company in financial trouble. But according to glassdoor, before I started they were constantly posting about record profits for the year, but whenever anyone asked for a raise they just didn't have the money.

edit: I'm pretty sure there have been two CEO changes in the less than year I've been here. That's how badly they are doing.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, no unemployment if I quit or get fired with cause.

And from what I can tell, the C-level management of this company are loving awful. I haven't been around for long, and the time that I have been here has been them screwing up royally and getting the company in financial trouble. But according to glassdoor, before I started they were constantly posting about record profits for the year, but whenever anyone asked for a raise they just didn't have the money.

You don't make more money by giving it away.

Economics!

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
A ticket came in:

quote:

Hey, can you come pick up some IT books from the CIO's office? He's doing some cleanup and was wondering if you guys needed them

Nope, don't think we do. Hard cover NT Server books, with the CDs still sealed on the inside cover. Published when I was in the 9th Grade. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Antioch posted:

A ticket came in:

Nope, don't think we do. Hard cover NT Server books, with the CDs still sealed on the inside cover. Published when I was in the 9th Grade. Good times.

Holy crap those belong in a Museum.

• Locked thread