Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Other pet peeve of custom maps: having to raise every bit of flat land outside the industrial/docks district because I cannot make sunken highways or tunnels.

The height doesn't scale well for certain gameplay features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
The problem is with real maps, try for example Eaton. Really nice map.

A new interesting map. 17 x 16 big cities, but you can cut it,
http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/30142-humboldt-map/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yeah since maps based on RL locations use satellite maps you they always misinterpret buildings are part of the terrain so sometimes you can even see where highways normally go

Speaking of maps, I noticed that on all the maps I rendered in game from a .jpg usually had really shallow water. I usually started out with the flat plain map, should I start with the ocean one so the water is actually deep?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

benzine posted:

You guys that were talking about wanting mostly flat maps, check out one mentioned in the discussion of that Humboldt one, called "Madison County".

Also the Brasilia map is pretty darn flat, but it's not huge.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You guys that were talking about wanting mostly flat maps, check out one mentioned in the discussion of that Humboldt one, called "Madison County".

Also the Brasilia map is pretty darn flat, but it's not huge.

Link for the lazy (12x12 tiles): http://community.simtropolis.com/files/file/27342-madison-county/

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

smr posted:

The only map I play on anymore is something I _think_ I actually got from one of the SC4 threads here called "Yubari-copy". It has a bunch of water and nice hills and mountains but the plains and coastal areas are flaaaaaaaaat, so that annoying "bumpy terrain" issue that plagues damned near every single custom SC4 map is not present and you can build without worrying overmuch about leveling. It's also not like RETARD huge, with 32x32 large tiles or any nonsense. It's got a couple of each size, and together makes a nice big natural region.

It's a 15MB zip and I can toss out a Dropbox link if anyone's interested.

Sounds neat, if you feel inclined I'd be interested in trying it out, but as there are some other flat maps being posted here, don't feel pressured or anything!

Humboldt is loving gigantic, holy Christ :catstare:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I saw agents being mentioned a few pages back in the context of Cities: Skylines.

What are agents and why is this bad?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Inverness posted:

I saw agents being mentioned a few pages back in the context of Cities: Skylines.

What are agents and why is this bad?
It's basically that every car and pedestrian rendered is an actual thing being kept track of. In Sim City 4, the cars you saw were just abstractions representing other data; if there were lots of cars on a road, that meant traffic volume was high there, and if there were few cars, that meant traffic volume was low, but all those cars you saw weren't persistent objects in the game associated with a single address and driving to specific jobs and all that, they just appeared and disappeared as needed to give a visual representation of density and usage.

Agents aren't some abstract thing, by contrast. That car you see at an intersection is driving to a specific location, will stay there until whatever work is done, then drive back to a house, and then will drive to work the next day. If there's a traffic jam, it's not because the game wants to illustrate high traffic density, it's because a bunch of individual agents all decided to take the same route at the same time, and each of those cars is an individual agent that probably regrets being stuck in traffic.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
i'll try to do my best to explain it.

Agents are a simulation, let's say a person going to work or someone in a park like in Roller Coaster Tycoon. In theory it makes for a more realistic game when every sim is really simulated. So agents are simulations bound by certain rules.

SC4 it uses a statistical model to represent the uses of a road network, if you see traffic it is to represent heavy usage of that network but nothing more.

Now using agents requires computing power, so having a lot of them is very taxing to a modern CPU. And even more if the agent need advance calculations, now for a game that requires not a lot of agents it is fine but for a city game that has a lot of them it gets tricky.

In SC2013 they used an agent system, but it was a mess and very simple, for example only using the shortest route, and even there that lied in the number a 50,000 city didn't have 50,000 agents. Skylines will also have an agent system.

Now developers are trying to push for both, because in theory it sound really nice to have a fully simulated city, when each sim is fully simulated. In reality modern hardware isn't for the task to simulate a big city.

E:FB

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I understand. Agents seem like something that sounds nice in theory but is terrible in practice. Terrible at the scales you want a city simulator to work on at least.

I haven't played SC4 since October 2013. I guess I'll back up all my old stuff and start fresh with Tai's pack.

Is there a list of what is in it? The only thing I don't like about mod packs is when they're filled with a bunch of stuff but I don't know what that stuff is or how it should be used.

Inverness fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 21, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Inverness posted:

I understand. Agents seem like something that sounds nice in theory but is terrible in practice. Terrible at the scales you want a city simulator to work on at least.

I haven't played SC4 since October 2013. I guess I'll back up all my old stuff and start fresh with Tai's pack.

Is there a list of what is in it? The only thing I don't like about mod packs is when they're filled with a bunch of stuff but I don't know what that stuff is or how it should be used.

I don't think there are many goons who are spergy enough to be able to track EVERYTHING. When I didn't know how to use something I went to YouTube and there was almost always a tutorial

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

benzine posted:

The problem is with real maps, try for example Eaton. Really nice map.

Thanks, this is just the kind of region I wanted for a fresh start.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Mister Adequate posted:

Sounds neat, if you feel inclined I'd be interested in trying it out, but as there are some other flat maps being posted here, don't feel pressured or anything!

Humboldt is loving gigantic, holy Christ :catstare:

Here ya go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgtco63cwhyhj00/Yubari-Copy.zip?dl=0

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Thanks man :)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So I'm working on a region inspired by Atlantic Canada and a couple other cities I've lived in/near. It's absolutely massive (32x24 large tiles- or 12288km^2, or slightly larger than the island of Hawaii). I'll upload it when I'm done if anyone's interested. Anyone familiar with Atlantic Canada should be able to spot a few of the Capitals.

I have a few things left to do, like flattening some more city zones to make them attractive/ready to build on, connecting up a few rivers, and remove/smooth over some artifacts from the composite image, but it's mostly done. Does anyone know of a way to force SimCity 4 to do a real render of all of your cities, so that I don't have to manually enter and save them all?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Feb 23, 2015

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

This is still the latest version yeah? Do I need to add anything to this after install? I assume NAM is included? Do I need to run any configuration files after unpacking it to get NAM to work correctly? I'll be using a fresh SC4 install, do I need to do any of the fixes in the OP if I'm using this pack?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just got an urge to try and make some of the pretty pictures that have been featured in the thread recently (eg, that waterfall and boating lake village a page or two ago ... :captainpop: drat, that looked amazing!) . I just know I'll be ranting about how much I hate RHW's puzzle pieces again soon enough. It does make some pretty junctions, but my god, its a confusing bastard to use. I seem to remember having to watch several tutorials last time just to make a simple 2 Lane cloverleaf junction. I'm not entirely sure I want to bother with it.

Is there anywhere that just features screenshots of peoples pretty creations?

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 23, 2015

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
RHW, is a hassle and takes to much time. I rather continue with the Maxis highways although they're not that realistic.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I find using a mixture of the two can be very effective. I use RHW for inter-city travel and main highways, while I usually use maxis highways for urban arterial roads, parkways, bypasses and such

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I'll give it a try in the night to experiment with RHW.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

benzine posted:

RHW, is a hassle and takes to much time. I rather continue with the Maxis highways although they're not that realistic.

Yeah I agree with this 100%. I'm half tempted to remove RHW from my stuff just because most of the time I don't use it and it takes up quite a bit of space. It also takes up a lot of room on the map, which, while more realistic, is annoying and is basically a more annoying form of the Maxis ground highway except you get to dig around for overpasses for it as well.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
But RHW looks sooooooo good. It's usually worth it.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Christ, is every single mod download for this game hidden behind an AdFly link?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tindahbawx posted:

Christ, is every single mod download for this game hidden behind an AdFly link?

If you make an account on Simtropolis they go away

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

If you make an account on Simtropolis they go away

What, did they begin letting you download without being logged in?!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Now all I need is some guide similar to "How not to make Grid Based Hellscape Cities for Dummies".

Is there anyone who does good guides on making your cities aesthetically pleasing?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tindahbawx posted:

Now all I need is some guide similar to "How not to make Grid Based Hellscape Cities for Dummies".

Is there anyone who does good guides on making your cities aesthetically pleasing?

The solution to not building in a grid is to not build in a grid. Just look on google earth and see what an actual city looks like and build that, usually I'd go for a main artery with neighborhoods connecting to that.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Wasted several hours loving around with resized heightmaps not importing correctly until I figured out paint.net somehow doesn't speak proper grayscale. Switched to gimp and it immediately worked. :negative:

On an unrelated note, there was this cool tree generator posted upthread, anygoon possibly has this with dependencies in an easily downloadable form? I managed to download most of the hundred or so dependencies off bsc lex but it's all loving .exe files and I just can't deal with this poo poo, as it makes me irl mad. Pretty please.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

nielsm posted:

What, did they begin letting you download without being logged in?!

Not without ads and malware! (gently caress adfly in the dick)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've never had a problem with adfly

Mac Supremecy :smug:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

The solution to not building in a grid is to not build in a grid. Just look on google earth and see what an actual city looks like and build that, usually I'd go for a main artery with neighborhoods connecting to that.

Since when are cities built on a grid unrealistic? North America is covered with them, as are other parts of the world.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Rah! posted:

Since when are cities built on a grid unrealistic? North America is covered with them, as are other parts of the world.

Maybe, but they're ugly as hell, it doesnt make for pretty pictures.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I find grid nice in the city downtown, but in suburbia in gets boring fast. I tend to go from a grid pattern to something in between to breaking the grid away from the city center. I do farms in a grid pattern, because it is "realistic" in a Midwest setting but more because I'm lazy.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

Rah! posted:

I think he's referring to cities that aren't strictly grids. For example, Chicago and the rest of the midwest is super griddy but costal cities (i.e. NY, LA, SF) are a mix of grids and contour roads/diagonals.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Baby Cakes posted:

I think he's referring to cities that aren't strictly grids. For example, Chicago and the rest of the midwest is super griddy but costal cities (i.e. NY, LA, SF) are a mix of grids and contour roads/diagonals.

Yeah Michigan is insane about it

You can see the grid from space. It goes from 5 mile to 45 mile road way north of what's pictured here and it goes almost halfway across the state the other way. I rather like it though since you always know how far you are from somewhere and it's exact.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Lol, the grid extends farther than the city!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah Michigan is insane about it

You can see the grid from space. It goes from 5 mile to 45 mile road way north of what's pictured here and it goes almost halfway across the state the other way. I rather like it though since you always know how far you are from somewhere and it's exact.

That looks immensely depressing. Also practical.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Nition posted:

Lol, the grid extends farther than the city!

It's like that in KCK, the downtown grid of 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc streets continues southward from the river. I grew up about twenty miles and four or five towns south of KC, major 4/5 lane roads were 119th, 135th, 151st, and it goes out into the southern boonies to the mid-200s. Pretty normal around here to have giant grids at the very least laid down in dirt or gravel way outside of city limits. So we end up with lots of huge low-density commerical/residental grids with twisty suburbs like creamy centers, glommed onto old pre-automobile mid-density 19th-century downtown grids.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I'm not used to that at all because there's very little flat land like that here. As a result our road layouts are basically an abomination.

That particularly insane bit in the middle left even has a tunnel.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rah! posted:

I never said they didn't exist, just that most cities are not built like that. I know theyre more common in the US, but why would you even want to build a boring looking city like houston or something like that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They're not common in places outside of the US because, like say for instance European countries, have a bunch of old garbage their ancestors left laying around and it's cheaper to just build around it than to demolish it and put down good city structure. It has almost nothing to do with city planner's aesthetic sense.

YOU KNOW WHO APPEALS TO AESTHETICS WHEN DESIGNING A CITY? DUBAI. Do you want to be Dubai?

• Locked thread