Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

My Imaginary GF posted:

History provides universal lessons on the human experience: no matter where you are, the only thing standing between ambitious assholes and loving your rear end are the institutions between the two. Better hope those institutions ain't rubber to your natural lube.

do you read gwynne dyer at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Effectronica posted:

cleopatra was also fairly competent for a ptolemeian as i recall, actually learning egyptian

she gets credit for being able to know a winning team when she saw one and helping orchestrate a relatively (emphasis on relatively) painless transition into the Roman sphere, which is more than you can say about a lot of rulers at the time. the whole antonius thing was a serious gently caress up, but i can almost forgive it because really set aside everything you know about history and ask yourself who you would back in a fight between julius caesar's right hand man and his pissant nephew who everyone knows is a coward and sycophant.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Effectronica posted:

People were talking about the elderly and anime, and well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKpWpjZI7U

it's happening.

quote:

EltBerserker
thank you for showing me that i don't have to be in my 20s to enjoy life.
You have got to be loving with me. This is basically goonsay going super saiyan.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nutranurse posted:

pop history's part of the reason why the confederacy's gotten its image reworked into being what it is now

amateur historians can do a lot of bad things when they're in the right kind of professions

Yeah, well, the good news is the younger wave of pop historians doesn't seem to be on that wavelength, at least. Mike Duncan is a cool dude no matter what R. Mute thinks, and he's gone out of his way to say, "Hey, American Revolutionary leaders - this is a pretty big black mark on your records."

PS - that wasn't meant as a diss at you, R. Mute, you're a pretty cool dude too.

nutranurse posted:

robbing people of their cultural ties does a lot of really hosed up things to their descendants, self-identity wise

Yeah, I can definitely sympathize. Everybody wants to be connected with something big historically, and it would be only fair for black people, who have gotten so unbelievably royally hosed over for centuries and stripped of their cultural roots, to in fact descend directly from the Egyptians. But luckily, genetic testing can do some pretty cool things nowadays in tracing people's family roots, so who knows. Maybe we'll see a greater interest in West African culture in the US before long.:)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Effectronica posted:

People were talking about the elderly and anime, and well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhKpWpjZI7U

it's happening.

A friend convinced me to go to Anime LA this year and I saw the convention founder, looked like the main character of Whomp! aged up 40 years. Also saw a camera guy with a t-shirt from a basement convention in 1988, so that anime convention shirt is slightly older than I am.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
"Marmaduke sexually harassed a police officer just to get his owner-man in trouble, and by the looks of the (uncomfortably breast-level) raspberry he is blowing at his owner-lady, he would do it again in a heartbeat."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

nutranurse posted:

dont read too many d&d threads at the same time

or is this not a mispost

i just didn't think it was appropriate to ask about his linguistic proclivities in the jesus threads

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Majorian posted:

Maybe we'll see a greater interest in West African culture in the US before long.:)

im 110% positive we'll have an indonesian lesbian muslim president before the US sees wide-spread interest in west african anything, hth

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Effectronica posted:

cleopatra was also fairly competent for a ptolemeian as i recall, actually learning egyptian

Yeah, and she was clearly cunning. She just had the common sense of a 21-year old, silly thing.:allears:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

nutranurse posted:

im 110% positive we'll have an indonesian lesbian muslim president before the US sees wide-spread interest in west african anything, hth

What about West African viral epidemics?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

nutranurse posted:

ebola:colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Jagchosis posted:

What about West African viral epidemics?

the extent of that was more or less "keep those darkies over there with their diseases" tho

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

nutranurse posted:

you know something about Megawati Sukarnoputri that i don't? :crossarms:

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
After reading about the FCC ruling on net neutrality, I came to D&D to look up some discussion on it, but I couldn't find any.

Do we just not talk about non-electoral US current events anymore?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Majorian posted:

PS - that wasn't meant as a diss at you, R. Mute, you're a pretty cool dude too.
fight me irl

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

nutranurse posted:

I guess it depends on how widespread we're talking, though. I'm not thinking about it as something that EVERYBODY does, but you know. At least it would be nice if more schools taught West African history and cultural things.

R. Mute posted:

fight me irl

I would, but you'd just roll over like the Belgian you are.:smug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dreylad posted:

the gently caress is that

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Democrazy posted:

After reading about the FCC ruling on net neutrality, I came to D&D to look up some discussion on it, but I couldn't find any.

lol

fcc chat pops up every now and then in uspol, you just have to sift through a ton of posts to find when it pops up or get lucky to see it happen in real time

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Democrazy posted:

*the fishmech signal glows proudly in the night sky*

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Democrazy posted:

net neutrality is a trigger topic for uspol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
vilerat peed in my apartment and had bad opinions about laughable xhosa girls and he dead but was still better than migf

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Zoux decided that we shant talk about net neutrality in favor of Seinfeldian bum sex faux pas.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Democrazy posted:

Oh Christ, you're going to get fishmech all riled up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Democrazy posted:

whiny babies who get upset about truth bombs being dropped on them get things banned from discussion, lmbo

anyway there's nothing to discuss, all the discussion's been done for like months at this point. you may be a bit confused by the way news sites and poo poo are pushing it but the only thing that's been unsettled has been extremely arcane technical details of minimal relevance.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dreylad posted:

e: oops, I thought you were talking about Owain Glyndŵr, not a present-day historian. Welsh joke retracted.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 26, 2015

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

let's talk about net neutrality

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
But how does the ISPs throttling Netflix play into all of this? That kind of heavy handed corporate move to strangle innovation seems like an obvious sign that this is important. :getin:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

But how does the ISPs throttling Netflix play into all of this? That seems like an obvious sign that this is important. :getin:

you motherfuckre

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Xhosa girls are the most beautiful, brightest, resourceful women I've met, and I'm not just saying that because a bestie is married to Zimbabwe's NUMBER ONE WOMAN, the Miss Zim if she ever wanted it, the jewel of Africa and blood diamond of his heart, top of her class at public school and star of Uni of Harere.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who decides they are a top on the first date?

Who are these people?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Xhosa girls are the most beautiful, brightest, resourceful women I've met, and I'm not just saying that because a bestie is married to Zimbabwe's NUMBER ONE WOMAN, the Miss Zim if she ever wanted it, the jewel of Africa and blood diamond of his heart, top of her class at public school and star of Uni of Harere.

quick someone check if grace mugabe is xhosa

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

euphronius posted:

Who decides they are a top on the first date?

Who are these people?

The man.

That's who.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Net neutrality is almost as important as Keystone XL and it must be discussed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This movie is gonna rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_euhvZQMaw

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A Chicago Jew commenting on African women seems wrong somehow.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yeah, I've only heard good things.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
It amazes me that there are still posters who don't post pictures in the picture thread. That thread really just draws in the dumbest loving posters, there are at least one or two probations a day ever since the enforcement of the 'post a picture' rule stepped up a while back.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

yeah i wanna watch the gently caress out of this movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

It amazes me that there are still posters who don't post pictures in the picture thread. That thread really just draws in the dumbest loving posters, there are at least one or two probations a day ever since the enforcement of the 'post a picture' rule stepped up a while back.
Sometimes I want to discuss something there but I'm posting from work and can't post a picture so I don't. I guess people just don't read the rules (or the thread title) :shrug:

• Locked thread