Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

OldAlias posted:

i should point out in case there are production nerds who'll say poo poo like "garageband + fruityloops are idiot garbage", the daw or gear you use is incidental in the creation of music. you can make great music out of a tin can.

telling someone to start in ableton/logic/cubase/protools will gently caress up the fun unless their sole reason for living is to produce humanity-unifying sound

and just so everyone knows, being a good synth programmer does not equal being a good musician like being a good lumberjack does not equal being a good carpenter

and if you really wanna get hardcore, open up digikey/jameco/mouser/allied and get started

when you're done, get in touch with me for a job and we'll rock the audio market harder than funktion one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

lol that was a five year contract i signed in 2002. that shits long gone

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
mine's still there! https://pro.beatport.com/track/entropy-wayfinder-remix/6338385

there are two records in the also bought section, i think that means it sold two copies? im the king now, bubba

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lol

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

wayfinder posted:

mine's still there! https://pro.beatport.com/track/entropy-wayfinder-remix/6338385

there are two records in the also bought section, i think that means it sold two copies? im the king now, bubba
lol gj making trouse idiot

jk nicely done, i liked it

also it's cool you remixed jaytech, i don't really follow trance or progressive house or whatever that is any more but i saw him play a bunch of times back in the day :australia:

e: lol at "still there", congrats on getting released on yospos day

jony ive aces fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 26, 2015

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
my dad wants me to bring over my new ms-20 mini so he can try to do the pwm mod lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ive tried making tunes exclusivgely with either the analog or operatoer things in ableton, iuncludnig the drums. its an interesting but always failing experience

Trig Discipline posted:

that's p much what reaktor and audulus are yeah

hmm i wwonder iof tehre is demo

https://soundcloud.com/echinopsis/hiddenpool

i made this last night. mostly fm8 but also analog

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
haha i didn't even notice that

four days earlier would have also been acceptable since it's not quite house and feb 15 was International Grover Appreciation Day

and gently caress yeah Jaytech is loving awesome and is in my top three of most important musical influences and i am loving stoked to have gotten this chance. and if i get my poo poo together im gonna put out an EP on his label too but that depends on whether i can at least partially beat depression so who knows. musicians :rolleyes:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

wayfinder posted:

four days earlier would have also been acceptable since it's not quite house and feb 15 was International Grover Appreciation Day
:wow:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

wayfinder posted:

:gowron:

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

is pure data any good

i download it occasionally, open it, say no i dont want to cj this why are there error messages already, and close it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

is pure data any good

i download it occasionally, open it, say no i dont want to cj this why are there error messages already, and close it

it's neat but yeah you have to really like that sort of thing. there's a similar thing called ChucK that a goon wrote a book for,

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
here's chuckie

http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

you do you program a synth, like a vst thing or something. is it in C and you faff about with waves and such? i have no idea but it sounds kinda neat

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
it's definitely fun to play with but if i want to make actual music i will not go that route. ditto designing custom reaktor stuff except in very special circumstances. i play a bunch of instruments and own a shitload of synth software and effects, so it's p drat rare that i need to make a noise that i can't pull out of my existing toolbox

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

or use the skills you've been honing in yospos and get Max/MSP like everyone who makes real things/everyone's whose teachers assigned it and got a kickback from the music department

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
always wanted to give max/msp a try but given how little i do custom stuff in reaktor/pd/chuck it would prob be a waste of money for me. maybe one of these days

honestly to date my music is mostly real instruments supplemented with sampled instruments with the occasional bit of synth thrown in. keep thinking i should force myself to do a much more synthy project just so i learn some new skills but i'm hampered by the fact that i actually just don't like a whole lot of electronic music. it's hard for me to say "hey i really need to sit down and spend two weeks learning to make something that i would literally never listen to willingly"

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

it's hard for me to say "hey i really need to sit down and spend two weeks learning to make something that i would literally never listen to willingly"

have you heard of speedcore junglist music, sounds like u might dig it

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i really have been trying to make myself play with my synths more though, primarily based on the fact that i already spent all the money on komplete ultimate and i feel like i just owe it to myself to learn those tools. ideally i'm slowly working towards an album of downtempo synthy pop with a female singer with a good voice but right now i'm just making rough sketches and textural stuff

e.g. this sorta sketch of a sound that may someday become a song,

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/a-hundred-million-miles-away

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yard salad posted:

*searches youtube*

u fucker

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

:twisted:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I can't imagine being in a genre that is so devoted to one drum loop

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
holy hell I did not know the elektron analog four has polyphony, first video I saw said it was strictly monophonic

was looking at the tetra but gently caress that now

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Reaktor's greatest feature is the User Library on the NI site. There's over 3000 ensembles there. New free effects plugins, hundreds of 'em. Synths. Beatboxen. Granular thingies.

When I think of Reaktor users who have never been I'm just :psyduck:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

someone please recommend me one of those half size midi keyboard controllers tia

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schindler's Fist posted:

Reaktor's greatest feature is the User Library on the NI site. There's over 3000 ensembles there. New free effects plugins, hundreds of 'em. Synths. Beatboxen. Granular thingies.

i've been but haven't explored it in sufficient depth. i do know that the best synth i've ever had for my ewi usb was one of the freebies for reaktor

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

softsynths are so nice but the only way I can really spend the time on anything is away from everything with a hardware synth or maybe something on the ipad

but there's only so much you can do with a mid 90's yamaha rompler and a late 80's FM rack thing

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the best use of the rompler is actually to completely gently caress up the parameters so it does something unexpected.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the best use of the rompler is actually to completely gently caress up the parameters so it does something unexpected.
same but the tb303

Mario Incandenza
Aug 24, 2000

Tell me, small fry, have you ever heard of the golden Triumph Forks?

Schindler's Fist posted:

thanks, op

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

i have a better version of this i've been meaning to finish and upload for the last 4 months. on e of these weekends....
http://www.native-instruments.com/jp/community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/8027/

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

congrats you have discovered the secret of patch design 102

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
next lesson is "the places where it gets interesting are the borders between where it's boring and where it's chaotic/doesn't work any more"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

e---

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 26, 2015

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

yard salad posted:

the fact that fff still puts out mixes and new tracks makes the world a better place https://soundcloud.com/f-f-f

also this came out last year and it's pretty cool seeing old people talking about old music. also ragga twins will never not sound the way i want my unisons to sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAh1WdsEVhE

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

OldAlias posted:

have you heard of http://puredata.info , it is the fossy alternative to max/msp and worth playing with

it should be noted that puredata is the definition of opensores engineer design

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i'm an idiot anyhow i didn't see "pd" in the quote i posted

agreed anyhow. i just posted it in case the barrier was money. like, i use this poo poo because i'm broke not out of preference

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

i got a minor in music tech by programming a max/msp step sequencer wired to 32 microphones throughout our building and setting a dB threshold, so it would only record new sounds, then visually mapped it live across a scan of the building plans

won top prize from the surprisingly large nationwide network of electro-acoustic musicians

"can you hear me now?"

*plays 4'33"*

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

spankmeister posted:

someone please recommend me one of those half size midi keyboard controllers tia

me too, i need a smaller controller that i can actually keep on my desk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
are we sharing our modular pics?

• Locked thread