Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?
If that's a points league that could be a scary team. If your in a roto league its time to start trading, don't even wait for the season to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

enjoy the first week because that's the only time you're going to have all of those guys in the starting lineup together.

First week? Try first day. Chris Davis is suspended for Opening Day

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

spanky69 posted:

First week? Try first day. Chris Davis is suspended for Opening Day

ZOMG he is suspended for 1 game?!?!?! My season is doomed. :rolleyes:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

ZOMG he is suspended for 1 game?!?!?! My season is doomed. :rolleyes:

Fernandez doesnt even come back til the AllStar break so I'd make some serious trades to bolster that rotation. OFs could carry you far in points league but as said before, if it's roto then you need pitching bad and there's no telling when one of those injury-prone guys goes down.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Fernandez doesnt even come back til the AllStar break so I'd make some serious trades to bolster that rotation. OFs could carry you far in points league but as said before, if it's roto then you need pitching bad and there's no telling when one of those injury-prone guys goes down.

It's H2H. And yes I know Fernandez doesn't come back til midseason. And yes I know my pitching isn't great, I said so when I posted my roster. The draft did not go at all how I planned. But it's not a money league, which is part of the reason I felt like being risky.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Stanton at 35 and EE at 24 is a steal though right, at keeper prices? Nuke league IDK normal draft budget I think.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Keeper Question Time!

12 man league, head to head, 12 categories:

HR, RBI, K (negative), AVG, OPS, NSB

IP, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS, NSVH

Yes the scoring is dumb but bear with me here.

I get to keep three players, but I'm a bit unsure who to keep as I have some pretty decent choices. Keepers in this league surrender their last year's draft position (+3 if it's the second time keeping them). If you picked them up off free agency, they count as round 21 (so I definitely want one of those).

Below are my players with the draft round I'd lose:

Giancarlo Stanton (1)
Evan Longoria (2)
Adam Wainwright (2)
Jose Reyes (3)
Joe Mauer (4)
Julio Teheran (6)
Sonny Gray (9)
Anibal Sanchez (13)
Yasiel Puig (18)
Jorge Soler (21)
Mookie betts (21)
Dee Gordon (21)
Jake Arrieta (21)
James Paxton (21)
Jacob DeGrom (21)
George Springer (21)

My big dilemma is that, unless I trade for a 21st round pick, I can only keep one guy in that latter stage. I think Puig is a no brainer (he was my big pickup last season), but I can't decide which player to choose among the 21st rounders, and who to do otherwise.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping these two:

Giancarlo Stanton (1st round) - Picking ninth in the first round, I probably won't do any better than Stanton anyway.
Yasiel Puig (18th round) - No brainer, great value.

But I have many good candidates for round 21, and could trade and forgo Stanton for two. The top guys in my mind are:
George Springer - Dinger machine who will hurt in AVG/K's but help in OPS, RBI, and HR. Maybe SB too.
Jorge Soler - Another great player who should be getting regular playing time, is he better than Springer now that he's going to start at RF?
Mookie Betts - Was also really good, and should start 2B eligible which is pretty useful in and of itself.

Who do you guys think is the better 21st rounder? Is it worth trading for the last round pick and forgoing Stanton to get TWO 21st round keepers?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I'd go Springer or Dee Gordon.

Stanton and Gordon will certainly be a good start on counting stats.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

I'd go Springer or Dee Gordon.

Stanton and Gordon will certainly be a good start on counting stats.

Is Gordon expected to be as good next year? I honestly wrote him off as a bit of a fluke, but I figure he's a good source of SB either way.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'd try to trade Springer since his perceived value is probably pretty high to somebody but he's not worth much with the strikeouts and BA. If you can't trade him I'd drop him and keep Betts since he has potential to help in all categories and should be 2b eligible.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Schweinhund posted:

I'd try to trade Springer since his perceived value is probably pretty high to somebody but he's not worth much with the strikeouts and BA. If you can't trade him I'd drop him and keep Betts since he has potential to help in all categories and should be 2b eligible.

I agree about Springer, he Ks a ton and since Ks count in that league he doesn't have much value. I'm not sure I'd keep Betts either though if you are playing for this year, he's battling like 5 other guys for playing time so he may not get many PAs. I'd probably keep Soler or DeGrom/Arrieta.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Holy poo poo I did not realize how much of a godawful wasteland SS is.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.
So, uhh, I've been convincing myself for years that Brandon Belt was geared for a breakout but kept coming up with excuses like "Bochy just won't give him playing time" or "he got a fluke injury and isn't 100%." Am I foolish to think this is the year? Is he basically doomed to be mediocre despite the promise he once exhibited?

I'm trying to decide on two final keepers, and I've actually been considering Belt. My other options are Mark Trumbo (who will only be a dollar more expensive), Mark Melancon (I know, don't go for closers but isn't his job solid? He costs nothing), Dallas Keuchel, James Paxton, Kevin Gausman, or Andrew Heaney (all of whom command very little to hold onto).

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Feb 25, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
What are their prices? How many teams? How many keepers?

As for Belt, he's all over the map. He was a good average, moderate power guy, then sold out for dingers last year. He was doing well but just riding a hot streak when he went down... and then he missed 100 games. He's a wild card. Depending on the rules I might go Kuechel for a buck over Belt for $8 or $9.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

It's a 12 team league. Belt is going to cost me 8 if I go that route. Keuchel was undrafted so he's 3 to keep (auto prices undrafted at a buck and to keep for new year we add 2. We each keep 10 people, which is a lot.

Here is who I'm keeping so far, with their prices: Rendon (5), Cespedes (13), J. Soler (3), J. Baez (3), J. Pederson (3), Wainwright (22), S. Gray (5)

That leaves three places but I'm leaning toward keeping both Melancon (3) and Rosenthal (5) because closers will end up costing more than I want in the auction than it will be to keep them, so I might be saving on saves...hahahahaha, this will bite me in the rear end.

So that leaves one space for Keuchel (3), Trumbo (9), Belt (8), Heaney (3), Alex Wood (3), Castellanos (5), J. Paxton (3), Gausman (3).

Tell me where I'm stupid. I'm often stupid.

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

Ratedargh posted:

It's a 12 team league. Belt is going to cost me 8 if I go that route. Keuchel was undrafted so he's 3 to keep (auto prices undrafted at a buck and to keep for new year we add 2. We each keep 10 people, which is a lot.

Here is who I'm keeping so far, with their prices: Rendon (5), Cespedes (13), J. Soler (3), J. Baez (3), J. Pederson (3), Wainwright (22), S. Gray (5)

That leaves three places but I'm leaning toward keeping both Melancon (3) and Rosenthal (5) because closers will end up costing more than I want in the auction than it will be to keep them, so I might be saving on saves...hahahahaha, this will bite me in the rear end.

So that leaves one space for Keuchel (3), Trumbo (9), Belt (8), Heaney (3), Alex Wood (3), Castellanos (5), J. Paxton (3), Gausman (3).

I'd cut bait on Belt. Are you convinced you could win the league this year? If yes, then I would keep the cheap closers. If you think it's a long shot it would be smarter to lock in some of the higher upside starters for longer term value (I like Wood and Heaney the most of your bubble starters).

You've got some very young great value hitters, but it's not unlikely we see Soler and Baez struggle this year and Pederson is going to be fighting for ABs.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Alex Wood for 3 seems like a good deal.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Thanks for the advice. I am not convinced I'll contend. I finished 9th last year, and was kind of lucky to do it. I might just cut bait on Belt as suggested and go with Heaney and Wood instead of the closers. Gracias goons, your help is appreciated.

DornerHorse
May 21, 2014

Chewie, we're Prohm
Looking to join a league - PM me if there's an opening for mixed leagues! Ok with a small buy-in, but nothing crazy.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Ratedargh posted:

I think a lot of those guys are good value, but besides Wainwright you really don't have any elite players being kept. If you can be active in the draft and get some legit elite talent to help fill out your roster then I could see you competing.

I just know from experience that when you put a team together of 'good value' players from an auction/keeper draft, you can lag behind the guys who went out and spent some money on elite talent and made smart waiver pickups.

Don't get stuck 'waiting for good deals' in auctions. At some point, usually pretty early, you end up overpaying for marginal players because you and a handful of other teams realized that the top players are off the board and you and four other teams NEED to fill 3B and you get stuck in a bidding war for Chase Headley.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I agree about Springer, he Ks a ton and since Ks count in that league he doesn't have much value. I'm not sure I'd keep Betts either though if you are playing for this year, he's battling like 5 other guys for playing time so he may not get many PAs. I'd probably keep Soler or DeGrom/Arrieta.

Good advice everyone, I'm leaning towards soler now, but I'll see if I can trade Betts or Springer for some better draft picks.

DeGrom and Arrieta could be interesting and are definitely safe choices, I'm just not sure their ceiling is quite as high as pitchers as Soler or Springer are as hitters. I'll throw them out there and see who bites.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Keeper Question

12 man league, roto, standard Yahoo league (R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP) & standard lineups. I'll be picking 11th.

I get to keep four players, Below are my players of relevance with the draft round I'd lose:

Miguel Cabrera (1)
Jose Bautista (2)
Jose Altuve (5)
Corey Kluber (19)
George Springer (20)
Matt Harvey (23)
James Paxton (25)
Anthony Rendon (26)

Right now I'm planning on keeping Rendon & Altuve for sure. Neither Cabrera & Bautista will make it to my 1st round pick (Votto was #1 pick last season with after keepers). Hard to pass up on the value of Springer & Kluber or the other two pitchers. Leaning on keeping Cabrera & Springer. Yay or nay?

*finished 2nd last year by 1 point with only getting 1 point from saves when I drafted the closers for OAK, BAL & CLE who all poo poo the bed early in the season and their handcuffs were scooped up quick.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
Keep Miggy. I'd probably keep Kluber in your situation but if it's a keep-forever league, Springer forever in round 20 is pretty nice.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm not sure I'd keep Altuve actually over Rendon, Miggy, Springer ,Kluber or Harvey even. Its tough to count on a dude who's value is derived out of a high batting average and you get so much extra value out of those dude from those late rounds. Altuve is a 20-30ish pick (though I personally would avoid him there) and you're getting him around 50ish. Altuve's value isn't so much better than another 2B/3B you can draft later that you absolutely need to grab him imo. Those other dudes are all inside the top 100 and you're getting them over a hundred spots later. (Rendon and Kluber are top 50). I'd probably keep Harvey, Rendon, Miggy and Springer/Kluber.

Meanwhile someone like Kipnis will be floating out there, who's as much a regression candidate as Altuve.

Tank44
Jun 13, 2005

We want the ball & We're going to score
Thanks for the feedback.. It's kind of forever keepers: 1st year keeper is the draft round you got the player, after that you can keep him but at his ADP round value.

Having Rendon able to play 2nd and Miggy at 3rd, leaning to keeping Kluber and Springer with the late round picks for top 50/100 players.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the feedback in this thread, I traded Springer for a much higher draft pick, and will be able to Keep Stanton/Puig/Soler. Still trying to trade more of my additional keepers (Betts, DeGrom, Gordon). Since I'm an idiot I didn't even think of selling these guys off.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

JackssWastedLife posted:

Pederson is going to be fighting for ABs.
Late to this, but I honestly don't think Pederson will be fighting that hard for playing time. The writing is on the wall and Ethier's days as a Dodger are numbered.

Unless he looks totally lost in the spring, Pederson will be the starting CF from the get go.

This may be my optimistic homerism, but it's the impression I've gotten from everything coming out of the team this winter/spring so far.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Looks like the big methodological problem with these projections is that they are essentially the fantasy version of $/WAR. They work up how many Fantasy Points Above Replacement exist in the world, make some assumptions about how much money there is to spend, divide, and then multiply the resulting $/FPAR by each player's individual projection to get a dollar amount. So the assumption is that you'd like (guy who's 500 points above replacement + replacement player) exactly as much as 2 guys who are 250 points above replacement.

I like the idea about looking at replacement level for each position, though. What I kind of didn't put together before was that the 60th best outfield-eligible player is actually a lot worse than the 12th best short-stop eligible player. Obviously you can get cute in the outfield and use platoon guys but I always just went by traditional positional scarcity in MLB but that's assuming 30 starting players at each position so it's different in leagues where you need to start 5 outfielders every day? Does that sound insane?

So highest value to lowest value replacement level looks like this in SABR points according to what I've got: 1B-3B-2B-SS-OF-C. That's using ZiPS but I assume Steamer is not that much different.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 27, 2015

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
If anyone from my Goon league last year is reading this, check your email. League created, invites sent out, draft time set.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

I will draft from the roof of my car this year to top drafting while driving last year.

And also I'm only going to have 4 leagues so I don't cannibalize my time and maybe finish better than last :cool:

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Retail Slave posted:

If anyone from my Goon league last year is reading this, check your email. League created, invites sent out, draft time set.
Yay! I was hoping this league would be back. I enjoy your format.

(I'm The Bastardos.)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

AtraMorS posted:

Yay! I was hoping this league would be back. I enjoy your format.

(I'm The Bastardos.)

You certainly live up to your name, you league-winning bastard. :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I wanna play in a league with goons

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

rumor has it verlander looks fixed

JackssWastedLife
Oct 30, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Late to this, but I honestly don't think Pederson will be fighting that hard for playing time. The writing is on the wall and Ethier's days as a Dodger are numbered.

Unless he looks totally lost in the spring, Pederson will be the starting CF from the get go.

This may be my optimistic homerism, but it's the impression I've gotten from everything coming out of the team this winter/spring so far.

I think that you're probably right, but until it's shaken out for sure I wouldn't be paying "full price" for Joc assuming he's the starter. If I was a dodger fan it might be different :)

With the injury to Saunders an Ethier to the Jays trade could make sense... But that is going to be a painful trade for dodger management. Going to have to eat lots of money methinks.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Edit: Nevermind.

Has anyone one any auction drafts yet? Mine is in 8 days! Super can't wait.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 27, 2015

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Abel Wingnut posted:

rumor has it verlander looks fixed

Apparently it takes a year to recover fully from core repair whatever surgery he had, so it would make sense.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

ZenVulgarity posted:

I wanna play in a league with goons

I have 3 invites left to reply. If they haven't joined by Tuesday, then it's first come, first served. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and you'll be my first alternate.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

DoctaFun posted:

I think a lot of those guys are good value, but besides Wainwright you really don't have any elite players being kept. If you can be active in the draft and get some legit elite talent to help fill out your roster then I could see you competing.

I just know from experience that when you put a team together of 'good value' players from an auction/keeper draft, you can lag behind the guys who went out and spent some money on elite talent and made smart waiver pickups.

Don't get stuck 'waiting for good deals' in auctions. At some point, usually pretty early, you end up overpaying for marginal players because you and a handful of other teams realized that the top players are off the board and you and four other teams NEED to fill 3B and you get stuck in a bidding war for Chase Headley.

Looking at some of the prices of top guys, I can see a few of them being available at auction. I've often shied away from spending big money, but I'll splurge on draft day if I have to. And I may end up keeping the closers in that case. Basically use my good value keepers as a base and try to use my savings to buy some top talent (like Miggy, whom I assume will be available) even if I have to overspend a bit.

I love this thread.

Also, I was wondering what people's thoughts on Julio Teheran are. Atlanta looks like it's sinking pretty hard into rebuilding its offense so wins may be at a premium, but do you think Teheran will be good value outside of wins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The guy we wanted to kick out of the league, but he begged saying he'd be more active this year, has a 1$ base cost Corey Kluber and Michael Brantley. He could keep one at +1$ and one at +4$.

Cool, right? RIGHT?

He said he doesn't like anyone on his team enough to keep.

We should have kicked him out.

• Locked thread