Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
i knew one guy who got accepted to mit

he took the calculus ap test as a freshman in high school so by the time he graduated he had three years of math credits (+ the ap test ones) because he took college courses in the intervening time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

take it over to GBS or something. all your american schools are poo poo anyway, designed to get idiots to way overpay for school. Enjoy your crippling debt for life while bragging you went to <<for profit school>>

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
nobody who went to a for-profit school lives the kind of life where you brag about college

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nobody who went to a for-profit school lives the kind of life where you brag about college

so basically any school, then

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

so basically any school, then

how do you know on sight if a man went to harvard? he'll tell you

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i think you would be surprised by how many yospos types went to harvard, especially for undergrad.

everywhere in america has local/regional elite schools. the ivy league is the regional elite for the northeast. lots of idiots go, pay, and graduate.

harvard ain't that much different from your local highly-selective uni, except that it's in massatwoshits

tulane in nola is the most expensive private college in the nation

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how do you know on sight if a man went to harvard? he'll tell you

so will penn staters

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

triple sulk posted:

so will penn staters

one of the local pgh spoarttalk guys had the best take on the olbermann/thon poo poo and they are an alum

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

computer parts posted:

i knew one guy who got accepted to mit

he took the calculus ap test as a freshman in high school so by the time he graduated he had three years of math credits (+ the ap test ones) because he took college courses in the intervening time

i know a guy who went to mit also. now he does nanotech post-doc stuff there. he is VERY VERY smart.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i attended one or more universities

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

graph posted:

one of the local pgh spoarttalk guys had the best take on the olbermann/thon poo poo and they are an alum

thon is a loving plague. i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take the carbon footprint into equation at all. just donate the loving money and stop screaming 'for the kids' like passive-aggressively smug philanthropists

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

fart simpson posted:

i visited the princeton campus and it felt like this. everyone we saw seemed to be in love with the idea that they were at princeton, it was weird. i ended up at harvard (playing piano in an on campus bar. the people that came to that bar seemed normal i guess)

To be fair, I'd be pretty elated, too, had I gotten into Stanford or Princeton and not flunked out. And most of the people you interact with on a tour are paid to act that way.

e: Oh God, that reminds me of the Carnegie Mellon guy whose pitch I attended as a senior. Would not shut the gently caress up about Pittsburgh's cheese fries, like cold Velveeta over greasy extruded potato product was the hallmark perk of living in that city. I wouldn't feed my worst enemy's dog that puke.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 26, 2015

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
hmm this sales man seemed completely in love with the product he was pushing
what a strange man

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

triple sulk posted:

thon is a loving plague. i wouldn't be surprised if they didn't take the carbon footprint into equation at all. just donate the loving money and stop screaming 'for the kids' like passive-aggressively smug philanthropists

lol simmer down beavis

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol simmer down beavis

i know it comes across as over the top but i just think it's all bullshit. i don't believe in having what amounts to a big party for a fundraiser, especially when they could add in all the money they'd save by not holding one.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

hmm this sales man seemed completely in love with the product he was pushing
what a strange man

they still creep me out

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

who the gently caress makes it into harvard and still posts in yospos dude i hope you take advantage of your situation in life soon

what about the Harvard of the Allegheny?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
harvard of north east romania

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

at the date posted:

e: Oh God, that reminds me of the Carnegie Mellon guy whose pitch I attended as a senior. Would not shut the gently caress up about Pittsburgh's cheese fries, like cold Velveeta over greasy extruded potato product was the hallmark perk of living in that city. I wouldn't feed my worst enemy's dog that puke.

the fries at The O are pretty fuckin good though, and very much not cold (either the fries or the optional cheese)

now I'm craving some but I'd have to go to Pittsburgh for them

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Did you like it there

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
lol american universities

was it harvard where they had such an inferiority complex that they literally doused the buildings in acid in a desperate attempt to make it look like they were as old as european universities, or was that yale?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

lol american universities

was it harvard where they had such an inferiority complex that they literally doused the buildings in acid in a desperate attempt to make it look like they were as old as european universities, or was that yale?

lol Harvard was established in like the mid 1600s. they're not exactly aching for historical significance

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my cousin went there, then she went to lsu for grad school

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
wtf

quote:

Many of Yale's buildings were constructed in the Collegiate Gothic architecture style from 1917 to 1931, financed largely by Edward S. Harkness[77][78] Stone sculpture built into the walls of the buildings portray contemporary college personalities such as a writer, an athlete, a tea-drinking socialite, and a student who has fallen asleep while reading. Similarly, the decorative friezes on the buildings depict contemporary scenes such as policemen chasing a robber and arresting a prostitute (on the wall of the Law School), or a student relaxing with a mug of beer and a cigarette. The architect, James Gamble Rogers, faux-aged these buildings by splashing the walls with acid,[79] deliberately breaking their leaded glass windows and repairing them in the style of the Middle Ages, and creating niches for decorative statuary but leaving them empty to simulate loss or theft over the ages. In fact, the buildings merely simulate Middle Ages architecture, for though they appear to be constructed of solid stone blocks in the authentic manner, most actually have steel framing as was commonly used in 1930.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol, yale

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Yale? more like Fale!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
john hodgman went to yale

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

prefect posted:

[moderate famous person] went to [school no one cares about but you]

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

triple sulk posted:

agreed op gently caress penn state

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

white-noise and trivia are all i have to offer

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

qirex posted:

there's this choice quote as well, "if people moved there, they would soon want more schools and other expensive services"

parks and rec is a documentary, everyone in local government is a broken shithead
parks and rec is a toned down version of reality because no one would believe the actual things that citizens speak to their government about.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

prefect posted:

mr burns and sideshow bob went to yale

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

at the date posted:

Oh God, that reminds me of the Carnegie Mellon guy whose pitch I attended as a senior. Would not shut the gently caress up about Pittsburgh's cheese fries, like cold Velveeta over greasy extruded potato product was the hallmark perk of living in that city. I wouldn't feed my worst enemy's dog that puke.

O fries are pretty good sorry you're so angry about it

triple sulk posted:

just donate the loving money and stop screaming 'for the kids' like passive-aggressively smug philanthropists

ding ding ding

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

i think george will was princeton, but all the bushes go to yale, right?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
When I still owned a house I used to go to HOA meetings when I was bored as sort of a candid theater. It was basically that ep of parks and rec where the Venezuelans sit through a town hall and all the crazies yell at them the entire time.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

triple sulk posted:

just donate the loving money and stop screaming 'for the kids' like passive-aggressively smug philanthropists

sulk was right

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
heh what did your school do today :smug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lamont Cranston posted:

heh what did your school do today :smug:

sent me another fundraising letter, probably (i had a major and two minors, and it seems that each department gets to send their own e-mails asking for money) :argh:

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

decorative friezas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
technological baubles

• Locked thread