Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

zedprime posted:

There was a building at work with a few extra doors leading to (site, not public) streets that they didn't want to put a railing or bollard up for because there were other doors with railings or bollards 4 steps away. Instead of locking or otherwise disabling, at some point in history they were hooked up to alarms which were since disabled in favor of other alarm systems and probably because people forgot why they were turned into emergency only in the first place. This is where I get to admit I'm awful at safety because I abused the hell out of those doors to save 4 steps all the time.

Anyway its tough to tell from the one picture because that could be anything from Triangle Shirtwaist to a prank. Even without the lock its the worst emergency exit ever because there's a turn handle instead of a pushbar and the signage is a low visibility copy machine printout, though to be fair maybe there's a lighted sign out of frame?

Made me look up that factory fire and holy poo poo:

quote:

The company's owners, Max Blanck and Isaac Harris, who survived the fire by fleeing to the building's roof when the fire began, were indicted on charges of first- and second-degree manslaughter in mid-April; the pair's trial began on December 4, 1911.[40] Max Steuer, counsel for the defendants, managed to destroy the credibility of one of the survivors, Kate Alterman, by asking her to repeat her testimony a number of times, which she did without altering key phrases. Steuer argued to the jury that Alterman and possibly other witnesses had memorized their statements, and might even have been told what to say by the prosecutors. The prosecution charged that the owners knew the exit doors were locked at the time in question. The investigation found that the locks were intended to be locked during working hours based on the findings from the fire,[41] but the defense stressed that the prosecution failed to prove that the owners knew that. The jury acquitted the two men, but they lost a subsequent civil suit in 1913 in which plaintiffs won compensation in the amount of $75 per deceased victim. The insurance company paid Blanck and Harris about $60,000 more than the reported losses, or about $400 per casualty. In 1913, Blanck was once again arrested for locking the door in his factory during working hours. He was fined $20.[42]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My neighbor is doing that right now. Better is that hes doing it right next to a walkway and the handle on the floor jack is kinda sticking out into the walkway. My neighbor is one stumble/oblivious texter/oversized winter jacket away from having his face smashed in.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

How much do think this dickhead spent on that suspension, those wheels, that jack, and that little milled ramp of solid aluminum (or some other no-it-has-to-be-this-because-reasons metal)? And he couldn't put up $20 for a couple of jackstands?

Well, he did stick the landing. Former gymnast?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At work, we have steel frame doors, with a pushbutton to open. Yesterday, our DHL guy pushed the button, looked down at his PDA pad thing, and walked right into the edge of a door; I arrived a bit later to find a dazed DHL guy with a bloody face sitting up against a wall talking to one of our doctors. (There are upsides to working at a hospital).

I believe he ended up needing a few stitches, and now I wonder if our H&S people will make anything out of it.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Gorilla Salad posted:

We had an issue in our Singapore division where every fire extinguisher had to be rehoused. In Australia, we had them on small hooks and "all" you needed to do was lift them by less than 1cm and you could free them for use. But the company found a large number of employees in Singapore* couldn't lift the extinguishers at all. If there had been a fire, it would have been really bad, to say the least.

I am very glad that someone make emergency equipment more accessible. It's horrible to imagine having the equipment to save yourself in the event of an emergency, but not being capable of using it. :gonk:

I'm just so very thankful that I am able bodied enough not to worry about things like this!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Basic electrical knowledge and discharging a fire extinguisher should be prerequisites for graduating high school. Ive heard of people not retrieving and using an extinguisher because they're more afraid of firing it than they are of the fire.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Reminds me of this one from Indiana a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTHIhwwb3yA

Also I was waiting for the Plane to crash and the train to jumps the tracks

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

My hands-on fire extinguisher training got cancelled because some dick in the same building pulled a fire alarm.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

MrYenko posted:

Basic electrical knowledge and discharging a fire extinguisher should be prerequisites for graduating high school. Ive heard of people not retrieving and using an extinguisher because they're more afraid of firing it than they are of the fire.
Yeah, unless everyone's had hands on, fire extinguishers are somewhere between safety theater and an insurance numbers game. You still get an insurance break because hey who knows maybe someone who has used an extinguisher will be near when a fire breaks out. But if everyone's only seen the PASS powerpoint, the natural response is "now is not the time to learn how this extinguisher works." Or else they give it a try and end up getting fooled by some portion of the tamper seal, pin, or discharge mechanism because their brain is soaked in adrenaline.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

zedprime posted:

Yeah, unless everyone's had hands on, fire extinguishers are somewhere between safety theater and an insurance numbers game. You still get an insurance break because hey who knows maybe someone who has used an extinguisher will be near when a fire breaks out. But if everyone's only seen the PASS powerpoint, the natural response is "now is not the time to learn how this extinguisher works." Or else they give it a try and end up getting fooled by some portion of the tamper seal, pin, or discharge mechanism because their brain is soaked in adrenaline.

But it read to me that the Singapore people were unable to lift 10 lbs of fire extinguisher 1 cm. All the training (unless its fitness lol) wouldn't help them weak tits.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wish I had taken a photo of our condo maintenance guys clearing ice dams off the roof. Who needs a safety line when you are working on a snowy roof 20 feet up?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Darth123123 posted:

But it read to me that the Singapore people were unable to lift 10 lbs of fire extinguisher 1 cm. All the training (unless its fitness lol) wouldn't help them weak tits.

Child workers aren't that strong anyway.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

We had someone where I work bump a hanging fire extinguisher and have it fall onto his foot... While he was changing into his clean steel toe boots. Wound up being fine though.

The real kicker was when the safety guy decided to get pictures recreating the accident, down to taking his own safety toed boots off, only to nearly knock that extinguisher off the hook again. I don't think it hangs there anymore.

Our big class d extinguisher sits on the floor though, you could use it without moving it at all which is nice.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

GTA San Andreas taught me that you need to aim an extinguisher at the base of a fire, true story.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

mostlygray posted:

Though it is ridiculous and irresponsible to do such a thing, even a child could shoulder-check that door open. That's just mild steel screwed into mild steel.

As an emergency exit the biggest problem is that it doesn't have a whammy bar on it. Emergency exits should never have handles. It looks like it's drilled for it and has the appropriate wards on the outside.

:eng101: don't use your shoulder to break down a door!

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/04/08/how-to-break-down-a-door/

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

FIRST TIME posted:

GTA San Andreas taught me that you need to aim an extinguisher at the base of a fire, true story.

Dead to Rights taught me to wave it around in the general direction of the fire.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gorilla Salad posted:

Fail video with a few OSHA stuff, including what looks like a tanker creating some crude oil rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4vLlrftRBg&t=58s

The whole thing's worth watching, but check out the truck :stonk:

"And up through the ground came a bubblin' crude. Oil, that is. Black gold, Texas tea"

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

911? Send some cops this time.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Darth123123 posted:

That's it. Our extinguishers are mainly 9kg dry powder. Google tells me that's just under 20 pounds. We really should have smaller ones and more of them, but just putting them on the floor instead saved the company a tonne of money - which I'm pretty sure is how the change was able to happen at all.

Middle aged overweight unfit officeworkers in both Singapore and Australia had trouble lifting them. Also, trying to put this delicately, but the workers in Singapore are also a bit smaller in general.

Also there's the matter of pregnant people, disabled people, the elderly, someone with a broken arm, etc. All situations which could stop someone lifting a heavy bit of equipment without hurting themselves.

Some workers were also afraid of not being able to hold it up once it came off the hook and having it fall onto the ground and burst. Now, that would never happen, but safety equipment is no good to anyone if people are too scared to use it.

Everyone had training, but it didn't actually include taking the extinguishers off the wall. It was mostly training videos and the few times people got practical demonstrations it was in a car park where the extinguisher was already on the ground. And, of course, in any office environment the general policy is, "Don't touch poo poo unless you've been told to touch poo poo" so it's not like anyone was practising lifting the extinguishers up and down onto their hooks.

We're really lucky that Singapore had a really good team who not only identified the problem, they pushed really drat hard to have it fixed and had everyone else take a look at how they safety gear was stored.

Speaking of extinguishers bursting, here's a video of a fire at a Russian petrol station with the most impressive fire extinguisher I have ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDZk6xDKeNE&t=40s

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

quote:

Middle aged overweight unfit officeworkers in both Singapore and Australia had trouble lifting them.

quote:

20 pounds

what a country of weaklings holy poo poo

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Speaking of extinguishers bursting, here's a video of a fire at a Russian petrol station with the most impressive fire extinguisher I have ever seen.

Can't say it didn't put that fire right the gently caress out.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Gorilla Salad posted:

The problem comes when that child has been inhaling smoke from burning who-knows-what and is barely able to see, let alone move.

No emergency exit should be locked, ever.

I agree with you 100%. My main concern was with the lack of a bright red whammy bar with a standalone alarm.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the absence of sound, I can only assume that extinguisher had a 2-stroke motor he had to prime and start before :gizz:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Dead to Rights taught me to wave it around in the general direction of the fire.

Just another example of video games' poor influence on children. smdh

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm gonna guess that the entire nozzle assembly broke off. Maybe because of the icy cold weather or maybe abuse or maybe just it was made badly.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
no video but a while ago nearby me some workers were digging a trench or some poo poo and they caused a guys water heater to explode:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Utility-crews-find-gas-main-rupture-near-Royal-Oak-house-explosion/19125176

he was killed instantaneously but yikes

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Back that up a bit; you and your coworkers killed a dude?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

no video but a while ago nearby me some workers were digging a trench or some poo poo and they caused a guys water heater to explode:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/Utility-crews-find-gas-main-rupture-near-Royal-Oak-house-explosion/19125176

he was killed instantaneously but yikes

Jesus christ

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

And you say there's one of those in each house...?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

i am harry posted:

Look it up, pansy. The 30th Amendment guarantees us each the right to own a water heater. If you're so scared of my house having its God-given right, move!

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
This wouldnt have happened if that guy had a gun to stop random people in his neigborhood blowing poo poo up

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i am harry posted:

the article says it was a gas leak, there's not a single mention of a water heater

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's it. Our extinguishers are mainly 9kg dry powder. Google tells me that's just under 20 pounds. We really should have smaller ones and more of them, but just putting them on the floor instead saved the company a tonne of money - which I'm pretty sure is how the change was able to happen at all.

Middle aged overweight unfit officeworkers in both Singapore and Australia had trouble lifting them. Also, trying to put this delicately, but the workers in Singapore are also a bit smaller in general.

Also there's the matter of pregnant people, disabled people, the elderly, someone with a broken arm, etc. All situations which could stop someone lifting a heavy bit of equipment without hurting themselves.

Some workers were also afraid of not being able to hold it up once it came off the hook and having it fall onto the ground and burst. Now, that would never happen, but safety equipment is no good to anyone if people are too scared to use it.

Everyone had training, but it didn't actually include taking the extinguishers off the wall. It was mostly training videos and the few times people got practical demonstrations it was in a car park where the extinguisher was already on the ground. And, of course, in any office environment the general policy is, "Don't touch poo poo unless you've been told to touch poo poo" so it's not like anyone was practising lifting the extinguishers up and down onto their hooks.

We're really lucky that Singapore had a really good team who not only identified the problem, they pushed really drat hard to have it fixed and had everyone else take a look at how they safety gear was stored.

Lol if they can't pick up a 20 pound fire extinguisher they might deserve a little fire under their rear end. Unless you're hoverround fat or a Holocaust victim, that poo poo ain't heavy.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

i am harry posted:

Hot water tanks are usually only 40-50USgal. and have a TMP valve that lets loose under sufficient pressure, plus the hot and cold lines, plus the drain valve (which is usually plastic these days), plus the gas control unit which is threaded into the side of the tank. The TMP will blow first if anything. MythBusters rigged a tank to blow, but they basically had to weld shut and cap off everything, then leave only about 5USgal. of water sitting in the tank for it to build up enough pressure, since gas or vapour can be compressed, but liquids can't. The thing went up like a rocket.

Gas leaks, on the other hand, are rare. The Mercaptin reeks, and if you smell it then it's just starting to saturate the air. Natural gas' specific gravity is .6 atmospheres, lighter than air, so just open a window and try to hunt down the leak. Windex, or just a spray bottle of soapy water will do: spritz it on the threaded joints of your gas lines and look for bubbles to come pouring out. Above all, don't panic.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Fonzarelli posted:

why isn't this totally wrecking his thumb?

The saw blade isn't spinning, it's oscillating very rapidly. Your tissues oscillates with it, so it's unable to cut flesh. In hospitals, handheld saws like these are used to cut casts away from the body following a fracture.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lassitude posted:

The saw blade isn't spinning, it's oscillating very rapidly. Your tissues oscillates with it, so it's unable to cut flesh. In hospitals, handheld saws like these are used to cut casts away from the body following a fracture.

Not a saw, but I know that you can put a finger against a burr grinder and not get injured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_%28cutter%29

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lassitude posted:

That's ingenious.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slanderer posted:

Not a saw, but I know that you can put a finger against a burr grinder and not get injured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_%28cutter%29

You can put your finger against a lot of really dangerous looking stuff in the shop, and nothing bad happens. You really shouldn't, but you can. Just for the love of gently caress stay away from table saws, planers, lathes, and milling machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Ugh. What a hack job.

Regarding fire extinguisher training - we had it at work, and one of the thing emphasized was that the fire extinguishers were there to stop small things like a fire in a trash can, or a small piece of equipment. We were ordered that if there was a big fire, like a room was engulfed, to forget the extinguisher and get out. We were also advised that if we chose to "play fireman" in a situation like that, we could be punished up to termination. It does make sense.

Also, one of the manuals for a medium-voltage drive (sort of like a dimmer switch but thousands of times larger) at work warns if you see smoke or flames coming from the drive, press the e-stop (on the drive) and don't use water to fight the fire. If the drive was on fire there's no way in hell I would walk up to it and press the e-stop.

• Locked thread