Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

kingcom posted:

Ice cream man saved the Rebel Alliance.

I thought this was a joke. :catstare:

It isn't. :stare::stare::stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Everblight posted:

Honestly, other than Corran Horn, the galaxy's best everything-ever Mary Sue, the X-Wing books are the least cringe-inducing entries into the EU, mostly on the back of not having anyone from the movies in them except for Wedge and Ackbar.

Unless you count the Brian Daley Han Solo Adventures from the early 80s, which are darn good pulp novels.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, those are still some of my favorite Star Wars books.

Gallandro, a man so awesome they made an entire specialization just for him in Fly Casaul. :allears:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

EXPANDED UNIVERRRRRRRSSSSSSE :argh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, don't disrespect Wilrow!

Anyway, what's everyone's speculations for the Technician and Bounty Hunter books? I'm expecting plenty of fun gear from both (particularly the bounty hunter book, those guys always have loads of sweet gadgets.) but I have absolutely no idea what kind of new specs we're gonna see.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Maybe some kind of gun wizard type for the bounty hunter, all about taking disabling shots and special actions with them?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Bounty Hunter will get some sort of poisoner, I'd bet. They'll probably also get a melee spec of some sort.

Technician might get an Outlaw Tech sorta juryrigging spec, barring that I could see them getting some sort of EM warfare agent or something?

I'm more curious as to what the Bounty Hunter's Signature Abilities will be.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I keep forgetting about Signature Abilities! We finally have them for one of my IRL game's characters, so I hope we get to see them in play soon...

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Bounty Hunter will get some sort of poisoner, I'd bet. They'll probably also get a melee spec of some sort.

Technician might get an Outlaw Tech sorta juryrigging spec, barring that I could see them getting some sort of EM warfare agent or something?

I'm more curious as to what the Bounty Hunter's Signature Abilities will be.

I'm almost certain one will be a "get out of certain death offscreen" power, Boba Fett and the Sarlacc style. The other one will be a tracking ability, like the Explorer's Unexpected Discovery but with targets instead of places.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Have the Verpine been in a sourcebook so far? If not, they're basically guaranteed to be in the Technician book.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

How had would it be to refluff the game for Old Republic era play? A few friends of mine want to play, but hate the entirety of the film + EU timeline, and would rather play back during the KOTORs. Specifically we're thinking of doing Mandalorian War, I believe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endman posted:

Have the Verpine been in a sourcebook so far? If not, they're basically guaranteed to be in the Technician book.

Oooh, looking forward to that

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

KittyEmpress posted:

How had would it be to refluff the game for Old Republic era play? A few friends of mine want to play, but hate the entirety of the film + EU timeline, and would rather play back during the KOTORs. Specifically we're thinking of doing Mandalorian War, I believe.

You'll have to come up with new ships (or just use the stats and make up your own names and descriptions for them), but other than that it should work pretty well.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

KittyEmpress posted:

Storm Trooper = Sith Trooper
TIE Fighter = Sith Fighter
Blaster = Blaster
Star Destroyer = Sith NotStarDestroyer
Corellian Corvette = That corvette thing from the beginning of Kotor 1
YT-1300 = Dynamic Class Light Freighter (Ebon Hawk)
Bacta = Kolto

Etc etc etc, just relabel and reskin everything like KotOR itself basically did.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The key thing to remember is that absolutely nothing has changed in the tens of thousands of years between the beginning of the Republic and the rise of the Empire.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nothing important anyways. Maybe the blasters burn a bit hotter, the armor stops a bit better, the ships are a bit faster in hyperspace, but ultimately its equivalent.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
Yeah, nothing absolutely changes in between the settings except Jedi are more common and stealth generators are not rare.

It'll be a fun setting for a campaign though.

Endman
May 18, 2010

It really lends itself to the interpretation that ancient races like the Rakata did all the actual thinking when it came to technological progress in the galaxy, and after they fell over the galaxy has just been playing with the scraps of technology left that they don't fully understand ever since.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Lightsaber technology improved, they had battery packs and cords in Golden Age of the Sith, and they've been gradually mapping more hyperspace lanes. Technology does seem to change a lot in the years after the Galactic Civil War because the first instinct for military fiction writers, most of the EU, is to go all Tom Clancy with the details. The prequels were made by a manchild for children so the helmets clone troopers wear won't even fit a real person because no thought was put into most of the designs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Lightsaber technology improved, they had battery packs and cords in Golden Age of the Sith, and they've been gradually mapping more hyperspace lanes.

Yes, but for the purposes of the rules in FFG's games, those lightsabers would basically have the same stats, assuming the game is set in that era. That better lightsabers will exist later doesn't matter.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, but for the purposes of the rules in FFG's games, those lightsabers would basically have the same stats, assuming the game is set in that era. That better lightsabers will exist later doesn't matter.

If you cut the cable on someone's lightsaber, it shuts down. Contemporary, the other 4,000 years of Star Wars history, lightsabers don't have that problem.

EDIT: I had to edit 3,000 years to 4,000 years because the EU is that dumb in that regard.

Also, I'm sure if you shot the power pack on the lightsaber it would probably blow up too.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 26, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So if you cut a part of the lightsaber it breaks?

Golden Age of the Sith Game: You rolled a despair, the Sith slices the power cord to your lightsaber, it dies.
Empire Era Game: You rolled a despair, the Inquisitor slices off the tip of your lightsaber emitter, it dies.

Different flavoring for the same set of stats, is what I'm trying to say. Unless those battery cabled lightsabers run out of juice in minutes, they're still just lightsabers. You don't need to create a different set of stats for a Golden Age of Sith era game when the plain old lightsaber stats will do.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This is all true.

Star Wars has the most stagnant universe out of any sci-fi series ever. Even in 40K they're moving backwards, that's at least a direction.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I still find the little anachronisms of Star Wars hilarious. Like how in Episode 3 you see a starship gun crew firing what looks like a more spacey version of a canon out of a little window as if it's the 18th century.

You even see a little shell case pop out the back after they shoot. :allears:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
That's one of the few good parts of the prequels.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

We decided on what old republic time we're going for. Very start of the Mandalorian War, just after the battle of Althir ended in space, the might of Mandalorian ground invasion forces fighting the soldiers on the ground.

Players are playing Mandalorians, if you couldn't guess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Endman posted:

I still find the little anachronisms of Star Wars hilarious. Like how in Episode 3 you see a starship gun crew firing what looks like a more spacey version of a canon out of a little window as if it's the 18th century.

You even see a little shell case pop out the back after they shoot. :allears:

They had guns like that on the Death Star too. :v:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I ran a Mando War era game on another forum where the players were Mandolorian commandos on an infiltration mission just prior to the siege of Onderon. Used standard rules and just adjusted names and such, worked flawlessly.

A few of my one shot campaigns take place at various times during the Old Republic.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They had guns like that on the Death Star too. :v:

I have to feel for the poor bugger who built that set, only for it to have about 2 seconds of screen time...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

I have to feel for the poor bugger who built that set, only for it to have about 2 seconds of screen time...

2 seconds of screen time, an eternity immortalized in plastic in the Death Star playset on collectors' shelves.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I'm looking for some GM ideas for a campaign I'm running. The basic plot is that the players are attempting to salvage from a Star Destroyer that crashed onto an island in an aquatic planet, only its not an island, its a massive alien whale and they need to hurry before it submerges again. The outline I have is them landing on the "island" going in through the wrecked hangar bay, sneaking through to the reactor compartment to the hyperdrive engines, getting them to eject somehow, either through hacking or mechanical sabotage (for the purposes of this game I decided hyperdrives are buoyant because of technobabble) then up the tower to hit the computers to recover important Imperial data, then escape. I need ideas for extra encounters/objectives for them to pull off, and also I want you guys to tell me if you see any possible flaws/problems with this plan, these players are wont to go off the rails at the slightest provocation, so I need to see at least some of the curveballs coming.

edit: I forgot to mention that the Star Destroyer is full of survivors from the crash and traps from them against local wildlife.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 26, 2015

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TaurusTorus posted:

So I'm looking for some GM ideas for a campaign I'm running. The basic plot is that the players are attempting to salvage from a Star Destroyer that crashed onto an island in an aquatic planet, only its not an island, its a massive alien whale and they need to hurry before it submerges again. The outline I have is them landing on the "island" going in through the wrecked hangar bay, sneaking through to the reactor compartment to the hyperdrive engines, getting them to eject somehow, either through hacking or mechanical sabotage (for the purposes of this game I decided hyperdrives are buoyant because of technobabble) then up the tower to hit the computers to recover important Imperial data, then escape. I need ideas for extra encounters/objectives for them to pull off, and also I want you guys to tell me if you see any possible flaws/problems with this plan, these players are wont to go off the rails at the slightest provocation, so I need to see at least some of the curveballs coming.

They're gonna want to try and actually save the ISD and get it flying again, because hey, free ISD. Be sure to explicitly describe it as "not spaceworthy" unless you're ready for them to move hell and high water to get it in the air.

The Dianogas in the trash compactors might have gotten loose and are swarming around the ship free.

Might want to do an underwater section (possibly with them having to swim through a flooded compartment to get to the next air pocket), with local sharks for flavor. Basically if you aren't running "The Poseidon Adventure" as a Star Wars game I'm disappointed in you.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Everblight posted:

Basically if you aren't running "The Poseidon Adventure" as a Star Wars game I'm disappointed in you.

Never seen it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

TaurusTorus posted:

Never seen it.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? Go rent it immediately.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How long has this been crashed? Do the players know it's not an island? Do other people (smugglers, imperials, etc) know it's not an island? Do the players know how long they have before the creature sinks?

I'm thinking there's probably some juicy intelligence that the imperials are trying to protect, so you'll come across some of them on the ship. Some less than friendly smugglers/adventures would probably be there for the same reason the players are. Some people may not know that the "island" isn't an island, maybe they've set up camp in the wreckage. It'd make a great smuggler hide out, or a place for some weird luddite refugees to hide from the galaxy.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm thinking there's probably some juicy intelligence that the imperials are trying to protect, so you'll come across some of them on the ship. Some less than friendly smugglers/adventures would probably be there for the same reason the players are. Some people may not know that the "island" isn't an island, maybe they've set up camp in the wreckage. It'd make a great smuggler hide out, or a place for some weird luddite refugees to hide from the galaxy.

If it's AoR, it's juicy intelligence that the PCs need to act on right away!

If it's EotE, their payment was going to be the bulk of the selling price of the data, which turns out to say "PEACE ON EARTH."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It's not a whale, it's a giant amorphous jellyfish octopus that isn't necessarily going to submerge, but it is definitely actively trying to devour the ship (and it can). It does this via tentacles that ooze a biological acid that can break down most materials, except one relatively common type of material that your players would have to emergently discover is resistant to the acid. Maybe transparisteel. The acid isn't just for eating, it's also used to convert the surrounding seawater into an acidic enough environment for the creature's young, which bud off of it and are really aggro amoeboid creatures about 2m across with a thick membrane to hold them together but isn't thick enough to withstand high temperatures or sustained heavy blaster fire.

None of this is revealed until they start heading to the bridge, because the ISD inverted in the crash and the whole thing is upside down, so the bridge is partially submerged. Or maybe they assume that, but in actuality the leviathan rolled it over to more easily eat it. It looks like an island because the acidic ooze's environmental effect also attracts lots of sea algae and mosses, so they have rapidly overgrown to cover most of the ship and the leviathan. The algae and moss act as the food source for the offspring, or maybe it acts as bait for aquatic life that's more active, and then THAT is all food for the offspring.

The creature isn't sentient and operates on protozoan mindset on a ridiculously inverted scale. Have fun!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 26, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

Alright, adventure idea.

The players encounter a Verpine station deep in Wild Space. Here they encounter a Verpine Queen (I can't remember if the Verpine have queens, but whatever). She propositions the players with a deal. She is old and soon she'll die, she wants the players to transport her larval female offspring to a series of space stations and asteroid outposts in exchange for money/a ship/something valuable. Commence hilarious customs-dodging-bug-infesting adventure in space.

"Welcome to the exclusive rich-people only Wild Space asteroid resort. Would you please care to explain why your luggage is wriggling?"

"These aren't the bugs you're looking for~"

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
I feel like verpine come up a lot in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

That'd make more sense with Kiliks.