Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Having primarily used lance in 3U, I've been really enjoying the increased complexity of the charge blade. I do miss having a way to draw directly into a shield block though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elysiume posted:

Chargeblade flows incredibly well as a weapon, both in terms of its attacks and the charge/discharge mechanic. It's really satisfying to use.

Every time I think I'm doing good with it, I fall all over myself fighting a brachy or something. I'll figure it out eventually

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a story as to why Khezu doesn't have music when you fight it? Or is my game just bugging out

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It's blind, it can't see you, music only starts when a monster sees you.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Is there a story as to why Khezu doesn't have music when you fight it? Or is my game just bugging out

Nah, that's its theme. I think it's supposed to convey a sense of intensity since it's blind and deaf? Not 100% sure. I like making the joke that John Cage was resurrected to make a theme for Monster Hunter regardless.

EDIT: Oh gently caress you, Gore, ambushing me at the entrance to area 3.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 26, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Lame, I like the music in this game.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Lame, I like the music in this game.

Same, add it to the list of things I dislike about Khezu

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Does anyone know local multiplayer specifically will work between regions' version of the game (NA and Japan in my case) for MH4U?

I read that online multiplayer does not, but can't find any confirmation about local multiplayer stuff. I live in Asia and a lot of people I know grabbed the Japanese version cause they couldn't wait, but I already got a North American New 3DS, so that's what I'd be getting.

I'm guessing no, but can't find any place saying anything about it one way or the other.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

Does anyone know local multiplayer specifically will work between regions' version of the game (NA and Japan in my case) for MH4U?

I read that online multiplayer does not, but can't find any confirmation about local multiplayer stuff. I live in Asia and a lot of people I know grabbed the Japanese version cause they couldn't wait, but I already got a North American New 3DS, so that's what I'd be getting.

I'm guessing no, but can't find any place saying anything about it one way or the other.

Online totally works cross region barring Japan so I'd assume the same for local.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
In the past, Khezu being blind also meant you couldn't panic dive from it, making it pretty scary to fight! :eng101:

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015

Notorious QIG posted:

Having primarily used lance in 3U, I've been really enjoying the increased complexity of the charge blade. I do miss having a way to draw directly into a shield block though.

There's something even better - anytime you morph from sword to axe it acts as if you have your shield up, meaning taking a hit head-on while changing mode is safe.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Magna Kaser posted:

pretty sure someone in here had no luck playing locally between na and jp versions

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just tried out GS and LS after spending the entire time using CB, and while more simple, there's something less satisfying about them. The CB axe mode is dissatisfying to me because i'm bad at position the elemental discharges, so i was hoping to find something i could groove on that didn't have the axe mode i'm having a rough time with. GS and LS are not it, maybe switch axe will work.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Do palico armor stats even matter? I got tired of how the Luigi costume looked and am now just playing palico dressup because holy crap these are adorable. The Kut-Ku mask is amazing and I want to use it all the time.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Squidtamer DA posted:

Do palico armor stats even matter? I got tired of how the Luigi costume looked and am now just playing palico dressup because holy crap these are adorable. The Kut-Ku mask is amazing and I want to use it all the time.

Not until High Rank. After that you want to pay attention to their armor because Palico survivability drops FAST.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Squidtamer DA posted:

It wasn't until the last fight of low rank that I actually had my Palicos take enough damage to faint, and I'm pretty sure once you hit high rank new stuff opens up that obseletes the mario stuff anyway so go nuts. Hold onto that hammer tho because it rules -- I wish I had crafted 2 and skipped one of the armor pieces

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, sharpness in this game is a really bad system, especially for the blunt weapons. Pretty much all hammers only have a tiny sliver of green sharpness and then a big huge yellow sharpness bar, but what's annoying about it is that it doesn't gel with the game's mechanics at all. It makes sense from a logical perspective: It's a hammer, hammers don't have to be sharp because they're hammers. Blunt weapon = dull weapon by nature of the kind of tool it is, but in this game dull = bad in ALL cases, even if that's what the weapon excels at. There's a dissonance between blunt weapons being made to break poo poo off of monsters, and the sharpness system preventing that by not giving them enough sharpness to not be deflected without using a whetstone every five hits.

It's really frustrating because the game straight up tells you that sharp weapons are for chopping and blunt weapons are for smacking, but blunt weapons are bad at even smacking unless you religiously sharpen them to not be blunt! :geno:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sharpness as it stands is a bad system because mo sharpness mo better regardless because of weapon bounces (even if the attack has esp or you have fencing a bounce hit still does half damage) which makes S+1 effectively mandatory for a lot of weapons to be viable. S+1's much less of a pain to get than in other games in the series, but it (or edgemaster or any of the other combo skills with S+1 in them) is effectively a skill tax for a lot of blademaster weapons which is dumb as hell

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I haven't played a Monster Hunter since Tri, and when I did I don't think I was terribly good. My internet at the time made it a single player affair, and I didn't understand armor skills or the best way to use weapons and items in battle. That didn't stop me from being attracted to images of giant swords made of dinosaur bones and multiplayer hunts.

I've been bitten. I played the demo, I listened to GaijinHunter on the 8-4 Play podcast, and I watched videos of people who knew what they were doing. My body is ready. Unfortunately, my area is fresh out of MH4U copies, and my SD card doesn't have the room for it's 20,000 blocks of beast-maiming action. So I ordered from Amazon, hoping that they'll get a shipment before their projected date of mid-March. I'll also be playing on a vanilla 3DS until the New 3DS becomes available for $199 again. The idea that the only thing I can bring from the demo will be experience is bittersweet, but I've got to get my fix.

I'm guess I'm going to play Tri until my copy arrives.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Do Expeditions automatically scale their difficulty to match your story progress? I just got to High Rank and I like doing Expeditions but I don't wanna do them if they're still gonna be all Low Rank mats; when does that change?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

goferchan posted:

Do Expeditions automatically scale their difficulty to match your story progress? I just got to High Rank and I like doing Expeditions but I don't wanna do them if they're still gonna be all Low Rank mats; when does that change?

When you unlock High Rank expeditions.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Welp - beat Apex knife dragon and unlocked ten star quests (which I figure i'll tackle once my group gets to G-Rank). Very fun experience playing the solo campaign this time around as I was pretty much jump started in 3U.

The ten star egg delivery quest is hilarious. I saw what happened and was like 'nope'. I'll tackle that another day my friends.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress egg missions. I was doing the caravan 4 one, where the sleeping rathalos was guarding the eggs. Delivering that second egg was harder than breaking off the dragon's tail, busting his face up, and then capturing him. I think i had < 1:00 on the clock when I finally finished.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Emalde posted:

When you unlock High Rank expeditions.

You have to get to HR4 in the Online gathering hall quests to unlock HR Expeditions, right? And the HR4 quests unlock the various hunts for Guild Quest rewards?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Dammit Gore, keep the feelers out long enough for me to break them off I need my new SnS.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why do people farm Basarios?

I guess the armor looks cool but it just looks like it defends against sleep to me.

WTB Cosmetic slots :(

[e]Oh, razor gems. Got it.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 26, 2015

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Just got to G1 rank online :toot:

Dalamadur is a neat fight that can be really infuriating when you have a team that doesn't know the one gimmick he has that can 1-shot you and how to avoid it. Superman dodging through his stupid giant laser vortex. Ukanlos was a lot easier but still fun. G Rank sounds scary, gonna dive in tomorrow and see what happens.

ps. is there a good place to farm Dash Extract? I'm out of Vile Crystals to clone them and Kiranico says it's pretty much just Gypceros and p. Gypceros other than that am I really gonna have to fight those buttholes a hundred times to stockpile Mega Dash?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

God drat I'm so bad at GS but there's nothing as viscerally satisfying as it anymore, to me. :(

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i just made a greatsword that is a swordfish

i do not use gs but i had to make it anyway

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Zinogre gonna drop a plate or i swear to god his species is going extinct.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Crowbear posted:

Just got to G1 rank online :toot:

Dalamadur is a neat fight that can be really infuriating when you have a team that doesn't know the one gimmick he has that can 1-shot you and how to avoid it. Superman dodging through his stupid giant laser vortex. Ukanlos was a lot easier but still fun. G Rank sounds scary, gonna dive in tomorrow and see what happens.

ps. is there a good place to farm Dash Extract? I'm out of Vile Crystals to clone them and Kiranico says it's pretty much just Gypceros and p. Gypceros other than that am I really gonna have to fight those buttholes a hundred times to stockpile Mega Dash?

Is that the "intended" way to avoid his super laser, I know intended is a dumb word but I'm just really curious if there is another way.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Friend just linked me this, probably the best cheat sheet for enemy weaknesses/etc I've seen yet.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kmwE5fS

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Stormgale posted:

Is that the "intended" way to avoid his super laser, I know intended is a dumb word but I'm just really curious if there is another way.

I'm not sure, honestly. I haven't found a reliable safe spot and dodging it with the regular roll is super hard (impossible?) without Evade+ skilled.

Rascyc posted:

Friend just linked me this, probably the best cheat sheet for enemy weaknesses/etc I've seen yet.

http://imgur.com/gallery/kmwE5fS

Looking over that it's really crazy how many more fire enemies there are than any other element. It's nice knowing that I've already beaten all 4 fights where my Diablos armor's ice weakness could be a problem.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 26, 2015

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

expedition monsters running away is the most goddamn annoying thing

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Ok so where on a zinorge is considered a tail carve because man i really want to fight something else.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Sure feels great fighting the two most unfun and unfair monsters (Black Gravios and Azure Rathalos) in the game back to back.

Seregios is awesome. Unlike Azure Rathalos, he's an aerial battle done right. I'll craft his armour next even though I'll miss looking like a spiky crab luchador.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Haruharuharuko posted:

Ok so where on a zinorge is considered a tail carve because man i really want to fight something else.

You have to cut his tail off then carve the bloodied stump on the ground

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Haruharuharuko posted:

Cut the tail off first, then carve it.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Haruharuharuko posted:

It's a bonus carve for cutting off the tail and carving the piece that gets left behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Intoluene posted:

It's a bonus carve for cutting off the tail and carving the piece that gets left behind.

...gently caress. Well that would explain the 20 or so kills without getting it. :gbsmith:

edit: got it first try one tail thanks!

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 26, 2015

• Locked thread