Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

rio posted:

How do you all decide what pen to use when you have several to many? I have 10, which I know is less than a lot of you guys, but I have to keep them all inked because I can never decide which to use. Do you go in rotations or something?

My job involves writing and editing documentation, QA testing, two bosses I answer to directly who give nonsensical and contradictory instructions, collaborating with engineers in India, and managing clients. I actually have to keep buying new pens so I can have more colors of ink ready to distinguish between different revisions, corrections, and comments. (Also I love inks)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

stimulated emission posted:

For my birthday, as a part of my present, my boyfriend ended up giving me his first pen (a Cross something or other) and a bottle of Noodlers Rome Burning since my favorite color is olive (and purple, which is the color the ink turns when exposed to water). This pen has a M nib on it and I'm really enjoying how consistent everything is, to echo other people in here. I'm already looking into getting F or EF pens since I dont think this one has exchangeable nibs.

Depending on the model, you might be in luck

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM
I bought a Pilot Penmanship that worked fine for a day but is now having trouble starting. Any advice?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

NeurosisHead posted:

The time table on the follow up is unfortunate, but that they'll do it for free is good. It would be better if they didn't have to do it at all, but that's irrelevant now. You can buy a replacement nib unit in any size from EF to 1.5mm from Goulet for $20 if you're feeling impatient.

e: now that I think about it, they're trying to get the Eco out in a couple of months, I'm not surprised that there's some component shortages for their previous models while they focus on the launch of a new product line in the last stages.

Ah that makes sense. Also I'm a big stupid dumby for not checking goulet for a replacement, but I've already spend a pile of money on a pen so I'll wait for TWSBI to send me one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Decided to skip the Japanese pen and got a Parker 45 with a fine point 14k nib instead.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Does anyone know of some quick-drying inks in "weird" or "fun" colors that aren't made by Private Reserve? The girlfish is looking for an ink to use at work on thermal paper, and her boss is Officially Unamused by the drying time of the inks she's using (Noodler's Polar Black and Dragon's Napalm and Pelikan Edelstein Amber), but everything in the Goulet fast-drying section is either "boring" or Private Reserve (which she is not a fan of).

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Quick question: I bought a Parker converter, because I was utterly convinced it was a DIN standard converter (looked the same, and I got it off amazon by following the "People who bought this also bought" link off a Pilot MR, which is DIN standard). However, while very similar to the standard, it's a little bit too large, and it doesn't form a seal with DIN pens.

Did I get a defective converter, or did I goof up and order the wrong one? I'm tending towards the latter, but I wanted to make sure.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mikl posted:

Quick question: I bought a Parker converter, because I was utterly convinced it was a DIN standard converter (looked the same, and I got it off amazon by following the "People who bought this also bought" link off a Pilot MR, which is DIN standard). However, while very similar to the standard, it's a little bit too large, and it doesn't form a seal with DIN pens.

Did I get a defective converter, or did I goof up and order the wrong one? I'm tending towards the latter, but I wanted to make sure.

You got the wrong converter. Parker pens don't use international standard cartridge/converters

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Except, the MR is a Metro that accepts standard international...

stimulated emission
Apr 25, 2011

D-D-D-D-D-D-DEEPER

blowfish posted:

Depending on the model, you [url=]might be in luck[/url]

I did some research and it looks like an AT0156S-1MS, so I'm assuming the ATX nib should fit. :) Thanks!

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Remora posted:

Does anyone know of some quick-drying inks in "weird" or "fun" colors that aren't made by Private Reserve? The girlfish is looking for an ink to use at work on thermal paper, and her boss is Officially Unamused by the drying time of the inks she's using (Noodler's Polar Black and Dragon's Napalm and Pelikan Edelstein Amber), but everything in the Goulet fast-drying section is either "boring" or Private Reserve (which she is not a fan of).

I've never had drying issues with J. Herbin or Noodler's, but I'm also a righty and I have calligraphy experience, so I may have different standards for quick-dry.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Slimchandi posted:

It's also not a Parker, and amazon's "others bought this" suggestions really shouldn't be taken to mean compatibility with any other given product.

Remora posted:

You mean thermal paper like for receipts and the like? Because fountain pen ink really doesn't work well with that at all — even days later if I've scribbled something on a gas station receipt it'll smudge at least a bit. Even fast-drying ink assumes the paper's at least a little absorbent, so the ink can bond with it, rather than just sorta sit on top.

If you really wanted to write on that sort of paper with a fountain pen, a drier/finer pen/ink combo would probably be the quickest to dry to the point where it probably wouldn't transfer to another paper placed on top of it, but even then it'll still probably smudge if you messed with it. For reference, I found an old receipt from last June, and rubbing my thumb on the stuff I'd written on it (in June) smudged it a bit — not enough to make it illegible, but enough to notice. Of course, it also smudged just a touch less than the receipt I'd written on yesterday. I think that one dried out enough to not smudge when folded in the 5–10 minutes it took me from the gas station to back home, for what it's worth. The June receipt was J. Herbin, and yesteday's was a Noodler's blue-black they don't make anymore.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Well, poo poo. I'll let her know, then. Thanks!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

grack posted:

You got the wrong converter. Parker pens don't use international standard cartridge/converters

Yep, figured as much.

A good excuse as any to start considering a Parker pen, though. The rabbit-hole only goes deeper :retrogames:

Zenostein posted:

It's also not a Parker, and amazon's "others bought this" suggestions really shouldn't be taken to mean compatibility with any other given product.

Learned that the hard way, from now on I'll be more careful.

...Thinking about it, is there a resource that lists pens / brands and gives the cartridge/converter type? It would be really useful, and I'd be surprised if one didn't exist.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Remora posted:

Rohrer and Klingner Scabiosa. It's a modern iron gall ink (very quick drying) and in a nice purple.

Slimchandi posted:

I have no idea what the point of this comment is.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Keep in mind that iron gall inks can be really, really hard on nibs and feeds.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

This really isn't true for modern iron gall inks except with certain Lamy pens.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

This really isn't true for modern iron gall inks except with certain Lamy pens.

I disagree. It's pretty acidic, and I've seen first hand what it can do to a pilot metro nib over about 6 months. Iron gall is acidic and is rough on steel (gold is mostly ok though, being corrosion resistant), and some bright inks (baystate from Noodler's) are really alkaline, and rough on plastics and celluloids.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

grack posted:

I have no idea what the point of this comment is.

Yep, sorry, misread. Long day.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Because I have somewhat more disposable income than sense, I've bought another pen from Greg Minuskin. I broke out my lathe a few weeks ago after years put away and started faffing about with the idea of turning my own pens. This got me interested in bladder filled pens, which got me interested in classic pens, which made me realize that these things are just wonderful. I feel like I've found a new rabbit hole, and just dived the gently caress on in with both feet.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

Only if you decide to leave it in there for months :v:

If the person practices proper FP maintenance they will be fine. I speak this as someone who loves IG inks and their colors too.

The only bad ink is india ink as they can damage your pens.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

NeurosisHead posted:

I disagree. It's pretty acidic, and I've seen first hand what it can do to a pilot metro nib over about 6 months. Iron gall is acidic and is rough on steel (gold is mostly ok though, being corrosion resistant), and some bright inks (baystate from Noodler's) are really alkaline, and rough on plastics and celluloids.

So does this mean that adding some acidic component to BSB would change some of the more problematic aspects of the ink or is it way more complicated than that?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

So does this mean that adding some acidic component to BSB would change some of the more problematic aspects of the ink or is it way more complicated than that?

It's not that simple. There are a lot of components to ink and adding something reactive can have unintentional side effects.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Nathan already adds an unbelievable amount of poo poo to his inks, particularly a shitload of surfactant IIRC. Any of it could react with whatever you add.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Would you say his inks are unstable?

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

As unstable as Nathan himself!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Personal experience: I have a bottle of Fuyu-gaki which I wanted to try and make a bit darker, so I tried mixing it with Noodler's Black.

One full DIN-standard cartridge of Fuyu-gaki (pretty lively orange) plus half a drop of Black makes... Black ink, with juuuuust barely a hint of orange around the edges when it dries :v:

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

His inks strike me as the kind of liquids that hoard weapons and hide every time they see a black helicopter.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of Nathan himself.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

For mixing inks I will only mix inks that don't have any unique properties and only the same brand. For example, I had OS Nickel which was too light for anything but I added 1/4 of OS Jules Verne so now it's a dark turquoise ink color. Not a huge fan of mixing colors in general as not sure what I can do with it if I dislike the combined colors.

FWIW:I own HoD, Starry Night, and Steel Blue no problems reported from either inks too.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Lord Girlyman posted:

His inks strike me as the kind of liquids that hoard weapons and hide every time they see a black helicopter.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of Nathan himself.

God drat that guy is nuttier than squirrel poo poo but I've had a lot of fun with his pens and inks.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Nathan Tardif is a beautiful man who is existentially terrified of people washing his checks and can only express his emotions by making a new ink. :allears:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

If I want to get the gilded inks like stormy grey and rouge hematite or w/e, what do I do to keep the gold flakes from clogging everything? Just use the pen frequently?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cobalt impurity posted:

Nathan Tardif is a beautiful man who is existentially terrified of people washing his checks and can only express his emotions by making a new ink. :allears:

Banks cash checks, not wash them.

He reminds me of General Ripper's precious bodily fluids paranoia. If it isn't some mail thief trying to steal your identity, then it's THE JBANKS trying to sap and impurity your precious legal tender.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev1fVQFT0cE

Down the rabbit hole we go.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-FpVSf8udI

The last few minutes of this one are certainly a thing.

Rudeboy Detective fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 25, 2015

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Xun posted:

If I want to get the gilded inks like stormy grey and rouge hematite or w/e, what do I do to keep the gold flakes from clogging everything? Just use the pen frequently?

I got a couple of different cheap pens (an Ahab and Jinhao x750) to use with them. That way I've got pressure fit nibs and feeds, interchangeable #6 nibs, and internals that I can fully disassemble for cleaning. The converter on the x750 can be a bit of a pain, but it's not too bad.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Xun posted:

I haven't played with my stormy grey much but I keep rouge hematite in a cheapy noodler. I made sure to agitate the bottle before loading, and I turn the pen upside down gently a few times before writing with it and the copper effect has been really wonderful. My pen needs a good cleaning before I reload it as there is a tendency for residue buildup, but otherwise I'm happy with the results.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

You stay classy, Montblanc.

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/east-asia/story/montblanc-sell-pens-made-japans-pine-tree-survives-2011-tsunami-20150226

quote:

TOKYO (AFP) - Luxury marque Montblanc is to sell fountain pens made from a "miracle pine" tree that survived the 2011 tsunami, for a hefty US$4,400 (S$5,963), an official said, with just 20 per cent of takings donated to local people.

The news comes as Japan readies to mark the fourth anniversary of a disaster that claimed more than 19,000 lives and made tens of thousands of people homeless as it wreaked untold economic damage.

It also sparked the world's worst atomic accident in a generation, forcing tens of thousands of people from their homes, many of whom remain displaced, often in poorly insulated temporary housing.

The Swiss pen and watch maker has used wood from the only tree left standing when a forest of 70,000 was flattened in Rikuzentakata, on Japan's stricken north-eastern coast.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

:laffo:

e:

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/0311disaster/recovery/AJ201502260029 posted:

RIKUZENTAKATA, Iwate Prefecture--A memorial pen made from branches of the “miracle pine tree” that survived the 2011 tsunami was displayed on Feb. 25 with a whopping price tag of 481,000 yen ($4,040).

The fountain pen, produced by German luxury writing instruments and jewelry maker Montblanc, was commissioned by the city of Rikuzentakata, which was devastated by the Great East Japan Earthquake and tsunami.

It will go on sale on March 11, the fourth anniversary of the disaster.

During a news conference in the city on Feb. 25, Montblanc International CEO Jerome Lambert said that while Europe is geographically far from Tohoku, its people are always with the disaster victims in spirit.

The company will donate 20 percent of the earnings to the city to help with reconstruction efforts.

The so-called miracle pine tree was the only one among 70,000 pine trees in the famed Takata Matsubara forest to survive the more than 13-meter-high tsunami waves.

It became a much-needed symbol of hope for victims of the disaster, but it later died due to saline contamination from the seawater.

However, in a project that cost 150 million yen, the city preserved the tree in July 2013 by inserting a pole through the trunk.

It then asked Montblanc to make memorial products using the tree’s discarded branches so that they would not go to waste.

The company manufactured the memorial pen in Germany, using the pine tree in its body and cap. An engraving on the writing tool reads “Rikuzentakata 11/03/2011.”

A total of 113 pens will be sold to commemorate the date of the disaster.

Rikuzentakata Mayor Futoshi Toba noted that the pine tree was among the few things that gave residents hope in the desperate days following the disaster.

“With Montblanc’s support, we hope this memorial pen will help people around the world understand the disaster,” Toba said.

:psypop:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 26, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Jesus, a 1.5 million dollar project to preserve a tree. Is that pole made out of solid gold or something? Or maybe it's made out its own branches :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

We're always with the disaster victims in spirit.

Only in spirit, though, because donating more than a fifth of the proceeds would just be too charitable.