Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

If his only exposure to euros is Agricola then I can kind of understand where he's coming from.

Oh, I understand where he's coming from: very limited exposure to board games and not much time spent thinking. What's sad is his willingness, in spite of that limited knowledge, to jump publicly to a conclusion like "Eurogames Are Inherently Single-Player Games" - and based on the following evidence:

1. He likes playing Agricola solo

That's the end of his case, as far as I can see. He does bring up some convincing counterpoints, which he then dismisses in hopelessly circular fashion. Like, it doesn't matter that other people (experts!) pay attention to their opponents in Agricola and demonstrably do better because of that. Why? Because that's not what these games are inherently about - obviously. I mean, when he plays, any interaction is "unwitting" (not hard to believe) and "annoying". The people he plays with sometimes try to be social. These games are too dense for that. Not for the people he plays with, obviously, but for him. And because it's true for him, that means it's an inherent property of not just the game, but the whole genre. (You might not think of Eurogames as a genre, but that's because you don't know the true inherent core of Eurogames):

quote:

This is because the core, central idea of Euros is “building a machine”. You take elements from the middle, buy them with resources, and add them to your machine which makes it bigger and more productive.

I mean, maybe there's games people call Eurogames that don't follow this pattern, but that doesn't matter - because inherently, obviously those aren't Euro games (which is to say: single player games where you buy things from the center with resources). Clearly this is all the case, because otherwise why would he like playing Agricola solo?

My dad could write a similarly insightful piece on "rap music" or "modern art".

jmzero fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'd love to see a computer/mobile implementation of COIN with automated AI.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

EBag posted:

I just picked up Dominant Species, supposed the be the 4th printing, but looking at the box it shows the old brown board on the back rather than the Ice board. I really wanted to get the updated art, can anyone who has the 3rd edition confirm the box just uses the old art?

Yep. It's the old art on the box.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Great thank you.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

If you are not shooting the poo poo or having fun with friends while playing the game, you are doing it wrong. Seriously it's at least half of what makes board gaming fun. I play a ton of Agricola on my phone, but it's just not the same as having real people with you or the wood and cardboard at your finger tips. You just can't get that while playing computer games.

I don't know if that makes me weird or what, but that's why I love this hobby.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bubble-T posted:

It could always be worse, we could have only video game designers for our critics.

http://keithburgun.net/why-eurogames-are-inherently-single-player-games/

Building a machine when you're fighting other people over the same pool of parts is distinctly different from just chilling and putting it together on your own. This guy clearly very much enjoys the Minecrafty sandbox element of putting something together. He reminds me of the Galaxy Trucker hater stories that pop up in the thread, where people enjoy the building much, much more than the trucking. I can understand it even if I disagree.

I personally enjoy the elements of people messing my poo poo up because it forces me to shift my plan and anticipate others' actions. I don't end up with an incomplete engine. I just end up with a different one from the one I pictured at the start. The social factor is also very much there for me. Maybe it could be considered a flaw, but I do take it kind of personally when someone takes my loving sheep that rear end in a top hat.

Speaking of player interaction and Uwe Rosenberg, has anyone tried Glass Road? It's kind of far down my list of wants but it definitely intrigues me. The sort of bluffing card mechanic combined with a traditional economic engine builder looks pretty fun.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 26, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Gimnbo posted:

Building a machine when you're fighting other people over the same pool of parts is distinctly different from just chilling and putting it together on your own. This guy clearly very much enjoys the Minecrafty sandbox element of putting something together. He reminds me of the Galaxy Trucker hater stories that pop up in the thread, where people enjoy the building much, much more than the trucking. I can understand it even if I disagree.

Yeah. It's fine to have that taste but he's excluding the multiplayer parts of these games, defining the rest of it as "what the game is about", and then stating that they would work better single player. Well, no poo poo. If you define Agricola as a game exclusively about building stuff then naturally the rest of the game is going to feel unnecessary.

jmzero posted:

Oh, I understand where he's coming from: very limited exposure to board games and not much time spent thinking.

He's played quite a few games apparently: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/keithburgun?comment=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

His comments and posts don't add up to anything consistent, I think deep down he just wants a game that's not too hard, doesn't have other people messing him up and gives him a shiny star when he completes the challenge.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Keith Burgun on Caylus posted:

Anyway, should be single player.

Oh, wow.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anyone got a link to the goon BGG guild?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

S.J. posted:

Anyone got a link to the goon BGG guild?

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/2133

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Some Numbers posted:

I like the blog a lot, but I have one minor correction. BSG is best with exactly 5 unless you own Daybreak, at which point, 6 players becomes the best number.

Unfortunately I haven't played Daybreak! If I had, I might have included a paragraph about it, but I'm really aiming to get people looking at boardgames they hadn't considered before, and talking about expansions at that point seems premature.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Some of the players that I've played Agricola with in the past will eat you alive if you just try to focus on your own engine and don't take into account what other people are doing. Saying that Caylus should be a single player game is criminal, however. I can't even begin to understand how boring a single player Caylus would be. Guy is nutty and knows gently caress all about boardgames.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gimnbo posted:

Speaking of player interaction and Uwe Rosenberg, has anyone tried Glass Road? It's kind of far down my list of wants but it definitely intrigues me. The sort of bluffing card mechanic combined with a traditional economic engine builder looks pretty fun.

I've played it, and I won't play it again. It's just a basic point salad game with one neat mechanic, and the winner is the person whose turn 1 strategy best matches the completely random tile draws in later turns.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Jedit posted:

I've played it, and I won't play it again. It's just a basic point salad game with one neat mechanic, and the winner is the person whose turn 1 strategy best matches the completely random tile draws in later turns.

Played it twice in one convention, liked it quite a bit, won't ever play it again!

Yeah it's very forgettable, I'd much rather just play a 4p game of Agricola since I rarely get to play more than 2.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Puerto Rico is another one which doesn't make any sense to play solo, it's super interactive.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also I find it funny that he he as to expend so much brainpower on trying to figure out what to do in a game that he is completely unable to socialize because of it. I dread to think how boring it would be to play 18XX with that guy, and if he actually would get annoyed at the boisterous atmosphere filled with friendly insults and jokes that routinely happens when I play with my 18XX group.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Durendal posted:

If you are not shooting the poo poo or having fun with friends while playing the game, you are doing it wrong. Seriously it's at least half of what makes board gaming fun. I play a ton of Agricola on my phone, but it's just not the same as having real people with you or the wood and cardboard at your finger tips. You just can't get that while playing computer games.

I don't know if that makes me weird or what, but that's why I love this hobby.

This is precisely why I prefer boardgaming to computer gaming. I played a lot of MMOs in highschool and when I got all of my socializing from the internet it made me (and others) into complete weirdo shut-ins. Board gamers may be nerdy and often weirdos themselves but at least they manage to get out of the house once in a while.

The second biggest draw of the hobby is of course emergency preparedness. The modern world is scary; a North Korean EMP bomb could cripple the entire continent of America with no notice. Or maybe a solar flair; or simple civil disturbances take out the power! Oh no! When there are no iPads and no Xboxs, no kindles or gameboys then the man with with Agricola set will be king :twisted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What's a good $15-$20 game to grab to help pad out my CSI order of Dungeon Petz and Argent: The Consortium? Especially something that's not worker placement because I've been buying a lot of those recently.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Mega64 posted:

What's a good $15-$20 game to grab to help pad out my CSI order of Dungeon Petz and Argent: The Consortium? Especially something that's not worker placement because I've been buying a lot of those recently.

CoB?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Rutibex posted:

The second biggest draw of the hobby is of course emergency preparedness. The modern world is scary; a North Korean EMP bomb could cripple the entire continent of America with no notice. Or maybe a solar flair; or simple civil disturbances take out the power! Oh no! When there are no iPads and no Xboxs, no kindles or gameboys then the man with with Agricola set will be king :twisted:

This is the best reason for playing board games. Anything else is just pretence.

Also, regarding Dominion/Dominion clone chat: It think a lot of the reason there is a clone market is that people like me feel that deckbuilding is a great mechanic, but not a great game. Dominion has pretty much no visible gamestate, except how much has been bought from each stack, which only tells you how far into the game you are, not who's doing what. I need something out there that tells me how everyone is doing in some way. Star Realms fulfils this desire pretty much by influence/HP and bases: I have more HP than the opponent, this means I am winning. I am happy Or I have no HP, which means by more bases/HP giving stuff. In Dominion, I can go "yeah, there's not a lot of provinces left, game's about to end", but it doesn't really tell me anything about who's doing well, I have to remember every card everyone has bought basically, and that is unattractive to me. Building a game on top of the deckbuilding mechanic pretty much cheapens the mechanic and the balance and so on, which is why every drat Dominion clone is worse mechanically, while simultaneously being more enjoyable to people like me.

Incidentally, the gamestate is also why euros are not best single player. You should react to whatever's out there, and that requires other players to change in most designs. Mage Knight does changing gamestate without using players, but that's a rare feat really.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Rutibex posted:

And a single game of Talisman can ride out nuclear winter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega64 posted:

Canceling your order would be forgivable. Petz is the Chvatil game that even many Chvatil fans dislike, while Argent is Anime Hogwarts: the Worker Placement Game and everything in it was done before in Age of Empires III or Archon: Glory and Machination.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In some ways, a nuclear apocalypse would be Agricola: The LARP

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Jedit, have you played either of those games and would you elaborate on what makes them not worth buying? I am honestly curious what you disliked about Dungeon Petz especially, beyond vague allusions that 'even Vlaada fans don't like it' (you got mixed up with Tash-Kalar btw, that's the Vlaada that a lot of Vlaada fans don't like).

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
The selling point of Argent seems to be that it brings multiple tried-and-tested mechanics together to make a difficult game, rather than claiming to invent something new. I'd be interested to see the criticism of that (genuinely interested: I've not played it or read much about it!)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

What is CoB? Only thing I can think of is Castles of Burgundy, and my friend already owns that one.

I recall there being good words about Samurai Spirit. Is it worth a purchase?

e: I see the Dungeon Petz expansion is also in stock. Is it also rare enough to go ahead and grab now?

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 26, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rutibex posted:

space alert nooooo

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It is pretty shallow, but I find it fun. I like the Pandemic dice game better though for a short rules co-op that plays in 30ish mins.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mega64 posted:

Maybe some filler? Red7 + No Thanks?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Next to Space Alert, Dungeon Petz is my second favorite Vlaada.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I like dungeon crawl-type board games. Are there any good recommendations?

Specific things I like;

-Games where one player takes the "dungeon master" role and is actively controlling the monsters.
-Games where the board is gradually revealed through exploration instead of laid out at the start.
-Games with actual game pieces that make the board feel busy and like stuff is actually happening. Cardboard tiles representing monsters and set pieces depress me.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to be 10 years old again and I want another HeroQuest.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Specific things I like;

-Games where one player takes the "dungeon master" role and is actively controlling the monsters.
-Games where the board is gradually revealed through exploration instead of laid out at the start.
-Games with actual game pieces that make the board feel busy and like stuff is actually happening. Cardboard tiles representing monsters and set pieces depress me.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to be 10 years old again and I want another HeroQuest.

I've really been enjoying Imperial Assault so far. It's basically Descent 2.5 with a Star Wars theme, and you know there's going to be lots and lots of expansion support for it.

- Up to 4 players play the Rebel heroes, and 1 player plays the Imperials.
- Instead of revealing the board as it goes, the campaign missions are broken up into ~1 hour bits, and you're meant to play 2 or 3 in one session. So you see part 1 of the mission, part 2, part 3, etc, but not all at once. Also the Imperial's deployment points move as the Rebels progress, and the Imperial player gets to reveal more reinforcements as it goes. Progress carries over from one to the next.
- Really nice miniatures.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 26, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jamesman posted:

Specific things I like;

If you want it to work with three or more players, your best bet is still the dubiously-balanced Descent 2e. If you don't care if it's only two-player, what you're looking for instead is Claustrophobia.

Edit Or Imperial Assault, yeah. :eng99:

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Speaking of Imperial Assault, how much do you lose out if you play through the campaign missions with a different play group every week? Is it like Risk Legacy where that totally defeats the purpose of running a campaign? Or like say the Space Alert expansion where it's pretty flexible?

My friend who owns the game just intends to bring it to our regularly scheduled game night and play with whoever happens to show up that day. It's probably not what I would do if I owned the game, but is it bad enough that I should warn him he's shooting himself in the foot?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jedit posted:

Canceling your order would be forgivable. Petz is the Chvatil game that even many Chvatil fans dislike, while Argent is Anime Hogwarts: the Worker Placement Game and everything in it was done before in Age of Empires III or Archon: Glory and Machination.

You should just respond to stuff with "I hate vlaada games" so people know what you're doing. Tash Kalar probably has the most conflicting views since it's pretty radically different from the rest of his stuff, and abstract and poo poo.

Mega64 posted:

What is CoB? Only thing I can think of is Castles of Burgundy, and my friend already owns that one.

e: I see the Dungeon Petz expansion is also in stock. Is it also rare enough to go ahead and grab now?

I had a really hard time finding the Dungeon Petz expansion so if you like the game you may want to just grab it right away

StashAugustine posted:

space alert nooooo

You can play the game soundtrackless via timers and such, and sand won't be ruined by EMP. Bust out your 1/2/3 minute timers!

Jamesman posted:

Specific things I like;

Mansions of Madness? Be aware it is peak FFG. That's a really tough category to fill with good games.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 26, 2015

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Sloober posted:

Mansions of Madness? Be aware it is peak FFG.

I thought peak FFG was Android?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What sucks is that there are so many games that ALMOST get there. Like Descent has dungeonmaster, miniatures, etc, but no exploration. Ditto the D&D adventure games. Dungeonquest has exploration, but no monster miniatures or dungeonmaster. Mice & Mystics has no dungeonmaster. Claustrophobia is strictly 1 vs 1. It's really weird because it seems like everyone is trying as hard as they can to make a Heroquest game that's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Heroquest.

Paper Kaiju posted:

I thought peak FFG was Android?

Got to be Arkham Horror.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

He's played quite a few games apparently: https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/keithburgun?comment=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

His comments and posts don't add up to anything consistent, I think deep down he just wants a game that's not too hard, doesn't have other people messing him up and gives him a shiny star when he completes the challenge.

Oh, wow. I'm trying to imagine how sad that gaming group must be after reading a bunch of these. How has he rated so many games and yet he likes so few?

quote:

7 Wonders (2010)
After playing this a good 20-30 times, I'm actually growing very skeptical of this kind of "drafting game". It's good at presenting the illusion of strategy, not actual strategy. It is a party game. A good party game, but a party game nonetheless.

Party game is a pejorative, check. Also, he's played a '5' 20-30 times? Dayum!

quote:

Agricola (2007)

It's somewhere between Puerto Rico and a dumb party game. Overall it's fun, but WAY too much poo poo.

Agricola the party game! :toot:

quote:

Android: Netrunner (2012)

Initial response after about 8 plays - this is WAY too random and stupid to be played by adult brains, yet, it's so complex that you need an adult brain to really learn how to play. Too much content, with way more on the way. Too many huge windfall mechanisms - like attacking the guy's R&D, especially with that card that lets you draw 3? That could potentially win you the game right then and there. Horrible.

I'm giving it a 4 instead of a 1 because it's playable and it has a good presentation and it has some actually really nice mechanisms. Just too bad it's so random and has so much chaff.

This sucks. 3 is generous.

WAY too random and stupid to be played by adult brains. This sounds like the kind of thing a teenager would say.

quote:

BattleCON: War of Indines (2010)

Not a good game. Way too much content, mechanisms that don't make sense... you're much better off playing Yomi or Puzzle Strike.

Ok, let's check out this Yomi game..

quote:

Yomi (2011)

I’ve played Yomi a ton since 2010, and struggled with “what exactly it is” the entire time. I’ve watched the best players playing tournament games, listened to as much commentary as any, had numersous conversations with the designer and lead playtesters, read strategy guides, beta tested the expansion, and have played probably about 1000 matches.

The game should probably not be called Yomi, (which means “reading” in Japanese) because the “reading” aspect of the game is basically a lie. Like, it requires “faith” on the part of the player, or if you like, a kind of gambler’s fallacy. You need to “believe” that your reasoning for why you chose to play an attack has anything to do with the fact that it actually was a hit. In reality, it could – and frequently does – have nothing to do with your reasoning.

This fact – that the yomi is not actually a thing – is made extra clear by the fact that many high level players play the game with a *random number generator* dictating to them which combat option they should play (you could have read all about that on Fantasystrike’s forums, but unfortunately the thread was deleted).

Now, that does not mean that there is no skill to the game. There is actually still a lot of skill to the game, but it has nothing to do with reading. It has everything to do with the other half of playing Yomi – “hand valuation”. Maintaining power at the right times, keeping a healthy hand, playing combos, and knowing when to use all your damage potential are part of this hand valuation aspect, which IS actually a real thing, and I think represents 99% of the actual skill of the game. This is why I think the game should be called “valuation” rather than “yomi”.

Unfortunately, the “yomi” part comes into play every single turn whether you ignore it or not. This means that you will get some VERY WILD swings of randomness in the outcomes of the game. For example, while I’ve played the game a ton, I have played a tiny, tiny fraction of the amount some of the best players have played – like maybe 1/100th the number of games that some of the best players have. Yet I recently had a situation where I beat one of the world’s top 10 Yomi players three times in a row in a best of 5. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like that should never happen. I shouldn’t even win 1 out of 3 games, let alone 3/3.

So, Yomi is an interesting game, but I think it’s just way too direct and random, which means that it’s really frustrating and you have to play 20 matches with someone to find out who’s better. It’s kind of like playing Street Fighter, if you were playing on a stage that was tiny, like a small box that could just barely fit Ken & Ryu, and they were doing moves point-blank at all times.

:smith:

quote:

Bohnanza (1997)

THE best card game I've ever played. It's a great social game that still has a good amount of strategy, is easy to set up and play, and it's quick. I highly recommend it.
This is his only 9.

quote:

Chaos in the Old World (2009)

Fantasy Flight ameritrash. Massive levels of luck AND complexity combine into a game in which all you can do each turn is say "what is my best option right now?" Looking ahead is completely impossible and useless. Multiple goals make play even less clear.

Sounds like he probably got schooled by someone who can "look ahead" and "clearly play" :smug:

quote:

Eclipse (2011)

Highly random dice game. First you flip over tiles to see if you're getting any resources this turn. Then sometimes you have to roll dice to see if you win fights. Honestly it's OK as a single player game on iOS but no way would I play this versus people.

quote:

Gloom (2005)

Gets extra points for having THE BEST theme of any boardgame. As a game, it seems like a decent little card game... I have to play more to really say.

Ahhh, this is all starting to make sense now..

I'd like to redact sharing any opinions with this guy's article and just go back to being the guy who's mildly apathetic towards Agricola

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

I've really been enjoying Imperial Assault so far. It's basically Descent 2.5 with a Star Wars theme, and you know there's going to be lots and lots of expansion support for it.

- Up to 4 players play the Rebel heroes, and 1 player plays the Imperials.
- Instead of revealing the board as it goes, the campaign missions are broken up into ~1 hour bits, and you're meant to play 2 or 3 in one session. So you see part 1 of the mission, part 2, part 3, etc, but not all at once. Also the Imperial's deployment points move as the Rebels progress, and the Imperial player gets to reveal more reinforcements as it goes. Progress carries over from one to the next.
- Really nice miniatures.

Looking at this, it seems good, but not great. The map is entirely laid out and really small, there's nothing besides enemies to fill out the board, and the setting doesn't really appeal to me. Also those dice seem really complicated, but maybe it's just because I didn't look into the rules but there are just so many and so many symbols.

Imagined posted:

What sucks is that there are so many games that ALMOST get there. Like Descent has dungeonmaster, miniatures, etc, but no exploration. Ditto the D&D adventure games. Dungeonquest has exploration, but no monster miniatures or dungeonmaster. Mice & Mystics has no dungeonmaster. Claustrophobia is strictly 1 vs 1. It's really weird because it seems like everyone is trying as hard as they can to make a Heroquest game that's almost, but not quite, entirely unlike Heroquest.

So what you're saying is I should get Descent, Dungeonquest, Mice & Mystics, and Clustrophobia and combine them all into one big game?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lorini, have you (or anyone else) played with the techromancer expansion for Argent yet? How good / essential is it? I think I'm gonna pick up the base game now but I'm considering getting the expansion too.