Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Walton Simons posted:

Sunless Sea doesn't vary close to enough early on between games for me to consider having another crack at it after dying 5 hours into a campaign for one mistake.

This is a huge problem with those kinds of roguelike-esque games in general. The early game is terribly samey once you've played a few times, and your character/ship/whatever isn't actually very interesting to play until later on. But every time you die you start over again at the boring bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
FTL got around it very well by having a pretty tough level of difficulty all the way through, along with starting ships requiring very different strategies. What you found in shops or as random drops could switch your strategy totally, keeping it interesting. Sunless Sea falls into the trap of gun > bigger gun > biggerer gun and poo poo engine > ok engine > good engine being the progression every time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
FF14 added chocobo racing which people say its like mario kart. Except in mario kart I could knock over someone who was intentionally placing their car in front of me so I could pass them, or it didn't take a few second for me to turn my wheel with an obvious tell to try and get around him that the guy in front of me will notice and will also turn to block me off.

EDIT: Oh and its unbelievable how good endurance and stamina is. Really, why bother with any other skills then these 2. I enjoy racing against players with high endurance/high stamina birds that can spend the majority of the race sprinting and have zero ability to catch up with him. It also makes briars the worst thing to be used against you cause it saps up your stamina and once thats zero may as well just alt tab out cause you aren't doing poo poo the rest of the race.

Leal has a new favorite as of 04:43 on Feb 26, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nuebot posted:

So since I actually have cause to play my 3DS again, there's something dragging down all my games.

Nintendo, how long has it been since the GBA? Why can we still not get a handheld with a screen that works in natural light. I live in a place that's sunny as hell, and any time it's not overcast, if I'm outside I can not see anything on screen. It kind of defeats the purpose of using a hand held system.

It's funny, in ye olde days with my Game Boy Color I had to seek out the sunlight because that made the screen clearest, yet for every subsequent handheld I've had to find good enough shade to keep the screen from washing out.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Febreeze posted:

It might be, but they are hard to hit with the Super Missiles because they are so fast.

Just wait for them to do their two-handed charge-up and blast them then.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Accordion Man posted:

The original rear end Creed actually had that. If you did enough brutal kills, usually with hidden blade counters, the guards would panic and run away.

There was a nice scene in the original Mass Effect game where you could threaten two guys after shooting through a room of guards and they'd go "yeah, gently caress this" and walk away.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okami HD crashed on me yesterday after like an hour of doing sidequest stuff. I don't know how hard it would have been to give it autosave, but I sure would have appreciated it.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okami HD crashed on me yesterday after like an hour of doing sidequest stuff. I don't know how hard it would have been to give it autosave, but I sure would have appreciated it.
Do you mean an hour of gameplay or an hour of cutscene?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

In metal gear solid 4 you can sneak up behind someone who hasn't spotted you and point a gun at them, tell them to stick 'em up and they'll actually surrender, letting you safely knock them out.
If you hold them up from behind with your gun, they'll stay surrendered until you piss off away from the area or you walk in front of them so they can see that you aren't in fact holding them up anymore.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Mount & Blade: with Fire & Sword (and to a lesser extent, Warband): After starting a siege by blowing up a fortress wall, the first thing most of my idiot soldiers do is climb up the drat castle walls from the inside, in pursuit of the 3 or so weak-rear end marksmen always stationed up there.
All the while the remaining ~10% of my men remain on ground level getting gangbanged by loving veteran Winged Hussars. Argh.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Catpain Slack posted:

Mount & Blade: with Fire & Sword (and to a lesser extent, Warband): After starting a siege by blowing up a fortress wall, the first thing most of my idiot soldiers do is climb up the drat castle walls from the inside, in pursuit of the 3 or so weak-rear end marksmen always stationed up there.
All the while the remaining ~10% of my men remain on ground level getting gangbanged by loving veteran Winged Hussars. Argh.

You know you can control your troops right? Just command them to follow you and charge through that breach :black101:

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Away all Goats posted:

You know you can control your troops right? Just command them to follow you and charge through that breach :black101:

Yes but i'm here to slaughter and not loving micromanage :black101:

Also I tend to sneak around back and shoot those enemy pigdogs in the back of the head.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Act III of MGS4 is atrocious

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

There are event bosses in Guild Wars 2 I've fought several times that I've never seen because the screen is too clogged with usernames. I have to like, hit TAB to target it.

It's actually more funny than anything, but seems kind of silly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

EmmyOk posted:

You mean you don't like walking forward, cutscene, motorcycle chase, boss fight? I haven't played that game in years but it felt like the chapter install time was longer than the chapter if you skin the cutscenes.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Len posted:

You mean you don't like walking forward, cutscene, motorcycle chase, boss fight? I haven't played that game in years but it felt like the chapter install time was longer than the chapter if you skin the cutscenes.

The PSN version doesn't have those which is nice. Nah I mean tailing the guy, it's obnoxious on Big Boss mode.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Is it as bad with one of the beauty masks on?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

The PSN version doesn't have those which is nice. Nah I mean tailing the guy, it's obnoxious on Big Boss mode.

They actually eventuall patched the game so you could install everything at once instead of piecemeal.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Is it as bad with one of the beauty masks on?

Yeah they all spotted me, I eventually got the hang of it but it's still pretty bad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Stop playing MGS4

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Austrian Mook is my favorite thing dragging down the game of life.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Austrian Mook is my favorite thing dragging down the game of life.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but MGS4 is a complete piece of poo poo. Hopefully Kojima pulls his head out of his rear end for the next one.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

EmmyOk posted:

It's really a shame, cause I absolutely loved the first two acts. I felt as though I could play them like an actual stealth game instead of me being lead around on a rope for 45 minutes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but MGS4 is a complete piece of poo poo. Hopefully Kojima pulls his head out of his rear end for the next one.

Have a little goddamn sympathy rear end in a top hat.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
Kojima: "Here, I've finished the design document for MGS4."

Konami Executive: "This is 'please stop making me make these' written four hundred times in your blood."

Kojima: "There's also a part with robots!"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Skyrim: NPCs always love to drag you into their business. Last time I played I would actually actively run from NPCs whenever I went into a new town cause they were going to throw poo poo in my quest log and I have 15 other quests cause fuuuuck I just want to sell off these 50 iron swords I found.

But today I've noticed something new: In the very beginning when you go to Whiterun there is a few NPCs fighting a troll outside of Whiterun. I never saw this before and in fact I wouldn't of noticed it in this run, I was just picking plants nearby. Apparently when the NPCs finish off the troll regardless if you join the fight or not one of them will loving run up to you and berate you for not joining the fight! God dammit Bethesda its ok for players to explore and talk to NPCs themselves you don't have to make events happen in every settlement to force the player to talk to some NPCs! The worst of it is that I have to download a mod to ensure I can walk into a certain town and NOT be forced into joining the thieves guild cause when you walk in you're immediately approached by the recruiter!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Skyrim is pretty annoying in that way. Usually with open world games, when an NPC asks you to do something for them that triggers the start of a quest, you have the option of saying "No, gently caress you, I don't want to do that". Skyrim offers you no such option in many cases, short of quite literally walking away from the conversation to end it before you say "yes". Which is dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

The worst of it is that I have to download a mod to ensure I can walk into a certain town and NOT be forced into joining the thieves guild cause when you walk in you're immediately approached by the recruiter!

But nothing happens if you don't do that quest though, does it? If you don't want to, just don't. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tiggum posted:

But nothing happens if you don't do that quest though, does it? If you don't want to, just don't. :shrug:

If you play with this mentality you'll have 20 quests making GBS threads up your quest log that you have to sift through to read about the quests you actually want to do. Sure, there is no consequence for not doing it other than the NPCs involved in the quest hanging in stasis forever just waiting for you to walk up and talk to them, but the simple option to say "No, I don't want to help you with that, leave me alone" would take like ten extra minutes at most to fully implement. Since there's no way to abandon quests, that ten minutes they didn't spend equates to you playing the rest of the game being annoyed by it if you're that kind of person.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it's called "hit the escape key and end the conversation you loving nerd"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

If you play with this mentality you'll have 20 quests making GBS threads up your quest log that you have to sift through to read about the quests you actually want to do.

I remember there being a gem/precious stone quest that you get for grabbing one of the 24(?) in the game. Since the objective is to find them all, and they are distributed all over the game's world I can understand why it wouldn't show me where they may be located, but is it too much to ask to place a red X or something on my map where I have found them? I never completed that quest because I figured I'd just find the gems as I played and by the time I beat the game I still only had about 3 of the things and the only way I was going to complete that quest was with a guide, map and checklist.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alouicious posted:

it's called "hit the escape key and end the conversation you loving nerd"

But that's laaaameee

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I remember there being a gem/precious stone quest that you get for grabbing one of the 24(?) in the game. Since the objective is to find them all, and they are distributed all over the game's world I can understand why it wouldn't show me where they may be located, but is it too much to ask to place a red X or something on my map where I have found them? I never completed that quest because I figured I'd just find the gems as I played and by the time I beat the game I still only had about 3 of the things and the only way I was going to complete that quest was with a guide, map and checklist.

As much as I love Skyrim, that quest aggravates the poo poo out of me. Some of the gems are hidden in faction areas, such as the Mage College, Assassin's Guild, etc. I shouldn't have to join evert drat group to complete the quest. I understand how that could happen in real life, but dammit, my 2 handed warrior doesn't wanna join the Mage College!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

10 Beers posted:

As much as I love Skyrim, that quest aggravates the poo poo out of me. Some of the gems are hidden in faction areas, such as the Mage College, Assassin's Guild, etc. I shouldn't have to join evert drat group to complete the quest. I understand how that could happen in real life, but dammit, my 2 handed warrior doesn't wanna join the Mage College!

Skyrim wants really hard for you to do everything on the same character. In the progress of the main quest alone, you're outright forced to associate with the Thieves' Guild no matter what, and can only avoid becoming a student of the College of Winterhold by passing the highest Speech check in the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah they all spotted me, I eventually got the hang of it but it's still pretty bad.

Wait that counts as an alert? I could've sworn that if you're wearing one of the masks of the beauties, they'll turn a blind eye to you unless you're super obvious?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

Wait that counts as an alert? I could've sworn that if you're wearing one of the masks of the beauties, they'll turn a blind eye to you unless you're super obvious?

Well it wasn't so much the guards seeing me as it was for the guy I was tailing. Once I got the hang of things it wasn't nearly so bad, but it was still quite unfun compared to the rest of the game. Another thing that threw me off but on reflection is really cool was the man in the hat and overcoat who is made up of all the little robots. I didn't realise the resistance member always went back to the start. So I would occasionally see the robot peeking around corners and assume that was a member I was supposed to be following. P cool that you see him around before the cutscene though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Skyrim wants really hard for you to do everything on the same character.

I cannot understand how anyone could have a problem with this. You're playing a game and enjoying it, but you want to skip bits? Why? If it's a case of "this is a tedious minigame, I don't want to have to do it" fine, but you want to skip whole sidequests? Why? :psyduck:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I cannot understand how anyone could have a problem with this. You're playing a game and enjoying it, but you want to skip bits? Why? If it's a case of "this is a tedious minigame, I don't want to have to do it" fine, but you want to skip whole sidequests? Why? :psyduck:

How could anyone want to roleplay a specific character? Why?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Some people don't have 300+ hours to burn on a game, you nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DStecks posted:

How could anyone want to roleplay a specific character? Why?

With other people? Sure. Alone with your computer though? Your idea of role-playing is Skyrim? Do you not have friends?

ElGroucho posted:

Some people don't have 300+ hours to burn on a game, you nerd

If that's directed at me, that's the exact reason I want to do everything the first time. I don't have the time (or inclination) to play through every game multiple times to see all the different stuff. The more of it I can see in a single go, the better.