Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd never thought of adding hot sauce and cheese but it sounds amazing. Start with a standard ham 'n' beans setup:

If your legumes came dry, soak them overnight in a big pot (I use great northern beans but blackeye peas should be delicious too). Pour off the water, then rinse them thoroughly.

If they're canned (nothing wrong with that), just rinse them thoroughly.

I go with a pound of beans for every pound of ham.

When they're good to go, throw them in the slow cooker with your ham hock(s)/ham chunks, then put in enough water to cover it all. Some people use stock or broth but I just go with water because with the ham hocks in there, you don't really need it.

Add some salt and pepper. Don't be shy with the salt. Put the slow cooker on low and let it do its thing for 8-12 hours, stirring every once in a while.

Then, go nuts with cheese and hot sauce and cornbread. I think it's illegal in some jurisdictions to serve ham 'n' beans without at least a side of cornbread, so plan ahead.

Some weirdos put garlic and bay leaves and cloves and poo poo in theirs and that's okay I guess but you won't catch me eating it

Where are the pics with stick figures and hilarious descriptions of ingredients to illustrate this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Some weirdos put garlic

Go to a dungeon.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tree Goat posted:

Go to a dungeon.

No, that is the place you belong if you put garlic in your ham 'n' beans

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

No, that is the place you belong if you put garlic in your ham 'n' beans

While I cannot claim to understand your choice not to dump a bunch of garlic in a bean stew (as garlic is delicious in this and in most other applications), I respect your assertiveness, and hope that you might change your mind upon further reflection.

Nascardad
Oct 22, 2009

"Racing is in my blood, I can't quite get out of it yet"

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

That looks like loving mold.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

EXAKT Science posted:

That looks like loving mold.

Exactly what I thought.

I just came off of a horrific [but thankfully short lived] case of food poisoning this weekend, and I have to wonder if this thread isn't somehow to blame for it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd never thought of adding hot sauce and cheese but it sounds amazing. Start with a standard ham 'n' beans setup:

If your legumes came dry, soak them overnight in a big pot (I use great northern beans but blackeye peas should be delicious too). Pour off the water, then rinse them thoroughly.

When they're good to go, throw them in the slow cooker with your ham hock(s)/ham chunks, then put in enough water to cover it all. Some people use stock or broth but I just go with water because with the ham hocks in there, you don't really need it.

Add some salt and pepper. Don't be shy with the salt. Put the slow cooker on low and let it do its thing for 8-12 hours, stirring every once in a while.

Then, go nuts with cheese and hot sauce and cornbread. I think it's illegal in some jurisdictions to serve ham 'n' beans without at least a side of cornbread, so plan ahead.

Some weirdos put garlic and bay leaves and cloves and poo poo in theirs and that's okay I guess but you won't catch me eating it

Thanks for this! It sounds awesome.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tree Goat posted:

While I cannot claim to understand your choice not to dump a bunch of garlic in a bean stew (as garlic is delicious in this and in most other applications), I respect your assertiveness, and hope that you might change your mind upon further reflection.

Dude, I love garlic. We're on the same team, here. It just doesn't sound like it would go with ham 'n' beans.

Inspired partly (mostly) by empty sea bringing it up and partly by how goddamn cold it is, I'm soaking some beans for a big ol' ham 'n beans dinner tomorrow.

And tell ya what: I'm gonna put some garlic in them. In the spirit of friendliness and open-mindedness, if I end up liking it, I'll donate fifteen bucks to a charity of your choosing.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

MisterOblivious posted:

That makes as much sense as me asking you how long your cornish cross hens are in lay before they keel over dead of a heart attack.

Since people were discussing eating Silkies, I wondered what they dress out at. Letting a cornish-cross get over 14 weeks old is inhumane.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Dude, I love garlic. We're on the same team, here. It just doesn't sound like it would go with ham 'n' beans.

Inspired partly (mostly) by empty sea bringing it up and partly by how goddamn cold it is, I'm soaking some beans for a big ol' ham 'n beans dinner tomorrow.

And tell ya what: I'm gonna put some garlic in them. In the spirit of friendliness and open-mindedness, if I end up liking it, I'll donate fifteen bucks to a charity of your choosing.

I am confident that garlic will not disappoint you.

Other things that I put in my ham n' beans (that I freely acknowledge you would be justified in omitting):
Thyme
Smoked spanish paprika
Angostura bitters
Cayenne
Chorizo
Collard greens

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

Other things that I put in my ham n' beans (that I freely acknowledge you would be justified in omitting):
Thyme
Smoked spanish paprika
Angostura bitters
Cayenne
Chorizo
Collard greens

If you can get chalula hot sauce, it's perfect for pork. And everything.

That is a good post though.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Tree Goat posted:

Thyme
Smoked spanish paprika
Angostura bitters
Cayenne
Chorizo
Collard greens

Chorizo is cheating. It's too delicious.

Jeremy_X
Jul 27, 2006

Desperado Bones posted:

And eggs are chicken ovaries. Eeeeeew.

When I was young I had an egg allergy. I was in preschool and we had to eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I told my teachers that I couldn't eat the eggs or I'd get sick. Somehow this information didn't make it in to my file so they thought I was just being childish. They forced me to take a bite. The egg made it half way down my throat before it, and every other thing in my stomach came out, and I started to swell. This is the early 80s so no epipen or anything like that. Rushed to hospital etc. etc. After that I had this deep seated dislike of egg by itself or in anything. I grew out of the allergy but even on things like french toast if there was any egg wash hanging off the bread I'd pull that poo poo off, wouldn't eat mayo, all sorts of stuff like that. I'd even avoid foods that smelled eggy.

Fast forward to age 20. I decide that it is drat stupid for a grown man to have this kind of problem with eggs. I wait until my house is going to be completely empty for several hours in case this goes badly vomit-wise, and 911 ready to go on the phone should my throat close. I knew how to make scrambled eggs so I picked that. I needed something more though. I need some moral support, or at least something to take my mind off what I was about to do to myself. I put on Red Dwarf and without thinking I picked the episode DNA in which Kryten becomes a human. As I nervously place the eggs in my mouth he's served breakfast. He comments, "Ah, breakfast, my very first meal! Boiled chicken ovulations -- delicious!." There was just something about the word ovulation that made me unable to swallow. I gagged and spit the eggs back out. I had failed. It would be another three years before I could get eggs down my throat.

The reason I'm telling this tale is because now that I enjoy eggs in most of their preparations I have found that many people have a similar reaction to mine when they're reminded of the origin of their food in technical language. The only person in my life that can do worse is my wife. She's studying veterinary medicine and nothing shuts a meal down faster than her description of just exactly what an infected horse vagina looks and smells like.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Jeremy_X posted:

She's studying veterinary medicine and nothing shuts a meal down faster than her description of just exactly what an infected horse vagina looks and smells like.

I think you may have just discovered the cure for Bronies.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Monkey posted:

If you can get chalula hot sauce, it's perfect for pork. And everything.

That is a good post though.

Sup cholula pal :hfive:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Tapatio is also really good.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Helith posted:

I think you may have just discovered the cure for Bronies.

A very small percentage of them have quite a different reaction to that description, though. If there's one thing the internet has taught me it is that one man's :nms: is another man's :heysexy:.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Bippie Mishap posted:

Since people were discussing eating Silkies, I wondered what they dress out at. Letting a cornish-cross get over 14 weeks old is inhumane.

I kinda missed the mark on that one apparently

'bout 1.5-1.7lb at 12 weeks, I gather. It's something of a specialty market: "ancient chinese medicine" for gynecological problems

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

A sandwich with bologna sandwiches.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Tree Goat posted:

Your confidence was well-placed.

This is amazing.

Let me know where you'd like the donation to go.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Was it in this very thread that a wise goon said "there is no food in the world that cannot be improved by either garlic or chocolate?" Because it's 100% true.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Was it in this very thread that a wise goon said "there is no food in the world that cannot be improved by either garlic or chocolate?" Because it's 100% true.

But can you improve chocolate with garlic?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Paladinus posted:

Black garlic dipped in chocolate is like a legit confection

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Paladinus posted:

You be the judge.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I like occasionally using shallots when garlic is suggested.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Paladinus posted:

This is sort of like those pictures where people draw eyes on their cheeks and a mouth on their chin and your brain wigs out about reading their face. It's not unappealing, but it is strange to look at.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Do you ever add brown sugar to it? Every recipe I check uses some.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Not a single sandwich in this picture though?

PeachHat!
Nov 27, 2009

Spider-Man LOVES milk!

Wasabi the J posted:

I like occasionally using shallots when garlic is suggested.

Can I ask why? I'm genuinely curious. While shallots and garlic are technically members of the same family, culinary and palate-wise, shallots are much MUCH closer to what's largely considered 'onion' flavored than 'garlic'. And comparing them to what most people consider 'onion' flavored, they're far more subtle and mild. So why would you take an ingredient prized for its own bold, nuanced qualities and replace it with something that's...just kind of a far weaker, less sassy version? I really am not judging, but I seriously can't think of a single application where substituting shallot for garlic would make any impact but dumbing down the flavors. Prove me wrong! I love learning.

I wish I could add picture content, but unfortunately this was back in the day where we didn't have cameras on our phones and I hope to god no one else ever had to experience this, so I doubt I could find a stock photo. So I just want you to imagine the dish that almost made me vegetarian when I was ten years old. Mushroom Surprise. The surprise is it's deli turkey cut into half inch thick slices with a can of Campbell's Mushroom soup poured over it and topped with Velveeta and baked in the oven for an hour. Trust me. The vision your imagination brings up is nothing compared to the horrors of the truth.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

how me a frog posted:

Not a single sandwich in this picture though?

It's an open sandwich. With open sandwiches.:colbert:

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I never understood open sandwiches. Like the defining feature of a sandwich is the contents between two slices of bread. Sandwiched is even a verb. Open sandwiches are basically pizzas :colbert:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pomp posted:

Sup cholula pal :hfive:

:hfive:

blunt for century posted:

Tapatio is also really good.

:hfive: Tapatio is my number 2 hot sauce. Then Sriracha.. then, I guess Louisiana, but everything just runs together into general 'cajun hot sauces are all p. much the same' and 'other non-cajun hot sauces are similar' after that, except with a side category for sriracha where it rises to #1 depending on the type of food.

I'm that weird guy at work who has a big bottle of cholula in his desk for everyone to use though, I'm addicted to that stuff. In fact, I just put it on some shepherd's pie that I'd made the other day, and it was super delicious. There's another hot sauce in a similarish glass bottle but it's green that I never remember the name of, but it's also really good.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

:hfive: Tapatio is my number 2 hot sauce. Then Sriracha.. then, I guess Louisiana, but everything just runs together into general 'cajun hot sauces are all p. much the same' and 'other non-cajun hot sauces are similar' after that, except with a side category for sriracha where it rises to #1 depending on the type of food.

Sriracha is my go-to hot sauce.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I never understood open sandwiches. Like the defining feature of a sandwich is the contents between two slices of bread. Sandwiched is even a verb. Open sandwiches are basically pizzas :colbert:

There exists such a thing as a deconstructed calzone.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

AnonSpore posted:

So, a pizza, but with ricotta cheese too?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

blunt for century posted:

So, a pizza, but with ricotta cheese too?
A cow standing in a wheat field with a basket of tomatoes on its back. In a bowl with pepperoni consomme added tableside.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AnonSpore posted:

Do they kill the chef when it's ready? Or is it just accompanied by a glass of water with 'earth juice' written on it with a sharpie?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I'm legitimately wondering if people who claim to dislike garlic are just eating the stuff raw, because that would be nasty and I understand why they would hate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

im pooping! posted:

I'm legitimately wondering if people who claim to dislike garlic are just eating the stuff raw, because that would be nasty and I understand why they would hate that.

Raw garlic is delicious too though

• Locked thread