Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I completely forgot that we already saw flashbacks of him first meeting Ras. Without those flashbacks, that conversation would heavily imply that the magician he was talking about was Merlyn himself. But since we did get those flashbacks, I was wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Finding out Ollie was in fact obsessed with rescuing Merlyn because Ra's was under his skin and he was suffering PTSD from the fall honestly did a lot to rehabilitate his character from the really stupid decisions he's made the last few episodes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

I completely forgot that we already saw flashbacks of him first meeting Ras. Without those flashbacks, that conversation would heavily imply that the magician he was talking about was Merlyn himself. But since we did get those flashbacks, I was wrong.

Except he said the magician was old and feeble. I guess he could have put him in a Lazarus Pit or something, but thinking that Merlyn was the magician from the story is reaching pretty hard even without the flashback.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

imperialparadox posted:

On the flip side, at least Felicity does seem to learn from the past, finally deciding that Oliver is just an asshat and pairing up with Palmer instead, who actually treats her like a person. :shrug:

She'll be back next episode.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Jackson Taus posted:

Palmer could find the Arrow Cave in a heartbeat - he's shown he's perfectly willing and able to track Felicity's phone. Even if that were taken away, he knows she spends a lot of time around Thea's club and isn't really a clubbing sort of girl (and she has no business being in The Glades at all). If/when Felicity tells him she works with the Arrow (or he finds out on his own), he'll be able to put two and two together even without X-Ray vision mode in his helmet or whatever.

Yeah but in this world people either know or don't know things completely randomly so I could just as easily see him bumble around wanting help from Arrow but not knowing how to go about it.

Anybody who follows Oliver Queen should have been able to figure out he was the Arrow when he went to Central City on vacation and Arrow happened to show up there five minutes later. Especially if those people know anything about Felicity.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Scyantific posted:

Did anyone else find it really refreshing to see Malcolm scared out of his wits because he knew he was completely screwed? It was a nice contrast to his usual smugness.

Yeah Ras is pretty much the only thing he's afraid of and Barrowman sold that scene pretty well. Lovely amount of chewed scenery in this episode too, Katrina Laws delivery is just the right amount of overdramatic and I look forward to seeing more of her, especially if she can manage to make Laurel useful in a fight. So far every Laurel fight has been pretty cringeworthy, more so than I think is intended, from her stances to how she swings her stupid baton. poo poo needs to improve or I'll keep wishing they'd killed her instead of Sarah.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BrianWilly posted:

Frankly, the ATOM story has been spinning its wheels for half a year now. The whole narrative is comprised of Ray and Felicity having the exact same conversation that they always have week after week after week without ever reaching any kind of climax.

(Well, other than the climax this week :quagmire:)

Ray: I WANT TO DO THE THING
Felicity: BUT HAVE YOU CONSIDERED NOT DOING THE THING

Rinse plus repeat. The only thing that saves it from being a total borefest is how likable Brandon Routh and Emily Rickards have managed to make their characters.

And really, they only come out as likable in relation to how utterly unlikable the rest of the cast has been this season. That includes Felicity when she's on one of her many angst-fueled tirades too.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
So far, the overarching theme of the season seems to be Oliver underestimating everyone. He consistently shows a lack of faith in the people around him and their ability to do... well, anything. Handle the truth, fight crime, protect the city, kill him, etc. He doesn't seem to think anyone can do anything without him. Every time he hands over a long-kept secret or actually trusts the people around him, he is rewarded by then proving to be better than he thought. Everyone around him is better than he thinks they are at everything. Basically I'm hoping this season ends with Ollie being at least less bad at judging character.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
That should have ended when he got back from being dead and saw that they kept poo poo mostly together without him.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Let's face it, Merlin probably hopped into Ras' Lazarus Pit Hot Tub at some stage during his life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

thrawn527 posted:

Except he said the magician was old and feeble. I guess he could have put him in a Lazarus Pit or something, but thinking that Merlyn was the magician from the story is reaching pretty hard even without the flashback.

Lazarus Pit would have been the assumption under that scenario, yes. Without the flashbacks of him meeting Ras earlier, it would have been easy to read that scene as "I came back to you when you were old and feeble and let you cheat the one thing you couldn't as a magician and you betrayed me."

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

I really didn't see anyone else mention that Ras basically spilled the beans that Merlyn is approaching 200 years old himself.

bull3964 posted:

Lazarus Pit would have been the assumption under that scenario, yes. Without the flashbacks of him meeting Ras earlier, it would have been easy to read that scene as "I came back to you when you were old and feeble and let you cheat the one thing you couldn't as a magician and you betrayed me."

:psyduck:

I think you need to rewatch that scene again. Even without the flashback it was pretty clear he wasn't talking about Merlyn.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
The theme for this season seems to be a few things, not only are the people around Oliver not as useless as he thinks but that he can't do everything on his own. It's a different way to go with the idea of Oliver becoming an idea instead of a man which was mentioned in an earlier episode I think. The fight with Ras the PTSD all of it is showing he isn't strong enough to do it by himself, but together they can. Since the first season Olivers attitude has been this is my fight, I am the best fighter etc etc now he's to the point where he needs to learn this is everyones fight and there are people who can beat him down like a child.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There needs to be more mention of how awesome it was that a) Thea went 'gently caress this secret poo poo' and immediately told Laurel and b) Laurel was totally cool about it. Best part of the episode.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So new power rankings as evidenced by last two episodes: Ras > Oliver > Nyssa > Slade = Merlyn > Dig > Generic Ninja Mook > Thea = Roy > Laurel > Most street toughs and criminals > Wildcat cause he's dead now

Also Felicity's vagina has restorative and inspirational properties, so she needs to get with the Flash so he can run faster and beat reverse flash.

Just for arguments sake, Agent May and Agent Ward could beat all of these but Ras in hand to hand combat, and they wouldn't even beat him working together.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 26, 2015

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

greatn posted:

Just for arguments sake, Agent May and Agent Ward could beat all of these but Ras in hand to hand combat, and they wouldn't even beat him working together.

Yes, the derail this thread deserves. Marvel TV characters vs DC TV characters.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

greatn posted:

So new power rankings as evidenced by last two episodes: Ras > Oliver > Nyssa > Slade = Merlyn > Dig > Generic Ninja Mook > Thea = Roy > Laurel > Most street toughs and criminals > Wildcat cause he's dead now

Laurel should rank below Dead Wildcat.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

So new power rankings as evidenced by last two episodes: Diggle with a gun > Anyone with a gun > Ras > Oliver > Nyssa > Slade = Merlyn > Dig > Generic Ninja Mook > Thea = Roy > Laurel > Most street toughs and criminals > Wildcat cause he's dead now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

greatn posted:

Also Felicity's vagina has restorative and inspirational properties, so she needs to get with the Flash so he can run faster and beat reverse flash.

That's going to be the big finale reveal. Felicity is the Lazarus Pit.

It's been passed down in her family for generations. Her father was a member of the League too.

All the pieces come together.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

raditts posted:

Laurel should rank below Dead Wildcat.

Has it been confirmed he is dead?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
From the short preview of next episode it has Ollie saying "maybe I should become the next Ra's. While standing in the foundry

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also someone joked earlier that Oliver's baby mama is Talia, but I'm kind of thinking that could actually be true. Mama Queen somehow had the league on speed dial last season when Malcolm showed up.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

greatn posted:

Wait WHAT :psyduck:

The only reason Nyssa lost to Oliver this time was because she was more concerned with getting Merlyn out of Starling (and blinded by emotion yadda yadda). Oliver can't beat Merlyn, what makes you think he can take on Nyssa?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Has it been confirmed he is dead?

No, which pretty much means he isn't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

No, which pretty much means he isn't.

If he was, he'd still be more useful in a fight than Laurel.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

greatn posted:

Also someone joked earlier that Oliver's baby mama is Talia, but I'm kind of thinking that could actually be true. Mama Queen somehow had the league on speed dial last season when Malcolm showed up.

"You are the father of my grandson. You show great strength and courage. You can continue the Ra's title amongst our bloodline, or you can die"

Windows 98 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 26, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We've seen the kid's mother. She goes to Iris' coffee shop.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Scyantific posted:

The only reason Nyssa lost to Oliver this time was because she was more concerned with getting Merlyn out of Starling (and blinded by emotion yadda yadda). Oliver can't beat Merlyn, what makes you think he can take on Nyssa?

He already beat the both of them in a three way duel earlier in the season, and Malcolm seems to have accepted Oliver is a better fighter than him except with swords.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Aphrodite posted:

That's going to be the big finale reveal. Felicity is the Lazarus Pit.
Lazarus Quiver.

quote:

All the pieces come together.

Yes, exactly.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Aphrodite posted:

We've seen the kid's mother. She goes to Iris' coffee shop.

Doesn't mean she's not an assassin :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Scyantific posted:

Ollie basically beat Nyssa every time they fought (as few times as that was). The actual problem with that power ranking is that Merlyn is as low as he is. He should still be above Oliver, even if Nyssa beat him in a fight; also, keep in mind that Merlyn was at a disadvantage in the fight Nyssa won.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I cant wait to see where Ray Palmer ranks. I'm guessing at Laurel level with his power armor. And below dead Wildcat without it.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
drat, didn't see that coming

ufarn
May 30, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Ollie basically beat Nyssa every time they fought (as few times as that was). The actual problem with that power ranking is that Merlyn is as low as he is. He should still be above Oliver, even if Nyssa beat him in a fight; also, keep in mind that Merlyn was at a disadvantage in the fight Nyssa won.
It's also dumb to not factor in basic luck. I like that the group screws up occasionally, although I find Hong Kong Oliver to be pretty useless given his island training.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

NecroMonster posted:

I hope Nyssa does end up training Laurel because watching her flail around like an idiot and get he face smashed in over and over isn't enjoyable.

You're wrong and should feel bad about how wrong you are.

greatn posted:

It seems I was very wrong in my Dig rankings earlier and he was holding back because of his baby. He clearly could have dealt with Brink and his gang but somehow let Roy and Laurel do it.

Oliver seriously needs to see a loving shrink at some point. As while he does want to kill Ra's because he lost he also really feels bad about his Dad killing himself on the liferaft. Has he told anyone that secret?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

sbaldrick posted:

Oliver seriously needs to see a loving shrink at some point. As while he does want to kill Ra's because he lost he also really feels bad about his Dad killing himself on the liferaft. Has he told anyone that secret?

Thea at the very least knows about it, he told her in Corto Maltese.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ufarn posted:

It's also dumb to not factor in basic luck. I like that the group screws up occasionally, although I find Hong Kong Oliver to be pretty useless given his island training.

Yeah, I agree. For example, while I think that as it stands Ra's would probably beat Oliver in any situation, it's worth pointing out that when Oliver and Ra's did fight, Oliver basically put himself at a disadvantage. Merlyn is a piece of poo poo, but he was entirely correct when he said this:

quote:

You've spent years preparing to bring a bow to a swordfight

Oliver is good with a sword, but he is much better with a bow and arrow, particularly when he has his trick arrows.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I found Oliver's hard on for saving Malcolm because Ra's owned him to be hilariously petty. I thought Oliver being nuts because both his parents committed suicide in front of him because of him and not wanting that poo poo on Thea was more compelling. I mean, it's not rational but Oliver is clearly broken.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

sbaldrick posted:

You're wrong and should feel bad about how wrong you are.

It seems I was very wrong in my Dig rankings earlier and he was holding back because of his baby. He clearly could have dealt with Brink and his gang but somehow let Roy and Laurel do it.

Is there a green arrow Leslie Thompkins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Bad Moon posted:

I found Oliver's hard on for saving Malcolm because Ra's owned him to be hilariously petty. I thought Oliver being nuts because both his parents committed suicide in front of him because of him and not wanting that poo poo on Thea was more compelling. I mean, it's not rational but Oliver is clearly broken.

I think it's also pretty genuine that he was trying to justify his vendetta by saying he had to rescue Merlyn, while Dig (arguably his best friend, even over Tommy, when considering his best interests over his instant gratification) knew better that what he was doing was about pride. And it took losing again (but not almost-dying this time) for him to admit it, even if it was to a room full of the person who already knew that and air

• Locked thread