Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Yeah! Just unlocked my first Tier IX, the M103 (stock, because I'm a poor scrub :v: ). It sucks not running a premium account right now (would've probably bought it last week), but first outing, managed to eek out a 15-12 victory.

A lot of victories do seem lopsided. Played the magical forest map, my team divided up pretty evenly, but the enemy went full on into the woods, and ended up rolling us in a 5-15 loss.

Otherwise, this happened. Would've killed that last guy if my team didn't cap:

I'm still trying to relearn all the maps, as they've changed a bit since I took a break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Prav posted:

The Tiger P is so bad that it's not even getting it's existence acknowledged any more. Harsh.

The hell? It's probably my favorite t7 heavy.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Thanks for the Achilles/Firefly input, although we clearly haven't reached a consensus on which is preferred! I'm going to get both anyway when they're on sale (just because I can, both are already unlocked as I said yesterday) so I guess I'll try them and see which I prefer, but obviously it would be counter-productive to grind them simultaneously as they lead to the same tank. Maybe if only one goes on sale first I'll just grind that.

Oh yeah, did anyone watch my Archer replay on South Coast (or whatever the "Crimea" map is supposed to be)? I wanted to point out that not only did I predict where that T67 was going ahead of time (I pinged the map) because that's where I would've driven mine, I also called (to saintonan, over TS) that he was out of ammo as you can see from the replay. I didn't get to ~83% in the T67 by not knowing how to preserve its ammo!

Aramoro posted:

The Archer owns, you make it not suck by playing better. I don't have the top gun for it yet and you can still carry flanks or whole matches in it with it's fairly low profile and decent guns. The fast reverse is actually pretty handy for getting out of trouble.

This guy gets it! It really is OP because of that gun, and the camo helps! The lack of armor and mobility don't really come into play if you know what you're doing.

Agrajag posted:

Is there even a way for them for detect mods like warpack or whatever?

srb posted:

I've heard that the client basically sends a log of what you have in your res_mods folder when you log in, but since it's WG it wouldn't surprise me if it should but isn't.

Demon/Tosh reported the latter, but it would be nice to get some sort of confirmation/explanation.

Hellsau posted:

The T-34-85 is one tanks that get rewarded greatly for carrying HE and don't get punished since it carries a lot of ammo and not having a terribly long reload. Going from 180 damage to 300 is a massive increase.

I've been meaning to ask you, why do you carry 5 HE rounds in the Comet? 76 mm HE shells do pitiful damage beyond like tier 3, and the Comet can pretty easily run out of ammo. You're the last person I'd expect to have any HE rounds in the Comet of all things.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Any of the goon groups in the OP still active?

BadLlama posted:

Logged in for the first time in months and I am still in PANSY so I guess its still going?

Yup, PANSY is still around. I just cleared up a half dozen spots the other day. Stay active or you'll get the boot! Also Whiskey, what's your IGN?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

The hell? It's probably my favorite t7 heavy.

This, I loved my tiger p. But maybe that was because I played it back when gold shells weren't as much a thing so pubbies would uselessly bounce off the 200mm hull plate instead of the much weaker turret.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Never mind the turret, there's also the horrible cheeks, paper LFP and humongous commander's cupola. That thing is worse than the pre-buff Tiger. Slower, clumsier, uglier and with only two strips of flat armor to show for it.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Prav posted:

Never mind the turret, there's also the horrible cheeks, paper LFP and humongous commander's cupola. That thing is worse than the pre-buff Tiger. Slower, clumsier, uglier and with only two strips of flat armor to show for it.

Well, the TigerP is pretty much the definition of pubbieproof i.e. good gun and front armour where most don't know where to shoot.
It is going to suffer against good players, but against everyone else (i.e. the majority of the players) it will just stomp them into the ground.
I had too many accidental Steel Walls and Spartans in that tank for it too be an actual bad tank.

Speaking of the Maus line, do we know what the gold pen on the 150 for the Mauschen is going to be?
Regular pen is 225, so it is a different gun from the E-100s 150, which has 232.
A tier9 with close to Maus armour, better turret than the Maus and a 150 with decent gold pen is going to be interesting even if the mobility is going to be horrible.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Well, the TigerP is pretty much the definition of pubbieproof i.e. good gun and front armour where most don't know where to shoot.
It is going to suffer against good players, but against everyone else (i.e. the majority of the players) it will just stomp them into the ground.
I had too many accidental Steel Walls and Spartans in that tank for it too be an actual bad tank.

Speaking of the Maus line, do we know what the gold pen on the 150 for the Mauschen is going to be?
Regular pen is 225, so it is a different gun from the E-100s 150, which has 232.
A tier9 with close to Maus armour, better turret than the Maus and a 150 with decent gold pen is going to be interesting even if the mobility is going to be horrible.

Wait, they are replacing the 4502b with some made up maus with a 150mm gun? Really? Does that line make any sense anymore?

T7: same gun as the tiger h, more armor. Thematically follows the maus of being armored and a funcitonal gun
t8: gently caress what we said, not armored, 200mm pen makes it a struggle. Thematically doesn't match the goal of the line.
t9: 4502b picks back up with good front armor, functional gun, and a start at training you to side scrapping and rearward placed turrets
t10: maus

new t9: gently caress it, we'll ditch the 4502b by giving you a maus with a 150mm gun!
t10: eh, gently caress you. here, have a 128mm peashooter after enjoying all that alpha.

I mean, why don't they just :catdrugs: and make the maus a t9 with this vundermaus be the new t10.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Atomizer posted:

I've been meaning to ask you, why do you carry 5 HE rounds in the Comet? 76 mm HE shells do pitiful damage beyond like tier 3, and the Comet can pretty easily run out of ammo. You're the last person I'd expect to have any HE rounds in the Comet of all things.

Type 64s. They were on sale, and I had at least three of them rush me just to suicide. Being able to three shot them saves a lot of HP. As well, the Comet is mobile enough to get HE rounds where they need to go on WTs. There was also a situation with some artillery where the HE was useful, maybe an M44 or something with 280 HP which was 50/50 two shotable with AP? The HE hasn't punished me yet.

I have not run out of ammo totally yet, but I basically run out of AP every other game. If I didn't carry HE I'd just carry more APCR because I'll accept a higher ammo bill if it means never again losing or nearly losing because I needed more gold.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

JuffoWup posted:

Wait, they are replacing the 4502b with some made up maus with a 150mm gun? Really? Does that line make any sense anymore?

Apparently there's some drawings of it. It's better anchored in history than the current Ausf B. Which isn't saying that much since the Ausf B is basically just WG going "what if instead of this bit saying 80 mm it said 200 mm? Also make the gun twice as big".

But it's also a really lame tank that wasn't built because it was stupid and would've been worthless (much like the Maus). But hey at least WG are keeping true to history there because jesus, <9 hp/t, 1,9 med passability and 16/14 track/turret traverse? You'll be at risk of getting outmaneuvered by T28s.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

new t9: gently caress it, we'll ditch the 4502b by giving you a maus with a 150mm gun!
t10: eh, gently caress you. here, have a 128mm peashooter after enjoying all that alpha.

I mean, why don't they just :catdrugs: and make the maus a t9 with this vundermaus be the new t10.

It would be kinda hilarious if the Mauschen would only be able to shoot AP with 225 pen, HE or HESH.
Imagine 2 of those duking it out.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Alright apparently my shitstreak has normalized since I booted out my lovely T-43 and can get back to playing fun tanks and get back on the wagon. The skirmish last week helped, although it left me broke. Does anybody good want to take me under his wing and let me nuzzle at the teat of greatness for platoons this weekend? I think I'm free pretty much every night. Alternately, does anybody ...not so good want to just troll around in OP platoons and just murder the gently caress out of pubbies with Churchill IIIs, B2s, KVs of any description, or anything else? I really just want to avoid grinding for about a week because it's been horrific.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

t8: gently caress what we said, not armored, 200mm pen makes it a struggle. Thematically doesn't match the goal of the line.

The 4502a got an armour buff at the same time the 4502b did, the upper front autobounces anything under 220 and will bounce 250+ with angling. Hell of a lot tougher than it used to be.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

buzzsaw.gif posted:

Alright apparently my shitstreak has normalized since I booted out my lovely T-43 and can get back to playing fun tanks and get back on the wagon. The skirmish last week helped, although it left me broke. Does anybody good want to take me under his wing and let me nuzzle at the teat of greatness for platoons this weekend? I think I'm free pretty much every night. Alternately, does anybody ...not so good want to just troll around in OP platoons and just murder the gently caress out of pubbies with Churchill IIIs, B2s, KVs of any description, or anything else? I really just want to avoid grinding for about a week because it's been horrific.

I'll be honest with you, this game is a lot more fun when you're just playing to win rather than grinding tanks or slogging through dumbass missions.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

The 4502a got an armour buff at the same time the 4502b did, the upper front autobounces anything under 220 and will bounce 250+ with angling. Hell of a lot tougher than it used to be.

What, really? I mean, I rarely see one in the wild but I've had some weird bounces on them. That explains it then.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

srb posted:

What, really? I mean, I rarely see one in the wild but I've had some weird bounces on them. That explains it then.

There was never anything in the patch notes as I recall, but a tank doesn't go from getting penned by tier 7 mediums to bouncing tier 10 mediums between patches without something changing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Eh, it didn't as far as I know or remember. In all likelihood this is due to people not knowing where to shoot it since it is a rather rare tank.
It still bounces a fair share of shots, especially 175 pen shots, while the mobility makes sure that you never sit still.
A very enjoyable tank as long as one plays it as a fat medium.
The height is pretty great in those occasions when you can shoot over cover while only exposing your turret, like for instance the ruins on the hill on Himmelsdorf.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cardiac posted:

It still bounces a fair share of shots, especially 175 pen shots

Have you shot at one lately? The upper front plate bounces more than just the odd 175 pen shell like it used to, it will bounce an L7 shot no trouble at all with a touch of angling, the behaviour definitely changed significantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason no buff was recorded for it is because it was an accident their legendary QA never picked up.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Just fired up tank inspector, even with hefty angling it's having a hard time breaking 200 effective, and when it does that and goes into ricochet territory you have 80mm side. So my shots must have just been loving off to wherever then.

Bonus: It apparently has two frontal 20-35mm effective weak spots just above the tracks. Oh Ferdinand Porsche. :allears:

srb fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 26, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Have you shot at one lately? The upper front plate bounces more than just the odd 175 pen shell like it used to, it will bounce an L7 shot no trouble at all with a touch of angling, the behaviour definitely changed significantly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason no buff was recorded for it is because it was an accident their legendary QA never picked up.

I killed one yesterday by shooting it in the side and setting it on fire (also achieving my mission).
Like I said, they are kinda rare these days so I don't face them so often, but I can't remember any occasion when I have had problems penning them in tier8-10 tanks.
Also, I typically don't shoot the upper front plate on any tank for obvious reasons.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

That buff was recorded previously, they did mention it in 9.4 or 9.3, if I recall correctly. edit: 9.2 . http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/07/06/vk4502-ausf-b-buff-in-9-2/ edit: also http://forum.worldoftanks.asia/index.php?/topic/43096-my-opinion-about-the-vk-4502p-buff-in-92/#topmost

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

That's the tier 9 b, we're talking about the tier 8 a

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Cardiac posted:

Also, I typically don't shoot the upper front plate on any tank for obvious reasons.

I was shooting at it because the lower was generally hidden, and I recalled being able to shoot through them relatively simply. There was a minor flurry of them when the b was buffed, but that died down back to rare sightings fairly quickly.

Edit: Reply is not edit :argh:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Guys. For gently caress's sake. It's NTRabbit claiming that the VK4502A got buffed. Why are any of you taking it seriously?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Valle posted:

Guys. For gently caress's sake. It's NTRabbit claiming that the VK4502A got buffed. Why are any of you taking it seriously?

Who said we are taking it seriously?
Some of us enjoy seeing people digging their own grave with a little help.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Atomizer posted:

Oh yeah, did anyone watch my Archer replay on South Coast (or whatever the "Crimea" map is supposed to be)? I wanted to point out that not only did I predict where that T67 was going ahead of time (I pinged the map) because that's where I would've driven mine, I also called (to saintonan, over TS) that he was out of ammo as you can see from the replay. I didn't get to ~83% in the T67 by not knowing how to preserve its ammo!

Confirmed. The hilarious part is that he picked the Archer to ram - a tank that moves backwards as fast as the T67 was moving forwards.

In other news, I elited the SU-152 last night. I need to grind out about another 20k free xp to get the BL-10 and the tracks, then troll time will truly begin.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Got my first "High Caliber" award in the T29 yesterday. I'm glad for the advice to stick with one tank in a play session. When doing so, my WN8 is in the 1000-1100 mark, but when I'm platooning with my buddy or brother and we start playing tank carousel, it craters. I think I'm going to tell them to stick to at least a class in an evening. After practicing with one tank, jumping from heavy to TD to light is frustrating.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

MoraleHazard posted:

Got my first "High Caliber" award in the T29 yesterday. I'm glad for the advice to stick with one tank in a play session. When doing so, my WN8 is in the 1000-1100 mark, but when I'm platooning with my buddy or brother and we start playing tank carousel, it craters. I think I'm going to tell them to stick to at least a class in an evening. After practicing with one tank, jumping from heavy to TD to light is frustrating.

Maybe I should start doing this. My SOP has been to bounce back and forth between my main grind (T32, now M103) and whatever the "On Track to..." vehicle is. I don't really care about stats as much as I do about playing Tank Pokemon and getting that next tank, but I would like to have more high damage/high XP games than not.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

Maybe I should start doing this. My SOP has been to bounce back and forth between my main grind (T32, now M103) and whatever the "On Track to..." vehicle is. I don't really care about stats as much as I do about playing Tank Pokemon and getting that next tank, but I would like to have more high damage/high XP games than not.
My normal procedure is to get all the doubles I need for the tanks I'm grinding, then cycle through my favorite tank that I'm grinding and one of my premium tanks that I am used to playing. Sometimes instead of playing my favorite grind-tank, I'll favor whatever grind-tank I happen to be hot with that day. If my favorite is the WZ-132, but I'm doing great with the T-44 that day, I'll stick with the T-44.

I usually end every session with a couple Pz I C or Ltraktor rounds because I know I can win 70-80% of those and that they'll be fun and low stress. It's a reliable way to end on a good note.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Montion physics vids are out now

Go to 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQ5-Wkiftk

cant wait to watch pubbies try to flip their tanks off any clif.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

I've been sticking to my T29 a lot since I still need the top engine, turret and radio. My plan is top engine > radio > turret since the turret only give an extra 100 hp.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

MoraleHazard posted:

I've been sticking to my T29 a lot since I still need the top engine, turret and radio. My plan is top engine > radio > turret since the turret only give an extra 100 hp.

The turret gives two seconds off your reload on the 105mm. If you're using the 90mm with plenty of gold, fine, but otherwise get the turret.

Radios are worthless. Signal range is not view range. Get the turret if you're using the 105mm, get the engine is you're using the 90mm.

SARSfest
Oct 28, 2010

I like where this is going.
top t29 turret also gives you an extra 30 meters of view range, which is super duper important if you like sitting on hills hull down and far away.
I'd put the turret above the engine in terms of importance.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Anyone playing Blitz? I played on my desktop awhile back, but that machine died on me and I haven't really played since. I downloaded Blitz on my ipad the other day though and it's a lot of fun!

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Snakes in a can posted:

Montion physics vids are out now

Go to 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjQ5-Wkiftk

cant wait to watch pubbies try to flip their tanks off any clif.

Watching it go through those ridges on the hill was pretty interesting as well. I get the impression that it's going to open up some parts of maps that were either inaccessible or at least a pain in the rear end to get through.

Also yes, get the turret on the T29. As an added bonus on top of everything mentioned, stupid pubbies will shoot the turret ears because it's easy to penetrate (and is a zero-damage hitbox, so they do fuckall). This is better than them shooting the cupola, because they might actually pen that.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 26, 2015

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
heres what every new player to the game should do:

1. buy a löwe AND a T34
2. do not read any tutorials/wikis (SPOILERS!)
3. turn off chat
4. play those two tanks exclusively until you can free xp and buy an e100
5. play e100 forever

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

truavatar posted:

Anyone playing Blitz? I played on my desktop awhile back, but that machine died on me and I haven't really played since. I downloaded Blitz on my ipad the other day though and it's a lot of fun!

I play a few games now and again, my top tank so far is the Cromwell. It's pretty fun as a distraction.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Atal Vataman posted:

heres what every new player to the game should do:

1. buy a löwe AND a T34
2. do not read any tutorials/wikis (SPOILERS!)
3. turn off chat
4. play those two tanks exclusively until you can free xp and buy an e100
5. play e100 forever

Please stickie to OP tia.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

truavatar posted:

I find it more fun once you get away from tier 1 and 2 games, where a lot of the pubbies have absolutely no clue what they are doing, and will sit staring across a field while an enemy tank runs up to them and shoots them in the side over and over again. Wait, how is that different from normal tanks?

But it is kind of fun to play when I need to kill time and have nothing else better to do. I am working on getting my M4 so I can derp pubbies with my iPhone.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The turret gives two seconds off your reload on the 105mm. If you're using the 90mm with plenty of gold, fine, but otherwise get the turret.

Radios are worthless. Signal range is not view range. Get the turret if you're using the 105mm, get the engine is you're using the 90mm.

Got it. I have the 105mm, 2 seconds is very meaningful, that should get me to under 10 seconds reload. I didn't think view range was as important in a heavy tank, but maybe that's ignorant. Turret it is. Turret > engine > radio now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Agrajag posted:

Is there even a way for them for detect mods like warpack or whatever?

Yes, in the game folder there is a python log that runs when you start the game and takes an inventory of every mod installed. If they send themselves that file and run an audit versus known illegal mods they could buttfuck everyone who runs them but :effort: