Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MeLKoR posted:

I used to drink white milk with nothing but sugar on it but once when I must have been around 4 or 5 I was putting sugar in my milk and my mother kept warning me "are you crazy, that's too much sugar you're going to ruin it" to which I replied something along the lines "don't be dumb, sugar is great". I still remember distinctly trying to dissolve it all and it just wouldn't it was so saturated.

When I was like 3 or 4 I was drinking water with sugar mixed in it and my mother said "That's how you get diabetes!" and even though my grandmother didn't become diabetic until she was like 70 and it doesn't otherwise run in my family and I almost never eat sugary things and try to eat really healthy and I'm skinny... I'm still all :ohdear: about becoming diabetic.

fake edit: I've even had my grandmother check my blood sugar a few times just to be safe. :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

My regular diet consists of baked chicken, frozen vegetables, and water because I'm poor and a bad cook but also want to be at least a little healthy, but man do I fantasize about awful garbage foods a lot. To bring it back to zombie poo poo, I'd have a pretty rough time on the post apocalypse diet because I reckon a lot of their food is canned and I can barely stand the salt in one can of ravioli or whatever.

They should really show the gang eating some kudzu, since it's totally edible and ubiquitous in a lot of the areas they go through. Honestly I'd love a whole episode of them finding, preparing, and eating real life southern edibles, but I'm surely in the minority.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

I think finding wilderness like in ATL out here in LA would be considerably more difficult. I think it will be interesting to see the sprawl of civilization. Also water is going to be substantially more important in this one.

...what? How do you see California as being less of a "wilderness" than the east coast?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
What the gently caress is white milk, what other sort of milk is there.

Also plain milk is great.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

MariusLecter posted:

With mustard or just mayo?

Just mayo

Pharmaskittle posted:

I love potato salad.

Would you say that, today, you're more or less gay than you were as a child?

My test was faulty. I had no idea my sexual orientation was involved

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

freebooter posted:

...what? How do you see California as being less of a "wilderness" than the east coast?

Idk. I live in LA. It's a huge sprawling concrete jungle. Not saying CA doesn't have it's wilderness but if the show is in LA proper, they're going to be in cities and burbs for a very long time.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
The applesauce thing stood out because the writers are trying to set up a Lost style mystery where you don't know if they are good or bad for as long as possible. As anyone who watched Lost knows, this can be frustrating because it requires withholding basic, specific information, either from characters or the audience, that would indicate the basic alignment of the current plot.

In other words, if the food is safe and the guy was happy to test it for Rick and there was no "I hate applesauce" moment it makes it too clear that they probably aren't evil and the tension of the mystery is lessened. But playing your cards that ambiguously to lengthen the mystery means you get applesauce scenes that are written strangely and often stick out, and then get commented on.

It's not poor writing but it is definitely awkward in parts.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 26, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They did that with Michonne a few seasons ago. She knew things that would have been helpful, but she didn't talk because reasons.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm not saying that the writing in this show is any good but it's been explained several times itt exactly what Aaron was going for, why he brought applesauce with him even though he hates it and why he was pouting about being forced to eat something he doesn't like while a crazy man was practically holding a gun to his head. Aaron is really not the focus of the scene.

The tension in that scene is less about whether the applesauce is poisoned or not, but rather about how far-gone Rick actually is. If you want to complain about stupid trivial details how about the fact that Rick didn't wait 3 seconds after feeding the sauce to aaron before sticking the spoon into his own mouth and feeding it to Judith, that's not how poison works Rick.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Nah, it's way more likely just :lost: ambiguity. And it's really forced.

E: Aaron's initial motivations are inconsistent and incomprehensible, except as a "can he be trusted?" plot device.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 26, 2015

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The ambiguity was resolved within that very scene, the question of whether Aaron is trustworthy and whether he's really what he says he is has been resolved less than one episode after he first showed up, true it could have been a very very elaborate trick on behalf of him and his group, could still be, but the show has done everything to not be ambiguous about it, if it turns out that it was all a clever ruse and that Aaron's group are Terminus mkII then it would truly be terrible writing.

In the first place, why go to these lengths to lure a group of people into a trap when you've already got the drop on them and can set up an effective ambush without potentially sacrificing your own men, this plot has been played completely straight, everything Aaron said had made sense and was proven factually correct as he was saying it (i.e the water bottles, tracking the group, etc).

Aaron's actions are consistent with the fact that he has already determined that Rick and his gang are 'good people' he'd like to recruit, he probably knew that he'd have to intentionally put himself at Rick's mercy, suffer some abuse and be a good sport about it so that Rick would get the chance to start trusting him on his own terms.

I mean obviously it's bullshit that anyone would do that in the first place, but that's what this episode was all about, sure there was some dramatic tension consisting of whether it was a trap or not, but most of the tension was derived from whether Rick even has the capacity to trust people anymore.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I mean obviously it's bullshit that anyone would do that in the first place, but that's what this episode was all about, sure there was some dramatic tension consisting of whether it was a trap or not, but most of the tension was derived from whether Rick even has the capacity to trust people anymore.

I agree there was some interesting tension about Rick and how is he behaving. That doesn't change the fact that they are setting it up to be ambiguous. The applesauce was one way, but don't forget the town pictures with no people.

If they aren't going for a mystery then why not do this arc the way Woodbury was done? We saw the Governor kill that guard unit early on; here, they are doing everything possible to keep the good or evil question unresolved.

I actually like that I don't know which way it's going to break yet for sure; I suspect bad solely because this isn't the last season. They mostly have pulled it off so far but I was just pointing out there's some clumsy writing involved. Understandable - Lost style mysteries are extremely difficult to pull off sensibly and with such sophisticated modern audiences.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cingulate posted:

Keep going down that lane and we'll quickly enter Zombie origin stories I am sure!

Actually, with all the Wire alumni, I'm going the zombie cause flashback has McNulty screwing something up and asking "The gently caress did I do?" When everyone starts giving him the stink eye.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Actually, with all the Wire alumni, I'm going the zombie cause flashback has McNulty screwing something up and asking "The gently caress did I do?" When everyone starts giving him the stink eye.

The last thing you hear when Baltimore is overrun is a loud SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIITTT

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I love how they're setting this up. I think its going to be exactly like the comics and the way they're doing it not only shows how far gone he is, but also how far gone the viewers are. I just met Jesus in my readthrough of the comics and honestly if they stay the course with the show I think there are some really really cool things they're about to cover.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I mean, I friggin love this:

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/sneak-peek-episode-512-the-walking-dead-remember

Setting it up like the scene where Carl loses his shoe last season but I bet its just going to be a big cocktease

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

GrAviTy84 posted:

I love how they're setting this up. I think its going to be exactly like the comics and the way they're doing it not only shows how far gone he is, but also how far gone the viewers are. I just met Jesus in my readthrough of the comics and honestly if they stay the course with the show I think there are some really really cool things they're about to cover.

Well gently caress, I'm pretty sure I can guess what's going to happen just from your tone and very slight clues.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Enderzero posted:

The applesauce thing stood out because the writers are trying to set up a Lost style mystery where you don't know if they are good or bad for as long as possible. As anyone who watched Lost knows, this can be frustrating because it requires withholding basic, specific information, either from characters or the audience, that would indicate the basic alignment of the current plot.

In other words, if the food is safe and the guy was happy to test it for Rick and there was no "I hate applesauce" moment it makes it too clear that they probably aren't evil and the tension of the mystery is lessened. But playing your cards that ambiguously to lengthen the mystery means you get applesauce scenes that are written strangely and often stick out, and then get commented on.

It's not poor writing but it is definitely awkward in parts.

Okay. Make him highly allergic to it. Legit reason to not want to eat it.

Rick then forces him. Aaron has reaction. Rick is forced to help him. Rick realizes he wasn't bullshitting. Quick and easy fix.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That goes against the character and mood they're trying to set. Aaron is displaying a huge luxury that Rick and company can't afford. Pickiness. The group just ate a group of dogs with no qualms and this muhfugga has the nerve to say no I won't eat it because I don't like it. I think that was the tone they were going for.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Almost everything about Aaron is a thing that the group has lost. He's clean shaven. His clothes are clean and in good shape. He worked for an NGO, go figure someone who gives a poo poo about the welfare of others. Almost would go so far as to say that even his gayness is a thing, pursuing a relationship for personal pleasure and not for animalistic needs like procreation.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Rick then forces him. Aaron has reaction. Rick is forced to help him. Rick realizes he wasn't bullshitting. Quick and easy fix.

I like that more than what they went with. Like I said, I'm enjoying the setup minus the few rough edges.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

If you do this how does Rick know it's an allergic reaction and not suspet poisoning and shoot the guy.

Iron Clad Lou
Feb 12, 2008

I worked in an apple orchard for a few seasons so consider me an expert on this matter. Quality wise, the apples sold for applesauce are a slight step above the apples donated to the local juvi detention center. Unfortunately if you eat applesauce, you're probably eating more than a couple of ground up worms too. I could understand why someone outside of maybe Daryl would be apprehensive about eating the applesauce. Stuff is nasty,

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I can understand Rick's caution, he feels responsible for the safety of the entire group. When they were outside Alexandria I expected him to say, "If theses people turn out to be cannibals I'm gonna be really pissed."

Iron Clad Lou posted:

I worked in an apple orchard for a few seasons so consider me an expert on this matter. Quality wise, the apples sold for applesauce are a slight step above the apples donated to the local juvi detention center. Unfortunately if you eat applesauce, you're probably eating more than a couple of ground up worms too. I could understand why someone outside of maybe Daryl would be apprehensive about eating the applesauce. Stuff is nasty,
I thought they made applesauce as a preserve since apples will start to rot soon after they've been harvested.

Another nitpick is: why is there no guard tower at the entrance to Alexandria! I'd think the people inside would want to be able to see outside the gate and the wall. But overall, really liked the episode.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There's always something in every episode where I'm convinced different people are writing parts of the show and not sharing.

Rick: "if my friends aint back in an hour UR DEAD"
*Next scene, the group is lazily strolling along the highway SEVERAL MILES to where the cars were supposedly parked*

Also kind of neat they never actually showed them finding the second guy??

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Clad Lou posted:

I had opened the Mac Hardware thread and this thread in background tabs, and when I came to read this one, this post was horribly confusing as I was trying to dissect your metaphor for Apple, Inc.s hardware business.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bigass Moth posted:

There's always something in every episode where I'm convinced different people are writing parts of the show and not sharing.

*Next scene, the group is lazily strolling along the highway SEVERAL MILES to where the cars were supposedly parked*

I was actually expecting/hoping for Stuck In The Middle With You to be half way through by the time they got back. They sure weren't rushing that thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

Also kind of neat they never actually showed them finding the second guy??

They also built up tension by showing Eric spookily watching them and then instantly deflated it 20 minutes later with "Oh, that guy's just Aaron's boyfriend and is a totally nice guy, SYKE".

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Binary Logic posted:

Another nitpick is: why is there no guard tower at the entrance to Alexandria! I'd think the people inside would want to be able to see outside the gate and the wall. But overall, really liked the episode.
Assuming they're following the comics fairly closely for this part (and all implications so far are that they are), that'll be explained. Comix spoiler: They're really quite naive in Alexandria and haven't had to deal with rampaging gangs of rapists, murderers and cannibals, or huge zombie herds so they don't have any real defences except the wall to keep out wandering zombies. Obviously that's not going to last long when Rick and his beard show up. Where's the drama in everyone living happily ever after?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Well of course. I wouldn't think bandits would hang around an area where there's a huge chance of there being civilization with a form of law an order possibly backed up by the military.

Enderzero posted:

I agree there was some interesting tension about Rick and how is he behaving. That doesn't change the fact that they are setting it up to be ambiguous. The applesauce was one way, but don't forget the town pictures with no people.

If they aren't going for a mystery then why not do this arc the way Woodbury was done? We saw the Governor kill that guard unit early on; here, they are doing everything possible to keep the good or evil question unresolved.

I actually like that I don't know which way it's going to break yet for sure; I suspect bad solely because this isn't the last season. They mostly have pulled it off so far but I was just pointing out there's some clumsy writing involved. Understandable - Lost style mysteries are extremely difficult to pull off sensibly and with such sophisticated modern audiences.

I thought this show was a sort of drama, funny they'd do things to create drama.

and if they came right out and showed it like woodbury, everyone would be in here bitching about the lack of climax and calling the season over since there's not much they can really delve into beyond that. Just like how the complaints swapped from tired of seeing them in one place to tired of seeing them wandering.
there's two shows left, one they'll show the town, explore it and wander around, the second will likely introduce the next cliffhanger from comic spoilers.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

So let me get this straight: you think a way to improve the writing is to have a character who is smart enough to survive the past few years moving around in a zombie infested world with a backpack full of food he is highly allergic to.

All they had to do to make that scene work a little better was to set up that maybe the Alexandria people had never really recruited hardened survivors before. Maybe up to this point they had a strong leader, and were really just finding and recruiting the helpless and those about to die. Something happened at the camp, and the group knew they needed new leadership, not new people in search of help, so they go out in search of a different kind of recruit. The kind of recruit they usually steered clear of.

In that case, this would be the first exposure to the kind of people who might knock a guy out for extending an invitation back to a safe zone, and Aaron's actions would make sense: he never dealt with anyone putting him through tests before and threatening to kill him.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 27, 2015

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Jake Armitage posted:

So let me get this straight: you think a way to improve the writing is to have a character who is smart enough to survive the past few years moving around in a zombie infested world with a backpack full of food he is highly allergic to.

Well, he is moving around in a zombie infested world with a backpack full food that he doesn't want to eat because of reasons.

Gravity made a good point though and I think he's right

GrAviTy84 posted:

That goes against the character and mood they're trying to set. Aaron is displaying a huge luxury that Rick and company can't afford. Pickiness. The group just ate a group of dogs with no qualms and this muhfugga has the nerve to say no I won't eat it because I don't like it. I think that was the tone they were going for.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's also pretty at-odds with "ok I'll eat the applesauce but first I'll be a huge baby about it."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Well, he is moving around in a zombie infested world with a backpack full food that he doesn't want to eat because of reasons.

He brought the applesauce specifically for Judith, he wasn't 'travelling' with that stuff, he was bringing it to the group for a variety of rather sensible reasons.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Great episode; had a lot of what has been missing from the first 2 after the break. Just to back up the applesauce thing: my fiancee is a supertaster who was force-fed foods she couldn't stand as a child. Had that been her in Aaron's position, she would have vomited uncontrollably before the spoon even hit her mouth. Then how do you convince Rick that its just 'you' and it's actually safe? Creating tension and showing the luxury Aaron has to be picky were definitely the main points, but his initial refusal isn't just some goofy poo poo the writers pulled out of nowhere.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He brought the applesauce specifically for Judith, he wasn't 'travelling' with that stuff, he was bringing it to the group for a variety of rather sensible reasons.

So it makes sense that he would bring something even if he was allergic to it.

Moving on...

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

emanresu tnuocca posted:

His resistance was probably because he has been sheltered from the cut throat insanity Rick has had to deal with. Wondering what would be the point of poisoning Judith if it would result in his death is logical because to him doing it just to have Judith dead made no sense at all what so ever; so much so that not being forced to eat a food he didn't like was a much more reasonable solution than a possibility that would result in Judith's and his death.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah Rick certainly came across as a flexible guy who would respect his applesauce feelings, and just take it on faith that a stranger wouldn't gently caress with his baby's food.

I mean, people let strangers feed their babies backpack food all the time today, why would a desperate apocalypse scenario change anything?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

moths posted:

Yeah Rick certainly came across as a flexible guy who would respect his applesauce feelings, and just take it on faith that a stranger wouldn't gently caress with his baby's food.

I mean, people let strangers feed their babies backpack food all the time today, why would a desperate apocalypse scenario change anything?

This is the worst sort of "beep-boop human not act 100% efficient beep-boop" argument. The applesauce guy misjudged the situation, he was way out of his depth and failed at his role as a negotiator. It's no more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

steinrokkan posted:

This is the worst sort of "beep-boop human not act 100% efficient beep-boop" argument. The applesauce guy misjudged the situation, he was way out of his depth and failed at his role as a negotiator. It's no more complicated than that.

After he got knocked the gently caress out, tied up and was told he would get a knife stuck through his skull he was misjudging the situation? You don't have to excuse poor writing in an otherwise good episode by calling everyone autistic robots. It was a dumb moment.

• Locked thread