Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mister Speaker posted:

What happened to the TR808 that wore a life preserver in the pool?

It DIN SYNC

why does sq-80 poly go after S? sq-80 poly A T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

field balm posted:

Gonna chime in and recommend you just download a bunch of free vst synths and see which one appeals to you. You can learn basic subtractive synthesis on anything and it gets you 90% of the way, and you can do another 9% with free vst effects.

I'm a bit confused about the world of VST synth stuff (as I'm utterly and completely new to it)

Laserjet 4P posted:

Also, Massive is indeed very capable, but most of the tutorials you're going to find are for dubstep wobble thingies. U-He Diva also spans a wide range and does the vintage thing pretty well, but before spending a fuckton of money, give Tyrell and OBXD a try.

So Laserjet mentions Tyrelln6, but going to that site, following the links and downloading the synth shows that it appears to just be VSTs that you plug into a software synth you already have.

Am I missing something? I wouldn't doubt it if I would, but what are some actual free synth programs to pug it into if any?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've used savihost before. http://www.hermannseib.com/english/Savihost.htm just to play around with a vst. You can probably plug vsts into a DAW as well but savihost is a good way to jump in without worrying about that side of things.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 25, 2015

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

AxeBreaker posted:

I don't recommend the Electribe 2, it badly needs a firmware update and it may be march or April before we get one. I mean it sounds great as long as you stick to mono voices, but you can't mute anything without causing a delay between patterns. Some of the effects are unusable too. It is also kind of limiting in how you shape sound. You get one modulation option per part with 1 target, that's it. The modulator is either an LFO (of some waveform) or an A/D envelope, with speed and depth. Drum programming is really easy though. It's got great potential once the kinks are worked out but it's no substitute for a big synth with all the bells and whistles.

Huh, that's a bummer to hear. I liked my old one before it was stolen, so I was hoping they didn't drop the ball on the new one and I'd eventually get it. Seemed especially nice as a hardware device to get lots of MIDI devices listening to it too. Ah well, I'll hold off for now and hope that eventually it all gets fixed.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Mr. Glass posted:

forgive me if i've already asked this, but i have a question for people that use a lot of hardware effects. what's the deal with basically every mixer on the market only providing mono FX/aux send? right now my effects chain is all hooked up to the main out. since i have a kaoss pad as the last link in the chain, I just plug my headphones into that. is this the right way to go? should i stop caring about having a stereo effects chain?

Stereo is kind of a myth. Very few signals are actually stereo, and most send/return/parallel effects don't "think" in stereo terms as far as input, even if they put out a stereo output. Inserts are there for serial effects, and then mono sounds to devices that put out a stereo result. The idea of a "stereo send" doesn't really make sense.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

stillvisions posted:

Huh, that's a bummer to hear. I liked my old one before it was stolen, so I was hoping they didn't drop the ball on the new one and I'd eventually get it. Seemed especially nice as a hardware device to get lots of MIDI devices listening to it too. Ah well, I'll hold off for now and hope that eventually it all gets fixed.

It's ok for MIDI- each part has a fixed channel (16 parts) and you can filter the output to exclude program changes, cc's whatever. It doesn't output motion sequence CC's, just live ones. I'm thinking I'll keep mine if they can fix the transition/muting bug, and use my Ultranova for the poly parts. I think those poly problems go all the way back to the King Korg and are less likely to get fixed right away.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Stereo is kind of a myth. Very few signals are actually stereo, and most send/return/parallel effects don't "think" in stereo terms as far as input, even if they put out a stereo output. Inserts are there for serial effects, and then mono sounds to devices that put out a stereo result. The idea of a "stereo send" doesn't really make sense.

not sure i follow. are you saying that FX sends generally sum both channels into a mono signal because very few effects process stereo input in parallel?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My Lexicon MPX550 definitely handles stereo pan in its reverbs. I'd have to test the chorus and delays to see what happens there, because I suppose those are more ambiguous.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

if stereo's a myth, how come god gave me two ears

checkmate transistor man

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Plus a ton of "stereo" effects actually just return the same signal doubled and slightly off-phase.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Don't confuse "stereo effects" (as in effects used to make mono material sound like stereo material) with "stereo effects" (as in effects that take a stereo input, work with two channels internally and output stereo).

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
If y'all aren't reverbing in stereo you're doing something wrong.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

snorch posted:

If y'all aren't reverbing in stereo you're doing something wrong.

Some mono verbs are good: springs and (sometimes) plates. I can think of times when I might also reverb one part rather than a buss in mono.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
If you need effects then you do not know how to patch your synths. Effects are for guitarists and other children who don't grab raw sound from the ether and shape it to their wills.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Sizone posted:

If you need effects then you do not know how to patch your synths. Effects are for guitarists and other children who don't grab raw sound from the ether and shape it to their wills.

That may have been glib but it's actually not THAT inaccurate.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That was not glib.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Look at this luddite using effects on a synth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdCtUapVPfI

(Oh, but if that FX unit was built in to the synth itself it would be completely acceptable because it would be part of the synth's patch.)

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Sizone posted:

That was not glib.

Learn me how to patch delay & reverb, master.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Sjoewe posted:

http://www.synthesizers.com/q115.html duh

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

At the cost of polyphony, replicating a delay with extra notes isn't exactly magic.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
And reverb is a matter of vol env, filter env, stereo image and extra notes

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Thanks but no thanks, I'll reach for my MVII :911: :420:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Or you could just do the quickest, most direct thing, because one day you will die.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Thanks, but I'll keep using effects on all my stuff that is either mono or shares one envelope. I'll keep using effects on my one actual synth too, because why waste oscillators and envelopes when it's got 5 effects slots?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I agree that reverb and delay are effects that are stupid to do without effect processors, but compression for example is almost never needed when you're using a synth

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Effects are complicated.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Did someone say reverb module?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNin4yAEx5o

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Sizone posted:

I used to think this way too. It's wrong.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

wayfinder posted:

I agree that reverb and delay are effects that are stupid to do without effect processors, but compression for example is almost never needed when you're using a synth

Compression is like it's own artform/texture. Mr Oizo uses his compressors like another instrument. The response is actually really hard to fake, it goes way beyond simple volume up/down.

As for the discussion in general it's stupid and silly and I'm pretty sure Sizone said it just to get a rise. For fucks sake look at all that poo poo Aphex Twin posted in the Syrobonkers interview. Perhaps the most well regarded creator of soundscapes/cultivator of an individual sound spends as much if not more time scouting out and honing the use of new effects as he does synths. EQ's, exciters, limiters, noise gates (oh god, gating drums was a loving revelation. Have washed-out, muddy drums? loving noise gate your kick drum and toms especially. You don't need that tail, you just want the sharp transient kick in and drop off for nice crispy drum deliciousness), compressors, filter banks. gently caress you could probably make a sweet track just using feedback in your mixer to create a sine wave then running it through a shitload of fx.

FX is good.

toadee fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 26, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Sjoewe posted:

LFOs -> VCA, OSC TRIG

That I need to tell you this means that you did not first look into your heart for the answer. You, you have demonstrated that you are net yet ready to learn of reverb.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

toadee posted:

Compression is like it's own artform/texture. Mr Oizo uses his compressors like another instrument. The response is actually really hard to fake, it goes way beyond simple volume up/down.

I think wayfinder was more talking about surgical compression, not compression-for-effect. I'm inclined to agree; I've always found better results reigning in problem notes from my synths with EQ or note velocity. But yeah, finding the right compressor for effect purposes is absolutely a creative exercise. Different compressors have different response curves, release envelopes and handle ratios completely differently.

For example, I've always found something funny about Ableton's Glue compressor (which has fast replaced my SSL bus comp as my favourite parallel/sidechain comp). For some reason I seem to get pushier compression out of it at a 2:1 ratio than at 4:1. The GR meter even bounces further down, like the threshold curve is variable depending on the ratio. I particularly like this comp in a 2:1 for pumping sidechain purposes.

The reverb thing is a whole other ballgame. If you think you can get excellent-sounding reverb out of filter/amp envelopes and stereo imaging alone, you're crazy. There's so much more to psychoacoustic phenomena that can only be fooled by proper understanding of ER, predelay, transient response etc. etc.

So yeah, FX good.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Hey, this is nice. I'm a big fan of SampleRobot for making sampler instruments out of hardware (and plugin) synths and drum machines.

They're about to release SampleRobot Volca-X for the Volca Sample. Mac and Windows compatible.

EDIT: I presume it'll use SysEx over the MIDI port to dump samples to the Volca? (Or I guess just the sync in port like the iPhone thing's already using.)

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 27, 2015

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Oh yeah also, amp modeling. Oh god, amp model your synths. Or better yet, buy some cheapass old guitar amps and run the signal out to them and return a mic feed. There is sooooo much character in amp/eq/speaker stacks its crazy. This is 100,000% essential to all forms of 303.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's just good practice to have what goes into the mixer as close as possible to what you want it to be. I think that's all that's being said, really. It's like preventing problems, rather than spending time fixing them. You can gate your muddy drums and it's a totally legit thing. But you can also ask yourself: why not go back and pick non-muddy drums in the first place? In electronic music you totally can. And maybe next time, with a bit of attention, you just won't have to deal with muddy drums at all.

I spent a lot of time over the years using compressors and limiters during mixing in the box to get the levels right and that's just wrong wrong wrong. Same for just picking some synth preset and needing eight band EQ to get it into shape. Or using a delay as a lovely arpeggiator instead of going through the effort of programming the notes and have the opportunity to work in some variation. All time wasted trying to fix poo poo downstream while all what was needed was a little more attention and effort upstream to get a massively better result.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Because sometimes it's not possible to get it exactly right in the synth? Because sometimes you want to use X drum sample or Y drum machine, which even at it's best setting, has a kick or snare or tom with way too much tail. At the end of the day it's just sound, and however you get to it is good. There's no should or shouldn't other than 'you shouldn't feel like using FX to achieve a sound you like is wrong or cheating or anything, its just your way of doing it'

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
In the end, nobody gives a poo poo how you came to make the sound, unless you're some aphex-twinny wanker in which case it's part of your genius, naturally.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

wayfinder posted:

In the end, nobody gives a poo poo how you came to make the sound, unless you're some aphex-twinny wanker in which case it's part of your genius, naturally.

I'll have you know I sampled farting on a snare drum for 16 hours strait before I finally got a pure enough sample to use without having to resort to slathering it in effects.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

toadee posted:

Because sometimes it's not possible to get it exactly right in the synth? Because sometimes you want to use X drum sample or Y drum machine, which even at it's best setting, has a kick or snare or tom with way too much tail.
Well, then there's your answer to "Why not go back and pick non-muddy drums in the first place?" and you move on and do the gating thing. The point is that you ask yourself the question from time to time so you don't just keep moving forward with blinders on, possibly making it harder on yourself without a good reason. If you have a reason, by all means, do go forward. If you don't, next to applying a stack of effects, you also have the option to go back and change the sound at the source. And that's something that's apparently easy to forget, if you look at all the people all over the internet asking questions about how to get a kick, any kick, to gel with a bassline or whatever.

It's about keeping an open mind, not about restricting or policing yourself (or others, jesus).

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I use software samplers more than synths really - i bounce poo poo down asap and stick it in a sampler, so the effects on the original sound are just as important to the timbre as whatever waveform and modulation the synth was doing to start with. I guess I'm not really a synth purist like some in this thread, but resampling was when I started getting really intersting synth sounds going.

Also, my mixing started sounding way better once i stopped dropping compressors on individual sounds and buses all over the place (like all the production magazines recommend for some reason). I still stick one doing maybe -3db on my drum bus, and -1 on my master, but once i started using samplers for drums instead of just dropping a one-hit on the timeline, just turning down the decay to 10-100 ms (I guess this is kinda like what toadee was saying about gating) usually makes things sound snappier than compressing them (3630 style pumping effect still gets busted out every now and then though).

Someone is trying to get a one minute song compo going, I thought some of you guys might be interested too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701600. I'm gonna do an over the top idm thing after the restraint of my bonerjamz submission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I just wake up but are folks really suggesting that having a long release will make a reverb unnecessary? loving lol.