Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jeremy Irons has since turned out to be kind of an rear end, I suppose.

True, but that doesn't mean he's less amazing as an actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Vosgian Beast posted:

True, but that doesn't mean he's less amazing as an actor.

Also true.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

DStecks posted:

I don't care if this is the uncool thing to say, but I find JonTron to be absolutely hilarious in his solo videos. The man has a killer sense of comedic timing, probably just about the best of any internet critic.

I agree, his solo vids are great. The Barbie vid was really funny.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Jontron's stuff is pretty high quality, nice editing and I like the things he covers. Sure, he says dumb stuff on twitter sometimes but I'm pretty sure everyone does.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Hbomberguy posted:

If the let it go lady is the villain then it might be a good movie I dunno. I'll watch it when the hype dies down so I don't have high expectations.

She's not really a villain, more a sort of... I guess deuteragonist. There's a couple of shoehorned-in villains, who have almost no real impact.

It's not a traditional Disney story; it's about the relationship between sisters, albeit with a lot of other stuff thrown in because Disney is terrified of going too far out of its comfort zone. If you're inclined to give a poo poo about said relationship, and/or you like Disney fluff, it's pretty enjoyable. Otherwise, I can't see a reason to watch Frozen. It's kinda unfocused for anyone who's not already inclined to check it out. (I really freakin like it, but it hits a lot of my personal enjoyment points, and I tend to be a sucker for "superpowered girl with related angst" stories.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think the problem for me is that Spoony's gotten to the point where it seems like he just seems miserable and not ANGRY. Compare say, Highlander 2 videos to the Wrestle Wrestle stuff recently. He just seems tired and miserable. You're totally right in that the final 2 Ultimate reviews (the two parter) were really bad. The 8 review was a perfect mix of being funny, informative and angry. 9 was just a nonstop barrage of the same 3 jokes over and over and over and that Betrayal thing was really annoying.

Very much this. It feels to me like the running joke about Spoony screaming "BETRAYAL" becomes less and less of a joke as time goes on, I really feel that summarizes how he feels about his favorite game series. This is why I've never enjoyed his Final Fantasy videos, just like Ultima 9 they wallow in anger and misery in a thoroughly unfun way. There's a gag in his old Mazes and Monsters review where Spoony has a breakdown about how he's "Reviewing lovely movies and awful final fantasy games with a loving blue robot" and that gag has started to feel less like a gag from the other side of FF10 and 13 and Ultima 9.

I'm probably reading too much into this, I mean psychoanalyzing people over the internet based on exaggerated reviews is a pretty dodgy affair at the best of times. Still, there are enough videos where Spoony genuinely seems to feel bitter that it's hard not to notice.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Spoony is fascinating. His stuff gets better by orders of magnitude when you treat him not as a critic per se but some kind of insane performance artist. His entire 'career' is this exaggerated human mess, and it highlights the entire internet-critic culture thing, crazy obsessiveness with specific franchises eventually leading to sadness and misery and an overwhelming sense of personal betrayal.

The Ultima saga is like twelve angry men. You get this freaky guy arguing with cartoon exaggerations of himself about the apparent quality of some kinda janky looking old games with stories that weren't that well-told in them, then he digs deeper and finds his enjoyment is because of a deep emotional connection the series helped forge with his brother, who he still in real life lives with. I feel like the Spoony character could have ended there, that's the perfect conclusion to the weirdness that is all this internet stuff. In the end it's all a catalyst for real feelings between real people, even if the stuff itself is only good through some brief mutual lens. That's how it works on the internet also. I mean most of tgwgt was shite but look at the people it brought together.

imho that's why lets plays are prevalent in a lot of ways. The real fun of gaming is the participation between the players, it's just taking it in a new direction. Mario Party is garbage and always has been but playing Mario Party with my pals was the coolest thing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hbomberguy posted:

imho that's why lets plays are prevalent in a lot of ways. The real fun of gaming is the participation between the players, it's just taking it in a new direction. Mario Party is garbage and always has been but playing Mario Party with my pals was the coolest thing.

Mario Party is a metaphor for the universe; callous, arbitrary, and a catalyst for hatred.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Actually I'm pretty sure Spoony no longer lives with his brother.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Also, doesn't Spoony have a different brother, and that's the one who he played Ultima with?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Spoony moved to Illinois (?) to live with his girlfriend, and now they're buying a house. Guess that's where all that Patreon money went!

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Slate Action posted:

Spoony moved to Illinois (?) to live with his girlfriend, and now they're buying a house.

I'd better start on my wrestling vlogs.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I can't speak about individuals per se but what tends to happen is that internet critics start as creative people really engaged with movies, games, TV etc and who want to share their ideas and enthusiasm. As they get more attention and more praise - and at the same time getting tired of the treadmill of producing content every week/two weeks/etc (certainly when part of Channel Awesome, The Escapist, etc. where content was expected regularly) - they want to do something more. They want to show that they can produce creative work. You see this with Paul Morley, Neil Tennant and Morrissey in music, where they started as critics and writers then move into producing their own music. Criticism is often a gateway into the profession they are criticising. Lots of them made movie shorts when they were students (lots of them did media studies) and they want to escape the grind of producing reviews. It comes out in characters, skits, b-arcs etc.

The problem is that it is difficult to translate the skills for good short reviews into longer works of fiction. A lot of people who are not critics and have the same aspirations fail - I don't think it's a problem peculiar to internet critics. In these days of crowd-funding, critics actually have a better chance than most because they at least have an audience whereas Joe Schmoe from Nebraska Film School has no audience at all. But the problem critics have is that their fans expect something skit/character related, with lots of in-jokes, and some guest appearances of X and Y. That's not going to make a decent, original, standalone film that will be of interest in 10 or 15 years' time. But maybe just a 90-min video with familiar characters and in-jokes for fans are what these critics want to make.

You see a lot of critics straining to turn their reviews into art. They want to make something complex and satisfying, something that shows off their skills (however great or small those skills actually are). What a lot of them don't realise is that a really great review can be nearly as satisfying as art - it be as drat hard to make too. Sorry if that sounds patronising. Often what their greatest skill is is making us laugh with observations, insight, information, wit and enthusiasm combined with sharp editing and concision. That requires great skill and also the willingness to remove your ego. That doesn't mean removing your personal opinion but it means being willing to sacrifice really personal bugbears and party-piece turns to make a compact and fast-moving piece of criticism that works for viewers and also gives a fair representation of the subject discussed. (I've never been more irritated than a piece by an intelligent reviewer who I like even if I don't agree with her on everything. She misrepresented what she reviewed for the sake of running gags. It's good to have a slant on something but if you are misrepresenting it, you need to go back and redo your jokes or leave it to one side until you can do it right.)

So sometimes the things that critics get praised for - being really knowledgable, having strong opinions, being really creative - actually get in the way of them making good reviews. It is the same as novelists cramming all of their research into their books. They really couldn't leave out that fascinating piece of trivia they dug up in an archive. I know it's hard - especially if you aren't the first person to review a subject and feel like you have to give a slant to it - but if you can put aside your ego you can turn in a great performance. Don't listen to fans who think you're a great comedian or actor - these people are - like much of the population - completely clueless. They don't know anything about acting or comedy - just look at the stupid comments they put after videos. No, enrich your reviews with comedy and acting like seasoning - a pinch here and there.

Example: long-time readers will remember this, so apologies. Go look at Spoony's review of The Thing (2008?) (the PC game). It is 20 min. It is punchy, witty, intelligent, drily delivered, informative about the game and really fast (and fast moving). No screen time for Spoony. No acting, no skits, no memes, no callbacks, no b-arc, no personal anguish, no back story. That's one of the best pieces of criticism of pop culture I've seen. It tells me about the game, why it's rubbish, why it's a travesty of the movie, why it's tedious and frustrating and he makes all that funny. Spoony will never be that good again, I'm afraid, because now stuff has back story, it's personal, he's going to show you how much he cares and deeply he can hate.

And I don't care because they are not good reviews. The reviewer serves the review and thereby serves us all.

Apologies.

tl; dr: Josef K Sourdust is avoiding his work and loitering on the internet.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 27, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

You are, subtly, talking about the problems with the internet as a medium, and the need to constantly put out content to survive. You are talking about capitalism.

The internet or the entertainment industry begins as an escape from the fact that life is kinda boring and lovely, but slowly people bring the bullshit from life into it and make it worse. You have to keep making videos. You have to go into production. You need a schedule, and to advertise. Your continued access to food may depend on it. It's unsurprising that people's quality tends to go down as their popularity goes up and it becomes a potential form of gainful employment. The stuff that came out in recent tgwtg quittings was that it had become almost corporate, and crossovers were explicitly products. It's a low-rent version of the classic tale of art being destroyed through its own popularity and mass-production, Network style.

Again, let's read Antwiler's 'character' and arc as either a purposeful satire of this process, or an accidental satire by being one of the most over-the-top e-celebrity careers - whichever you prefer. You can look at his stuff as products with a decline in quality if you want but I'm genuinely interested in how his content in totality reflects the mental state of someone who has experienced e-fame in such a big way. In short, he's mad as hell and he can't take it any more, but he has to keep telling you this every night to stay afloat financially.

It raises questions about the way the internet celebrifies humans and the way productive or entertaining hobbies can get turned into a 'career'. While the obvious answer to these questions is 'communism', the more realistic one is that people shouldn't let being a content creator become their job for the sake of everyone involved, but especially themselves, or carve out a niche in such a specific way that it sort of can be both. RLM managed this pretty well.

tldr if you care about honest or entertaining criticism you need to start eating the rich right now, and also rich evans is cool

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I saw that Spoony's latest Wrestle Wrestle thing about the Royal Rumble was nearly two hours long, and I'm wondering how anyone can talk about a wrestling PPV for that long. Holy poo poo.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I've been to a certain super popular videogame streamer where the main host proceeded to elaborate, for nearly 3 hours, about a 2-3 minute Norm McDonald segment on a dumbfounded and confused but yet admired way, on more or less this tone.

Spoony at least had like 30, 1 hour maybe of content to talk about at least.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Colgate posted:

I saw that Spoony's latest Wrestle Wrestle thing about the Royal Rumble was nearly two hours long, and I'm wondering how anyone can talk about a wrestling PPV for that long. Holy poo poo.

It's actually very possible AND possible make it enjoyable to listen to. Here's the secret though: You have to have interesting things to add. I've been beating the horse of the AE podcast but here, compare that Royal Rumble video to this: https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast/king-of-the-ring-2000.

Now it's unfair in a few ways because this is three people doing it, but I'm sure Spoony can find people who are interested in wrestling he can talk about it with. It's all about actually discussing the issues with like minded people and having interesting things to say. The other thing is, that PPV the AE podcast looked at is MILES worse than the Royal Rumble yet it's STILL interesting and funny to listen to.

It's just that Spoony's just burnt out at this point.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I actually do want to listen to a podcast about the latest royal rumble, because the whole situation seems fascinating on what happened, but I'm too afraid to get into a huge jargon meta cast.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Spoony needs to just loving nut up and edit his vlogs, if only for how often he has a tendency to repeat himself for minutes on end after he's made his point. He also does in the Counter Monkey when he's ranting instead of telling a specific story.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tae posted:

I actually do want to listen to a podcast about the latest royal rumble, because the whole situation seems fascinating on what happened, but I'm too afraid to get into a huge jargon meta cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEiMgTKgxqw

Bryan and Vinny have a great one on it.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Paladin posted:

Does anyone know if the success of Geek and Sundry's Tabletop has led to other critic like shows focused on board games? If there was a group of people I liked/tolerated that just played interesting board games I would totally keep it on as background noise while working.

Like, there was some youtube show called Board with Life that was about people who play board games and their ZANY LIFE and I was thinking, look, these actors seem like pleasant people capable of being funny, can they skip the fiction and just play games instead? I just checked and it looks like they realized this too and they have lots of gameplay videos recently posted.

The exception to that is, of course, James Rolfe.

Any other good shows of people just playing and reviewing board games?

DiceTower is pretty good, although they seem to have a thing against old board games.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's actually very possible AND possible make it enjoyable to listen to. Here's the secret though: You have to have interesting things to add. I've been beating the horse of the AE podcast but here, compare that Royal Rumble video to this: https://soundcloud.com/the-attitude-era-podcast/king-of-the-ring-2000.

Now it's unfair in a few ways because this is three people doing it, but I'm sure Spoony can find people who are interested in wrestling he can talk about it with. It's all about actually discussing the issues with like minded people and having interesting things to say. The other thing is, that PPV the AE podcast looked at is MILES worse than the Royal Rumble yet it's STILL interesting and funny to listen to.

It's just that Spoony's just burnt out at this point.

Spoony's always been like that though. He rambles on for waaaay too long. His reviews are better because he actually bothers to edit them. His vlogs are good to throw on when you're doing something tedious and want to listen to a nerd rant in the background, but I can only take about 2 hours of spoony before I've had enough.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DStecks posted:

Spoony needs to just loving nut up and edit his vlogs, if only for how often he has a tendency to repeat himself for minutes on end after he's made his point. He also does in the Counter Monkey when he's ranting instead of telling a specific story.

Agreed. Honestly you think with his years as a dm he would know that most of the time people would rather listen to the interesting tales than his personal gripes with players. All the stories you have and instead you tell audiences, who for the most part aren't able to play these games for one reason or another why they aren't playing their types correctly.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Any thoughts on Razorfist in this thread? He's a decently witty/smug/funny metalhead crossed with the early eras of Zero Punctuation and Nostalgia Critic imho.

Shadow of Mordor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QP_sHJ5UHU
Street Fighter 2 movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Idrksk_55o

He ripped on the Amazing Atheist recently so I automatically was interested in him. #drama :sissies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I1X-UH3GOQ

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Leal posted:

Don't know if it was mentioned in the recent shitstorm, but Jon Tron uploaded a video about barbie video games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml8gK3B3daE

I've never watched Jontron before and I don't have a massive interest in games in general, but that was genuinely very entertaining.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Any thoughts on Razorfist in this thread? He's a decently witty/smug/funny metalhead crossed with the early eras of Zero Punctuation and Nostalgia Critic imho.

KayTee in the last thread posted:

Kim Justice posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only thing you need to know about Razorfist is that him and Asalieri (of "Reviewing a Reviewer"/being a horrible shithead on the internet fame) are superfriends. He's awful.

I remember the two of them doing a wonder twin team up attempt during Spoonygeddon. It was dumb and sad and awful.

I only remember that specifically because Razorfist's name made me lol. It made me double lol when he turned out to be exactly the kind of guy, in appearance and manner, who would call themself 'Razorfist' and expect to be taken seriously.

e: VVV :3: VVV

Tracula in the last thread posted:

If I was ever trying to do a douchebag persona online as some youtube ranter rear end in a top hat I doubt I could do it as well in jest as xRazorfistx does genuinely.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 27, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

DeusExMachinima posted:

He ripped on the Amazing Atheist recently so I automatically was interested in him. #drama :sissies:

This guy is such a perfect douchebag that I would almost think he's a parody of the whole edgelord angry jackass reviewer. Seems he's genuine though.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

When Alan Moore said in one of his interviews that the fans of comic book movies tend to act like stubborn children, Razorfist made a video equivalent of "NO U", where he said that Moore's contributions to comic book medium are basically nil, he's a mediore hack and everything he ever did is garbage.

So edgy!

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

WOW, this guy is terrific! Thanks for introducing me to his youtube channel.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

PiedPiper posted:

When Alan Moore said in one of his interviews that the fans of comic book movies tend to act like stubborn children, Razorfist made a video equivalent of "NO U", where he said that Moore's contributions to comic book medium are basically nil, he's a mediore hack and everything he ever did is garbage.

So edgy!

So edgy that summary alone just lopped my head right off.

Thank God I'm still able to see my monitor from the bedroom floor...

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
All I'm seeing is a 9 part series on gaming journalism and an unironic "metalgate" video with the tag "sjw." Not going anywhere near this fellow.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

The guy made with Asalieri a video screaming at Lupa during the matters of Spoony a few years ago so what were you expecting here?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
What's metalgate?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like a chicago sunroof, but with more Twitter.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

What's metalgate?

It is like that thing with games, only with Metal.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Did actually have cause to interact with Razorfist a while back over said thing. He's dumber than a breezeblock.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Tracula posted:

This guy is such a perfect douchebag that I would almost think he's a parody of the whole edgelord angry jackass reviewer. Seems he's genuine though.

He definitely reminds me of Yahtzee as someone who can make me laugh but who I probably couldn't stand in person. He's been going for a few years without having and/or at least spilling his guts about any personal life disasters he may have a la Spoony or TGWTG.

I'm sure slow mo meltdowns are good poo poo but I don't care enough to watch months or years of long rear end vlogs for the payoff or just to hear some jokes. It's just pathetic. Razor gives me bite sized comedy so ehhh

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 27, 2015

FrankenVonVogler
Nov 4, 2013
Somebody I know is making a short series about film appreciation and elitism, thought some people in this thread might be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NsVB7zvPd8

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PiedPiper posted:

So edgy!

Something about Alan Moore can just send that type of personality into a hilarious spiral of anxiety and really strange defensiveness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

PiedPiper posted:

So edgy!

Said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Arb_oPvXdM

My favorite little thing is that he makes fun of how Moore dresses. I'd take an awesome looking crazy hobo over some moron wearing aviators indoors any day.

• Locked thread