Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014
So, an I crazy or did we get a new build updating fights? I just noticed a few little UI changes, namely a purple turn counter and tracking for who's gone and who still has to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Operant posted:

I think there are slightly more attacks that hit the first two rows since dudes that can deal a lot of damage/stress (skeleton bowmen, courtiers, etc) usually can only hit up there with their weaker attacks.

That's as much enemy position management as it is tanking, in which case I guess the best way to protect the back row is to kill the other dudes as fast as you can. (will also protect the front row)

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Then it sounds like a combination of Plague Doctor - Bounty Hunter - Occultist - Bounty Hunter is an interesting idea with a ton of synergy and control over all 4 ranks of the enemy position. What sort of attacks do you recommend for an Occultist in the front 2 rows? Curse of Vulnerability, Hands from the Abyss, Sacrificial Stab, and Wyrd Reconstruction if you have to hit the panic button for healing seems like a decent loadout.

Unfortunately, it seems a shame to have to sacrifice a turn to get into healing position. I guess you could swap out the third rank BH for a GR and then have Lunge on tap for the swap. I think it speaks to the amazing class design in this game that there are tons of very interesting and strong party compositions but there's no real way to have it all.

Edit: except for 3 Hellions and a Vestal

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Or 3 Bounty Hunters and a Vestal. I was watching a friend play with that team and it was basically Point At Guy -> Maim Guy -> Kill Guy -> Heal Up every turn, even against bosses. Three Flashbangs can hilariously gently caress up an enemy team, too.

Really the only downside is no multi-target damage, but when you can stun, pull, mark, and deal hellish damage to anything while keeping yourself healed, who cares?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Or 3 Bounty Hunters and a Vestal. I was watching a friend play with that team and it was basically Point At Guy -> Maim Guy -> Kill Guy -> Heal Up every turn, even against bosses. Three Flashbangs can hilariously gently caress up an enemy team, too.

Really the only downside is no multi-target damage, but when you can stun, pull, mark, and deal hellish damage to anything while keeping yourself healed, who cares?

I'm going to try out a Vestal-Occult-BH-BH team tonight. I tried and liked the Vestal-3x BH team, but I felt like my 3rd BH was pretty much just there for marks. If I can get my Occultist doing the marks instead, I can fall back on Wyrd Reconstruction for single heals when no one needs to get tagged.

E: I'll have to find some sort of speed trinket for my Occult so he goes before the Bounty Hunters, but they both have same base speed, so hopefully one speed trinket plus Cleansing Crystal will do the trick.

E2: I might try out OC-3x BH too, but that seems a little bit too glass cannon-ish for my purposes. I'm finding myself using Vestal party heal pretty much every round of every dungeon run, I don't think I'm going to be able to lean on Occult single heal in the same way.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 26, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm going to try out a Vestal-Occult-BH-BH team tonight. I tried and liked the Vestal-3x BH team, but I felt like my 3rd BH was pretty much just there for marks. If I can get my Occultist doing the marks instead, I can fall back on Wyrd Reconstruction for single heals when no one needs to get tagged.

E: I'll have to find some sort of speed trinket for my Occult so he goes before the Bounty Hunters, but they both have same base speed, so hopefully one speed trinket plus Cleansing Crystal will do the trick.

E2: I might try out OC-3x BH too, but that seems a little bit too glass cannon-ish for my purposes. I'm finding myself using Vestal party heal pretty much every round of every dungeon run, I don't think I'm going to be able to lean on Occult single heal in the same way.

I have such poo poo luck with +spd trinkets, but i'm rolling in +speed quirks - probably 1/3rd my characters have quick or fast reflexes or what not.

You could try OC/PD + 2 BH. The occultist can mark a target, the PD can stun the back two and your BH can use Finish Him and Collect. Finish him can hit any row so you can even hit those weak targets in back, and get 33% bonus damage from having them stunned. The stun will also help reduce longterm stress accumulation and damage by hamstringing the back rows effectively.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Unwise_Cashew posted:

So, an I crazy or did we get a new build updating fights? I just noticed a few little UI changes, namely a purple turn counter and tracking for who's gone and who still has to go

There was definitely a patch yesterday, I didn't get to test it out though.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Don't forget that the Occultist has a personal +speed camp buff that can help him go before the bounty hunters.

Regarding a possible patch, I had the necromancer hit the back row for heavy damage and drop the mark I put on him as a single action. Is that new? I thought marks were supposed to be overpowered on bosses due to them sticking the entire fight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zaphod42 posted:

There was definitely a patch yesterday, I didn't get to test it out though.

Any notes?

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Build Update #7740 (PC and Mac) posted:

Introducing the Turn Indicator!

We have talked extensively about communicating a bit more to players with regard to turn order and combat rounds. We decided that while exposing the complete turn order per round would provide a huge tactical benefit, doing so risks eroding much of the round to round suspense that we feel is important. Our solution is to indicate who has yet to act in the current combat round by displaying an icon beside characters' health bars. This allows players to more easily track actions in a given round, and clearly demonstrates that (with the exception of some bosses) all combatants only get a single turn per round.

Other changes in this update:
Fixed issue when selling back items out of order while provisioning
Can now use number pad Enter key when renaming heroes or entering estate name
Fixed mouse / touchpad focus problems when interacting with buildings in town
Fixed blurriness issue when running at lower resolutions
Fixed Windows 8 automatic scaling issue
Save file handling improvement to prevent loss of gold on entering dungeon crash
Fixed target icons not animating when they are not active

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Tons of people in the thread were asking for a more clear turn order, so there's your answer. Its a deliberate design decision.

I don't think I ever had trouble keeping track of who'd already gone this turn, so I'm not sure this makes much of a difference, but it could help some people.

Course this is all subject to change yet again if people keep complaining about turn order.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you get a phone call or are otherwise distracted midfight it can be very handy.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Especially if you are fighting more than one of a single enemy type and can't remember which one has already acted and which one you need to stun.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

KPC_Mammon posted:

Especially if you are fighting more than one of a single enemy type and can't remember which one has already acted and which one you need to stun.

This is only somewhat confusing to me when there are multiple rabid dogs and they all do their lunge attack, so they shift in ranks and it can be a little hard to keep track of where they go if something like a crit happens.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I like to :350: while dungeoning in the dark, so this update suits my needs.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is anyone else mildly discomforted by the character's tiny feet? It's unnatural I tell you.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Eschatos posted:

Is anyone else mildly discomforted by the character's tiny feet? It's unnatural I tell you.

Yes. I've always felt the way they walk is way too tweened compared to most of the other animations, but it's a minor gripe and something I can obviously overlook.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Whatever you do, don't play Bravely Default or Fire Emblem :ohdear:

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bitcoin bastard posted:

I like to :350: while dungeoning in the dark, so this update suits my needs.

Even without enhancements I'm glad to see this patched in. It's just a quality of life improvement, and if they make it optional for l33t hardcore dungeoners then all the better.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Whatever you do, don't play Bravely Default or Fire Emblem :ohdear:

If video game design has taught me anything, it's that either you can have females ingame or feet. Not both. It's just too much work!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Thankfully indie game devs have gotten around this problem with the exciting new development of stick legs

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Androgynous stick legs are the future!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dackel posted:

If video game design has taught me anything, it's that either you can have females ingame or feet. Not both. It's just too much work!

Its because concept artists are all fans of Rob Liefeld and would rather hide tiny boots than admit they can't really draw feet.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dackel posted:

Females and feet are allowed as long as there is a 100-1 boob-foot ratio.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Fix the dang double-quirk bug on Mac, guys!!

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

paranoid randroid posted:

Fix the dang double-quirk bug on Mac, guys!!

Game on a real computer, noob.

Ocanthus
Sep 29, 2009
One of my Crusaders got both 'Known Cheat' and later 'Gambler' meaning he couldn't reduce any stress until after a trip through the asylum.

I let him get cooked in the Hag's pot rather than deal with his bullshit.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ocanthus posted:

One of my Crusaders got both 'Known Cheat' and later 'Gambler' meaning he couldn't reduce any stress until after a trip through the asylum.

I let him get cooked in the Hag's pot rather than deal with his bullshit.

This happened in my first week with a Hellion that would only drink to relax and after the first expedition swore off drinking. I do wish it wasn't possible to get exclusive opposites like that.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sloober posted:

This happened in my first week with a Hellion that would only drink to relax and after the first expedition swore off drinking. I do wish it wasn't possible to get exclusive opposites like that.
Why not, it's funny.

Exclusives like 'can only drink' and 'can only gamble' at the same time should be disallowed (pretty sure they already are). However a guy who refuses to drink but really really wants to fits perfectly in this game.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I still think having Gambler and Bad Gambler as only negative quirks is the best thing ever.

E: The best ever would be starting with Gambler, getting Bad Gambler after the first trip to the Tavern, then getting Known Cheat a couple weeks after that.

E2: Can I see a single character's history week by week? If I can't yet, I hope that makes it into the game eventually so we can get Dwarf Fortress style character stories.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 26, 2015

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Conflicting quirks are the best thing ever.

e. also getting a negative quirk from an unusual place is also great. It allows the player to use their imagination to fill in the gaps.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Tons of people in the thread were asking for a more clear turn order, so there's your answer. Its a deliberate design decision.

I don't think I ever had trouble keeping track of who'd already gone this turn, so I'm not sure this makes much of a difference, but it could help some people.

Course this is all subject to change yet again if people keep complaining about turn order.

I think it's nice. I've had trouble figuring out which enemies haven't gone sometimes if there are a couple of the same type and I wasn't playing too close attention.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

Conflicting quirks are the best thing ever.

e. also getting a negative quirk from an unusual place is also great. It allows the player to use their imagination to fill in the gaps.

bitcoin bastard posted:

E2: Can I see a single character's history week by week? If I can't yet, I hope that makes it into the game eventually so we can get Dwarf Fortress style character stories.

Agreed on both points. I posted earlier about a Leper who just soaked up other illnesses like a sponge, he was a piece of poo poo but I loved him until he died (RIP sickest leper in history)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reading through the whole thread, but early on the opinion seems to be that Plague Doctors are awful. Is that still true? I've loved mine (she's the only remaining person of my original four; Dismas and the Vestal died in the same dungeon, the Vestal to being Masochistic while on Death's Door and killing herself, while Reynauld died in some other filthy hole), and she's been a beast. Noxious Blast stacking is great, it occasionally crits for surprising base damage, and when you realize that if an enemy is Blighted for more damage than they have health remaining you can ignore them because they're basically already dead, it becomes so much easier to know who to focus on/that you can squeeze in some healing without worry because the last enemy is just going to keel over its next turn, and so on. The Bleed/Blight heal is great too, and has secondary utility as an emergency anti-DD move (though I haven't hit Death's Door in a while), and of course the back-row stun move is fantastic. Only change I'm thinking of making to her is swapping her damage buff (which I never use) for the back-row poison bomb since sometimes big things hang out back there and need to die rather than just be stunned until the things in front of them die.

Edit: Also she has some of the best camp moves. Two heals, one of which is massive for a 75% chance of success, and she also has the self-heal I should probably train her in sometime. In-combat her healing is generally only applicable to the aforementioned anti-DD thing, but out of combat she's pretty much the best. It's great.

Also she's loving insane and it's great. Three different manias for three of her four flaws, while her bonuses include ranged accuracy and stuff. Threw a Sniper's Ring and a Blight Stone on her as well (so she's less accurate in the front row, which doesn't matter because she's useless there anyway, and has a bit less health, but has a bonus to her blights and is super-accurate from range) and have her hang out in the back, behind the Vestal (who is almost always occupied with healing or stunning), Bounty Hunter, and Leper.

Tangent, funny story about that party. Leper and Vestal ended up going Paranoid, while the Plague Doctor was Abusive. Bounty Hunter, meanwhile, got a positive stress thing I can't recall at the moment. He also killed like 90% of the enemies. So, he'd murder a thing, get a stress reduction for it, and the Plague Doctor would immediately berate him for his lack of finesse and being a crude butcher, giving him stress and canceling out the bonus. This just kept going until the dungeon was over, the Bounty Hunter brutalizing his way through things, the Plague Doctor insulting him for it, and the Leper and Vestal being nervous wrecks and the former refusing the latter's healing so, so often.

These four are by far my best team. I love them. Sadly they're too strong to take on the first hag so I've been training up a B-team... Whose Crusader left after seeing a holy vision or something so I don't actually have the full team. Ugh. Going to need to find other ways to kill time or something, or go in with one person who isn't quite up to snuff to replace him.

But yeah, loving the game so far. Only complaint is that from what I've seen the bosses of each area are identical except for more health and stuff, which is kind of a letdown. Them getting nastier and looking different and having different gimmicks as you got further and further would be great.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Man the swine prince is hilariously weak to debuffs. Take an occultist there and equip him with weakening curse and cast it every turn. I had him down to -75% dmg and -30% acc. I don't think he ever hit me for more than 1 since i dodged the first couple turns.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Only change I'm thinking of making to her is swapping her damage buff (which I never use) for the back-row poison bomb since sometimes big things hang out back there and need to die rather than just be stunned until the things in front of them die.

Plague Doctor is great, but I'd suggest using the damage buff more often. All damage modifiers are additive (including modifiers from skills), which makes the damage buff from PD amazing with classes with AoE attacks. I'm not a fan of the back-row poison bomb since I'd almost always rather deal direct damage or stun instead.

Use the damage buff before your crusader/occultist/jester/highwayman/graverobber/hellion/whatever use their AoE and watch as the enemies just disappear. It also stacks if you use it multiple times before the duration runs out.

Edit: The buff starts out kinda weak, but at rank 3 it'll increase Highwayman's Grapeshot's damage from 50% to 70% or Jester's Solo from 0% to 20%.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 27, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KPC_Mammon posted:

Plague Doctor is great, but I'd suggest using the damage buff more often. All damage modifiers are additive (including modifiers from skills), which makes the damage buff from PD amazing with classes with AoE attacks.

Use the damage buff before your crusader/occultist/jester/highwayman/graverobber/hellion/whatever use their AoE and watch as the enemies just disappear. It also stacks if you use it multiple times before the duration runs out.

Fair point. Though... I actually don't have any AoE in that main party, now that I look at it, beyond the party heal and the Doctor's stun. That might be a big factor; the way I play that party is focusing things down one at a time because every enemy is a major threat be they at full HP or 1 HP (the exceptions being, again, things that are Bleeding/Blighted for more health than they have remaining, which are dead and don't know it yet and can be ignored), so killing one thing is better than moderately hurting three because that means one less potential crit, status effect, stress boost, or whatever else every turn after that. As such she's usually stunning the back to keep it under control or helping murder the front.

I should probably try mixing up the party, though, when my B-team catches up with the main one and can join them on the more dangerous missions. See how that works out and such.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Roland Jones posted:

Fair point. Though... I actually don't have any AoE in that main party, now that I look at it, beyond the party heal and the Doctor's stun. That might be a big factor; the way I play that party is focusing things down one at a time because every enemy is a major threat be they at full HP or 1 HP (the exceptions being, again, things that are Bleeding/Blighted for more health than they have remaining, which are dead and don't know it yet and can be ignored), so killing one thing is better than moderately hurting three because that means one less potential crit, status effect, stress boost, or whatever else every turn after that. As such she's usually stunning the back to keep it under control or helping murder the front.

I should probably try mixing up the party, though, when my B-team catches up with the main one and can join them on the more dangerous missions. See how that works out and such.

It really depends on your team, it can definetely pan out if you build for it.

You either kill 1 enemy per turn in a single target party, or kill 3 enemies on turn 2 with an aoe one (at least the ones I've used)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Dackel posted:

You either kill 1 enemy per turn in a single target party, or kill 3 enemies on turn 2 with an aoe one (at least the ones I've used)

3 enemies on turn 2 works exceptionally well if you focus your camp abilities on gaining surprise. Early on you can often win an encounter before the enemy can even act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

:stare: Didn't know that could happen, glad it was my Sun Ring and not the Agility Talon he was also carrying.