Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The fact I've heard every one of these makes me wonder if we need to do something about literary rates among grown loving adults.

Sound it out like a kindergartner, for fucks sakes, people. Or is that too hard for an important businessperson (read: run of the mill office worker) too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fuuuucking Java

DON'T BLOCK

DON'T BLOCK

ACCEPT

DON'T BLOCK

DON'T PROMPT AGAIN FOR THIS APPLICATION

DON'T BLOCK

RUN THIS UNSIGNED APPLICATION

DON'T BLOCK

and then a java error to top it off.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Martytoof posted:

DON'T BLOCK

My team supports a small payment application right now for our CSRs, but only for password resets (not our team's job, and that's something we've been trying to give to helpdesk for AAAAAAAAAAGES), and it's hosted on our vendor's site. There's some problem with their security certificate though and I have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to open the website. Yay for PHI and PII making everything a nightmare here.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gyshall posted:

Linksky - the Polish networking company

Just be glad those people never tried to say "PCMCIA card."

Also: Why do I still remember "PCMCIA?" :negative:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
TWAIN is still the best acronym, and I don't care how you pronounce it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Crowley posted:

TWAIN is still the best acronym, and I don't care how you pronounce it.

TWAIN is one of those mystery acronyms that I've never bothered to figure out what it stands for or what it even is. I think you have to pick a TWAIN source when scanning to a program, but other than that :iiam:

And I'm okay with that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Agrikk posted:

TWAIN is one of those mystery acronyms that I've never bothered to figure out what it stands for or what it even is. I think you have to pick a TWAIN source when scanning to a program, but other than that :iiam:

And I'm okay with that.

It doesn't stand for anything. It's the set of APIs and protocols for interfacing scanners and digital cameras to regular computers.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Agrikk posted:

And I'm okay with that.

"Toolkit/Technology Without An Important/Interesting Name"

It's a backronym, but it's so good that it's stuck around.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah I dun goofed on that. It's still fun though.

NyxBiker
Sep 24, 2014

Agrikk posted:

And I'm okay with that.

From my "extremely deep" google searches I found out it means "two". As "he split the spar in twain". Here you go gentleman.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Reminds me of the time I had to explain to the helpdesk guy what a "dongle" was.

"You see, when a PC and copy protection love each other very much..." :cheeky:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

Fuuuucking Java

DON'T BLOCK

DON'T BLOCK

ACCEPT

DON'T BLOCK

DON'T PROMPT AGAIN FOR THIS APPLICATION

DON'T BLOCK

RUN THIS UNSIGNED APPLICATION

DON'T BLOCK

and then a java error to top it off.

Any chance you need to add a certain site to your Trusted Sites?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dick Trauma posted:

People Can't Memorize Computer Industry Acronyms

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Dick Trauma posted:

I used to work with a guy who was in love with the VESA bus for some reason. Not sure if he was talking about the motherboard slot or the bus he used to ride to school.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

:cool:: "Hey caiman, please take a look at this .NET app and see if you can figure out why the table formatting is messed up on this page. I've checked all my changes into TFS."
:): "Sure I'll take a look."
*Visual Studio throws error*
:): "Looks like you still need to check in some files."
:cool:: "Okay all done."
:): "You need to check in your changes to the web.config."
:cool:: "Okay done."
*Project finally loads, but page in question can't be found by the browser.*
:): "Something isn't right. What version of .NET is this app using?"
:cool:: "Oh yeah you need to be in VS 2010, not 2013."
:(: "Fine"
*Ten more minutes of trying to get the page to load locally, I finally get it.*
:): "Ok it looks like you've got some problems with your placement of <br> tags. You need to enclose them in <tr><td>s."
:cool:: "Yeah that's what I noticed."
:(: "Wait, you knew what the problem was?"
:cool:: "Yeah."
:(: "Then why didn't you just make the change yourself?"
:cool:: "I was feeling worn out mentally and wanted to go to lunch."

I loving swear to god.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dick Trauma posted:

Reminds me of the time I had to explain to the helpdesk guy what a "dongle" was.

"You see, when a PC and copy protection love each other very much..." :cheeky:

It's funny when the older folk debate amongst each other the difference between dongle and widget is.

Acronyms are fun, especially if I need to configure the DIC (Dial In Config).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Gyshall posted:

I used to work with a guy who was in love with the VESA bus for some reason. Not sure if he was talking about the motherboard slot or the bus he used to ride to school.

I remember a sales rep gave me an ESDI lapel pin when he came by the software store where I worked. Poor guy had to evangelize against SCSI and IDE and he knew it was a losing battle.

Which reminds me: I was creeped out by the weirdos who referred to SCSI as "sexy" and not "scuzzy."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Super Slash posted:

It's funny when the older folk debate amongst each other the difference between dongle and widget is.

Acronyms are fun, especially if I need to configure the DIC (Dial In Config).

I still wish that somehow it was Variable Subnet Length Mask so that the acronym would be pronounced Vee-slam.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:suicide:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

NyxBiker posted:

From my "extremely deep" google searches I found out it means "two". As "he split the spar in twain". Here you go gentleman.

I love that this is literally true - and the quote that inspired it was "... and never the twain shall meet", since connecting scanners and computers was a complete mess at the time.
It seems to have been mostly superceded by WIA (windows image acquisition) these days, anyway (though I'm sure it lives on).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

Any chance you need to add a certain site to your Trusted Sites?

This is for my iDRAC and it's already in my trusted sites list :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Had to present to CAB today, and got a little murdered. It wasn't my change I was defending, and I think I was screwed going in, but quite a few people told me that I held up better than expected.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Okay I'll do it

Kazinsal posted:

The fact I've heard every one of these makes me wonder if we need to do something about literacy rates among grown loving adults.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
To be fair, grown loving adults are writing far too much literature these days.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

I have one of those. Instead of "Fiscal," it's "Physical." There was a guy that worked in our department named Geraldo, who was always "Gerardo." In a trait seemingly shared by literally everyone over 40, "Firefox" became "Foxfire".

The first one annoyed my boss so much that she (boss) actually sat her (serial english murderer) down and tried to get her to actually say fiscal. It was like talking to a small child.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt32Q0XP2Bw

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

OBC driver!

Shut up dude.

"There's bank accounts, with numbers on them"

Duh.

"It gets it from the file"

What file? You mean the MySQL database? Or do you mean the JSON the webserver shits out? What file are you always talking about? You must be UNIX you consider everything to be a file!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Mispronounced names?

INTENDO

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

caiman posted:

I loving swear to god.

Oh my god, never help this cocksucker again.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Dick Trauma posted:

Personal
Computer
Memory
Card
International
Association

or

People
Can't
Memorize
Computer
Industry
Acronyms.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, one of these days I'm gonna properly cert our systems' management pages.

Yep, any day now :\

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

"It gets it from the file"

What file? You mean the MySQL database? Or do you mean the JSON the webserver shits out? What file are you always talking about? You must be UNIX you consider everything to be a file!
"The file from the system isn't working."

What file? What system? :argh:

Your bloody group uses five different systems in your daily job and we probably have close to a hundred in total. I'm not psychic, lady. Give me some details!

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Martytoof posted:

What firmware level are you at? There was an update specifically due to the Java signature requirements.

Also: Had someone set the specific iDRAC webpage as the trust listed, not the IP /resolved name itself. And yeah, you'll still get some requirements due to Dell signatures.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

caiman posted:

:cool:: "Hey caiman, please take a look at this .NET app and see if you can figure out why the table formatting is messed up on this page. I've checked all my changes into TFS."
:): "Sure I'll take a look."
:): "Looks like you still need to check in some files."
:cool:: "Okay all done."
:): "You need to check in your changes to the web.config."
:cool:: "Okay done."
*Project finally loads, but page in question can't be found by the browser.*
:): "Something isn't right. What version of .NET is this app using?"
:cool:: "Oh yeah you need to be in VS 2010, not 2013."
:(: "Fine"
*Ten more minutes of trying to get the page to load locally, I finally get it.*
:): "Ok it looks like you've got some problems with your placement of <br> tags. You need to enclose them in <tr><td>s."
:cool:: "Yeah that's what I noticed."
:(: "Wait, you knew what the problem was?"
:cool:: "Yeah."
:(: "Then why didn't you just make the change yourself?"
:cool:: "I was feeling worn out mentally and wanted to go to lunch."

I loving swear to god.

This is why I might be the worst team lead in existence.

underling: "How do I do this thing and get this other thing to work?"
me: "What did you find when you googled it?"
underling: "Uhhhhhh...."
me: "GTFO"

Then I found out they've been purposely submitting their garbage for code review because they can get me to explain why poo poo is wrong without them having to make :effort:.

I don't even want to do code reviews for these lazy shits, anymore.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

RangerAce posted:

I don't even want to do code reviews for these lazy shits, anymore.

Then the code goes into prod untested, and you get to figure out what broke at 3am when they scheduled the merge to take place.

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Then the code goes into prod untested.

Oh hell no it doesn't. Test coverage ftw. Bamboo runs the tests and if they fail, the person who made the pull request gets assigned blame and they have to fix everything. I GOT MY rear end COVERED BRO

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: This loving error

I'm 100% certain it's PowerShell compiling the cmdlet on run and for some reason it's failing. :negative:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Sales: "Hey PeeNamaste, can you write a script that'll mass mail all these people on linkedin that we don't know?"
Me: "Sure. Just give me the copy and I can have that ready in a few minutes"
Sales: "Good because this is TOP PRIORITY!"
I finish the script in a few minutes
Me: "Hey it's ready give me that copy bro"
Sales: "Okay I haven't had time to do the copy yet I'll let you know when it's ready"
24 hours later
Me: "Hey man do you have that copy? Don't we have to send this out asap?"
Sales: "Oh yeah, I just manually messaged everyone last night, so I don't need it anymore"

:argh:

It's not really a big deal but poo poo like this happens all the time. I get treated like a bottle neck, I get the work done ahead of schedule, and then the people who wanted the loving thing in the first place ends up being the bottle neck.

Also our head of marketing absolutely ruined the spreadsheet that she's been insisting is super important last night. It's a pointless spreadsheet, but we've been working on it because she's stuck in the past and refuses to learn salesforce. But now I have to take time out of my day to fix the spreadsheet she ruined otherwise I'll never hear the end of it.

Sorry I know these complaints aren't super IT related, but we're a software company if that helps? :shrug:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Kill All Sales and Marketing People

mewse
May 2, 2006

peeNamaste posted:

Also our head of marketing absolutely ruined the spreadsheet that she's been insisting is super important last night. It's a pointless spreadsheet, but we've been working on it because she's stuck in the past and refuses to learn salesforce. But now I have to take time out of my day to fix the spreadsheet she ruined otherwise I'll never hear the end of it.

Do you have incremental backups? Go back to the version that isn't ruined and add her changes in a non-ruinous manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

After almost a full month of phone and in-person interviews and last-minute reference madness the HR VP just called to offer me the job I've been chasing. She wound up insisting on talking to my old CEO and I decided to go with it, contacting him first to prep him. She says he gave me a fantastic, detailed recommendation which helps balance out the stupid bullshit his company put me through.

I start Monday. Sr. Vice President of I.T. with my first six-figure salary, a large increase over my last position. Better late than never! I will put what I've learned at the last job into play here. Now my plan is to try and educate myself on the things that could help keep me at this level for the next part of my career, like project management. At 48 (even a young-looking 48) I have to make sure what I offer is in keeping with what employers expect of someone of my age and experience.

Thank you all for listening to literally years worth of employment drama. I can't tell you how many times it's helped keep me on an even keel, and it's partially responsible for how quickly I bounced back from my flame-out at the last place. I feel much better positioned to deal with this next job due to all the advice I've received.