Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Considering Alchenar masterminded the Schlieffen redux that won us that game, I'd imagine this free set up will be great. Please AAR it, folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Well it wasn't exactly operation Overlord, but I will give the ATG AI this, it saw me not building any Navy and ran units behind my line. That will teach me to not invest enough in PP to be able to build at least one combat naval unit when I share a body of water with my enemy.

Playing Stone Age you really have to evaluate every expenditure of PP really hard. And I really should have invested in subs or something by now.

China only holds Tokyo with a small stack of engineers :stonklol:, and I am certain we will drive them back into the sea on the next turn, but this is all still a...

http://youtu.be/dcL5bJuFw4A
:suicide:

The worst part is I saw the cargo ship, and didn't even think twice about it. That is just what I get for rushing my last turn late at night while drunk.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

VendoViper posted:

Well it wasn't exactly operation Overlord, but I will give the ATG AI this, it saw me not building any Navy and ran units behind my line. That will teach me to not invest enough in PP to be able to build at least one combat naval unit when I share a body of water with my enemy.

Playing Stone Age you really have to evaluate every expenditure of PP really hard. And I really should have invested in subs or something by now.

China only holds Tokyo with a small stack of engineers :stonklol:, and I am certain we will drive them back into the sea on the next turn, but this is all still a...

http://youtu.be/dcL5bJuFw4A
:suicide:

The worst part is I saw the cargo ship, and didn't even think twice about it. That is just what I get for rushing my last turn late at night while drunk.

I had to come back to realise that I hadn't been reading Grey's WITP thread.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Playing Sealion on DC:WtP with my opponent enabling every variant, how hosed is he? He disabled Gas Attacks although I'm still able to gas the gently caress out of his units with the card.

So do we have all the Goons ready for the Fall Gelb game? I assume Army Group A starts up the game then sends it to people's email on the op thing?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I am ready and pumped, my email should be in the google doc thing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah whoever pulled Germany A gets to set things up.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

oh god, thats me, what do i do.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
play OKH/W (I forget) and Army Group A, set your poo poo up, end your turn, send the save to the next person (me). And so on.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Are we using any of the variations?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Oh I see, freesetup, no dyle.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I've been a goon for three and a half years and I just now realized we had a spreadsheet in the OP. Way to go, dublish.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Ok turn file sent to Maev.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

ElBrak posted:

Are we using any of the variations?

Fox only, no items, final destination.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
I finally coaxed Tomislav into starting a Developers' Diary, explaining the choices he's making as 2x2 develops the next Unity of Command.

Here he talks about why the next Unity of Command game will have units retreating more often instead of being destroyed.

Please let us know what you think about this new mechanic.
Will the decreased casualties lead greater realism? Will players get bogged down in a sea of half-reformed units?

Didn't WitE have a similar mechanic, with the Russians reforming destroyed 'empty' divisions in the rear? How did it work out? Was it annoying?

PS Tomislav insists that he hates writing and that he's no good at it, but I think he does a great job.

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 27, 2015

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
IIRC wite had a system where you had a certain percentage of the manpower of destroyed divisions trickled back into the pool simulating men fighting through enemy lines to get back to their own. In the actual war the germans had enough infantry in 41 that when they created those pockets and ground up the divisions therein there wasn't that many successful instances of soviet troops getting back to their lines. By case blue there had been so many casualties that even the so called full strength divisions lacked the infantry manpower to shut down every road so you had a lot more men getting back to their lines and consequently being used in the counterattack that winter. Wite didn't really simulate that, they just did a flat percentage and divorced it from reality.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ElBrak posted:

Ok turn file sent to Maev.

Its best to have everyone on the email chain that passes the email so we can tell who's stalled.

Also its customary to set your password to 'goon' so if you die or get sent to prison or get cancer ( godspeed happy hedonist) someone else can pick up your part of the game.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

dtkozl posted:

IIRC wite had a system where you had a certain percentage of the manpower of destroyed divisions trickled back into the pool simulating men fighting through enemy lines to get back to their own. In the actual war the germans had enough infantry in 41 that when they created those pockets and ground up the divisions therein there wasn't that many successful instances of soviet troops getting back to their lines. By case blue there had been so many casualties that even the so called full strength divisions lacked the infantry manpower to shut down every road so you had a lot more men getting back to their lines and consequently being used in the counterattack that winter. Wite didn't really simulate that, they just did a flat percentage and divorced it from reality.

Interesting.
We're still waaaaaaaaay early in development, so I don't know yet how these mechanics will shake out.

How does War in the West handle encirclements and destroyed units? How does it compare to history?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Its best to have everyone on the email chain that passes the email so we can tell who's stalled.

Also its customary to set your password to 'goon' so if you die or get sent to prison or get cancer ( godspeed happy hedonist) someone else can pick up your part of the game.

I set my paswords to lljk.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

I finally coaxed Tomislav into starting a Developers' Diary, explaining the choices he's making as 2x2 develops the next Unity of Command.

Here he talks about why Unity of Command 2 (working title) will have units retreating more often instead of being destroyed.

Please let us know what you think about this new mechanic.
Will the decreased casualties lead greater realism? Will players get bogged down in a sea of half-reformed units?

Didn't WitE have a similar mechanic, with the Russians reforming destroyed 'empty' divisions in the rear? How did it work out? Was it annoying?

If I may suggest a title: 2nity of Command :boom:

Seriously though, what stood out to me was the mention of a Deliberate Attack mechanic and a No Retreat Defense: one of the problems with WITE was that there was very little control in how much you could attack ask your units to attack or defend with. Technically there was a Hasty and a Deliberate Attack, but the Hasty Attack was never used past the first half-dozen turns of Barbarossa.

There was a sort of dynamic they tried to implement with regards to replacements: anything the Germans destroyed before Dec 1941 would be reconstituted for "free", and then anything after that the Soviets would have to pay for with their limited amount of Admin/Political Points, but I don't think it ever really worked out as neatly as it was supposed to because A. the free period caused gamey behavior in terms of whether you would or wouldn't completely overrun Soviet units, B. the Soviet army would turn out to be entirely ahistorical anyway because the Soviets were free to use their Admin Points to "buy" whatever army they wanted and C. the reconstitution still had to go through their incredibly convoluted refit/logistics algorithm where replacements were parceled out on a per-squad, per-gun, per-tank basis.

I have a lot of hope that this system will work better simply on the basis of UOC's units being composed of discrete steps.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Interesting.
We're still waaaaaaaaay early in development, so I don't know yet how these mechanics will shake out.

How does War in the West handle encirclements and destroyed units? How does it compare to history?

Those comments made by the dev seem to be focusing on larger battles or campaigns. If uoc goes big campaigns like Barbarossa and case blue as one big map I will be forever happy.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Well I can't wait for the DC game to get started, I played a little of the France scenario controlling only Army Group A and did OK.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Heading home from work now and I'll get my turn done.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Re: Command

Virginia class subs like to hit flank speed and cavitate like hell after launching a torpedo. This can be bad for their health if there's something hunting for them...I assume that it's a decision to quickly move away from the origin point covered by the noisy torp and panicking target.

Is there a way to effect this behaviour other than stabbing at the manual controls?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
Sent over to you Alchenar, do your worst! :Edit: or not, is Alchenar@outlook.com your email? I'm getting it rejected when sent.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Keep away from children
CM:RT is my first CM game, I love the eastern front but I do wonder if Combat Mission doesn't really suit it that well. I normally don't enjoy the whole D-Day thing and western front (too much exposure as a kid) but the demo of CM:BN seemed really fun with all the bocage and poo poo, and after completing two missions on CM:RT in a row which literally involved going across 2km+ of open fields with 50k units I'm starting to feel a bit byelorussianed out.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

Hey gradenko_2000, I see on the spreadsheet you got War Plan Orange, you interested in try a game of that sometime?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Re: Command

Virginia class subs like to hit flank speed and cavitate like hell after launching a torpedo. This can be bad for their health if there's something hunting for them...I assume that it's a decision to quickly move away from the origin point covered by the noisy torp and panicking target.

Is there a way to effect this behaviour other than stabbing at the manual controls?

You could turn off the doctrine for automatic evasion.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I think we (well, Grey Hunter) should officially recognise Ultimate General: Gettysburg by adding it to the OP. What a great little game! I love it. And a great introduction to wargames I think. I'd give anything to see a bunch of other battles recreated in the same engine.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
In all his copious free time he needs to also add CMANO, CM:BS and WITW.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

pthighs posted:

In all his copious free time he needs to also add CMANO, CM:BS and WITW.

I thought CM:BS was already in?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I think that's CM:Shock Force.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

pthighs posted:

I think that's CM:Shock Force.

No, I meant the column for Combat Mission: Black Sea.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

You could turn off the doctrine for automatic evasion.

Tried that, and the doctrine for respecting EMCON under attack, but it seems consistent that a short while after the torpedo launch, the sub heads directly for the target at flank, cavitating like mad. I *would* be astonished if the launching platform was evading it's own torpedo, or even if evasion at flank above the themocline is a good idea.

I have considered that the sub is trying to keep up with the wire guidance, but it still does it if I switch the torp to terminal guidance with it's own seeker.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

dublish posted:

No, I meant the column for Combat Mission: Black Sea.

Ah, yes, you are correct. I was referring to the text in the OP with a summary of popular Grog games.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Hav posted:

Tried that, and the doctrine for respecting EMCON under attack, but it seems consistent that a short while after the torpedo launch, the sub heads directly for the target at flank, cavitating like mad. I *would* be astonished if the launching platform was evading it's own torpedo, or even if evasion at flank above the themocline is a good idea.

I have considered that the sub is trying to keep up with the wire guidance, but it still does it if I switch the torp to terminal guidance with it's own seeker.

Yeah, it shouldn't be evading its own torp but rather trying to avoid being hit by torps fired in retaliation. The automatic behavior of a sub is governed by its mission, 3 different types of ASuW / ASW . What mission do you have the sub under; and mind uploading or emailing me (baloogan@gmail.com) a save or something?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kieme went and did the T-72B3 and the T-90A skins now:
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/117795-kiemes-modding-corner/page-20

Looks pretty sweet.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In Advanced Tactics Gold, is the terrain type "Forest Loaf" meant to be leaf, ie. deducious forest?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Can I deduce that you mean deciduous? :mmmhmm:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think he means delicious. Delicious loaf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Goddamn.