Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Misandu posted:

Monster Hunter is too well balanced for the only weapon that can use items while unsheathed to not be designed around it. I'm sure you can still be successful without relying on bombs and items while using SnS but I would wager you'll never be as effective as someone who does.
Well items you should definitely be using and normal bombing. But stuff like stylish bombing requires a specific skill and is a real pain in the rear end online.

I really like SnS. You do have to craft a lot if you want elemental advantages, but at least the system is really straight forward. All of my friends explained the damage stuff to me incorrectly because 4u uses a 1.0 coefficient on elemental damage whereas every other MH game used .7 (wtf?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
"Thrashgash Scionfire" I imagine is one of those hammers with pointy bits on the front, or some kind of incredible GWAR hunting horn.

Runner up: "Seltas Overclocker", for making your big dumb bug bigger/dumber :3:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I've gotten 3 Magala Plates and 2 S. Magala plates without trying, and yet I've fought like 10+ HR Zamitros' and I still haven't gotten Paddock Oil+s.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Neo_Crimson posted:

I've gotten 3 Magala Plates and 2 S. Magala plates without trying, and yet I've fought like 10+ HR Zamitros' and I still haven't gotten Paddock Oil+s.

Try the Tetsucabra Hunt-a-thon and pick up shiny drops. The odds a little better and they're fast to kill. That's how I got mine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vire posted:

Just use Ping's Dex it has the right names for everything.

Yeah but that's not as accessible on the web :cheeky:

https://sites.google.com/site/pingsdex/pingsmh4gdex/en_us seems solid though

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Cat Machine posted:

Figured you guys would get a kick of this. I'm a big fan of the weapon names in this game, so I threw together a little script that uses some Kiranico data to auto-generate weapon names!

"Build Wall"

Yep, these are Monster Hunter weapon names.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I got a few from the dual Tetsucabra high rank hunt. Good luck!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Figured you guys would get a kick of this. I'm a big fan of the weapon names in this game, so I threw together a little script that uses some Kiranico data to auto-generate weapon names!

Dark Matter Maelstrom Final

I expect it to be a HBG that shoots black holes.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

Ideas:
Meowshi (Miyoshi)
Meowgami (Mogami)
Meowri (Mori)
Kittybatake (Kitabatake)
Imewgawa (Imagawa)
Satomew (Satomi)

Or just go here, pick some names and go nuts.

Ho! Those are good ones, thanks.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
So how does multiplayer in this game work, exactly? Is it fun playing with random hunters? I kind of want to do all the HR1 quests in the Gathering hall with people, but I'm not really sure if random people are up for collecting 4 gargwa egg quests.

Should I just make a lobby and wait, or what do I do?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So how does multiplayer in this game work, exactly? Is it fun playing with random hunters? I kind of want to do all the HR1 quests in the Gathering hall with people, but I'm not really sure if random people are up for collecting 4 gargwa egg quests.

It's easy enough to join other peoples' lobbies. The matchmaking search form is pretty good at finding folks. I haven't seen any unforgivable pubbie sins yet, but my multiplayer progression is also way on the low end of LR still, so that stuff might not be as glaring yet.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Man up and do the eggs by yourself. :colbert:

Really, people hunting online mostly only want to do standard hunts. Slaying little monsters or gathering or what have you is best done on your own if you do want to clear the entire list of quests. Or with a friend that will understand and also want to do the same thing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm learning how to use IG now for reals because I need to look as awesome and stylish as possible whenever we get this:

If I'm unlucky and this turns out to be on the light background (edit; nope!) that's an event/reward/DLC IG whose bug is a swarm of butterflies.

edit2; don't browse for 'monster hunter' on tumblr without the adult stuff locked, what the gently caress was i thinking

Pierson fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 26, 2015

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You don't have to do all the egg and gathering quests to advance your rank, just most of the big monster ones (Google for "key quests" to find out which ones are necessary). On the single player/caravan side the egg quests etc. are worth doing because they net you upgrades for your shops & other facilities in town, but I don't think the online ones confer the same benefit so unless I'm wrong there's really no reason to bother

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I kept my low rank set with the Nerscylla armor and para sns to play with my casual monster hunter friends and I gotta say that speedsetup is a great skill even without bombing. I always bring both traps, 2 traps tools and 2 nets - so I have a total of 3 pitfalls to drop during the fight. Speed setup also makes your trap combos 100% without combo books, so it's well worth taking along with sns.

It's fantastic to drop a pitfall after a combo near the end of a paralyze, especially with a hammer user. On monsters that fly out of the traps I always tag them with a flashbomb as they escape to knock them out of the air and I'll set another pitfall on top to loop that for as many traps as I have. I just read on Gaijin Hunters blog that KO actually gets an extended duration while they are pitfalled, which always seems to happen during that horrible, horrible moment for the monster.

Even though I'm using every weapon in the game as equally as I can, SNS is still one of my top 3 for sure due to its versatility - if not abusing status effects if you stay on them like a bulldog with an elemental build and still do great damage and get a few trips off. Having a shield to block roars, flashes, wind and tremors is just icing on the cake.

I'm not pro enough yet to evade through that stuff consistently yet without evade+1, but dammit I'm trying.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

goferchan posted:

You don't have to do all the egg and gathering quests to advance your rank, just most of the big monster ones (Google for "key quests" to find out which ones are necessary). On the single player/caravan side the egg quests etc. are worth doing because they net you upgrades for your shops & other facilities in town, but I don't think the online ones confer the same benefit so unless I'm wrong there's really no reason to bother

I'm not 100% clear on how the system works, but doing more unique quests levels up your guild card, and the higher level your guild card the better veggie elder tickets you'll get from playing with other people. And there's a finite number of possible veggie elder tickets you can earn, so there is at least some value to doing every single quest at least once early on.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

goferchan posted:

but I don't think the online ones confer the same benefit so unless I'm wrong there's really no reason to bother
you need to do certain ones to upgrade your kitchen. the list is in the op

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The worst of pubbie multiplayer are people who don't read the quest text and kill instead of capture, failing a quest. I'm not sure if pubbies even bother capturing at all.

The second worst are all the morons wielding IGs and tripping everyone. I heard long sword was the nightmare at doing this in the old games but I can't imagine anything worse than IG.

Bad CB users are up there too.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 26, 2015

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Pierson posted:

I'm learning how to use IG now for reals because I need to look as awesome and stylish as possible whenever we get this:

If I'm unlucky and this turns out to be on the light background (edit; nope!) that's an event/reward/DLC IG whose bug is a swarm of butterflies.

I feel like you specifically would already know what this is from, but for anybody curious this is themed after the manga/anime series "Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic" which is actually pretty cool.

I don't think there's any major licensing issues at play with this one in particular, so we should see it in a few months.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

The worst of pubbie multiplayer are people who don't read the quest text and kill instead of capture, failing a quest. I'm not sure if pubbies even bother capturing at all.

The second worst are all the morons wielding IGs and tripping everyone. I heard long sword was the nightmare at doing this in the old games but I can't imagine anything worse than IG.

I've been using IG primarily in Single Player content and less than a handful of times in multi; does anyone have any tips for using IG in multiplayer so I'm not that guy tripping everyone?

I try to distance myself from other players and use the X - X - A combo highlighted in the Gaijinhunter tutorial, but all the attacks appear like they swing out way too wide. I'm thinking the forward+X - A - A combo might be better when other players are near, due to the A double slam having more vertical attack angles than the bread and butter combo.

The IG combos which utilize the backflip attack are hella slick and I love pulling them off, although I'm not too sure of how efficient the damage values are on that.

Damone
May 3, 2009
"Veined Bastard Final"

Only one image comes to mind and it's most decidedly a dong hammer.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Colorspray posted:

I've been using IG primarily in Single Player content and less than a handful of times in multi; does anyone have any tips for using IG in multiplayer so I'm not that guy tripping everyone?

I try to distance myself from other players and use the X - X - A combo highlighted in the Gaijinhunter tutorial, but all the attacks appear like they swing out way too wide. I'm thinking the forward+X - A - A combo might be better when other players are near, due to the A double slam having more vertical attack angles than the bread and butter combo.

The IG combos which utilize the backflip attack are hella slick and I love pulling them off, although I'm not too sure of how efficient the damage values are on that.
It's really as easy as not standing on top of people. Bad IG people run all over the place trying to aim their bug and then swing their weapons at the same time and it's really annoying.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Colorspray posted:

Almost all your IG moves don't trip anyone that's not in front of you. They have a a 60 degree or so cone to the front that they hit in, so just don't stand on top of somebody and you'll be a-ok.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rascyc posted:

Bad CB users are up there too.

Colorspray posted:

I mentioned this before, but I was playing with a LS user as an IG user; basically he was tripping me constantly with spirit slashes, except when I had super armor from my triple-buff, then I was tripping him constantly (and laughing about it because before that I was getting tripped to hell and back every time I went in so I didn't feel as bad as I probably should have). I'd say the LS is still worse because it's, well, longer, and has more horizontal swings, so spirit slash spam is harder to avoid, whereas the IG is still mostly hitting in front of it with some side hits as well.

Anyway, tips for not doing that: Don't stand next to a partner when you go mad with your X-X-A combo, basically. Your flurry of attacks hits a little to the sides of you as well as in front of you, so have a little distance between yourself and the other hunters and it won't be a problem. This will also help you avoid getting tripped up yourself if you aren't buffed, a la my story above.

Also, I tried the random weapon generator. "Jvalayati Eclat" I don't know what to make of this.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Damone posted:

"Veined Bastard Final"

Only one image comes to mind and it's most decidedly a dong hammer.

First thing that came to mind was a Gunlance or Heavy Bow Gun. After all, it needs to be cocked! :v:

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Sage Grimm posted:

First thing that came to mind was a Gunlance or Heavy Bow Gun. After all, it needs to be cocked! :v:

No matter what, it needs Khezu parts.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

drat it, why do I want to spend money on these drat plushes

http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-Monster-Hunter-Series-Tigrex/dp/B00ENSU7K8/ref=pd_sim_t_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0EFBSVG0GYM4YC2CH71F
http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-Monster-Hunter-Zinogre-Japanese/dp/B005SY09SG/ref=pd_sim_t_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=1MH5J15Y76HEBCZHM2BB

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

uhh because they're adorable?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The question is, why haven't you already bought them. My Zinogre should get here next week :3:

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Purse Hammer
Empty Rifle
The Lethal Blade
Power Ghost

These are pretty great.

Edit: The Great Great Sword

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I've been grinding the village out and I'm in high rank village right now. I was looking at available armors to upgrade my Rathalos set to, and I started crafting Mono S. it seems to have some nice skills, Atk Up L and Potential build in. With enough slots to get pretty much anything else that has 2 slot gems as well.

Anyone craft this set out and come up with a nice bonus skill? I was considering going to Atk Up XL, but it would leave me with a lot of slots that I wouldn't be able to fit in yet another skill most likely.

Or going with something even basic like Speed Sharpener and Atk Up XL if I could manage it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So I've been grinding the village out and I'm in high rank village right now. I was looking at available armors to upgrade my Rathalos set to, and I started crafting Mono S. it seems to have some nice skills, Atk Up L and Potential build in. With enough slots to get pretty much anything else that has 2 slot gems as well.

Anyone craft this set out and come up with a nice bonus skill? I was considering going to Atk Up XL, but it would leave me with a lot of slots that I wouldn't be able to fit in yet another skill most likely.

Or going with something even basic like Speed Sharpener and Atk Up XL if I could manage it.

I jammed in Autotracker for utility purposes because I got a Psychic +8 charm. Once I get a decent Expert charm I'll be throwing Expert into it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Chainslaughter Wuchtblick
Death Venom Vendetta
Pride of Blow(:quagmire:)
Rooster Cymmetry
Cocytus Le Désastre Final
Sentoryu del Sol
Shock Esurience
Velocidrome Zaggespanon
Webbonscylla Gravemace
The Extricating Stone Fist+

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Charge Blade can certainly trip by accident but its pretty easy to not trip people with it if aiming correctly like the IG. However it feels like next to none of the CB moves have super armor so its like the freaking worst when you get chain tripped because it screws everything up and you wont get phials which makes it hard to do any damage at all or charge your shield up. When I get tripped on other classes I just laugh it off as a mild inconvenience but on CB I totally rage.

Extra hilarity involved when you guard point a monster attack and then some one with dual swords does their demon dance next to you triggering your guard animation for the whole time and instantly draining your entire stamina bar getting you murdered because you can't block or dodge when the monster does the next attack because your stamina bar is literally zero.

Vire fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 26, 2015

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
My favorite guard points are the ones where I GP somebody else's swing and the monster's head just happens to be nearby

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

CrusherEAGLE posted:

The online is pretty sweet compared to all the previous MH games.

You'll probably still have trouble getting people to do low rank gathering poo poo, because why? Just hurry up and get to high rank and then there's plenty of high rank gathering poo poo you can do instead :eng99:

But yeah the way to do it is just start a lobby and hope people join. Or look for a lobby that happens to be "In Gathering Hall" (so they're not already out on a quest, forcing you to wait) and doing the quest you want. YMMV.

I've had lots of success with random people, I play with randos probaly 60% of the time and with goons or IRL friends 40% of the time.

Every once in awhile somebody leaves or sucks at the game, but its mostly pretty good. Its hard to really grief other players other than being really really bad or bonking them with your weapon all the time, its not like people can ninja loot or anything. And you can't even chat while on a quest (dumb) so people can't insult you or anything.

:3: oh jeeze

http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-Monster-Rioreus-Rathalos-Hunter/dp/B003V5Y2KU
http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-Monster-Hunter-Plush-Ragiakurusu/dp/B006Y7G6S8
http://www.amazon.com/Capcom-Monster-Brachydios-Bracchidios-Japanese/dp/B005SY0AGC

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

enojy posted:

I wouldn't say so. It looks cool, but its set bonuses weren't for me. If you want to stay with Attack Up on your armor, you can either farm for the Rathalos set (not recommended this late in the story) or get up to HR4, unlock the high rank expedition map, and get one with a Velocidrome so you can unlock its guild quest and farm that set (it's called Velociprey (armor) S) instead. It's easy as piss (even though the high rank version obviously hits harder) and took me maybe an hour to farm the whole set. Gemmed with Attack decorations, it gives Attack Up (XL) and Torso Up/Half Stun. It's also a sizable defense upgrade compared to any low rank/story armor.

You can probably farm it even quicker if you let the Velocidrome/Palicoes kill off Velocipreys and carve them while you fight it, since the armor set calls for both Velocidrome and Velociprey parts.

I'm not particularly attached to Attack L/XL. Ideally I probably would want Sharpness+1 and Sharpener because I like to use both Dual Blades and Glaives.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I still can't get over the fact that the eeeevil gore magala weapons have mock German names. Rammstein should start playing when you equip them to complete the cycle.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Colapops posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the eeeevil gore magala weapons have mock German names. Rammstein should start playing when you equip them to complete the cycle.

it owns hard. they switch over to french when you upgrade them to shmancy shagaru weapons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

They're miles better than the horrible japanese names they had.

"Sound of Cry"

"Claw of Ripper"

"Ankh of Checker"

• Locked thread