Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

LittleFuryThings posted:

Interviewing for a developer job that pays 50K...in D.C.

So I hear this is where the terrible programmers hang out? Maybe I'll be one of you some day.

even if you're fresh out of school this is unnacceptable. it's insulting they'd even make an offer that low unless you're a self-taught high schooler or on a visa or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
actually i'm willing to bet fresh h1bs are paid better than that.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Necc0 posted:

actually i'm willing to bet fresh h1bs are paid better than that.

in dc in 2014, h1b workers with the job title "developer" were paid a hair under $75k on average: https://swizec.github.io/h1b-software-salaries/#2014-dc-developer

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My plan is to work for a few years here in the UK and then if there's nothing going on then try to take it stateside on an amazon sponsored visa

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

amazon lol

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cruise down those Seattle hills

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
that horrible opengl interop library i complained about was being used heavily in the backend of a project i'm on

it was almost entirely the matrix classes so for shits and giggles i homerolled a super basic set to replace them to see if there would be a speed increase

benchtest went from 1350ms to 200ms :catstare:

now to present it in a way that someone higher up takes credit for it and it actually makes it into production

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

LittleFuryThings posted:

Interviewing for a developer job that pays 50K...in D.C.

So I hear this is where the terrible programmers hang out? Maybe I'll be one of you some day.

My starting wage was significantly more than that at a company in the south with a much lower cost of living. They also paid relocation and are in fact a wonderful company to work for.

I was a high school dropout with barely over one year of programming experience. I definitely got lucky, but you can do better.

I mean take the job but keep searching for new jobs

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
hi, i'm illusive gently caress man and i'm a terrible programmer. When i graduated college, one of my professors recruited me for his startup company. It seemed great b/c we were creating unique things that nobody else has really thought of doing involving ~clouds~ and ~crypto~. my programming was really really bad back then.

now its two years later. my programming is a little better? definitely learned a lot. The core idea for the company is still Good and Cool but we started like three side projects, two of which are definitely complete poo poo and i want to shoot my dick off with a gun. boss keeps shuffling me from one thing to another. nothing really gets finished robustly, and then a month later he's like "how come x doesn't work right" - "because you took me off x to write this useless piece of poo poo client side java application that everyone is going to hate".

I kinda want to apply somewhere else, but I feel bad because a whole lot of things will completely fall apart if I leave (at least partly due to me doing a lot of stuff on my own early on and not documenting it well). also i have like 3% equity that idk if it has vested yet or even what vesting or equity mean precisely.

anyone know a job in NYC where a terrible programmer can write neat crypto poo poo in C/C++? whats bloomberg like?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

do you have equity which will take an appreciable dump by you leaving? no??

dont feel bad

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
you should feel bad for being a baby who can't make mundane big boy decisions without consulting an internet funy computer forum

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

you should feel bad for being a baby who can't make mundane big boy decisions without consulting an internet funy computer forum

excuse me you seem to have a hard time with the word safespace

Sharktopus
Aug 9, 2006

https://github.com/antirez/redis/issues/2253

quote:

Hello @wwat, you are right, there is a fundamental design flaw in Redis, we assumed that every user had an IQ greater than 42. This was one of the huge mistakes I did in the initial design. With new trends in IT, you can't really assume operations people always know where log files are located, nor that they are able to inspect it to find clues about why the system is complaining with an error. This is extremely clear when you mention the FLUSHALL problem. When certain users are not able to check or locate log files, go figure if they can imagine that allowing FLUSHALL is futile (and dangerous) since anyway the user will not be able to execute the next write command.

Many solutions were proposed to this issue. One was to allow downloading the Redis source code only after a quick IQ test, however this is time consuming for people that could pass the test easily. Another was to make the system so defensive against stupidity that you can barely use it at all, Redis would not be useful, but extremely safe and even a 1yo could use it. We are still not sure what to do with that and how to totally change the Redis development model to adapt to all the kind of users, so for now I'm closing this issue, and I plan to close the whole repository ASAP and start a new project called Dumbis, to fix not just this issue, but the whole class of similar issues.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

hi, i'm illusive gently caress man and i'm a terrible programmer. When i graduated college, one of my professors recruited me for his startup company. It seemed great b/c we were creating unique things that nobody else has really thought of doing involving ~clouds~ and ~crypto~. my programming was really really bad back then.

now its two years later. my programming is a little better? definitely learned a lot. The core idea for the company is still Good and Cool but we started like three side projects, two of which are definitely complete poo poo and i want to shoot my dick off with a gun. boss keeps shuffling me from one thing to another. nothing really gets finished robustly, and then a month later he's like "how come x doesn't work right" - "because you took me off x to write this useless piece of poo poo client side java application that everyone is going to hate".

I kinda want to apply somewhere else, but I feel bad because a whole lot of things will completely fall apart if I leave (at least partly due to me doing a lot of stuff on my own early on and not documenting it well). also i have like 3% equity that idk if it has vested yet or even what vesting or equity mean precisely.

anyone know a job in NYC where a terrible programmer can write neat crypto poo poo in C/C++? whats bloomberg like?

gently caress him, get out of there. but if u feel bad maybe document some poo poo in your notice period

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

oops sorry I will be more supportive in the future

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

wrong kind of terrible programmer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

oops sorry I will be more supportive in the future

i'll let it slide...but i have some powerful friends, named smythe

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
but seriously what goes wrong in someone's upbringing that they feel so obligated to their terrible employers that they feel guilt over quitting a poo poo job?? it's weirdly prevalent.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

but seriously what goes wrong in someone's upbringing that they feel so obligated to their terrible employers that they feel guilt over quitting a poo poo job?? it's weirdly prevalent.

being a terrible employer is a passive insult and so it doesn't feel right to return it with a direct insult

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

you know full communism would help with this

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

gonadic io posted:

being a terrible employer is a passive insult and so it doesn't feel right to return it with a direct insult

idk if he's a terrible employer. I'm paid well enough, hours are flexible, and i get deece bennies. i just feel like its so disorganized and half the stuff we're building is badly thought out, which gets frustrating sometimes. recently he's been like "we're gonna launch Thing in two weeks. im excited." and in my head i'm thinking "lmao not a chance in hell" but instead i say "hmm."

i think i want a job where somebody just gives me some specifications and i write the code that fits them and go home.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

idk if he's a terrible employer. I'm paid well enough, hours are flexible, and i get deece bennies. i just feel like its so disorganized and half the stuff we're building is badly thought out, which gets frustrating sometimes. recently he's been like "we're gonna launch Thing in two weeks. im excited." and in my head i'm thinking "lmao not a chance in hell" but instead i say "hmm."

i think i want a job where somebody just gives me some specifications and i write the code that fits them and go home.

sounds like you're not a good culture fit for being in an exciting startup.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gently caress everyone in that thread

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

My starting wage was significantly more than that at a company in the south with a much lower cost of living. They also paid relocation and are in fact a wonderful company to work for.

I was a high school dropout with barely over one year of programming experience. I definitely got lucky, but you can do better.

I mean take the job but keep searching for new jobs

man this makes me feel better about my bad programs

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the professor is the ceo isn't he

you're kinda doomed to be rudderless and never reduce your thing to practice, its not what professors do. i work for a university spin off, the professor is CTO, the CEO's job is to keep him away from the engineering team and pointed back towards the professor's grad students

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bhodi posted:

gs gets things like job security, three dozen vacation days, and OPM saying that we had a two hour delay today because of a light dusting of snow. Ancillary benefits that make it worth taking a lower salary. But if you're on your first job with probably a student loan it's gotta be all about the dolla dolla billz y'all.

student loan payments are wage adjusted so that part doesn't really matter

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this thread is no longer labelled as a safe space hth

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
Taco Defender

hobbesmaster posted:

the professor is the ceo isn't he

you're kinda doomed to be rudderless and never reduce your thing to practice, its not what professors do. i work for a university spin off, the professor is CTO, the CEO's job is to keep him away from the engineering team and pointed back towards the professor's grad students

lol he is. benefit: he's really good at writing grant applications. we're funded entirely by nsf / darpa. IMO he really should just accept some real vc money and hire people to manage things

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol he is. benefit: he's really good at writing grant applications. we're funded entirely by nsf / darpa. IMO he really should just accept some real vc money and hire people to manage things

he won't because he doesn't know how to do it, hes doing what he knows how to do and he almost certainly won't give up the reigns to his company which is what would be necessary

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
yospos im a front-end UI dev and i want to get better at Actual Real Programming, so what is the best way to move through code problems from the front end down into the back end all the way to the metal? i mean besides just picking a language and doing a bunch of tutorials. thank

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Power Ambient posted:

yospos im a front-end UI dev and i want to get better at Actual Real Programming, so what is the best way to move through code problems from the front end down into the back end all the way to the metal? i mean besides just picking a language and doing a bunch of tutorials. thank

write a monad tutorial. best way to start imo

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Power Ambient posted:

what you are doing is probably actual real programming

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
it's hard to consider using a bunch of jquery crutches real programming

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Power Ambient posted:

what's a front-end UI dev? $("body").hide()?

If you're in a big company, you're hosed, just leave. If you're in a small company, just ask to do backend stuff and say you're interested.
I don't know many people these days who do exclusively front-end unless they're a designer.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

its probably easier to start at the metal and work up than to work from front-end all the way down. lottttttaaa poo poo piled real high in between.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh unless you mean switch to back end then get close to the metal. i wonder if there are any assembly-oriented web frameworks.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Power Ambient posted:

can I interest you in node.js

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Power Ambient posted:

it's crutches all the way until you need to do division with 14 bytes of memory. So you're probably already programming, it won't be that different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

http://www.coboloncogs.org

• Locked thread