Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Life is Strange is the first game I have ever wanted to just outright punch in the face. It's like something by David Cage, but without the entrancing car crash novelty, or the sexual violence against women drinking game.

That's not a criticism of the play through, just the game itself. Liam's determination to murder the mean girls is wonderful.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheRealestMatt posted:

We're not doing the live action reaction bits. End of story.

Good

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

There's something very satisfying about hearing people sharing my hatred for auto-correct telling me I'm wrong for spelling "colour" the right way. Also I wish I was a rad animator person so I could do something with that Ikea segment from this week's podcast.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I about died laughing at the end of the second Life is Strange video. That came out of loving nowhere.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

I guess I'm one of the only ones enjoying Life is Strange so far. :(

It's like a cheesy high school movie from the 90's, but interactive! I like how open ended it is compared to a lot of modern day adventure games. I think I'm going to buy it this weekend.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 27, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It's like a cheesy high school movie from the 90's, but interactive! I'm like how open ended it is compared to a lot of modern day adventure games. I think I'm going to buy it this weekend.

Yeah, I'm seeing it the same way, it reminds me of those 90's high school but WEIRD tv shows and I can't hate it for that. Some of those lines went a bit past cheese into full cringe for me, tho.

Also, that ending also caught me by surprise, but that's such a "hipster" thing, it totally fits Max's character.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

There is a criminally low amount of hamburgerphones in Life is Strange.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It's like a cheesy high school movie from the 90's, but interactive! I'm like how open ended it is compared to a lot of modern day adventure games. I think I'm going to buy it this weekend.

I'm really digging it too. It has a lot of personality and clever bits, and the sometimes stilted writing still has charm behind it. It really is a just like a David Cage game, but made by his mustachioed doppelganger, Cavid Dage.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Clip-On Fedora posted:

It's like a cheesy high school movie from the 90's, but interactive! I like how open ended it is compared to a lot of modern day adventure games. I think I'm going to buy it this weekend.

It's got a whole school full of artsy hipster teens, which SA seems to hate more than anything for whatever reason. I think it's pretty good so far.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kimmalah posted:

It's got a whole school full of artsy hipster teens, which SA seems to hate more than anything for whatever reason.

Artsy hipster teens and goons were both bullied in school, but the artsy hipster teens became cool in college unlike goons. Hope I was of help.

(but what about all the art goons you say well there's only one thing goons hate more than artsy hipster teens and that is themselves)

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
You know, that probably explains why I don't find the artsy teenage hipsters that insufferable in the game because I am that artsy and insufferable goon myself...

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Actually, you just made me think of So Weird which they aired on Disney Channel back in the day. Loved that show.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I noticed on the podcast that you guys were talking about OSW reviewing Royal Rumble 2001. I don't know if you've gotten this suggestion before but you should give the AE Podcast a whirl. It's three guys, one who watched the entire Attitude Era when he was younger, one who caught the latter half of the Attitude era, and one who is a wrestling fan but has never seen anything Attitude era aside from the WWE's usual brief highlight clips of it.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Dias posted:

Artsy hipster teens and goons were both bullied in school, but the artsy hipster teens became cool in college unlike goons. Hope I was of help.

(but what about all the art goons you say well there's only one thing goons hate more than artsy hipster teens and that is themselves)

True. :v: It's too bad, because it's a good playthrough so far and it's a shame to get hung up on the fact that the game lays it on a little thick with the "so deep" stuff sometimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kimmalah posted:

It's got a whole school full of artsy hipster teens, which SA seems to hate more than anything for whatever reason. I think it's pretty good so far.

I got no beef with hipsters, I hate hipsters written as if fifty year old men were the ones behind them because those people don't exist but if they did they'd be loving terrible.

Great playthrough, though, as always the SBFs spin gold outta turds.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Compendium posted:

Actually, you just made me think of So Weird which they aired on Disney Channel back in the day. Loved that show.

Man I liked that show too. Looking back on it and it hasn't aged that great but it did the "monster of the week" formula well enough, and I don't think any of the teens in the show actually ever went to school because of the road trip premise. It's a shame the finale had to be censored/rewritten.
I remember them switching the protagonist at some point after that for some reason.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Life is strange is a weird one. I don't mind the "spot the archtype" bullshit any game set in a highschool has to pull. Nor do I mind how ernest and progressive it's trying to be. I just found it boring :(. Like I didn't expect to be this bored by a cool sounding time travel story. I think I might just be jaded as gently caress. Maybe the game is gonna pull a pace shift out of nowhere and time demons will start time pulling people into the time walls and the story ends with you having to time battle with that horrible girl who is now a time bitch.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 27, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
life is strange lets you rewind time so you can make sure a skateboarder hits himself in the dick with his own board, and then take a photo of him while he's writhing on the ground in agony

this game's alright

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You need another ability that lets you have the choice of letting others know they're stuck in a loop. So you can hit that guy in the balls and then do it again. And he remembers. Every time. How many times will it take to make him break? Then you let time carry on. Time.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, I'm just listening to this weeks podcast today.

No less than fifteen minutes into it and...

WOOLIE, THAT MOTHERFUCKER. HE KILLED LEONARD NEMOY.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I liked Bio F.R.E.A.K.S when I was a kid. Not sure why. I was probably dumb.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This Max callout video is pretty good podcast material.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

oh god, bio freaks is like the embodiment of late 90s cheese that i have a soft spot for

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know, I was just about buying the Not JoJo's Time Magic insanity of Life is Strange until the main character mentioned the Final Fantasy movie being the best SciFi Movie.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
About the SMRPG finale:

LIAM YOU SAID IT WAS NOT A PENIS WHAT THE gently caress MAN

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Best Friends going to Brazil Jim Norton/Patrice O'Neal style would be amazing.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

All Hail Neo Canada-2 Superpresident, Bret 'the Hitman' Hart

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

doos posted:

All Hail Neo Canada-2 Superpresident, Bret 'the Hitman' Hart

I can think of someone more worthy of the post.

Gretzky.

I mean, it does have to be one or the other. It's zero-sum, we need a Canadian hero, and those are the Canadianest heroes.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 28, 2015

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
And thus began the neo-tag team battle between Neo Canada's Bret Hart and Wayne Gretzky and America II's Hoke Hogen and Duke Nukem.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

You know, I was just about buying the Not JoJo's Time Magic insanity of Life is Strange until the main character mentioned the Final Fantasy movie being the best SciFi Movie.

I have a theory that everybody has ONE movie that the rest of the world hates and they love. For Max, that movie is Spirits within.

( for me it's Lady In the Water.)

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Clip-On Fedora posted:

I have a theory that everybody has ONE movie that the rest of the world hates and they love. For Max, that movie is Spirits within.

( for me it's Lady In the Water.)

Seriously, I legitimately liked Miss March, which has a 5% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I am starting to turn on LiS. They press too far into Adults Writing Teenagers and Matt's comparison to DP makes me not appreciate the weird movie stuff by comparison.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rodyle posted:

I am starting to turn on LiS. They press too far into Adults Writing Teenagers and Matt's comparison to DP makes me not appreciate the weird movie stuff by comparison.

It's super Adults Writing Teenagers, and that's the main reason why I can enjoy it. Because I'm a True Hipster and bad things from two decades ago are my jam.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

New Mystery Box video!

I was really hoping it was the Family Guy game. :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ugh, sorry Matt but the guys really should of told you to cut down on the Simpsons jokes on the most recent video, It was super overwhelming.

[sp]I'm kidding but really, I couldn't hear any audio in the game at all. Even when you guys were completely silent[/spoiler]

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 1, 2015

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It was fine in the wrestling one but in this you're just drowing out the game and it's annoying. Also I distinctly remember Hit and Run having subtitles.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
p. sure this video is literally just an excuse for them to make simpsons quotes for half an hour

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

p. sure this video is literally just an excuse for them to make simpsons quotes for half an hour

I fail to see the problem.

Also Matt you'd probably be happy to hear that we have a Simpsons quote thread that's 400+ pages at this point :)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TriffTshngo posted:

Yea agreed, and it's the best reason to make a video, really.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kimmalah posted:

I fail to see the problem.

Wasn't claiming it to be. That was in response to the post above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
When I saw the Gracie Films logo I was hoping for a Critic game...