Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

what is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Suspicious Dish posted:

remove "bloat", people complain

put "bloat" in a menu, people complain

what are we supposed to do

leave menu bars alone because they were fine, and nobody was complaining about them, and they made it easy to find the things your program could do with a standard structure everyone understood, even people who had never used a linux before?

but I guess "it ain't broke so we won't try to fix it" is boring, and if you don't have an eternal Grand Quest to Redefine Interface Paradigms then you might have to fix existing bugs or something terrible like that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Gotta design for all those linux tablets out there lol

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The whole reason hamburger basements exist is because on devices with limited screen real-estate, you can't display a proper menu. There is no reason for them to exist on a desktop. If your phone app needs a hamburger basement then it is a sign the your app might be trying to do too much. If you use a hamburger basement on desktop then you are just cargo-culting phone app design because you don't understand what makes it popular.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

ZShakespeare posted:

The whole reason hamburger basements exist is because on devices with limited screen real-estate, you can't display a proper menu. There is no reason for them to exist on a desktop. If your phone app needs a hamburger basement then it is a sign the your app might be trying to do too much. If you use a hamburger basement on desktop then you are just cargo-culting phone app design because you don't understand what makes it popular.

Nice 800x600 CRT erasure.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Nice 800x600 CRT erasure.

i believe the term is "supersession"

- sent from my 2880 x 1800 notebook computer

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
hamburger menus are even worse when app developers can't even decide if they want them on the top right or top left.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

reminder that evince has a hamburger menu right next to a wrench menu and good luck in remembering which menu contains which options

oh, and there's a third menu on the opposite side of the screen, but fortunately it contains nothing useful

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 26, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
So according to this thread

[ Title --------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ File Edit View Help ------------------------------------------------------]
[ the actual content -------------------------------------------------------]

is better than

[ Back - Fwd - Title --------------------------Zoom - Hamburger --]

Even notebooks have wider and shorter displays these days, so vertical real estate is very precious. I don't have a problem with it.

Agreed though the combination of hamburger and wrench menu right next to each other is pretty fuckin stupid. Pre-release notes for GNOME 3.16 say that Evince's UI has been tweaked somehow but it looks the same to me incl. the two menus next to each other

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

reminder that evince has a hamburger menu right next to a wrench menu and good luck in remembering which menu contains which options

oh, and there's a third menu on the opposite side of the screen, but fortunately it contains nothing useful

this is much better than "file" and "options" because

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr Dog posted:

So according to this thread

[ Title --------------------------------------------------------------------]
[ File Edit View Help ------------------------------------------------------]
[ the actual content -------------------------------------------------------]

is better than

[ Back - Fwd - Title --------------------------Zoom - Hamburger --]

Even notebooks have wider and shorter displays these days, so vertical real estate is very precious. I don't have a problem with it.

Agreed though the combination of hamburger and wrench menu right next to each other is pretty fuckin stupid. Pre-release notes for GNOME 3.16 say that Evince's UI has been tweaked somehow but it looks the same to me incl. the two menus next to each other

having a "hamburger" icon at a readable size will take up just as much vertical space as the word "edit" or "options"

it's just dumb cargo cult bullshit. ipad apps do this so i guess my desktop app should

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
fwiw any time I use Eclipse I end up hunting through Source, Navigate, Project menus because those distinctions are no less arbitrary

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is much better than "file" and "options" because

because forcing the user to hover over the hamburger menu to see the "File options" tooltip and hover over the wrench icon to see "View options" and then look at the contents of both menus anyway is good design!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
they're less arbitrary because they're bound to keystrokes: (S)ource, (N)avigate, (P)roject

am i supposed to hit alt "H" for "hamburger"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

of course not.

tablets don't have keyboards

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Mr dog incredibly has terrible opinions in practically every facet of technology

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

I like GNOME 3 :shobon:

mostly.

And hamburgers menus. Just wow, wow. Just wow .... Wow

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

fwiw any time I use Eclipse I end up hunting through Source, Navigate, Project menus because those distinctions are no less arbitrary

do you think this would be improved if all the options were crammed into a hamburger?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Menu navigation was actually that regularly came up in user testing, and is something that regularly annoys me in Windows apps as well. Newer Windows apps don't have classic menubars anymore.

Quick, where is the Preferences in Adobe Photoshop, MS Word and Visual Studio?

File -> Preferences
Edit -> Preferences
Tools -> Options

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Mr Dog posted:

maybe computers just aren't for you man. every though about... not using a computer?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If you really wanted to cargo cult apple but hate the global menu because you like having an empty black bar at the top of the screen, you would be better off doing

[ Title - File - Edit - View - Help -----------------------]

You could even break out some commonly used functions!

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

Menu navigation was actually that regularly came up in user testing, and is something that regularly annoys me in Windows apps as well. Newer Windows apps don't have classic menubars anymore.

File -> Preferences
Edit -> Preferences
Tools -> Options

Well they're all under preferences under their menu, right next to the apple menu

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
brasero cant add this mp4 to dvd author. other dvd tools UBUNTUFORUMS or the arch wiki or IDK are the most insane poo poo ever, what good dvd authoring tool? ubuntu.... linux.... ideally like for noobs. click file ... add... burn. u know. i dont watnt to make a video.ts and audio.ts then do a thing in terminal, hen burn them or whatever. wtf is that poo poo. jesus christ

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Cool, so you're saying that menubars are bad and you prefer a one menu that has everything.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

File -> Preferences
Edit -> Preferences
Tools -> Options

Yeah for metro you have to massage the right side of the screen with the cursor to simulate sliding your finger onto the screen from the right from offscreen to prompt a completely hidden menu to show up that contains a hamburger basement that looks like a gear.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

if we are going to unironically take UI tips from microsoft metro, i don't think i can keep posting in this thread

Suspicious Dish posted:

File -> Preferences
Edit -> Preferences
Tools -> Options

more importantly, where is 'save as' ? it's not under a hamburger menu. it's File -> Save As. it's a descriptively named option, with a keyboard accelerator, under a descriptively named menu, with a keyboard accelerator.

where it's been for thirty years.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

pram posted:

Well they're all under preferences under their menu, right next to the apple menu
and all bound to cmd+,

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

apple mobile website has the best hamburger menu

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

File -> Preferences
Edit -> Preferences
Tools -> Options

well I'm glad new trendy apps have solved this problem ..........

............ by introducing even more places something might be hidden, except now it's not just some words that are different, now they all look and behave completely differently from one another as well!

PROGRESS!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

today i tried to use evince, the gnome 3 pdf reader. they replaced all the file, edit, etc menus with a loving "hamburger" button, like i'm using a 7" ipad mini and can't use real menus.

but that's not enough. they hosed up dpi independence, so the "hamburger" button is so small i can barely click it with my mouse. it's maybe an eighth of an inch. if i tried to use the touchscreen, it would be completely impossible to hit.

this is a 220 dpi screenshot, so the scrollbars and window title are a normal width/size. it's all the buttons that are hosed up.

no this is a 220 dpi screenshot

Sniep fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 26, 2015

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
how and why is x still a thing holy poo poo next are you going to tell me that xfree86 is too

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Sniep posted:

no hamburger basement. clearly made by a first year design student.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sniep posted:

Classy, tasteful, timeless

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if we are going to unironically take UI tips from microsoft metro, i don't think i can keep posting in this thread

I was actually talking about the Windows 7 explorer.exe.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wild EEPROM posted:

how and why is x still a thing holy poo poo next are you going to tell me that xfree86 is too

xfree86 is not a thing. killing x is my part-time job.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I was actually talking about the Windows 7 explorer.exe.

ah, yes, the one where the old menus appear as soon as you press alt so everyone who knows how to use a computer can carry on being productive?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Suspicious Dish posted:

xfree86 is not a thing. killing x is my part-time job.

i believe there is some bsd that still uses xfree86

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

bsd isn't a thing either

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's deprecated on all of them, but available on some for legacy support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

ah, yes, the one where the old menus appear as soon as you press alt so everyone who knows how to use a computer can carry on being productive?

I actually legitimately did not know that was a feature.