Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So my last session of DH2E there was some disagreement about reactions. My reading of the rules is that ranged weapons can only be evaded using Dodge and melee weapons can be evaded using Dodge or Parry. The disagreement is that one of my players believes that if an enemy is adjacent to his character and attacks with, say, a laspistol then his character can evade with Parry if he wants to because by being adjacent to him the NPC has the "engaged in melee" condition. What are peoples' thoughts on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

So my last session of DH2E there was some disagreement about reactions. My reading of the rules is that ranged weapons can only be evaded using Dodge and melee weapons can be evaded using Dodge or Parry. The disagreement is that one of my players believes that if an enemy is adjacent to his character and attacks with, say, a laspistol then his character can evade with Parry if he wants to because by being adjacent to him the NPC has the "engaged in melee" condition. What are peoples' thoughts on this?

I run it as if you could reasonably defend yourself by knocking your opponent's weapon away, you can use parry. So, I'd let him parry pistol shots if he's engaged in melee with the thing that's trying to shoot him, because he could bat the gun away or something like that.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I don't think attacks with pistols in melee are considered ranged attacks. They don't get range bonuses. I'd allow the parry for the same reasons apostateCourier mentioned.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I agree, I'd allow parrying pistols in melee.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The people have spoken!

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Pharmaskittle posted:

I agree, I'd allow parrying pistols in melee.

Which would be fun when someone with a power weapon parries a plasma pistol.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Gaghskull posted:

:getin:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Gaghskull posted:

An excellent point for allowing pistols to be parried.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
So because being the sperg is fun, rules as written:

- Parry specifically says 'An acolyte targeted by melee attacks can turn aside these attacks using the Parry skill.'.
- Standard Attack says 'The active character makes either one melee attack by making an Ordinary (+10) Weapon Skill Test or one ranged attack by making an Ordinary (+10) Ballistic Skill test.'
- Pistols are all in the Ranged section/have a range characteristic/make no mention of melee, so make ranged attacks and thus can't be parried.

Rules of cool:

Go ahead, though I'd give the weapons armour ratings and have them take damage depending on quality/power field, etc.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You parry the bolt pistol with your powersword, slicing straight through the ammunition. The wielder's hand vanishes in the ensuing explosion. Immediately resolve 1d10+5 Impact damage on everyone within d10 metres.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fellblade posted:

So because being the sperg is fun, rules as written:

- Parry specifically says 'An acolyte targeted by melee attacks can turn aside these attacks using the Parry skill.'.
- Standard Attack says 'The active character makes either one melee attack by making an Ordinary (+10) Weapon Skill Test or one ranged attack by making an Ordinary (+10) Ballistic Skill test.'
- Pistols are all in the Ranged section/have a range characteristic/make no mention of melee, so make ranged attacks and thus can't be parried.

I'm assuming DH2 is quite close to OW when I say that I don't follow. Attacks made in melee, against a person you are also in melee with, are melee attacks. They may come from a club, your hands, or a weapon that can also make ranged attacks, but if they're in melee, they're melee.

The big question is what do you do about semi- and full-auto bursts from pistols in melee. Do these count as swift or lightning attacks?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

I'm assuming DH2 is quite close to OW when I say that I don't follow. Attacks made in melee, against a person you are also in melee with, are melee attacks. They may come from a club, your hands, or a weapon that can also make ranged attacks, but if they're in melee, they're melee.

The big question is what do you do about semi- and full-auto bursts from pistols in melee. Do these count as swift or lightning attacks?

The distinction is made in the pistol rules that they can attack 'in close-combat' rather than melee.

If you were going full-retard you could say pistols can't be used in melee because it say's close-combat, but then you can't use melee weapons in melee because they also say close-combat. Close-combat doesn't seem to be defined anywhere, but it talks about being in 'melee-combat' and 'in melee' in the disengage section.

Semi-auto and Full-auto count as Semi-auto and Full-auto, because they are ranged attack types that can be made in close-combat if using a pistol.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 26, 2015

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

My opinion is largely the same as Fellblade's. The rules are fairly clear, and honestly I'm not going to begrudge a pistol's user of their least bad option when something gets in their face and they can't bring something bigger to bear against some crazy with a far meaner sword.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shooting a pistol while fighting hand to hand with a dude uses the shooting rules, not hand weapon rules.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Well, if you're shooting it at someone else it does.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Melee is used in the standard gaming usage to mean any weapon that isn't used at range. If you are firing a gun, you are making a ranged attack, no matter how close or what circumstance it is in.

As in the Only War two weapon fighting rules covering use of sword and pistol (emph. mine):

quote:

If a character with the Two-Weapon Wielder (Melee) and Two Weapon Wielder (Ballistic) Talent is armed with a melee weapon in one hand and a pistol in the other, he may perform a melee Attack Action (either a Standard Attack, Swift Attack, or Lightning Attack) or ranged Attack Action (such as Standard Attack, SemiAuto Burst, or Full-Auto Burst) with one weapon. He may then make a second melee Attack Action or ranged Attack Action with his secondary weapon. Any pistol hits must be against targets in melee. Resolve each attack separately by Testing Weapon Skill for the melee weapon and Ballistic Skill for the pistol.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

Hey all. I took a years-long break from this game to focus on school and life and stuff and now I have more free time and money and I'm interested in diving back in. I have a question.

So, I have some Imperial Guard, Ork, and Chaos stuff. I like all three armies thematically. My question is... which one is the cheapest to get into? Last I played troop transports were very important and I don't think I can afford a bunch of guardsman in chimeras (I played a gunline... is that viable right now?) or orks in trukks. Chaos I could do: one or two rhinos isn't a huge investment.

I see a lot of new, expensive, and very large models like airships and giant mechs... are these especially mandatory for a competitive list? I mostly play for fun and won't mind playing a sub-par army but I'd like to at least have a bit of a chance to win friendly games without dropping over a hundred bucks on a single model.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Hey all. I took a years-long break from this game to focus on school and life and stuff and now I have more free time and money and I'm interested in diving back in. I have a question.

So, I have some Imperial Guard, Ork, and Chaos stuff. I like all three armies thematically. My question is... which one is the cheapest to get into? Last I played troop transports were very important and I don't think I can afford a bunch of guardsman in chimeras (I played a gunline... is that viable right now?) or orks in trukks. Chaos I could do: one or two rhinos isn't a huge investment.

I see a lot of new, expensive, and very large models like airships and giant mechs... are these especially mandatory for a competitive list? I mostly play for fun and won't mind playing a sub-par army but I'd like to at least have a bit of a chance to win friendly games without dropping over a hundred bucks on a single model.

Unfortunately you're in the thread for filthy roleplayers. The thread for 40K The Wargame is right here.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

WHOOPS MY BAD.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I'm also on the side that says pistols, and any ranged attacks, may only be dodged, even if in close combat. As others have said, by looking at the rules, it's rather clear that parry is only for melee attacks; which is one of many reasons i find parry a waste compared to dodge, but that's a whole other discussion.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

A lot of people in this thread have not seen the movie Equilibrium.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Clanpot Shake posted:

A lot of people in this thread have not seen the movie Equilibrium.

Total bullshit but completely awesome, I agree. The duel at the end is pretty much exactly what I was talking about.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Werix posted:

I'm also on the side that says pistols, and any ranged attacks, may only be dodged, even if in close combat. As others have said, by looking at the rules, it's rather clear that parry is only for melee attacks; which is one of many reasons i find parry a waste compared to dodge, but that's a whole other discussion.

Your weapon can give you up to like a +15 on parry checks and there's at least one talent that benefits it (counter attack), while I think dodge has no such advantages. I see your point, but don't think it's quite so one-sided.

Also, we have a house rule that you need to be near some semblance of cover to attempt a dodge against most ranged attacks because dodging bullets in the middle of the street is dumb.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

Your weapon can give you up to like a +15 on parry checks and there's at least one talent that benefits it (counter attack), while I think dodge has no such advantages. I see your point, but don't think it's quite so one-sided.

Also, we have a house rule that you need to be near some semblance of cover to attempt a dodge against most ranged attacks because dodging bullets in the middle of the street is dumb.

If you are in the middle of the street and are built for dodging you pretty much just do anime pivots.

Edit: I mean clearly some of you don't get that this isn't a tactically realistic setting at all and that you're supposed to be able to do hilarious poo poo. If someone wants to parry bullets and has the points to conceivably do it that's completely loving awesome.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 27, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The upsides to parry compared to dodge are that it's easier to find sources of bonuses (your basic Balanced weapon is a +10 to parry right there) and also that your ability to parry naturally rises along with your ability to attack well, while dodge is a separate factor altogether and thus requires its own greater investiture in XP.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
My GM buddy and our party had it out over the ranged-weapons-in-melee thing after we had a hairy combat encounter as a ranged-specced party versus crazy little melee critters in a cramped Hive. Glad to see you've come to some of the same conclusions.

Our houserule is currently this: a successful Parry completely nullifies all the shots of a ranged attack (Where dodge only lets you dodge a number of hits based on DoS, as normal). Imagine it as the other guy grabbing your weapon and pointing it away when you pull the trigger.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Get fully trained in parry, get an Eldar powersword, parry at +50 and chump dudes.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

KlavoHunter posted:

Our houserule is currently this: a successful Parry completely nullifies all the shots of a ranged attack (Where dodge only lets you dodge a number of hits based on DoS, as normal). Imagine it as the other guy grabbing your weapon and pointing it away when you pull the trigger.

But then imagine it as the other guy doing it somewhat badly and only being partially successful in his attempt, so he still gets shot twice instead of three times. Seriously, why would you make that particular change? Melee combat switched over to being DoS based for a reason, I'm not sure why you'd suddenly decide this particular area of combat resolution is improved by a switch to the defender making a binary pass/fail test that the attacker can't influence.

LGD fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 28, 2015

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

KlavoHunter posted:

Yeah I'm in favour of parrying pistol melee attacks instead of "this melee is actually a shooting match" but this is a little too far the other way. I would personally keep it as one DoS on the parry nullifies one hit.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am not convinced in any way that the DH line is particularly well balanced in any of its iterations anyway. Like "Oh well actually you can boost your parry to insane levels quite easily" doesn't strike me as an intentional design choice given what else goes on in the system.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Yeah, parry is always inferior to dodge except for things like in blackcrusade where if you're a khornate/nurgle parry is cheap and dodge is super expensive.

That still doesn't mean that every single pc should not take at least dodge+0. There are no circumstances where parry works and dodge doesn't, but plenty of the opposite!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am not convinced in any way that the DH line is particularly well balanced in any of its iterations anyway. Like "Oh well actually you can boost your parry to insane levels quite easily" doesn't strike me as an intentional design choice given what else goes on in the system.

It isn't. After being away from it for a couple weeks I start to dread coming back to this system and its crazy bad rocket tag and evasion heavy design. I would say the high evasion chances are intentional, though, once they realized their damage math is such that just about every other defensive tactic is useless or near useless.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.

LuiCypher posted:

Also, I want to create a Deathwatch campaign sometime in the near future. The working title is: The Last Crusade of the Marines Errant. The overall objective will be to locate the flagship of the Red Corsairs (and consequently Huron Blackheart) and sink it. Naturally this is taking place sometime after the Fall of Vilamus, when the Marines Errant have confronted their chapter's sudden mortality and decided that the best way to go out is to take their hated enemy down with them.

(Of course, it might still be possible to recover the Marines Errant's geneseed from their hated enemy as well...)

Preference will be given to Marines Errant Marines. Chapter selection will be limited to those Chapters that participated in the Badab War, since they have a vested interest in finishing what they started. Players would start at Rank 4, but would not have Deathwatch Training. Instead, they would have Hatred (Red Corsairs) or I would just replace the effect of Deathwatch Training with auto-confirming Righteous Fury on CSMs.

Not sure if I want to run this in-person or PbP. The general structure of the campaign would have similar pacing to the Dawn of War II mission scheme - players would be given a selection of potential targets, with Primary targets furthering the campaign (in other words, discovering clues or gathering evidence hinting at the current location of the Red Corsair's fleet in the Maelstrom) and Secondary targets granting advantages that make Primary targets easier to accomplish, like Relics for the party or perhaps freeing up some Imperial Navy forces to orbitally bombard the target (would reduce the Magnitude of enemy Hordes, decrease the number of Elites that the party would have to muck through, eliminate the enemy's heavy fire support like denying them access to Defilers or other Daemon Engines).

Either way, would need to be very clear about the impact certain objectives would have on the gamescape. Let me know if you all have any suggestions!

You can count me in as a player and oversystem idea man. I want to be Doctor Eatface (Carcarodons Apothecary).

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
The system: Rogue Trader Apocalypse World

The pitch: Last, Best Hope For Peace

The Ethereals of the Tau have come to a conclusion: The humans are so devoted to their Emperor that there will be no peace, ever, unless it comes from him directly.

So they're sending a diplomatic mission to Terra! United under the command of the greatest Water Caste diplomat in all of Tau space, equipped with a brand new high-tech Tau stealth ship, an experimental Warp Drive and a diverse multiracial crew, the Tau have officially launched the greatest diplomatic mission of all time. The crew will travel from world to world, building positive relations with the people as they pass, boldly explore the frontiers of known space, find the location of Terra and then petition the Emperor directly with a peace treaty.

The Tau have armed and equipped this mission well because they believe that humanity's Empire has no less than one hundred planets under its control! Hopefully the Emperor is a reasonable man.

The PCs: The last Squat in the universe, a Kroot Shaper, a Tau diplomat, and a human Missionary who has earnestly synthesised the Greater Good with the Imperial Faith.

The Theme: The slow destruction of naivety. It's like Star Trek crossed with Apocalypse Now.

So does anyone have any ideas for planets for them to visit? Early game they're passing through worlds on the border of Tau space where things seem reasonable but as time goes on things are going to get more and more insanely 40K. Notably their mission is to make as many friends as possible which is a little different from the Rogue Trader standard.

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 2, 2015

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Me and some friends was running the demo to Deathwatch and we noticed that devastator was massively outperforming the assault marine in damage. Sure we did not follow the errata but even if we had there is no way the melee would be able to keep up with the "another hit for every degree of success" that the devastator was pumping out (when he was not jamming his gun). And what we could see in the rulebook the melee don't get any bonus from getting more degrees of success except for the "gives higher minimum damage on the roll"

Do the melee ever catch up with talents they get later or is range simply better when it comes to dealing damage in Deathwatch?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Lightning Assault and Swift Attack, basically melee auto and melee semi-auto. They are talents, and should be pretty easy to get for an assault marine (as a far as I know, haven't played Deathwatch).

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Yea i gave him the swift attack talent that assault marines should start with but for some reason the one in the demo does not have it. But even with that its only one extra attack without bonuses when the devastator get +20 from the full auto attack, (that more or less means 2 extra attacks). It just feels weird that melee feels so lackluster in a setting that usually have a lot of big angry people hitting each other over the head. Sure i could fix it with some house rules, but it would be good to know if its needed if melee get stronger later.

Shadiiw fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Mar 2, 2015

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Oh wait right Deathwatch follows the old rules, before they changed the rules for multiple attacks. There is a very good reason why the old combat system was changed eventually, and honestly if I were you I'd just use the combat rules from one of the newer versions of 40k rpgs, since they make the combat rules make some actual sense (like changing the bonuses for shooting to +10 single, +0 semi-auto, -10 full auto, and making swift attack and lightning attack into melee versions of semi-auto and full auto).

Shadiiw
Apr 22, 2010
Yea after looking at the rules in only war I will definitely start to use the rules from that. It makes a lot more sense. And thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

So does anyone have any ideas for planets for them to visit? Early game they're passing through worlds on the border of Tau space where things seem reasonable but as time goes on things are going to get more and more insanely 40K. Notably their mission is to make as many friends as possible which is a little different from the Rogue Trader standard.

At some point they will need to discover a hellish world where the people are forced to slave away at hard labour, 18 hours a day with minimal food, watched over by heavily armed guards with huge guns who execute anyone who steps the smallest bit out of line.

Then they can discover they were sent there for littering.

edit - Because that's basically an episode of Star Trek already